I'm glade I purchased a 2 year extended warranty with damage protection for 34.99 when I got my playbook.
    antiRIM likes this.
    08-01-12 07:28 PM
    LOL -

I was always treated most polity by anyone at RIM customer service when I called for some software problems, and I never paid one cent
    the best CS I ever had with any computer company, try to call Microsoft and the money clock is ticking

BTW - I always pay with my Platinum Amex, if you have a Gold card and above the warranty time on electronics always is doubled by Amex here in the US, Amex will pay for the repair for the second year

American Express - don't leave home without it

rcm1301 and mszbzltn like this.
    08-01-12 07:38 PM
    without reading op i had only good experience with rim customer support. they even gave me extra three months of free customer support at no charge but most importantly helped me revive my pb from dead

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    08-01-12 07:38 PM
    It shows how the BlackBerry fanboys are beyond help. You're blaming the OP for something that's not her fault. The CSR told her that it would be a free of charge service but that's not the case. What I usually do in this case, when a csr is promising something to you, get his/her name and also a case ID. Make sure that it's documented on their note.
    08-01-12 07:49 PM
    It shows how the BlackBerry fanboys are beyond help. You're blaming the OP for something that's not her fault. The CSR told her that it would be a free of charge service but that's not the case. What I usually do in this case, when a csr is promising something to you, get his/her name and also a case ID. Make sure that it's documented on their note.
    You think? The OP never did say if they damaged it themself or not. If so I don't know too many places that the warranty includes user damage. For rep I agree and perhaps they over stepped their ability to state that.
    08-01-12 07:54 PM
    I bought the extended/breakage warranty that gave two years total. 1 year warranty is fine for electronics, and any port like the charging port that gets plugged in daily is "wearable", as is the hdmi port. You had one year to get the HDMI port fixed and did not so I don't think you can blame RIM for that. The charging port broke out of warranty. $99 is reasonable because they have to pay someone to fix it. They are a business, not a charity.
    08-01-12 08:49 PM
    Perhaps RIM is just sticking to the expiration date period. If my PB required $99 in repairs I would pay it because I simply could not imagine life without it! I swore I would not buy another Samsung product after our 50" plasma tv broke 1 week after the warranty expired and Samsung refused to offer any service. That was 4 years ago. Purchased a Samsung smart tv in March.....time heals all wounds.
    08-01-12 09:12 PM
    So you are going to switch your company's entire phone system because of a $99 charge for repair work done after a warranty expiration? I sympathize with your situation but it sounds to me that you may have been looking at a brand switch before your exchange with BB customer service. This may have been the final straw but there's got to be more to it than the faulty PlayBook to account for a complete switch out of BB10 phones. Perhaps I misread or missed something here.
    Last edited by alan510; 08-01-12 at 09:35 PM. Reason: I meant BB phones, not BB10. Wishful thinking I guess
    08-01-12 09:19 PM
    I have had two dealings with rim and both times of hey were very good. I was outside 90 day free trial, no problem. Signed me up, I mailed off my tablet they sent me a new one. I agree that it should last longer than 12 months, rim should just repair or replace on the down low! If th y didn't fix mine (which I thought) I was going to hit ebay and buy a new one. I friggin love this thing. I did not realize how much it is ingrained in my life until it's gone.
    08-01-12 09:24 PM
    I am a longtime RIM/Blackberry customer. Today RIM has lost me and my company as a customer.
    My Blackberry Playbook which was purchased a little over a year ago for $499.00 stopped charging due to a loose charging port and has also never had a working H.D.M.I. port. I called Tech support and explained my problem and that my playbooks warranty had just expired and there should be record of my complaints while under warranty.
    He assured me that they would be able to fix the playbook at no charge. I was very happy and had them send me a Fed X box to ship to them. They received my playbook on the 24th of July. Today I received an email telling me they would charge me $99.00 to repair it. Needless to say I am not paying $99.00 to fix the playbook when I could have and still can purchase a new playbook for $199.00.
    Anyway my playbook is being returned not fixed and RIM/Blackberry did not want to budge.
    Because of this I have decided to stop supporting this company from now on. I will purchase a new tablet this weekend and proceed to switch our company's Blackberry's with new cell phones...NOT BLACKBERRY's!`
    Does this mean you're going to change your nick?> Lovemyplaybook??? you could change it to Lovedmyplaybookuntilitranoutofwarrantyandtheywould ntrepairitforfreebecauseiwouldntsenditinwhenitwasu nderwarrantyinthefirstplace
    lovemyplaybook likes this.
    08-01-12 09:24 PM
    Thank you for all your responses. Yes I should have had it repaired when the hdmi port first began failing. Yes, I could have purchased the extended warranty. Yes I could have gotten names and id numbers from csr agents. But,the bottom line is that my playbook has never been damaged, dropped or cables forced upside down and just out of warranty...less than 30 days. I think these days where RIM is trying to survive and hold on to loyal customers, they should have done the right thing and repaired a $500.00 device that failed in the 13th month. Yes, I will move on to another tablet and purchase the extended warranty and do all the above things that I did not. In closing maybe it is time to move on from Blackberry like so many others have.
    08-01-12 09:26 PM
    lexluthorxx

lol..Probably not because I still love my playbook.
    08-01-12 09:27 PM
    I'm absolutely amazed at the responses to this poor guy! His $500 device should last longer than a 12 month warranty period. Here in the EU we have strong consumer protection laws which effectively prevent retailers from washing their hands of broken items which fail to last a reasonable length of time. People have managed to get items with known faults replaced up to five years after their purchase, despite the manufacturer only offering a 12 month warranty.

OP, write a letter to the CEO explaining the poor service you have received with a postscript that you expect a *five hundred dollar* device to last well over a year when it has been looked after and well maintained.

To the other posters who think it's acceptable for RIM to wash their hands of well known issues after 12 months: what the heck are you smoking????
    I am not amazed that the EU is in financial collapse. Always something for nothing.
    08-01-12 10:12 PM
    I am a longtime RIM/Blackberry customer. Today RIM has lost me and my company as a customer.
    My Blackberry Playbook which was purchased a little over a year ago for $499.00 stopped charging due to a loose charging port and has also never had a working H.D.M.I. port. I called Tech support and explained my problem and that my playbooks warranty had just expired and there should be record of my complaints while under warranty.
    He assured me that they would be able to fix the playbook at no charge. I was very happy and had them send me a Fed X box to ship to them. They received my playbook on the 24th of July. Today I received an email telling me they would charge me $99.00 to repair it. Needless to say I am not paying $99.00 to fix the playbook when I could have and still can purchase a new playbook for $199.00.
    Anyway my playbook is being returned not fixed and RIM/Blackberry did not want to budge.
    Because of this I have decided to stop supporting this company from now on. I will purchase a new tablet this weekend and proceed to switch our company's Blackberry's with new cell phones...NOT BLACKBERRY's!`
    If you received a FedEx box to ship the defective tablet, you would have previously received an email with information about the RMA as well as a request to confirm acceptance of the terms and conditions. Read the others threads about returning the BlackBerry PlayBook on an RMA. So, my question to the OP...are you telling tales?
    08-01-12 10:33 PM
    Thank you for all your responses. Yes I should have had it repaired when the hdmi port first began failing. Yes, I could have purchased the extended warranty. Yes I could have gotten names and id numbers from csr agents. But,the bottom line is that my playbook has never been damaged, dropped or cables forced upside down and just out of warranty...less than 30 days. I think these days where RIM is trying to survive and hold on to loyal customers, they should have done the right thing and repaired a $500.00 device that failed in the 13th month. Yes, I will move on to another tablet and purchase the extended warranty and do all the above things that I did not. In closing maybe it is time to move on from Blackberry like so many others have.
    So, because a company is struggling...they should give you free products. Yeah.
    08-01-12 10:37 PM
    So, because a company is struggling...they should give you free products. Yeah.
    Where did you read that I am asking for free product? I am asking the company to stand behind its product!
    08-01-12 10:47 PM
    If you received a FedEx box to ship the defective tablet, you would have previously received an email with information about the RMA as well as a request to confirm acceptance of the terms and conditions. Read the others threads about returning the BlackBerry PlayBook on an RMA. So, my question to the OP...are you telling tales?
    Yes..Tall Tales!
    08-01-12 10:50 PM
    Where did you read that I am asking for free product? I am asking the company to stand behind its product!

You're asking them to repair your product for free outside of it's warranty because they are struggling. That in my opinion, is asking them to give you free product because they are a struggling company.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-01-12 10:55 PM
    Well that's your opinion. A free "product" would be asking them to replace it for free. I am asking them to stand behind their $500.00 product that should last more than 12 and a half months.
    08-01-12 11:06 PM
    Well that's your opinion. A free "product" would be asking them to replace it for free. I am asking them to stand behind their $500.00 product that should last more than 12 and a half months.
    I feel your pain. Since there is evidence of the malfunction while under warranty it would have been good customer service for RIM to stand behind their product. Especially, since they are loosing customers left and right. Your case, I am sure, is just one of many examples and it is why RIM will fail if they don't change their attitude. Honestly, you will be much happier with another device. The new windows 8 tablets look pretty exciting as well. I am so glad I got rid of mine before the price drop. I still lost $200.00 but at least I go out... lol
    Last edited by lavrishevo; 08-01-12 at 11:29 PM.
    08-01-12 11:27 PM
    A well built and premium product like a playbook should last at least 5 years in my opinion, RIM should be obliged to fix problems for at least 2 years - anything less is, frankly, negligent on their part.
    Chuckle, and can you name one electronics manufacturer that has a basic (non extended, that you pay extra for) manufacturer's warranty past one year?

I want my iPod to last past 18 months, but the d@mn soldered in batteries keep dying past the warranty period. IMO, they should last 10 years being a market leader and all!!!

Cheers,
    08-01-12 11:27 PM
    I am not amazed that the EU is in financial collapse. Always something for nothing.
    As far as I know Britain is not in "financial collapse"? How is holding a manufacturer/retailer accountable for a product that doesn't last a sufficient length of time giving "something for nothing"? Do you support the idea that a manufacturer can sell you something designed to break after the warranty expiration and then ask you for more money to fix it? Is the only consumer protection law you believe in "Caveat Emptor"? If you really think that, I have a bridge I'd like you sell you...

Chuckle, and can you name one electronics manufacturer that has a basic (non extended, that you pay extra for) manufacturer's warranty past one year?
    Apple and Humax both offer 2 year warranties by default, but this makes little difference -here you can claim up to 5 years later with the retailer if you can prove the item you bought was shipped with a known defect like the dodgy USB port problem.

Decent manufacturers should use discretion to determine when to fix an item. Just a few weeks ago my wife's radio (manufactured by Philips) broke on "month 13". Before seeking redress with the retailer she contacted Philips who said "it's out of warranty". One short "this wasn't a cheap radio, I expected it to last longer than a year" speech later and she has a shiny new replacement This gesture has made her feel better for Philips as a whole and she will likely buy more of their products in the future. If they had handled it badly we probably wouldn't buy anything manufactured by them again!
    08-02-12 01:43 AM
    Blackberry for life!!!
    08-02-12 02:00 AM
    I feel your pain. Since there is evidence of the malfunction while under warranty it would have been good customer service for RIM to stand behind their product. Especially, since they are loosing customers left and right. Your case, I am sure, is just one of many examples and it is why RIM will fail if they don't change their attitude. Honestly, you will be much happier with another device. The new windows 8 tablets look pretty exciting as well. I am so glad I got rid of mine before the price drop. I still lost $200.00 but at least I go out... lol
    I too bought mine for $700 on launch day and now it's worth under $200
    lovemyplaybook and madman0141 like this.
    08-02-12 03:36 AM
    Situations like this make me sick. Customer service isn't brain surgery for God's sake. Now RIM's customer service is acting like Best Buy.
    Simple things like the OP went through are going to kill this company.
    lovemyplaybook and rcm1301 like this.
    08-02-12 06:59 AM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD