Well ... you can't say that about the 2.0 update! They were on time and it was a terrific OS update!

Why not look at this from a "glass half full" point of view? There is a new CEO ... there are plans afoot to which we aren't privy ... and things just might be on the road to a better RIM.
    I'm just looking at the glass. Determinations on its status will follow!

(That tech radar article also said there would be the, ahem, usual interim/frequent upgrades - still waiting for the one that will fix the battery sucking (clearly empty glass) when email is set for manual).
    03-14-12 02:57 PM
    (That tech radar article also said there would be the, ahem, usual interim/frequent upgrades - still waiting for the one that will fix the battery sucking (clearly empty glass) when email is set for manual).
    the Battery's been fine for me, you may just want to try a reinstall.
    03-14-12 03:04 PM
    OS2 should be far from BB10. The customization settings in OS2 are pretty scarce not to mention the tons of bugs when using it with Exchange servers. I don't think they can have all the features of os7 in BB10 at launch but I hope it's good enough.

BBOS is literally like having a portable Outlook in your pocket! It's that good!
    03-14-12 04:12 PM
    Yea this is quite confusing. Seeing how bbx "bb10" is a qnx kernal. It appears to me that what's trying to be said is that the PB is going to more of the BB ui. If the PB gets some of os7's ui features I'll be tickled. PB really needs hoover menus.
    Don't get me wrong I love my PB but it doesn't act like a BB. If that's what is meant that PB I getting or going to bb10 then great. But yea the PB is already running the os. We don't know the ui differences yet. Or at less wat I can find.
    03-14-12 04:14 PM
    Is anyone else concerned about your playbook being limited by a os designed for a phone? I'm not very knowledgeable, but I wouldn't really like a playbook that just looks like a big phone. Seems like a phone UI and a tablet UI would be best off specialized for each. I really don't know what I am talking about here though.
    03-14-12 04:22 PM
    Apple has been very successful with the one OS fits all approach for their idevices
    03-14-12 06:19 PM
    I had a few rough edges on my PB after being dropped. However, I took a nail file and smooth out the rough spots. Plus it has run excellent since I got it last August. Not a single problem.
    zethaaron likes this.
    03-14-12 06:32 PM
    This really isn't news. BB10 is just the name for the next version of Tablet OS.

Think of it like this: Tablet OS 1.0 was Windows Vista, Tablet OS 2.0 was Windows 7, and BB10 is Windows 8.

BB10 will bring some UI changes, just like how Windows 8 is bringing the new Metro homescreen, but it's still Tablet OS. That's why all Tablet OS apps will work on BB10, just like Windows 7 apps work on Windows 8 (desktop version anyways).

I'm sure there will be UI differences between BB10 on phones and BB10 on tablets. Apps can be designed to two column layout on the bigger PB screen, and revert to single column on the small phone screen. Many apps already do this when you turn into portrait mode.

BB10 will NOT contain any code from BBOS. The talk of "unifying" BBOS and Tablet OS just means that they'll bring BBOS features to Tablet OS. Things like notification profiles, push Twitter/FB/etc, BlackBerry Traffic, BlackBerry Protect, etc.

Don't think of BB10 like a new OS, it's just a new version of an existing OS. It can still be a big upgrade while being the same OS. Look at Windows 7 to Windows 8 and the whole new Metro environment.
    03-14-12 07:14 PM
    from the referenced artticle by the OP...
    "RIM tells us that around 50% of PlayBook users installed the update on the first day of release – no doubt thrilled to finally get email on their tablets." ...
    Ouch! Un-informed people in this article making foolish email statements.
    (truth is that Bridge email was always available, and FYI - a small majority of CB posters prefer the Birdge over the new Native email.)
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-poll-704987/
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 03-14-12 at 11:46 PM. Reason: add link
    03-14-12 07:41 PM
    TechRadar: BlackBerry 10: New BB10 Rumours - release date, specs, features & leaks

Uploaded February 9, so maybe the video is outdated. However, a point is brought up that I dislike most: current model of playbook may be missed for BB10? (See at 39 seconds.) Idk.
    03-15-12 01:00 AM
    I don't want to start an argument here, but I'm curious to what rough edges you're referring?
    One rough edge is the different user interfaces used for BlackBerry Bridge-mode email and native email. The user experience should be identical with the exception that no data is stored on the tablet when operating in bridged mode for email and the social media integration.

Another rough edge is BlackBerry Android Player loading into memory but never seeming to be released from memory when no repackaged Android application is launched.

Overall, I am pleased with the tablet.
    03-15-12 01:03 AM
    While I look forward to new/more features I worry about changes that could ruin a (in my opinion at least) fantastic OS/UI.
    Gideon23 likes this.
    03-15-12 06:22 AM
    TechRadar: BlackBerry 10: New BB10 Rumours - release date, specs, features & leaks

Uploaded February 9, so maybe the video is outdated. However, a point is brought up that I dislike most: current model of playbook may be missed for BB10? (See at 39 seconds.) Idk.
    Well to be fair since they are saying that the playbook won't see BB10 until after its released on on phones we are looking at next year. The current playbook will be 2years old by then and will be all but obsolete.
    Gideon23 likes this.
    03-15-12 07:16 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-a-709386-new/

Its here as well

Basically this is a naming convention. The tablet OS was never going to stay "BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0" etc. Its all been a progression to BB10.
    03-15-12 07:20 AM
    What exactly would this mean for the overall functionality differences on the playbook?
    03-15-12 09:50 PM
    Well to be fair since they are saying that the playbook won't see BB10 until after its released on on phones we are looking at next year. The current playbook will be 2years old by then and will be all but obsolete.
    By tablet standards maybe, but by phone standards, if the BB10 phones have an OMAP4 and 1GB of RAM, the PB will still run anything they do.
    03-15-12 10:50 PM
    By tablet standards maybe, but by phone standards, if the BB10 phones have an OMAP4 and 1GB of RAM, the PB will still run anything they do.
    I'm thinking that the BB10 phones will be more powerful then the current Playbook. This playbook may very well be able to run those BB10 apps but most likely not as well as the BB10 phones and the 2nd/3rd Gen Playbooks.
    03-15-12 10:58 PM
    Still won't help without a massive app selection

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk
    03-15-12 11:32 PM
    huh ... i thought they were the same thing.
    03-16-12 12:06 AM
    from the referenced artticle by the OP...

Ouch! Un-informed people in this article making foolish email statements.
    (truth is that Bridge email was always available, and FYI - a small majority of CB posters prefer the Birdge over the new Native email.)
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-poll-704987/
    That's not being uninformed it's just facing facts, if a feature is only available on the PlayBook over bridge, it's not available for the PlayBook. I'm sure bridged email is great (not sarcasm), but if I don't have a Blackberry phone then I don't have email (until now obviously), and it's not like I'm buying a phone just to use the PlayBook as a screen for it's email app. Bridge seems great but, it's a tablet, not a phone accessory. RIM has had the problem of making the PlayBook seem too much like a phone accessory for a while now, at least they should be shaking it now that they have the native apps the PlayBook needed.
    03-16-12 12:13 AM
    One rough edge is the different user interfaces used for BlackBerry Bridge-mode email and native email. The user experience should be identical with the exception that no data is stored on the tablet when operating in bridged mode for email and the social media integration.

Another rough edge is BlackBerry Android Player loading into memory but never seeming to be released from memory when no repackaged Android application is launched.

Overall, I am pleased with the tablet.
    Fair enough, glad you're pleased. I'm quite fond of mine too. :P
    03-16-12 12:14 AM
    Love the excitement by the OP, but this was confirmed to be the case back since BlackBerry DevCon last fall, when it was still called BBX
    zethaaron likes this.
    03-16-12 01:24 AM
    Love the excitement by the OP, but this was confirmed to be the case back since BlackBerry DevCon last fall, when it was still called BBX
    I thought it had been known for awhile... Still, I guess anyone who didn't know should now. :P Thanks Kev
    03-16-12 01:43 AM
    I'm thinking that the BB10 phones will be more powerful then the current Playbook. This playbook may very well be able to run those BB10 apps but most likely not as well as the BB10 phones and the 2nd/3rd Gen Playbooks.
    How so? BBOS7 phones top out at 1.2GHz single core and 768MB RAM, I could see 1.2GHz dual core and 1GB RAM in a BB10 phone, so slightly more powerful than the PlayBook, but they're not going to want to put too much power into them as that would drain the battery too quickly. Also, given the Curve line has only 800MHz and 512MB of RAM I'd be very surprised if the PlayBook is weaker than the next Curve.
    03-16-12 07:32 AM
    How so? BBOS7 phones top out at 1.2GHz single core and 768MB RAM, I could see 1.2GHz dual core and 1GB RAM in a BB10 phone, so slightly more powerful than the PlayBook, but they're not going to want to put too much power into them as that would drain the battery too quickly. Also, given the Curve line has only 800MHz and 512MB of RAM I'd be very surprised if the PlayBook is weaker than the next Curve.
    The BB10 Bolds will diffenetly be faster the the current Playbook. I can also see the BB10 Curves with 1Ghz dual core CPUs and 1GB of RAM. But the CPUs in both the Bold and Curve BB10 phones will be newer processors then what's in the 1st Gen Playbook. In my opinion the entire line of BB10 phones will be more powerful.
    03-16-12 09:16 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD