I had this idea before but thought would rehash it and see what people thought.

I really think RIM missed a boat when they released the playbook and bridge app. What RIM should of done was package the bridge software for android. Now hear my reasons for this.

1. when the playbook was released there weren't that many options for the for android tablets out there. this would of given them a way bigger market to sell to.
    2. This would of been way smarter then wasting time with an android app player. It would of gotten android developers more interested in the playbook and got them to write tablet specific apps, instead of just waiting to port over old apps.
    3. You would given the fastest growing smartphone OS native PIM on the playbook. So basically all reviews slamming the playbook for not having native PIM functions both the blackberry and android communities would of ganged up on anyone in blog posts.
    4. I think one of functions behind the idea of the bridge was to stick it to the carriers a little with free web access for a wifi only tablet. Given android users the option to a tablet without an extra data plan would of been huge.

Now I know some people like hating on the bridge idea as a bandaid for RIM to make up for not having native PIM, but after the updates it really works as it has been advertised.

I would think this is possible because of android being an open OS. I really think this would of been huge and a game changer for RIM. If android manufactures copied the idea RIM would still have a big step on them. I hope this something they would have at least thought about and maybe have something in works.
    06-22-11 08:40 PM
    sorry
    you make no sense

BB Bridge brings BES connectivity to your PlayBook including

How exactly would that work on an Android?
    06-22-11 08:45 PM
    sorry
    you make no sense

BB Bridge brings BES connectivity to your PlayBook including

How exactly would that work on an Android?
    it also works for BIS users. actually there are less problems for BIS users then BES users when it comes to the bridge browser.

they can make an android app player, i would think they could use android libraries to write a bridge like app for android phones
    06-22-11 08:51 PM
    It's "would have" not "would of."
    06-22-11 08:53 PM
    That would come along if RIM ever releases BBM for all platforms as was talked about some time ago.
    06-22-11 08:53 PM
    That would come along if RIM ever releases BBM for all platforms as was talked about some time ago.
    just not have bbm in it but email, calendar, browser, etc. android users don't use bbm anyhow.
    06-22-11 08:58 PM
    Well........... the others are suppose to be coming but who knows when.
    06-22-11 09:01 PM
    Broadening the market for your tablet could get you more tablet sales. Reducing the market could sell more phones.

Think about it.

Right now the BB phone is the exclusive phone to connect with PB, so if you have a PB and want bridge, you buy a phone. I am buying a new phone for bridge, so it works. I'm not into android, but i'd be tempted if androids worked.

Blackberry is not google, they're not trying to design an OS for 100 different phones.
    06-22-11 09:50 PM
    with RIMs current lineup of phones that theory doesnt fly. Maybe with QNX phones but there are not going to be people dropping droids and iphones just to use the bridge with the PB
    06-22-11 10:10 PM
    Broadening the market for your tablet could get you more tablet sales. Reducing the market could sell more phones.

Think about it.

Right now the BB phone is the exclusive phone to connect with PB, so if you have a PB and want bridge, you buy a phone. I am buying a new phone for bridge, so it works. I'm not into android, but i'd be tempted if androids worked.

Blackberry is not google, they're not trying to design an OS for 100 different phones.
    i did think about that but decided just to look at the tablet side of things because i knew it was a damned if do damned if you don't type solution.

i kind of wanted to reverse rims thinking on bringing android to the playbook and bring the playbook to android. also they would of got way better press and less rim is dead talk. that would of got people excited because there might have been more saying "look rim is still making great products, we know they need update their phones but they really poured resources into playbook so alot users would be happy."

I know this all theory but it's funnier to think this way then rehashing the same complaints about rim
    Last edited by Foreverup; 06-22-11 at 10:21 PM.
    06-22-11 10:12 PM
    with RIMs current lineup of phones that theory doesnt fly. Maybe with QNX phones but there are not going to be people dropping droids and iphones just to use the bridge with the PB
    I'm a perfect example, I'm getting a Playbook but have no intentions of dropping my Android phone for a BB phone.
    06-22-11 10:13 PM
    sad but very true i would say the same for OS 7 phones too.
    06-22-11 10:44 PM
    i did think about that but decided just to look at the tablet side of things because i knew it was a damned if do damned if you don't type solution.

i kind of wanted to reverse rims thinking on bringing android to the playbook and bring the playbook to android. also they would of got way better press and less rim is dead talk. that would of got people excited because there might have been more saying "look rim is still making great products, we know they need update their phones but they really poured resources into playbook so alot users would be happy."

I know this all theory but it's funnier to think this way then rehashing the same complaints about rim
    The RIM is dead talk is grossly over-exaggerated. But I'll eat my words if they're not around in five years.
    06-22-11 10:48 PM
    The RIM is dead talk is grossly over-exaggerated. But I'll eat my words if they're not around in five years.
    think so too in a way but all that talk does affect rim ie stock price. and i'm not talking about blogs like bgr or engadget but it is starting to get picked up by the mainstream media and when they get an idea they will run with it for along time, making it twice as hard for rim to right the ship.

edit: also to expand on the title of the thread with my first reason before the playbook was released pretty much the only android tablet getting press was the xoom. if rim would allowed android users to bridge at release and the way the xoom sort of failed android users might have said "hey this playbook works plus no extra data plan when i'm on the move", then they might like qnx os and maybe bought a bb when the qnx phones are released. also on the earnings call rim could of said we see phone sales dropped but there is real excitement about qnx look at the tablet sales. there might be more confidence if this happened.
    Last edited by Foreverup; 06-22-11 at 11:13 PM. Reason: one more quick idea
    06-22-11 11:01 PM
    think so too in a way but all that talk does affect rim ie stock price. and i'm not talking about blogs like bgr or engadget but it is starting to get picked up by the mainstream media and when they get an idea they will run with it for along time, making it twice as hard for rim to right the ship.
    I'm not that familiar with RIM's ownership structure but I am gonna go out on a limb and say that their day trade quota isn't going to change their strategy. Certainly, business talk can have a negative affect but I think RIM is one major announcement from turning heads. They need some new big partnership or a couple of high value partnerships.

Imagine if RIM and MS partnered up. I remember when netflix did and their stock shot up. And when MS announced a partnership with youtube, netflix dropped. Something like live tv on PB would be a big deal too.
    06-22-11 11:17 PM
    I'm not that familiar with RIM's ownership structure but I am gonna go out on a limb and say that their day trade quota isn't going to change their strategy. Certainly, business talk can have a negative affect but I think RIM is one major announcement from turning heads. They need some new big partnership or a couple of high value partnerships.

Imagine if RIM and MS partnered up. I remember when netflix did and their stock shot up. And when MS announced a partnership with youtube, netflix dropped. Something like live tv on PB would be a big deal too.
    pretty sure rim has proven they are not going to change their strategy based on stock prices and press, until now with the upcoming phones when they admitted they upgraded the specs because they knew they wouldn't sell with what they original were going to use.

and rim and microsoft have already partnered up it was announced at bb world and they are still catching a beating in the press.
    06-22-11 11:30 PM
    pretty sure rim has proven they are not going to change their strategy based on stock prices and press, until now with the upcoming phones when they admitted they upgraded the specs because they knew they wouldn't sell with what they original were going to use.

and rim and microsoft have already partnered up it was announced at bb world and they are still catching a beating in the press.
    I didn't hear about that.

However, RIM hasn't changed their strategy by upgrading the specs on their phone based on stock prices and press. You said it yourself. You said they upgraded it because they didn't think it would sell. Well, that sounds like an internal decision and is an internal decision. Just to point out, you said they knew it would not sell. You didn't say the press or others influenced their decision.

I feel like people throw a lot of flack at companies for perfectly rational business decisions. You're implying that they should have just released a phone that won't sell. So many companies probably would follow this cut and run approach. I am glad blackberry hasn't.

Sometimes the market changes unexpectedly. I bet at the time they drew up plans they predicted the phone would be a strong contender based on what they thought the market would look like at that time. Things have changed, why wouldn't their plan?
    06-23-11 12:37 AM
    I'm a perfect example, I'm getting a Playbook but have no intentions of dropping my Android phone for a BB phone.
    What Android do you have and what do you expect from the PB that you'd get it over say a Transformer, Flyer, Nook Color, either of the pending Galaxy Tabs, etc.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    06-23-11 12:38 AM
    A bridge to Android?

Android's already got a VNC server so you can remote it from Windows/Mac/Linux. A bridge to Android from the PB can use the same framework.

BTW, there's also a citric/xen client so if you think the enterprise is unassailable then you're asleep at the post, but I digress.

The B to A strategy is a pitch for PB owners to make Droid their next phone. Hoping to catch a couple Droid's to make the PB their tablet would have been maybe 4-5 month stop gap that fades with the onslaught on Android tablets. I say 1 month because the negative press of "WTF, I spent $500+ for a remote LCD for my phone" would have shed light on that brain-fart right quick.

Really, iOS may have it's walled garden but at least most of it's residents are cognizant of the deal. This pitch smells of a tunneled garden so dark it's denizens know no other reality.

BTW, wapforum, just wow. Tell me, does anyone here still use dial-up.

06-23-11 01:08 AM
    A bridge to Android?

Android's already got a VNC server so you can remote it from Windows/Mac/Linux. A bridge to Android from the PB can use the same framework.

BTW, there's also a citric/xen client so if you think the enterprise is unassailable then you're asleep at the post, but I digress.

The B to A strategy is a pitch for PB owners to make Droid their next phone. Hoping to catch a couple Droid's to make the PB their tablet would have been maybe 4-5 month stop gap that fades with the onslaught on Android tablets. I say 1 month because the negative press of "WTF, I spent $500+ for a remote LCD for my phone" would have shed light on that brain-fart right quick.

Really, iOS may have it's walled garden but at least most of it's residents are cognizant of the deal. This pitch smells of a tunneled garden so dark it's denizens know no other reality.

BTW, wapforum, just wow. Tell me, does anyone here still use dial-up.

You clearly don't understand what the bridge app does because it is not a VPN client. Also droid customers wouldn't want the ability to use their wifi only tablet on the go to access the web and emails for free? There are places out there without wifi access.

btw where are you getting wapforum from?
    06-23-11 08:47 AM
    What Android do you have and what do you expect from the PB that you'd get it over say a Transformer, Flyer, Nook Color, either of the pending Galaxy Tabs, etc.

1) Galaxy S

2) Portability (7"), the multitasking style of the PB, QNX, Android VM.
    06-23-11 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD