I really hope RIM wows all of us with the next update, for real. They have to shove it to all these hating blogs on the net.

So much is riding on the Playbook. Do not let the Playbook die like The Storm, which was a good device IMO. If RIM wants to stay in the game, they have to put a lot of effort and energy into the Playbook asap, not into a Playbook 2.

This thing has so much potential. Another thing that I noticed on another thread is that the PB should have the ability to receive calls and sms text from our phones. The HP Palm Tab' is rumored to have this out of the box.

I like and appreciate RIM products, an I would hate to see it go down the drain because of lack of support and interest.

Take heed to what your hard core Blackberry users on Crackberry Nation want. We know whats good for you, and US!!!
    jimred07 likes this.
    06-26-11 11:10 PM
    I dont know why people even hint at the fact that rim could be dropping their support of the playbook... are you kidding me? this shouldn't even be a thought at this point, never mind people actually voicing it out! RIM will support the playbook for at least a year. Currently their biggest push is the playbook software.... worry not folks, RIM won't be dropping playbook support any time soon. They still have huge potential with the device, and you watch, by end of summer playbook will be a much huger success than what it appears (or appears not to be) right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    06-27-11 01:22 AM
    I'm losing faith in them, i've learned to accept the playbook for what it is, and not wait for what it's supposed to be (something which might remain a fantasy).

I think the next update will probably be, new language support and a flash update as well. They've made a lot of us supporters cynical.
    06-27-11 01:25 AM
    I dont know why people even hint at the fact that rim could be dropping their support of the playbook... are you kidding me? this shouldn't even be a thought at this point, never mind people actually voicing it out! RIM will support the playbook for at least a year. Currently their biggest push is the playbook software.... worry not folks, RIM won't be dropping playbook support any time soon. They still have huge potential with the device, and you watch, by end of summer playbook will be a much huger success than what it appears (or appears not to be) right now.

I hear you, and hope your right. Thats why they need to shut up the cynics and make the end users happy, with want we want and need.

Im really not losing any faith until I see what they'll do with the new major "Summer OS Update". That'll judge what direction there going. Either a come back or sinking ship.

Long live RIM!!
    mapsonburt and anon(3896606) like this.
    06-27-11 01:50 AM
    I'm giving them till September, if they complete the playbook, i'll be the happiest user, if not, i'll get something else for my birthday.
    06-27-11 01:53 AM
    I'm losing faith in them, i've learned to accept the playbook for what it is, and not wait for what it's supposed to be (something which might remain a fantasy).

I think the next update will probably be, new language support and a flash update as well. They've made a lot of us supporters cynical.
    What was the playbook supposed to be which it isn't? Share some of your expectations.
    And please don't bring up the PIM and mail features.
    Mail can be perfectly done with the browser.
    And I don't know the fuss about PIM. Why would you ever pick up you tablet to look up contacts or calendar items when you have it all in your phone?
    06-27-11 04:34 AM
    a tablet that Plays hard, still waiting for games and more entertainment functions/apps (editing, proper painting/sketching) etc...

Email/PIM i know are coming, so not stressed about that.

Anyway, I love the playbook for what it is, if anything more comes, i'll be happier.
    06-27-11 05:11 AM

Just like what I've been thinking!

ps: cross my finger
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    06-27-11 05:29 AM
    I speak to my RIM rep weekly and he is still saying the email update is on track for July. I think this next update and the Android player are huge for RIM, likely bigger then the native SDK.

I don't think RIM can do anything to please their critics. I have not read any open minded reviews of Blackberry. Some are warrented but others are just bias for another OS and not recognizing Playbook on its own merits.

Outside of the missing key Apps we all wish were available, the device has been great for me. Video playbook is nice, having Flash support useful and I like the 7" form factor when I'm mobile.
    06-27-11 05:49 AM
    The truth is that we have not yet had an upgrade that added truly new features. It is true that BBM was added to the Bridge but that was supposed to be a launch feature and it was just not ready in time. You could count the power buttons that were added to the power indicator but I don't really consider those features. If they are features, they are small ones. All of the updates have added polish. They did improve the Playbook quite a bit.

It would be nice to see an update that adds some nice new functions.

My list: Universal search, mail, calendar, contacts, social feeds integration, Call bridging with BB smartphone (the ability to place and receive calls with your phone on the Playbook), Browser identification compatibility options, and the ability to use multiple instances of Flash in different browser tabs.

Give me this stuff and I am a very happy camper.

My guess: not until September for most of this. I am not sure what kind of updates to expect before then.
    howarmat and raremage like this.
    06-27-11 06:15 AM
    I don't think RIM can do anything to please their critics. I have not read any open minded reviews of Blackberry. Some are warrented but others are just bias for another OS and not recognizing Playbook on its own merits.
    I think that reviews were mostly fair. Playbook was not a finished device when it was released. It was/is missing important features and was buggy in many features that it did have.

You review the device as it is not as it will be.

I agree that many reviewers simplistically want to see the smartphone/tablet world as an Apple v. Android battle. Most have chosen a side. RIM gave all of those people too much ammunition when it released the Playbook as it did. The truth is that those people may be right, especially considering the poor state of RIM's smartphone offerings throughout 2011.

I hope that your RIM contact is right about July for email but I think that is too optimistic.
    06-27-11 06:23 AM
    I personally think the PB will get OS updates pushed out to it for years, regardless of PB2,3 etc... The base OS will be the same for all the devices in the family. Its possible certain new features in future devices won't be supported but the OS itself will continue to be updated to support Apps, Air, Flash etc.
    1rico1 and IvanAMANation like this.
    06-27-11 07:03 AM
    ...It would be nice to see an update that adds some nice new functions.

My list: Universal search, mail, calendar, contacts, social feeds integration, Call bridging with BB smartphone (the ability to place and receive calls with your phone on the Playbook), Browser identification compatibility options, and the ability to use multiple instances of Flash in different browser tabs.
    Let me add better cursor control when moving around text, autocorrect, and universal spellchecking. Plus Bridge improvements in performance and stability (I'm not talking strictly Browser here, to be clear).

And, I am assuming the PIM functions support offline access to data, which I feel is a must (as a business user that travels, I can't be restricted to reviewing my calendar or reading and deleting email only when I have a WiFi connection, that's not reasonable).

These are the big ones for me. Plus Kindle, but that's a different thread.
    06-27-11 07:13 AM
    What was the playbook supposed to be which it isn't? Share some of your expectations.
    And please don't bring up the PIM and mail features.
    Mail can be perfectly done with the browser.
    And I don't know the fuss about PIM. Why would you ever pick up you tablet to look up contacts or calendar items when you have it all in your phone?
    You CAN'T possibly be THAT clueless. This was SUPPOSED to be a PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS CLASS device. And yet here we are today without the ability to EASILY work with folders for organizing documents. If that isn't a basic rudimentary function for business people I'd love to see the desks of the Bozos at RIM. Seriously I can't keep different folders for contracts, boilerplate docs, clients, etc.

PIM... RIM doesn't really do much to say that if you want to use this in a business class environment that you'd better also be a BB handset owner. And while I'm at it not all e-mail is web accessible.

Shall I continue??? Take business off the table for a minute.... gotta love a device that lets you watch video in 5 minute chunks before going into standby. Again yes I know that they have 'work arounds' but that begs the question of WHY you should have to work around these deficiencies in the first place. Not enough you want more..... How about the fact that even if you ARE going to tap the darn thing every five minutes to watch your video.... you have the option of wearing WIRED headphones or making everyone around you listen in too? Again no one at RIM thought that having bluetooth audio support was important enough to have at launch.... Just L-O-V-E that I can now surf to my office voice mail without doing it on the little screen on my BB BUT then have to wear WIRED headphones to listen to the VM's or let everyone in the room hear my messages... (sorry I know, I took business off the table).

I can keep going and going and going. At least my Storm has an equally red headed brother to play with now. Because this is what PB1 is turning out to be, the Storm on steroids.
    JetLife87 and howarmat like this.
    06-27-11 07:41 AM
    I feel like we all bought a hyped up stock and we're just waiting for good news so we don't feel like we got left holding the bag.
    06-27-11 08:20 AM
    You CAN'T possibly be THAT clueless. This was SUPPOSED to be a PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS CLASS device. And yet here we are today without the ability to EASILY work with folders for organizing documents. If that isn't a basic rudimentary function for business people I'd love to see the desks of the Bozos at RIM. Seriously I can't keep different folders for contracts, boilerplate docs, clients, etc.

PIM... RIM doesn't really do much to say that if you want to use this in a business class environment that you'd better also be a BB handset owner. And while I'm at it not all e-mail is web accessible.

Shall I continue??? Take business off the table for a minute.... gotta love a device that lets you watch video in 5 minute chunks before going into standby. Again yes I know that they have 'work arounds' but that begs the question of WHY you should have to work around these deficiencies in the first place. Not enough you want more..... How about the fact that even if you ARE going to tap the darn thing every five minutes to watch your video.... you have the option of wearing WIRED headphones or making everyone around you listen in too? Again no one at RIM thought that having bluetooth audio support was important enough to have at launch.... Just L-O-V-E that I can now surf to my office voice mail without doing it on the little screen on my BB BUT then have to wear WIRED headphones to listen to the VM's or let everyone in the room hear my messages... (sorry I know, I took business off the table).

I can keep going and going and going. At least my Storm has an equally red headed brother to play with now. Because this is what PB1 is turning out to be, the Storm on steroids.
    I don't know what you are on or on what side of whose bed you woke up today.
    I simply asked the poster to list some of his expectations. Just wanted to see what people are missing. I might have agreed or disagreed with his list.
    But just saying vaguely that "it doesn't meet my expectataions" isn't saying much. What if the poster expected the device to take him to the moon. That would be an irrational expectation and we would know so, however he might have rational expectations as well in which case I would like to compare notes.
    In either case your hostility is unwarranted.
    I suggest a little weed to put you at peace with the world.
    06-27-11 08:34 AM
    No hostility at all.

So what you are saying is that barring an enumerated list you assume that posters are unreasonable and irrational. Because I tend to go in the direction that if someone says that they are unhappy with their morning coffee it is because they don't like something about the coffee and NOT becuase they were expecting a glass of milk of cup of tea.

I took the comment(s) and believed that the users knew what a tablet was, what the capabilities of a tablet are (based on the company's marketing and specs) and became unhappy once the device failed to meet those metrics. So in short, I don't just assume posters to be idiots until proven otherwise whereas you want the proof of their intelligence/reasonableness upfront. Both methods are valid.
    06-27-11 08:52 AM
    How about a file system that you can create folders, delete folders and files, move them around, you know things you can on every other system whether it be a computer, tab or phone.

The usb port should be usable for more than charging or hooking up to your computer. How about being able to use it for flash drives, external hard drives?

More choices in the keyboard layout, options.

Better browser functionality.

Spell check in every area, better copy and paste, better touch selection.

Just a few off the top of my head I see users asking for. You know the basic things you can do on all other systems. I didn't even mention email, pim etc.

If it had even the basic functionality of every other system out there I probably would've bought one by now but I'm waiting and now I'll be waiting until the price drops or it goes on sale somewhere. Not sure if I will buy one even then if the basics are not on it yet.

I know RIM is working on it but I also see it takes them a long time to get some of their devices problems fixed and sometimes when fixing one they break another. I'd be nuts if I got one of those 9780's or whatever they are with the stuttering keyboard.

I hope they do get it right and do succeed because I do prefer RIM to the others. For my own reasons I won't buy apple. That leaves me with android and I don't thing android is the greatest thing since sliced bread either. WebOS, I don't know, never seen it.
    1rico1, howarmat and raremage like this.
    06-27-11 08:57 AM
    No hostility at all.

So what you are saying is that barring an enumerated list you assume that posters are unreasonable and irrational. Because I tend to go in the direction that if someone says that they are unhappy with their morning coffee it is because they don't like something about the coffee and NOT becuase they were expecting a glass of milk of cup of tea.

I took the comment(s) and believed that the users knew what a tablet was, what the capabilities of a tablet are (based on the company's marketing and specs) and became unhappy once the device failed to meet those metrics. So in short, I don't just assume posters to be idiots until proven otherwise whereas you want the proof of their intelligence/reasonableness upfront. Both methods are valid.
    I am not asking for any proof of the poster's intelligence. It was a simple question, such as those one might ask during a conversation. There was no underlying agenda that you are alluding to.
    06-27-11 09:01 AM
    ....... What if the poster expected the device to take him to the moon. ........
    then they should go here... We Choose the Moon: Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing ...
    anon(3896606) and sam_b77 like this.
    06-27-11 09:08 AM
    I am not asking for any proof of the poster's intelligence. It was a simple question, such as those one might ask during a conversation. There was no underlying agenda that you are alluding to.
    Just ignore em. Honestly its not worth your time. There are always people on this (and every other) forum who take EVERYTHING as a negative - most of us knew where you were coming from, every now and then there are some great conversations that come out of simple straight forward questions like yours. But you have to ignore the ignorant ones who only seem to wanna fight... About nothing!!!

Last edited by 123berryaddicted; 06-27-11 at 09:17 AM.
    sam_b77 likes this.
    06-27-11 09:13 AM

This is exactly the problem that RIM has to overcome. RIM has promised a product that they never deliver and now they have egg all over their face. They yielded huge market share as consumers left them in droves, and now developers are abandoning them. RIM is laying-off people as we speak so they won't be building these apps in house. The writing is all over the wall for RIM. It's hard to see RIM turning this around. The Bold Touch is going to be a huge flop as was the Torch. There are more interesting products coming out in the fall. Year-end sales for RIM are going to shock the market and not in a good way.
    06-27-11 09:18 AM
    How about a file system that you can create folders, delete folders and files, move them around, you know things you can on every other system whether it be a computer, tab or phone.

The usb port should be usable for more than charging or hooking up to your computer. How about being able to use it for flash drives, external hard drives?

Spell check in every area, better copy and paste, better touch selection.
    Just a few off the top of my head I see users asking for. You know the basic things you can do on all other systems. I didn't even mention email, pim etc.

If it had even the basic functionality of every other system out there I probably would've bought one by now but I'm waiting and now I'll be waiting until the price drops or it goes on sale somewhere. Not sure if I will buy one even then if the basics are not on it yet.

I know RIM is working on it but I also see it takes them a long time to get some of their devices problems fixed and sometimes when fixing one they break another. I'd be nuts if I got one of those 9780's or whatever they are with the stuttering keyboard.

I hope they do get it right and do succeed because I do prefer RIM to the others. For my own reasons I won't buy apple. That leaves me with android and I don't thing android is the greatest thing since sliced bread either. WebOS, I don't know, never seen it.
    Why would you want all those things, then you wouldn't have a "Professional-Grade" tablet anymore?
    06-27-11 09:20 AM
    This is exactly the problem that RIM has to overcome. RIM has promised a product that they never deliver and now they have egg all over their face. They yielded huge market share as consumers left them in droves, and now developers are abandoning them. RIM is laying-off people as we speak so they won't be building these apps in house. The writing is all over the wall for RIM. It's hard to see RIM turning this around. The Bold Touch is going to be a huge flop as was the Torch. There are more interesting products coming out in the fall. Year-end sales for RIM are going to shock the market and not in a good way.
    Wrong. The Bold Touch will be super successful. You and so many others under estimate the blackberry fan base. We are more than a bunch of fad driven users, we love our blackberry and will consider no other device - there are millions of us with Bolds, Tours, and Curves that are waiting patiently for a new worthy device to purchase, and the Bold Touch IS that device. It is going to do extremely well... Extreme - almost every blackberry user I know is either happy with their torch, or has an outdated blackberry and has plans to buy the Bold. Mark my words - the Bold Touch is gonna do awesome. Who gives a rip about the dual core blah blah blah crap.... The Bold Touch looks like an awesome solid device.

06-27-11 09:26 AM
    "How about a file system that you can create folders, delete folders and files, move them around, you know things you can on every other system whether it be a computer, tab or phone.

Spell check in every area, better copy and paste, better touch selection"

Since QNX kernel is nothing like BB OS kernel and all the above stuff is application layer related, shouldn't we be expecting these to come in due time.

I mean RIM acquired QNX in 2010 April and if they already have such a solid foundation, I would expect them to provide these soon enough.

I mean since BB OS has these features, it's just a matter of time before it comes to QNX.Or I am wrong in thinking that??
    06-27-11 09:31 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD