Hey guys! As you know I run the largest Playbook Sideloading app store and have been converting apps for people since the Playbook OS started to allow people to do this.

Today Alec Saunders announced that the whole stopping Android Sideloading was blown out of proportion and they will NOT stop Android Sideloading!

Blackberry will NOT ban Android App Sideloading on the Playbook | Good E-Reader - ebook Reader and Tablet PC News
    04-10-12 10:55 PM
    With the release of a future upgrade to the BlackBerry PlayBook OS, RIM will include “a feature that will encrypt apps so they can only be run by the user who purchased the app,” Saunders said.
    Basically does the same thing.
    04-10-12 11:05 PM
    This is only valid with paid apps found on Google Play or pirated from there.
    04-10-12 11:27 PM
    How would RIM encrypt apps found on GooglePlay? I think they're saying they'll encrypt apps that can be downloaded from app world to prevent pirating of app world apps.
    TBone4eva and kbz1960 like this.
    04-10-12 11:43 PM
    This encryption thing is still a big puzzle for me.

"a feature that will encrypt apps so they can only be run by the user who purchased the app".

My question, can I still sideload "free" apps such as Kindle? (oh by the way, if its illegal to sideload kindle at this moment to due to some copyright issues, Amazon legal department may write to me at cthaddeus[at]gmail.com to clarify it and I will be happy to immediately remove from my device).

I understand encryption part on AppWorld applications that ties to the paid user but what sideloading Android application? At this moment, I can't buy Android app as I dont have a "compatible" android device. Even if I paid an App on Google Play, it doesn't guarantee that it will work on Playbook.

The only possibility that I see making this entire thing work is that RIM encrypt software on AppWorld ONLY. That will solve half of the problem with piracy. The other piracy part from Android, I dont think they can even touch it.

- Charles
    04-10-12 11:53 PM
    How would RIM encrypt apps found on GooglePlay? I think they're saying they'll encrypt apps that can be downloaded from app world to prevent pirating of app world apps.
    Correct, they aren't encrypting google play apps - they can't. That's google's job

Apps distributed exclusively via App world will be encrypted and will only restore/sideload onto designated devices and/or bbids.
    04-10-12 11:55 PM
    The only possibility that I see making this entire thing work is that RIM encrypt software on AppWorld ONLY. That will solve half of the problem with piracy. The other piracy part from Android, I dont think they can even touch it.

- Charles
    To clarify
    That is exactly what RIM is doing.
    04-10-12 11:58 PM
    I think this is the best outcome we could hope for. Now more developers are going to make apps for the PB as Alec mentioned there were certain developers that were waiting until they fixed prevented pirating of their app and we still keep the ability to sideload Android apps. If it is implemented this way, I think RIM will have done a good job with this situation. Pretty much appeases all parties.
    DAnklaud, kbz1960 and TBone4eva like this.
    04-11-12 12:06 AM
    If they're beefing up appworlds's security and leaving sideloading alone then that is awesome.

Now they just need to bring the native apps so we don't need to sideload.

No offense Koz, I love your store and appreciate all your work, but I wish we didn't need it in the first place.
    Barljo, Toodeurep and DAnklaud like this.
    04-11-12 12:19 AM
    I think this is the best outcome we could hope for. Now more developers are going to make apps for the PB as Alec mentioned there were certain developers that were waiting until they fixed prevented pirating of their app and we still keep the ability to sideload Android apps. If it is implemented this way, I think RIM will have done a good job with this situation. Pretty much appeases all parties.
    There is some chance that RIM wants to position PBOS/BB10 as the more "secure" development environment that will protect dev's livelihood in a way that Google has somehow refused to.

If sideloading is essentially disabled, there will be backlash from... Let's call it the enthusiast community. It would, indeed, remove a whole body of apps.

The (non-enthusiast) consumer might be the ultimate winner here, even if it's in the long term. Why? Providing a more secure platform might do just about as much to attract devs (and their apps) as sheer device numbers. And if we get a broader selection of legit apps, what could be better?
    04-11-12 12:23 AM
    Maybe this could be good in the very long term. The PB has been out for quite a while yet, and there's no sign of the apps people actually want. This move will not make Amazon release Kindle for Playbook, but will alienate all those who use the PB to read on Kindle. I'm one of them. Perhaps a small loss for RIM, but if I leave I have absolutely no reason to come back.
    fbloise likes this.
    04-11-12 02:16 AM
    It is understood that by preventing sideloading from the end user pov would pretty much curb the piracy issues and devs would feel more secure creating apps for PB. However, piracy has been there for ages for iOS and Android since their release. At this point devs are still creating apps for the aforementioned OS-es.

Enlighten me if I'm wrong, but could anybody please tell me any articles regarding ban of jalibreaking on iDevices and rooting on Androids?

Sent from my PlayBook using Tapatalk
    04-11-12 02:42 AM
    It is understood that by preventing sideloading from the end user pov would pretty much curb the piracy issues and devs would feel more secure creating apps for PB. However, piracy has been there for ages for iOS and Android since their release. At this point devs are still creating apps for the aforementioned OS-es.
    Developers get robbed when they submit premium apps to non secure distribution channels (like google play).
    Having the a safe distribution channel (app world) would eliminate robbing developers who chose the secure channel(appworld).
    Enlighten me if I'm wrong, but could anybody please tell me any articles regarding ban of jalibreaking on iDevices and rooting on Androids?
    IOS releases os updates all the time to disable/break current jailbreak exploits. Apple tried to say it voids warranties, I think that got overturned in court though(?).

Android phones can be rooted, that (should be) the nature of an open source linux distribution. Nexus devices come rooted, correct me if I'm wrong

Jailbreaking/ gaining root access, where not done by design (like linux), you can easily compromise the security or brick the device. That's my personal view on why I think rim is against jailbreaking.
    Regardless, I'd like rim to create a native way to temporarily elevate to root privledges (so you could enable specific features, usbtogo for example, and then return to user level privledges/turn off root access).

And for the record, side loading for the time being will be largely left alone.
    -apks converted to bars (kindle etc)
    -native bars not from app world (emulators, playtorrent etc)
    Will all be able to sideload as usual.

If you buy an app from app world, it will be encrypted. Only the device/bbid, or both, will be able to decrypt and reinstall the app. So If you manage to rip the bar out of a DM backup, you would only be able to sideload it back onto the designated bbid/device
    husnimd likes this.
    04-11-12 04:27 AM
    Best possible outcome, awesome!
    04-11-12 05:58 AM
    If true that they will only encrypt apps from App World, that would be great!
    04-11-12 06:33 AM
    Yeah this is awesome if you want to keep side loading Android 2.3 phone Apps on your BB Playbook Tablet.
    04-11-12 06:43 AM
    Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but if the PB had direct access to the android google play store, there wouldn't be any nonsense about conversion to bar and signing and 'ooh its a paid app' or 'that's a free apk but not released for playbook' and 'its a scandal'.

As for compatibility, as far as I can see, there are a bunch of apps on App world that crash for a pastime, or just don't really work properly - not much different to downloading apps from the play store to a phone that may or may not support them. Of course there are also those that work very well thank you.

I have no problem with anti piracy actions, but unless there are apps to run, and new apps available consumers will move to something that will do the job. Last time i looked there seem to be a growing number of android tablets at pretty low cost claiming great screens, hdmi output and cameras complete with android store access. Do they run as smoothly as an htc phone or samsung et al? who knows...my guess is possibly....does that bring pressure on PB?...given the current state I'd say yes without a doubt. Not everyone wants a top end tablet, but something that does a good job across the board will appeal to no end of people. PB is priced ok now, but being so restrictive just isn't gonna help it at all against the upstarts.
    04-11-12 06:59 AM
    Encrypt all they want - it's fine with me, as long as I can continue to sideload those absolutely necessary Android apps....
    04-11-12 10:08 AM
    Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but if the PB had direct access to the android google play store, there wouldn't be any nonsense about conversion to bar and signing and 'ooh its a paid app' or 'that's a free apk but not released for playbook' and 'its a scandal'.

As for compatibility, as far as I can see, there are a bunch of apps on App world that crash for a pastime, or just don't really work properly - not much different to downloading apps from the play store to a phone that may or may not support them. Of course there are also those that work very well thank you.

I have no problem with anti piracy actions, but unless there are apps to run, and new apps available consumers will move to something that will do the job. Last time i looked there seem to be a growing number of android tablets at pretty low cost claiming great screens, hdmi output and cameras complete with android store access. Do they run as smoothly as an htc phone or samsung et al? who knows...my guess is possibly....does that bring pressure on PB?...given the current state I'd say yes without a doubt. Not everyone wants a top end tablet, but something that does a good job across the board will appeal to no end of people. PB is priced ok now, but being so restrictive just isn't gonna help it at all against the upstarts.
    If Rim to allow direct access to Google play store, that will kill Blackberry App(less) store.
    I believe the the App store is important source of money, and give it away- won't be a smart move.
    After all, it's not that RIM is making money from selling the Playbooks at their current price.

However, you just gave me an idea: What if RIM will find a way to allow (and approve) "private app stores"? If they can find a business model for that (Licensing/Franchise/guidelines), the selection of apps will be amazing, RIM will profit from that, the consumer will be happy, and the Tablet will be more desirable. It is a WIN-WIN-WIN situation.

Thoughts? Someone wants to run it by Alec?
    04-11-12 10:19 AM
    CrackBerry needs to be the First place to serve -privately- Playbook apps(i hope native for the most part ,starting with the sideloaded emulators.) Oh,and devs should have a forum
    04-11-12 10:55 AM
    " However, you just gave me an idea: What if RIM will find a way to allow (and approve) "private app stores"? If they can find a business model for that (Licensing/Franchise/guidelines), the selection of apps will be amazing, RIM will profit from that, the consumer will be happy, and the Tablet will be more desirable. It is a WIN-WIN-WIN situation. "

I would create a signing tool with a seperate from app-world keys and sig. that the playbook would recognize as legit and clean(assuming that the screening process is in good standing) and/or have what google has in the settings menu were it asks if you want to install from unknown sources (for Playbook,i would change it so it sends a cert the first time you try to install an app and asks the user for permission to install from *that* source ,that way RIM can still have a secure *eye* out on sources of problems based on history of install and applicable certs)
    04-11-12 11:05 AM
    I think adding encryption to App World apps is a fine idea. There is a few pirate apps stores out there that purvey in app world rip off apps.
    04-11-12 05:20 PM
    If this is really what thy will do (encrypt/lock app world apps but leave Android sideloading) then this is a great solution. The main reason I finally got a PB was being able to use Android apps. If they took that away I would be very pissed off.

Berry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-11-12 05:27 PM
    I have a feeling we will only know what they are actually doing, once THEY DO IT. Actually, THEY/RIM will actually know one THEY DO IT.
    04-11-12 07:01 PM
    And for the record, side loading for the time being will be largely left alone.
    -apks converted to bars (kindle etc)
    -native bars not from app world (emulators, playtorrent etc)
    Will all be able to sideload as usual.
    @nah.uhh: are you positive about this?
    If that is right, I'll start to calm down... and be bold again
    04-11-12 07:21 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD