Despite the horrid customer support for a warranty repair which I'm documenting here (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-today-629449/), one of the complaints that I submitted with my original repair order form was how horrible and pretty much useless the power button was and it looks like the listened!

Now when I press the button it has a feedback click and the screen responds instantly On or Off with just a light touch! No more having to dig into it hard! Awesome! Gotta give their repair techs an A+ for that since it wasn't why I sent the PB in for repair in the first place....Of course I won't put it to much use over the next week since I have to send my PB back again for the second time this month.....their customer Support still gets a C at best!
    Last edited by Prey521; 07-18-11 at 11:26 PM.
    07-18-11 11:24 PM
    I like the button the way it is, perhaps because I only have to press it once a week, to turn it on after I may have shut it down. I may be the only one to say this lol
    esqlaw likes this.
    07-18-11 11:36 PM
    I like the button the way it is, perhaps because I only have to press it once a week, to turn it on after I may have shut it down. I may be the only one to say this lol
    +1..........
    07-18-11 11:40 PM
    Nope, Im the same way. I do wish it was a bit higher but ehh, I use it like you said, maybe once a week. No issue for me.

To the op, glad they fixed yours.
    mrwindow likes this.
    07-18-11 11:41 PM
    I use it all the time so I hated the way it was, it's faster to shut the screen down/power on with the button since it's just a simple press as opposed to navigating through the UI or the bezel swipe. The fact that they actually fixed goes to show you that they either realized that it slipped the quality control check during manufacturing or they're tired of hearing customer complaints about the way they intended for the button to perform. I'm thinking it's the former since the button was so useless that I find it hard to believe that they purposely made it like that. Would've been cheaper to just not include a power button. Anyways, I'm glad that they got it fixed!
    Last edited by Prey521; 07-18-11 at 11:49 PM.
    07-18-11 11:46 PM
    I'm with you. Mine is fine and I rarely ever use it.
    07-18-11 11:49 PM
    Some people just get a kick out of making these threads
    07-19-11 12:06 AM
    Some people just get a kick out of making these threads
    Oh, my apologies, I didn't realize that there were a lot of topics on RIM fixing the power button on the PB's......
    07-19-11 12:08 AM
    Oh, my apologies, I didn't realize that there were a lot of topics on RIM fixing the power button on the PB's......
    The power button isn't broken. See the other 50 threads on this point.
    07-19-11 12:21 AM
    i had the same thing happen with me.

my playbooks speakers just stopped working so i sent it to RIM for them to fix it and the definitely fixed the power button while they were at it. sure it doesnt really matter now that they have a software option to turn the playbook off, but i must say that i probably use the actual power button just as much,if not more than the software ones.
    07-19-11 02:36 AM
    In fairness to the OP. I had a 16GB PB which had a very satisfying 'click' when you released the button, and wasn't flush. Just a mm or 2 protruding.

I have traded up for a 64GB model, and disappointingly the button doesn't have that feel to it anymore. I agree that it is not really necessary anyway, but I can appreciate why the OP is pleased. And yes, it is great that something was done about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 06:19 AM
    Well good to know someone at RIM is doing something productive for the pb
    07-19-11 06:34 AM
    The power button isn't broken. See the other 50 threads on this point.
    If it wasn't broken they wouldn't have fixed it, so I beg to differ. Just because you like the way the power button works doesn't mean that there isn't something wrong with it.
    07-19-11 07:07 AM
    I think it comes purely down to preference, and in this case is there really a right or wrong anymore? I just stated what I like about it, which is really the intent of these forums, not who's right or wrong. I rather enjoy conflicting opinions, as you can learn from them, but not when in an aggressive manner.
    07-19-11 08:50 AM
    I found that my Otterbox case helped the power button big time.
    07-19-11 09:07 AM
    If it wasn't broken they wouldn't have fixed it, so I beg to differ. Just because you like the way the power button works doesn't mean that there isn't something wrong with it.
    What logic.

Something is broken when YOU don't like the way it functions even though it functions fully.

Yet when I like the way it functions and it does function, its broken.

Some people just don't think about what they say. Especially the first part because it sounds like the modified it for you because you weren't pleased. You, of course, getting a kick out of bashing the power button, immediately conclude it was broken. My button does not audibly "click" nor do I need it to. I'm not some dope who can't figure out how the button works.
    07-19-11 09:17 AM
    Broken may have been a poor choice of words, but I'm sure that they didn't intend for it to behave that way. The fact that other PB's power button function the way mine now does and there are others that function the way mine used to leads me to believe that the initial batches that were made had the shoddy power buttons, they saw the flaw and resolved it which is why there's an inconsistency between different PB's. Don't really care what you say, the power button issue IS a legit one regardless if you liked how it works or not.
    07-19-11 09:25 AM
    Broken may have been a poor choice of words, but I'm sure that they didn't intend for it to behave that way. The fact that other PB's power button function the way mine now does and there are others that function the way mine used to leads me to believe that the initial batches that were made had the shoddy power buttons, they saw the flaw and resolved it which is why there's an inconsistency between different PB's. Don't really care what you say, the power button issue IS a legit one regardless if you liked how it works or not.
    Just because its an issue for you doesn't make it broken or flawed.

It functions regardless of my opinion of it. Therefore it works. Its a power button. Its not rocket science. It needs to function. Not make a clicking noise for your amusement.
    07-19-11 10:56 AM
    They did this for me too (I also put that comment on the comment card when I sent it back). the one I got back however was either new or refurb (check your serial #.. looks/acts like new. Did a total once over.. no flaws). Here was my original thread. a good read if you got a sec.
    Update fried my playbook - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    07-19-11 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD