Retired IBM Mktg. Mgr. PlayBook and Forum lover.

It is at least 10x more difficult to sell to new customers than it is to existing customers.

I have been astounded by the number of friends who run their business on BB's and have never even heard of PlayBook, never mind understanding the feature/function/benefits of Bridge.

RIM should be specifically targetting their 75 million BB subscribers with a Mktg. Program to explain the benefits of Bridge and offering a special discount on Playbooks to BB subscribers only.

Come on Forum members, get those creative juices working and tweak, add, improve on the above.

I know for sure, thanks to Kevin that RIM is now paying rapt attention to this Forum.
    Last edited by CairnsRock; 02-10-12 at 12:42 AM.
    02-08-12 01:11 AM
    Well we ALL have BBM .... why not send out a BBM mass message with a scanable bar code offering $50 off a PlayBook ? To set up BBID we needed to supply an email address. How about a direct email to all BB users advising of the benifits etc and offering discount ?

How about a manufacturer rebate by BBMing RIM some special code once we receive the PB ?

Or instead of discounts on PBs offer all PB owners who also have BB phone $20 in free apps (user chooses) as a promo ? Yeah sure someone will complain its not enough or whatever, but its MUCH more than the "other guys" are offering. Also it would bolster AppWorld access and familiarity. It would also bolster app purchases and hence encourage more apps to be created, creating more app purchases etc.

RIM has the info available at their finger tips. . . . lets start using it. The ONLY reason Facebook is worth so much is due to their data mining of user info. RIM lets utilize the user info available to you and keep the momentum going !!!

Lets Rock and Roll This !
    MTL, rotorwrench, stevepar and 1 others like this.
    02-08-12 01:22 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    good suggestions .. keep them coming! .. RIM will take note with the new CEO! .....
    02-08-12 01:43 AM
    great products, bad business skills. RIM's story

They should have also marketted the bridge better and offered new BB + Playbook packages. That would have solved the "no native calendar / email issue, and thery would have incresed thir subscriber base. Seriously, instead of 2 PBs for the price of one (which doesnt really make sense to me) they could havve had a bold 9900 + Playbook at the original price. I didnt run the numbers but i think it would sell more and at a lower cost (for rim) than their existing offers. A few more native stock games would have gone a long way too i think.
    Bisboxer, CDM76 and allsportsfan like this.
    02-08-12 02:09 AM
    First of all my credentials. Retired IBM Mktg. Mgr. PlayBook and Forum lover.

It is at least 10x more difficult to sell to new customers than it is to existing customers.

I have been astounded by the number of friends who run their business on BB's and have never even heard of PlayBook, never mind understanding the feature/function/benefits of Bridge.

RIM should be specifically targetting their 75 million BB subscribers with a Mktg. Program to explain the benefits of Bridge and offering a special discount on Playbooks to BB subscribers only.

Come on Forum members, get those creative juices working and tweak, add, improve on the above.

I know for sure, thanks to Kevin that RIM is now paying rapt attention to this Forum.
    Do these BB owners need a tablet? Did they purchase competing products due to lack of knowledge on RIM's PB?

Not everyone needs or wants a tablet.

The price of Playbook is already heavily discounted today, are you suggesting there would be further discount to BB owners?
    02-08-12 07:44 AM
    great products, bad business skills. RIM's story

They should have also marketted the bridge better and offered new BB + Playbook packages. That would have solved the "no native calendar / email issue, and thery would have incresed thir subscriber base. Seriously, instead of 2 PBs for the price of one (which doesnt really make sense to me) they could havve had a bold 9900 + Playbook at the original price. I didnt run the numbers but i think it would sell more and at a lower cost (for rim) than their existing offers. A few more native stock games would have gone a long way too i think.
    Most BB phones are free with contract, some models are up to $99 but no more. If you add 16GB PB at regular price, the total up front cost would be $499 from $0. Unless the person really needs larger screen on another device to look at emails and other info that they can already do on BB, most people won't need a tablet, at that price level.

Sure, if PB can be subsidized together with the phone and offered at very very low price, that would be a different story but they cannot run that business model today.
    02-08-12 07:49 AM
    As a ploy to get the PB out there, it is a great idea.
    02-08-12 07:50 AM
    Do these BB owners need a tablet? Did they purchase competing products due to lack of knowledge on RIM's PB?

The price of Playbook is already heavily discounted today, are you suggesting there would be further discount to BB owners?
    Actually, many BB users do want/need a tablet. However, when Playbook was priced at same as iPad2, I chose iPad2 instead. I did then buy a Playbook when the 64GB drop to $299. It's really perfect for Blackberry. (One more thing, native-email-client is not needed for Blackberry users).
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-08-12 08:09 AM
    I agree with all the suggestions. I am constantly showing off the playbook whenever I can and am surprised at how many people that have never heard of it. a lot of them are BB users. I have never seen a BB ad myself, except on the internet. So, RIM really dropped the ball on the marketing end, to be sure.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-08-12 10:09 AM

You never will know if they want it without asking.

I think what he is saying was that there were 75 million customers of their products that they could have went after. Not all would even want one but some will. And if they don't know about it at all its hard for them to want it.

James
    02-08-12 11:39 AM
    You never will know if they want it without asking.

I think what he is saying was that there were 75 million customers of their products that they could have went after. Not all would even want one but some will. And if they don't know about it at all its hard for them to want it.

James
    My point is if they were looking for a tablet, they would easily find out PB is available from RIM. I never watch any Ads of any product, and I don't have BB, but I was well aware of availability of PB because I was looking for a tablet.

So these people who were not aware of PB, did they even look for a tablet?
    02-08-12 11:54 AM

I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you, that RIM's marketing is not up to snuff.

The better angle would be to find out if there are any business specific apps to be created for the PlayBook that your friends could use as a way to push them to the PlayBook.
    02-08-12 12:02 PM
    I think a promotion for OS 7 phones + PlayBook would be a good idea. They could tackle it from both angles: buy a BB OS7 phone, get a discount voucher toward a PlayBook; buy a PlayBook get a discount voucher toward a BB OS7 phone. It helps promote OS 7 phones as well as PlayBook. The discount voucher could be something RIM reimburses, meaning it would be in addition to sales or discounts from the carrier/retailer.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-08-12 12:10 PM
    I read in this forum that 2 million PBs have been sold. If a mktg program can convince 10% of 75,000,000 BB users to buy PBsthats 7,500,000 PBs. Even if only 1% are convinced thats 750,000.
    A worthy exercise indeed.

Can the BB users who own PB's identify why they bought their PB and what do they use it for. That would creat a "Compelling Reason to buy" for a Mktg. campaign to the 75,000,000 target BB phone users.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-10-12 12:31 AM
    Retired IBM Mktg. Mgr. PlayBook and Forum lover.

AMEN to this.
    Serve loyalty before conquest. (I guess I follow the wake my first marketing course (1986) at IBM marketing services FR :-))
    02-10-12 01:48 AM
    I like the idea of buying an OS7 device and getting a discount on the Playbook. I'd be on board with that! Also, sending the offer via our BBM or PIN is neat.
    02-10-12 06:33 AM
    I read in this forum that 2 million PBs have been sold. If a mktg program can convince 10% of 75,000,000 BB users to buy PBsthats 7,500,000 PBs. Even if only 1% are convinced thats 750,000.
    A worthy exercise indeed.

Can the BB users who own PB's identify why they bought their PB and what do they use it for. That would creat a "Compelling Reason to buy" for a Mktg. campaign to the 75,000,000 target BB phone users.
    BB cost next to nothing when you sign up for a contract. PB costs exactly what RIM ask for to users. Not all, probably few, BB owners will need a tablet PC.

You can suggest to BB owners that if they were to purchase a tablet, PB would make more sense but ultimately that's all up to each buyer.

At work, some colleagues do have BB issued by company. Very few of them owns PB or plans to purchase one. All my colleagues purchased PB recently are non BB users.
    02-10-12 06:44 AM
    Remember, also that with Playbook the dealer doesn't get to sell you a data package (with commission for dealer/salesperson and recurring revenue for the carrier... Also dealers get a % of active accounts they set up forever, so they push the device with the most $)
    02-10-12 08:13 AM
    Most BB phones are free with contract, some models are up to $99 but no more. If you add 16GB PB at regular price, the total up front cost would be $499 from $0. Unless the person really needs larger screen on another device to look at emails and other info that they can already do on BB, most people won't need a tablet, at that price level.

Sure, if PB can be subsidized together with the phone and offered at very very low price, that would be a different story but they cannot run that business model today.
    The free phone with contract is a US / Europe thing. In third world countries, where RIM's market share is still relatively decent but dropping like , BB phones still cost a lot. And users mostly use prepaid services.
    02-11-12 12:22 AM
    The free phone with contract is a US / Europe thing. In third world countries, where RIM's market share is still relatively decent but dropping like , BB phones still cost a lot. And users mostly use prepaid services.
    Including Canada, and many ASIAN countries. I guess some countries don't provide such offer, but regardless how they are sold, RIM gets the same money for each device.

So it will be even harder sell in these regions, since the overall cost will be that much higher, unless people there are much richer on average than US/Europe and can afford these devices at full prices easily.
    02-11-12 12:28 AM
    Including Canada, and many ASIAN countries. I guess some countries don't provide such offer, but regardless how they are sold, RIM gets the same money for each device.

So it will be even harder sell in these regions, since the overall cost will be that much higher, unless people there are much richer on average than US/Europe and can afford these devices at full prices easily.
    you dont get it. If RIM is willing to sell 2 Playbooks for the price of one, they can definitely throw in a BB7 instead of te extra Playbook. How wil that cost them more
    02-11-12 03:32 AM
    you dont get it. If RIM is willing to sell 2 Playbooks for the price of one, they can definitely throw in a BB7 instead of te extra Playbook. How wil that cost them more
    lol. RIM probably is willing to give. away PBs to anyone to increase market share. The current sales and 2 for 1 deals, do you think those are viable business options? We don't know yet but once OS 2.0 is released they have to price hardware at more reasonable level.
    02-11-12 07:16 AM
    They hit the mark with me. BBM and Bridge. Soon Phone Remote.
    02-11-12 08:34 AM
    Apparently millions of iPad users thought that having email is a good thing. I myself am looking forward to the native email on PB. If RIM had done this from the beginning we all might be talking a different story as all those users didn't necessarily have iphones to start.
    02-11-12 09:03 AM
    Here's a reason. My company had blsckberries as the mobile phone by choice We send each other lots of documents, especially spreadsheets which lookd awful and took too long to download on the OS 6 devices Pull out your playbook and presto you now can view your spreadsheet in a reasonable format,not as good as the native format on the iphone because of Docs to go but this is a big problem.
    02-11-12 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD