It looks like RIM has already starting to layoff its emplyees, I wont put a link because the news is available everywhere. What does that mean for our PB, or other RIM products?
    06-21-11 03:19 PM
    It doesn't mean anything. They are clearing out redundancies, housecleaning if you will.

For example, why keep all those OS6 developers around when the future is moving over to QNX which has their own developers? In fact, the QNX website has 30+ developer jobs listed.

Keep in mind RIM is still finishing building their 5 story complex in Ottawa as well. The company is cleaning up the slack and moving forward as all companies do from time to time.
    bquinney and bbquincar like this.
    06-21-11 03:26 PM
    nothing...most people are in the customer service department
    06-21-11 03:37 PM
    Means nothing. Streamlining.

I find this to be funny since they have bought a lot of companies in the resent past that they need to work on. **** they bought companies that would make the whole RIMM is dead theory laughable since they could stay out of the consumer market if they streamlines enough.

AND Research In Motion has a profit that ANY oil company in the world would love to have.
    06-21-11 03:37 PM
    It looks like RIM has already starting to layoff its emplyees, I wont put a link because the news is available everywhere. What does that mean for our PB, or other RIM products?
    Means RIMM is under-performing big time. The market doesn't like what RIMM has been doing to keep pace, or better said not keep pace, with its peers. RIMM is now playing defense. It is cutting costs to protect itself. RIMM is looking like a good takeover candidate. Sad to watch this happen. Had high hopes for RIMM, but they had too many delays and failed product launches. I read something today that said RIMM didn't have one smart phone sell in the top four positions for any of the domestic cell carriers.

RIM’s Plunge May Beckon Microsoft, DellRIM
    Last edited by bb-bandit; 06-21-11 at 03:52 PM.
    06-21-11 03:42 PM

AND Research In Motion has a profit that ANY oil company in the world would love to have.
    You're kidding about the oil companies right...
    06-21-11 03:44 PM
    A rumoured 200 employees (so far) out of a total of 17,000... thats about .01% of their headcount. Probably average turn-over for the week for a company that size. When it gets up to 2,000, then you know that they are serious about right-sizing their business.

Most companies look for a good 'justifiable' excuse to let go employees that they want to get rid of - but don't have just cause based on performance.
    06-21-11 05:01 PM
    Means RIMM is under-performing big time. The market doesn't like what RIMM has been doing to keep pace, or better said not keep pace, with its peers. RIMM is now playing defense. It is cutting costs to protect itself. RIMM is looking like a good takeover candidate. Sad to watch this happen. Had high hopes for RIMM, but they had too many delays and failed product launches. I read something today that said RIMM didn't have one smart phone sell in the top four positions for any of the domestic cell carriers.

RIM�s Plunge May Beckon Microsoft, DellRIM

No it doesn't.

As well as the new Ottawa complex, a new data center is going up in Cambridge, as well as the Mike and Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum-Nano Center at the University of Waterloo. RIM isn't laying off to save its own ***, it that were the case, thousands of positions would be out the door. This is a cleanup of redundant positions, and positions which are obsolete.

RIM didn't lose money, it just made less profit... and is still sitting on Billions in cash on hand. RIM has no bad debt or Writedowns, and not one creditor is knocking at it's door asking when/if the next payment is going to happen. RIM not only self financed the development of the playbook, it also acquired countless companies and technologies. These aren't free, and to do all that they have done on their own dime without going to the bank (Or the Taxpayers - ******* Big 3 automaker losers) is impressive.

Under Performing? No. Refocusing? Yes. And it's about time.

max
    asherwiin likes this.
    06-21-11 05:10 PM
    I agree with the basic response, they are cleaning house. That 200 will likely end up a thousand, and they can still manage without skipping a beat. In fact - likley will see things quicker. The talkers and non producers will be gone and not dragging the producers down - chatting and distracting them. Also, when ever this happens - people put the head down and work just that much harder for a while not wanting to be next.

All Good !
    06-21-11 05:18 PM
    Exxon reported a profit of $10.7 billion last quarter; RIM reported just under $700 million.
    06-21-11 05:25 PM
    To put it perspective I work for Walmart at the corporate level which is the largest company in the world. We thrived while others flopped during the recession. Guess what? Every other year or so we let go of some of the dead weight... Trim the fat so to speak. Its about controlling expenses. Every company in the world restructures from time to time. No cause for alarm YET. If RIM is still reporting such dismal numbers after new devices are released then you start having a problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by amboy83; 06-21-11 at 05:41 PM.
    06-21-11 05:39 PM
    A rumoured 200 employees (so far) out of a total of 17,000... thats about .01% of their headcount. Probably average turn-over for the week for a company that size.
    Umm.. 200 out of 17,000 employees is 1.18% of the total workforce. Any company that would churn that many employees on a weekly basis (61% annually) would be in serious difficulty.
    06-21-11 05:41 PM
    From what I have read, most layoff are in manufacturing in Ottawa. Research and development will not be affected.

What RIM manufactures in Canada I have no idea. I though RIM devices were manufactured outside Canada like Mexico and Taiwan.
    06-21-11 05:42 PM
    In fact, the QNX website has 30+ developer jobs listed.
    Really? This site says different.

Research In Motion - Search Full Time Opportunities

Less than 70 IT openings around the world. Really brief glance, but didn't see a single developer opening.
    06-21-11 06:06 PM
    They're doing what any other company would do whose products are becoming a commodity: you trim off some fat. They must have been planning this for a couple of months now anyway, they probably saw these numbers coming in and had a response ready to show stockholders that they are on top of things.

This is the unfortunate response to the never-ending quest to suck up to stockholders, and the easiest thing to do is not innovate, but lay off people. Every company I have worked at has had massive layoffs, and once they start, they keep coming every 2 years or so.

Sucks for the people who are being laid off.
    06-21-11 06:34 PM
    Really? This site says different.

Research In Motion - Search Full Time Opportunities

Less than 70 IT openings around the world. Really brief glance, but didn't see a single developer opening.
    Check the QNX website before you say something so silly...
    Careers
    06-21-11 06:38 PM
    These layoffs aren't a bad thing, in fact they help the company immensely. Normally a company can't do layoffs unless there is something wrong, so this is RIM's opportunity. They aren't going to axe complete divisions, it's just redundant positions and people they wouldn't be able to get rid of normally. For example, that guy who makes everyone's life around him miserable or someone who just can't manage to make it to work on time on a regular basis.
    06-21-11 06:42 PM
    It was probably everyone that had anything to do with the Playbook software and torch hardware. And the makers of the Black Eyed Peas commercial that introduced BB6
    06-21-11 06:52 PM
    From what I have read, most layoff are in manufacturing in Ottawa. Research and development will not be affected.

What RIM manufactures in Canada I have no idea. I though RIM devices were manufactured outside Canada like Mexico and Taiwan.
    most electronics are made in the oriental countries like taiwan. the only thing made in mexico are american cars, textiles, chemicals, and alot of other things some of witch should be made in usa. like american cares.

but anoff of that, the lay offs mean nothing. i would hope the pinkslips were handed off to people working on the next phones comming out. i would like to dream they say next week "were dropping production of the 9900 and any other announced phone and were going head first into 2 brand new qnx phones. a slate phone for those who dont like keypads and one that looks alot like the 9900 but it isnt because its not rubbish. were sorry but no 9900." i can dream. then i may hold off and not get a android phone come february 17th.

Last edited by drethos; 06-21-11 at 07:19 PM.
    06-21-11 07:11 PM
    most electronics are made in the oriental countries like taiwan. the only thing made in mexico are american cars, textiles, chemicals, and alot of other things some of witch should be made in usa. like american cares.

but anoff of that, the lay offs mean nothing. i would hope the pinkslips were handed off to people working on the next phones comming out. i would like to dream they say next week "were dropping production of the 9900 and any other announced phone and were going head first into 2 brand new qnx phones. a slate phone for those who dont like keypads and one that looks alot like the 9900 but it isnt because its not rubbish. were sorry but no 9900." i can dream. then i may hold off and not get a android phone come february 17th.

RIM manufactures in Mexico and in Canada and Hungary
    06-21-11 07:22 PM

Most of RIM's phones are made in either Mexico or Hungary. RIM does not make the devices themselves, they have that outsourced to Celestica (former manufacturing arm of IBM). Celestica's share price took a nosedive on RIM's news last week because a large chunk of their revenue comes from RIM.
    06-21-11 07:25 PM
    One of the big reasons to upgrade for me is the vastly improved modem. The 9700's lethargic 3.6Mbps modem is getting upgraded to 14.4Mbps, and that's huge. QNX is still coming "early 2012".
    06-21-11 07:30 PM
    It was probably everyone that had anything to do with the Playbook software and torch hardware. And the makers of the Black Eyed Peas commercial that introduced BB6
    I'd say that the above comment is ample grounds for a trip to the penalty box for a time out. There is nothing in that post except trollish vitriol.
    06-21-11 07:47 PM
    As someone mentioned the number of layoffs is a very small part of RIM's employee base. It's no coincidence that it was announced during the earnings call. It's to some degree just about convincing Wall St. that RIM is running a tight ship. I'd expect the PlayBook to actually do fine since it is the future direction of all RIM's software.
    06-21-11 07:53 PM
    yup...I'll save ya the oh yeah...

Current Openings

QNX not RIM is what i believe he said
    06-21-11 07:55 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD