Glad that RIM came through for you! You should alter the thread title to reflect your vindication.
    How would I do that?
    08-02-12 03:28 PM
    (Just a thought: sometimes, whining brings positive results )
    I dont think whining is the word...I think its called stand up for what you believe!!
    08-02-12 03:29 PM
    I dont think whining is the word...I think its called stand up for what you believe!!
    so why'd want to change the thread title now?

you may apply via pm to admins but they probably will decline
    as it takes everthing incl. quotes out of context.

next time make a thread and not a threat.

regards
    Damian
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-03-12 06:22 AM
    I edited my earlier post. I had the same problem with the usb-power connection. It worked one day and the next morning it did not work (that was over the weekend). On Monday I called RIM and they overnight a box which had an overnight label and I returned it. Now it is Friday morning and my PB is back to me by FEDEX. The serial number is different so I am guessing they just replaced it.

WITH ALL THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS BEING EXPRESSED ALL THE TIME ABOUT RIM I AM GLAD TO GIVE PRAISE TO THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT AND THEIR RMA DEPARTMENT.
    bungaboy and lovemyplaybook like this.
    08-03-12 11:37 AM
    I edited my earlier post. I had the same problem with the usb-power connection. It worked one day and the next morning it did not work (that was over the weekend). On Monday I called RIM and they overnight a box which had an overnight label and I returned it. Now it is Friday morning and my PB is back to me by FEDEX. The serial number is different so I am guessing they just replaced it.

WITH ALL THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS BEING EXPRESSED ALL THE TIME ABOUT RIM I AM GLAD TO GIVE PRAISE TO THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT AND THEIR RMA DEPARTMENT.
    WHat is the number you called for this? I have the same issue with one of me Playbooks
    08-03-12 11:46 AM
    I give RIM an A+ on support and service. I had a problem with the charging on my playbook, had a new one in my hands a few days later.
    08-03-12 02:28 PM
    To the OP, I am so happy for you. I still rate RIM Customer Service 0 out of 5. They took a month to send me a FedEx box when I RMA'D my PlayBook for faulty cameras within the warranty , shipped it back without necessary documentation so it took nearly 3 weeks before FedEx would release it to me, when I got it back the cameras worked, but it boots to a blank screen and takes on average 20 pushes to cycle the power button to get a usable screen (I have to push it so the screen comes up, then goes off, then up, then off. Mostly just the backlight comes up.) If the display times out, it's another 20 pushes. Swipes do not work.

So I tried to RMA it again as THEY BROKE IT and guess what they told me. Take it back where I bought it.

THEY SUCK. I hope Thorsten still reads the forum. I can give him both incident numbers.

I just bought an Asus Transformer Prime Infinity for my son off Amazon - should get it Tuesday. If I like it, goodbye PlayBook and maybe goodbye BlackBerry altogether. Not to mention that I am the IT project manager for my company and we're looking at rolling out tablets to our agents and roadside assistance crews. Not feeling warm and fuzzy about PlayBook...
    08-03-12 06:25 PM
    I work in customer service at a computer repair shop and I get to deal with this sort of thing all the time. The problem with situations like this is the CSR you were speaking to did not have the authority to guarantee free service. It's unfortunate that you are the one dealing with the consequences of his mistake, but the reality is that he shouldn't have said that to you in the first place.
    PLEASE tell me that as a CSR you understand that you understand that scenario would be 100% RIM's fault. Any assurance or statement by the CSR should have been:
    1.documented
    2.backed up by the company regardless of any mistake made by the CSR

any failure to do either, is absolutely unacceptable.
    08-03-12 06:28 PM
    Comparing what was paid is pointless and an argument that's been beaten to death.

The argument of "but they said/promised" without proof/reference would be useless in the court of law, so why would it work here? Tech Support and Customer Service are people after all and like all people they can be fickle/lie/deceptive about what they say or don't say. That's why as a consumer you always have to have reference to back up your side of the story
    UNREAL. This isn't a court of law....the OP did not realize he should record every conversation with RIM. It should work "here", because people here should be concerned with RIM doing the right thing, not: what RIM could get away with if the customer has not documented every conversation. (I know nobody who does that....not even sure how legally admissible that would be)

We aren't talking about the legality, we're talking about the morality. Saying, the CSR was "fickle/lie/deceptive", is a damning indictment or RIM. Horrifying.
    lovemyplaybook likes this.
    08-03-12 06:36 PM
    Awesome! Time to change the title of this thread then...

I dont' think so...the fact remains that this person had to go through a lot of stress, involving broken promises, before RIM finally did the right thing. Thank goodness they did rectify the situation though! Congrats OP!
    08-03-12 06:38 PM
    I dont' think so...the fact remains that this person had to go through a lot of stress, involving broken promises, before RIM finally did the right thing. Thank goodness they did rectify the situation though! Congrats OP!
    While that may be true, don't think RIM lost him as a customer so the the title doesn't fit and that was all I meant. How about "RIM said they wouldn't fix my Playbook after the warranty expired but then they did." And all kidding aside, I don't care one way or the other but yeah, I'm happy for the OP. Glad RIM came thru for you.
    08-03-12 06:53 PM
    Chuckle, methinks richardat doth protest too much.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-03-12 07:09 PM
    Hey Ilovemyplaybook...

...not all companies treat you like that. I've never had to deal with RIM, but a couple years ago, I had an HP netbook hard drive fail. The netbook was an advanced model...11 inch screen, discrete graphics card, etc....nevertheless, I got it with a bunch of special discounts for 150$!!!

The drive failed a few months before the warranty expired, but I didn't bother to call it in until a couple weeks before the warranty expired. Once I made the claim, they asked for a credit card, but I don't have one.

Well, I was off at university, so I let it slide for several months until I got back to my hometown. I then called in, intending to use my father's credit card. Of course, now, the warranty had been expired for about 8 months! There was some doubt about whether that would be covered....usually it wouldn't, but I explained my situation, and they did have a record of the first call, they said they would get back to me.

Well, I was then on vacation, but HP sent me several emails, and phones several times....

I played phone tag with them for another few weeks, and when I finally got through to them about a month later, they agreed to make an exception, and took care of everything.

First time I've told that story (online), but your situation reminded me of it....

That was definitely first rate service!
    In his OP he said "record of his complaints under warranty", so I thought our situations were very similar. In a follow-up post he said the rep told him that there would be record of his complain when under warranty so that repair would be free!

I realize that the ultimate failure happened after the warranty was up, but honestly, with the previous complaint, the least RIM owes him is to take back the product, and repair the HDMI....of course JUST doing that would be ludicrous, and I'd hope the company, in the name of good service, would also repair the other problem......

At the least, because of more than one problem, at least one under warranty, I'd expect them to offer him a very nominal fee, to repair the other problems. That's what HP originally offered me....a discount on a new drive....until they looked into it, and decided to give me a new drive (turned out to be bigger and faster)...by that time nearly a year after the warranty was up.
    PLEASE tell me that as a CSR you understand that you understand that scenario would be 100% RIM's fault. Any assurance or statement by the CSR should have been:
    1.documented
    2.backed up by the company regardless of any mistake made by the CSR

any failure to do either, is absolutely unacceptable.
    UNREAL. This isn't a court of law....the OP did not realize he should record every conversation with RIM. It should work "here", because people here should be concerned with RIM doing the right thing, not: what RIM could get away with if the customer has not documented every conversation. (I know nobody who does that....not even sure how legally admissible that would be)

We aren't talking about the legality, we're talking about the morality. Saying, the CSR was "fickle/lie/deceptive", is a damning indictment or RIM. Horrifying.
    Just joined the site and all 5 of your posts are on this thread.

You even bypassed the welcome thread where you get to introduce yourself.

I'm not gonna even ask if you bothered to read the forum rules out of curiosity.

Something making the hairon the back of my neck stand up in here.

Anywho welcome aboard.
    08-03-12 07:42 PM
    Chuckle, methinks richardat doth protest too much.
    Chuckle, methinks rich_a and richarddat may have gone to the same school together. LoL
    08-03-12 07:53 PM
    Just joined the site and all 5 of your posts are on this thread.

You even bypassed the welcome thread where you get to introduce yourself.

I'm not gonna even ask if you bothered to read the forum rules out of curiosity.

Something making the hairon the back of my neck stand up in here.

Anywho welcome aboard.
    Thanks! I'm not sure why you're hair is standing up! I joined this site TO post in THIS thread! lol. Something about the OP's situation just brought back my HP memories.

I've lurked a few times before, and have often been tempted to speak up, as I've been a close follower of RIM as a business for a while now....a few years ago I predicted that RIM was going to fall very fast, and that it was inevitable. Back then, people said: what about business? To which I would say: that's true...they can run off the corporate contracts for quite a while...but even that will fall faster than anybody thinks. I must confess though, even I've been shocked by the downhill slope. Now, I don't think RIM is a viable business at all anymore....I think they are aware of this, and are mostly just posturing now. :-(

Mind you, I"m not happy about any of that. I have no horse in the race, either as a tech fan of a particular company, or financially.

In the past, I often just came to see what die-hard BB fans were thinking about various things....I've often been pleasantly suprised: yes, there are ridiculous fanboy-type people here, but there are also people with balanced perspectives of various shades.

You're absolutely right I bypassed the intro thread....in fact....I don't recall ever doing that in any forum I joined. If it's mandatory here, I'll do it!

Anyways, that's who I am. As far as this thread goes, if you have any problem with anything I post, all I ask is that you directly reply to the content of my post. I'll be happy to converse/debate/explain/defend anything I write!
    08-03-12 09:47 PM
    Chuckle, methinks rich_a and richarddat may have gone to the same school together. LoL
    LOL. O...K....if I find out rich_a is a moron, I"m going to revive this thread with vitriol aimed at you! ;-)
    08-03-12 09:48 PM
    To the OP, I am so happy for you. I still rate RIM Customer Service 0 out of 5. They took a month to send me a FedEx box when I RMA'D my PlayBook for faulty cameras within the warranty , shipped it back without necessary documentation so it took nearly 3 weeks before FedEx would release it to me, when I got it back the cameras worked, but it boots to a blank screen and takes on average 20 pushes to cycle the power button to get a usable screen (I have to push it so the screen comes up, then goes off, then up, then off. Mostly just the backlight comes up.) If the display times out, it's another 20 pushes. Swipes do not work.

So I tried to RMA it again as THEY BROKE IT and guess what they told me. Take it back where I bought it.

THEY SUCK. I hope Thorsten still reads the forum. I can give him both incident numbers.

I just bought an Asus Transformer Prime Infinity for my son off Amazon - should get it Tuesday. If I like it, goodbye PlayBook and maybe goodbye BlackBerry altogether. Not to mention that I am the IT project manager for my company and we're looking at rolling out tablets to our agents and roadside assistance crews. Not feeling warm and fuzzy about PlayBook...

I just had the exact situation but mine was out of warranty. They activated the free 90 day for me, next day had a box and within the week a brand new pb in my hand. Awesome customer service. I give them 5 out of 5.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    lovemyplaybook and hpjrt like this.
    08-04-12 07:49 AM
    Why should (s)he quit whining? RIM support said they would fix it for free and then reneged on the offer without explanation, that's before we even take into consideration that they paid a premium price for their product and are one of the early adopters RIM desperately needs to keep on their side, unlike people like me who bought their tablet at a knockdown price and then managed to get RIM to swap it because of two dead pixels!

I seriously wonder what some people on this thread are smoking.... They paid $500, RIM should do the right thing and just fix the device LIKE THEY PROMISED!
    IT WAS OUT OF WARRANTY! It doesn't matter what some under paid 3rd party call centre KID said! There is a bloody warranty for a reason, and franky, if he had a hard time giving it up while under warranty to fix, that's his tough crap!

You apparently have never worked in retail and had to deal with customers that think because they bought a PREMIMUM product that they deserve the world and to be treated different than everyone else with the same warranty period!

Out of warranty THAT IS THAT! No arguement what so ever.
    08-05-12 02:36 PM
    Got a another call on Friday and was told that they are sending me a brand new playbook because there is no excuse for the playbook to fail in the 13th month. And for those of you who are complaining that out of warranty means out of warranty, you are probably the ones that paid $199.00 and would be the first to complain if you had a problem. So to all jealous fake blackberry supporters...ha! I win! To all others thank you for the support.
    christenmartin likes this.
    08-05-12 03:48 PM
    IT WAS OUT OF WARRANTY! It doesn't matter what some under paid 3rd party call centre KID said! There is a bloody warranty for a reason, and franky, if he had a hard time giving it up while under warranty to fix, that's his tough crap!
    Sorry but you are wrong. Warranties are artificial constructs made by companies to limit their liability and save money rather than doing the right thing. Known design problems, such as the OPs charging port problem should be covered for longer as these are issues the device shipped with.

As for the argument that the CSR wasn't authorised to offer a repair, how does anyone know this? Has anyone from RIM's L1 or L2 support come on here to confirm this? If the CSR wasn't authorised to offer a repair then that is an internal matter and not one that the OP to be concerned with - they were promised a repair and, thankfully after some reflection on what's right by RIM, they've got one.

FWIW, I've worked in retail and can appreciate some customers are jerks. On the other side of the counter I can tell you that some sales clerks are jerks, too. What bearing any of that has on a manufacturers responsibility to put things right when an item is just outside of a warranty period I don't know!
    08-05-12 04:10 PM
    WHat is the number you called for this? I have the same issue with one of me Playbooks
    Sorry for delay in responding to this post. I just saw it tonight.

I called 1-877-644-8410. Wishing you the best on resolving your issue
    08-05-12 06:45 PM

You apparently have never worked in retail and had to deal with customers that think because they bought a PREMIMUM product that they deserve the world and to be treated different than everyone else with the same warranty period!

Out of warranty THAT IS THAT! No arguement what so ever.
    And you apparently haven't worked in a call centre. I have, for almost 10 years, and there were no KIDS hired. They were men and women trying to make a living for their family and in my town it was one of he only non retail full time jobs that had a full benefits package.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    08-06-12 09:27 AM
    I just had the exact situation but mine was out of warranty. They activated the free 90 day for me, next day had a box and within the week a brand new pb in my hand. Awesome customer service. I give them 5 out of 5.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Lucky you.

Well, the Asus arrived, and it's awesome. It comes with a one year GLOBAL warranty. Meanwhile, I have to leave Simplebrowser plus open with the "keep playbook alive" switch enabled,so that my screen remains up. Otherwise, it might take me 2 hours of reboots and power button pushes to get the screen to come up. Thanks RIM, I think I rather invest $499 in the Asus rather than another cent in a replacement Playbook.

Yeah, I am a disgruntled user.
    08-08-12 09:03 PM
    I am a longtime RIM/Blackberry customer. Today RIM has lost me and my company as a customer.
    My Blackberry Playbook which was purchased a little over a year ago for $499.00 stopped charging due to a loose charging port and has also never had a working H.D.M.I. port. I called Tech support and explained my problem and that my playbooks warranty had just expired and there should be record of my complaints while under warranty.
    He assured me that they would be able to fix the playbook at no charge. I was very happy and had them send me a Fed X box to ship to them. They received my playbook on the 24th of July. Today I received an email telling me they would charge me $99.00 to repair it. Needless to say I am not paying $99.00 to fix the playbook when I could have and still can purchase a new playbook for $199.00.
    Anyway my playbook is being returned not fixed and RIM/Blackberry did not want to budge.
    Because of this I have decided to stop supporting this company from now on. I will purchase a new tablet this weekend and proceed to switch our company's Blackberry's with new cell phones...NOT BLACKBERRY's!`

UPDATE 8/2/12
    UPDATE!!!!
    My faith in RIM has been restored. I just received a call from RIM Customer Loyalty and was informed that my Playbook will be repaired at no cost to me!
    When you edit a post like this don't delete your original post.
    08-09-12 04:56 AM
    Lucky you.

Well, the Asus arrived, and it's awesome. It comes with a one year GLOBAL warranty. Meanwhile, I have to leave Simplebrowser plus open with the "keep playbook alive" switch enabled,so that my screen remains up. Otherwise, it might take me 2 hours of reboots and power button pushes to get the screen to come up. Thanks RIM, I think I rather invest $499 in the Asus rather than another cent in a replacement Playbook.

Yeah, I am a disgruntled user.
    Glad you like your Asus but your assertion about the PB requiring a reboot after going into Sleep Mode is just not accurate.. A simple swipe from corner to corner brings the PB out of sleep to fully active in about a second or two.
    08-09-12 07:03 AM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD