Just read on Techradar.com that RIM is planing on using BB10 on its PlayBook - just gets better and better! Am loving my PlayBook experience, and I'm sure it'll just get better and better within time. Took my playbook into work today and ended up having a small gathering around me (which I handled quite well and even managed to impress the iPad owning crew!)
    Am very happy with my Playbook and like I've said previously - am looking forward to great things from RIM in due course...
    03-14-12 11:34 AM
    Hopefully the playbook and BB10 phones will work together in amazing ways

But this also means current playbook owners could upgrade to OS7 phones and still get the BB10 experience .

It might make the decision to upgrade now a little bit easier
    zma15 likes this.
    03-14-12 11:47 AM
    I think it has been said this will be the case for a long time now. I guess it takes someone other than RIM to confirm it.
    Barljo and BB_Bmore like this.
    03-14-12 11:51 AM
    Yeah, I took it for granted that the PlayBook would get BB10, BBX was supposed to merge BBOS with QNX, rather than meaning anything specific. That's also why the London is supposed to have a 1024*600 resolution screen - so apps intended for one work fine on the other.
    03-14-12 11:57 AM
    Makes no sense to me, OS2 is QNX which is what's coming to the BB phones.

We already have it, I suppose they could do a little upgrade but in reality we're already there.
    Todor Ninov likes this.
    03-14-12 11:59 AM
    No we are not there yet, we are the path to there. More goodies yet to come. Stay tuned.
    03-14-12 12:02 PM
    Yeah we are still on the stepping stone to BB10.. And so far its been GREAT, so I'm really excited to see what's in store for BB10.
    03-14-12 12:52 PM
    Makes no sense to me, OS2 is QNX which is what's coming to the BB phones.

We already have it, I suppose they could do a little upgrade but in reality we're already there.
    I'll ask a bit more...

What does BB10 offer us over what we've got? I fear that apps will be sized for the smaller phone screen!!!!! But seriously, what is BB10? I doubt anyone really knows so why are "we" excited about getting it?

Isn't it more the case that the next bbphones will be getting the pb's OS, obviously with some tweaks.
    03-14-12 12:52 PM
    By the time the phones are released our playbooks will look nothing like they do now. Be prepared to see a host of goodies. This os is the beginning of bb10, the very beginning! Expect great things to come!
    bike2travel likes this.
    03-14-12 12:57 PM
    I fear that apps will be sized for the smaller phone screen!!!!! .
    In terms of sizing, as long as RIM sticks with the same pixel aspect ratio from now to future devices, a developer can develop for a larger screen and it would shrink just fine on a smaller device.
    03-14-12 01:04 PM
    I'll ask a bit more...

What does BB10 offer us over what we've got? I fear that apps will be sized for the smaller phone screen!!!!! But seriously, what is BB10? I doubt anyone really knows so why are "we" excited about getting it?

Isn't it more the case that the next bbphones will be getting the pb's OS, obviously with some tweaks.
    Cascades, all bb aps bbm protect travel traffic etc. Skype integration to video chat I keep hearing. Not to mention that bbos apps and pbos apps on one device. Upped specs and more. But really tho your allowed to your opinion but I'm seeing the fruits of rims revamped structure starting to show and I'm loving it...
    03-14-12 01:05 PM
    I'm really excited to see where RIM is going. I know there are a lot of people that have written RIM off due to its poor market performance in the last little while, but everything I've seen in the last few months has been that of a company moving forward. I'm glad I've jumped on board with RIM, because so far the company has delivered everything that I've been looking for in a phone and a tablet. I can't wait for those experiences to become even more intertwined.

JB
    DeonADB, menaknow, rleo25 and 2 others like this.
    03-14-12 01:11 PM
    03-14-12 01:30 PM
    I thought the QNX is what BBX is going to be?
    03-14-12 01:41 PM
    I thought the QNX is what BBX is going to be?
    It is, BB OS is moving towards QNX and BBX and Tablet OS is already QNX and moving toward BBX so that they'll both merge, and the phones can run the same operating system. Also, RIM has said that from now on they'll only be developing phones with one aspect ratio, so that even if the phone screen has a lower resolution, an app designed for the tablet can easily scale down to the phone. Fortunately, now screen tech is good enough that a smaller phone can have the same resolution, so that even though the screen is smaller, it won't have to scale, it will fit perfectly just like it does on the tablet.
    03-14-12 01:46 PM
    I'll believe it the day BB10 appears as an update on my Playbook. RIM has missed deadlines far too many times to really give their comments much weight. They could just as easily change their mind and decide to pass on this update for the current Playbook model. This has happened before with other hardware makers.
    03-14-12 01:46 PM
    I'll believe it the day BB10 appears as an update on my Playbook. RIM has missed deadlines far too many times to really give their comments much weight. They could just as easily change their mind and decide to pass on this update for the current Playbook model. This has happened before with other hardware makers.
    Well ... you can't say that about the 2.0 update! They were on time and it was a terrific OS update!

Why not look at this from a "glass half full" point of view? There is a new CEO ... there are plans afoot to which we aren't privy ... and things just might be on the road to a better RIM.
    03-14-12 01:50 PM
    I think we need to take this commitment as a new one, wait until we have more of a reason to believe they are going to miss the deadline before we start predicting they will.
    hpjrt likes this.
    03-14-12 01:53 PM
    By the time the phones are released our playbooks will look nothing like they do now. Be prepared to see a host of goodies. This os is the beginning of bb10, the very beginning! Expect great things to come!
    You mean like all the other great things RIM has delivered lately?

Yikes you guys need to stop drinking the Kool Aid. Why don't we wait and see, BB10 might be great, it might be terrible, or it might be ok. Probably ok.
    Bakamushi likes this.
    03-14-12 01:58 PM
    Just read on Techradar.com that RIM is planing on using BB10 on its PlayBook - just gets better and better!
    The BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS was always intended to be the basis for the next generation smartphone operating system BB10 formerly known as BBX. Techradar must have been asleep at the console when the announcement flew through their airspace. Sorry I could not resist the pun.
    03-14-12 02:03 PM
    Well ... you can't say that about the 2.0 update! They were on time and it was a terrific OS update!

Why not look at this from a "glass half full" point of view? There is a new CEO ... there are plans afoot to which we aren't privy ... and things just might be on the road to a better RIM.
    No, it was not on time actually. The 2.0 update was initially promised for the summer after the Playbook was launched, then promised again for the fall I believe. They did finally deliver, but for those who paid full retail this was bittersweet. Luckily, I didn't.

I think we need to take this commitment as a new one, wait until we have more of a reason to believe they are going to miss the deadline before we start predicting they will.
    The reason I have for believing they may not deliver BB10 to the Playbook is based upon the fact that past deadlines were blown by several months. However, with new leadership at the helm perhaps it will be different.
    03-14-12 02:05 PM
    Yes, on time. No, the OS update is not terrific; it has too many rough edges that point to poor quality control and even worse software project management. Yes, I am happy with the latest update because it adequately meets most of my current needs and the new features tap into the potential of this tablet. Remote control and smartphone keyboard as an input device are very nice and prove sometimes Research In Motion can get a few small things right. As the rough edges and inconsistent user experience between bridge-mode and native applications slowly fades my satisfaction will increase. Keep in mind it took Apple over a year to get it right with the original Apple iPad and they already had Mac OSX.
    dave1701 likes this.
    03-14-12 02:10 PM
    Yes, on time. No, the OS update is not terrific; it has too many rough edges that point to poor quality control and even worse software project management. Yes, I am happy with the latest update because it adequately meets most of my current needs and the new features tap into the potential of this tablet. Remote control and smartphone keyboard as an input device are very nice and prove sometimes Research In Motion can get a few small things right. As the rough edges and inconsistent user experience between bridge-mode and native applications slowly fades my satisfaction will increase. Keep in mind it took Apple over a year to get it right with the original Apple iPad and they already had Mac OSX.
    I don't want to start an argument here, but I'm curious to what rough edges you're referring?
    03-14-12 02:22 PM
    I'm really excited to see where RIM is going. I know there are a lot of people that have written RIM off due to its poor market performance in the last little while, but everything I've seen in the last few months has been that of a company moving forward. I'm glad I've jumped on board with RIM, because so far the company has delivered everything that I've been looking for in a phone and a tablet. I can't wait for those experiences to become even more intertwined.

JB
    Exactly what I was going to say myself. I got a chance to meet with some of the RIM development team at an HTML5 event.

They seemed really excited, knowledgeable and were addressing the shortcomings. The best part? They agreed about the problems they are having. And I was told of that there are certain rewrites that will happen to improve some application features.
    03-14-12 02:41 PM
    How the heck is this news?
    03-14-12 02:42 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD