Anybody know if bbm groups are going to be included? if so i would basically have no reason to take my phone out of my pocket.
    As it is, I find sleeping with the holster and phone a pita.
    01-11-12 09:52 AM
    for me it obviously would be great if it does get released in feb...and i think it will be. however...IF it gets delayes by a monthnor two or more (i highly doubt it btw), it'll still be awesome so thats all that i care about really.
    01-11-12 10:04 AM
    for me it obviously would be great if it does get released in feb...and i think it will be. however...IF it gets delayes by a monthnor two or more (i highly doubt it btw), it'll still be awesome so thats all that i care about really.
    Agreed, not a deal breaker for me either.
    01-11-12 10:14 AM
    I saw that video and now I'm really excited about the new OS.
    Berryuman likes this.
    01-11-12 10:19 AM
    i've never heard anynody from rim use the word "promise" regarding updates and releases, ever
    01-11-12 04:14 PM
    And if they do deliver?
    First time for everything I guess. Haha
    01-11-12 04:17 PM
    I am extremely happy with my PlayBook's current performance and am really looking forward to the OS2 upgrade when it arrives as well
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-11-12 06:03 PM
    I am extremely happy with my PlayBook's current performance and am really looking forward to the OS2 upgrade when it arrives as well
    Agreed !!!! I love how it works as is. However, updates are always nice to have
    If it gets delayed I wont worry much, as I am happy with what I have.
    01-11-12 07:49 PM
    i've never heard anynody from rim use the word "promise" regarding updates and releases, ever
    Used the word? Maybe not, but that's not important. I liked the analogy someone gave in another thread, describing someone showing up for their own wedding, and their fianc�(e) never arrived, but said "well, I never said I *promised* to show up!"

From googling: "prom-ise /ˈpr�məs/, noun. A declaration or assurance that one will do a particular thing or that guarantees that a particular thing will happen."

So yes, RIM has promised things and not delivered. They promised initially to release the PlayBook in one fiscal quarter, and missed. They promised some stuff last summer and missed. They promised to demo 2.0 at the DevCon in October, and pulled that at the last minute. They've promised lots of things.

Fortunately, it looks like they will actually be able to keep this promise, releasing by end of February as they've said they will do. Showing you can start meeting commitments again is the third step to regaining some of your lost respect and credibility when you've screwed up.

(The first is admitting they made mistakes, which Alec Saunders wisely started off doing early last fall.)

(The second would probably be apologizing... I don't suppose we'll actually see that done explicitly, but showering us with excellent post-2.0 updates at a rapid clip would probably be taken as an implicit apology by most here. (hint, hint, RIM!) ;-) )
    JeepBB, kbz1960 and ralfyguy like this.
    01-11-12 08:36 PM
    Ever wonder why you guys didn't just buy an IPad?
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    01-12-12 03:28 AM
    Not in this lifetime.
    01-12-12 06:18 AM
    No. I've used an iPad. Nice little gadget, but not little enough...
    01-12-12 06:39 AM
    I can't check the video as I'm at work, but didn't the guy from RIM demo'ing OS2 email (Jeff Gadaway?) finish with something like: "...and it's coming in February".

If my grey cells have recollected correctly, that sounds like a promise to me!

Though it probably makes no difference what he actually said. The world has inferred a "promise" of February since the original VP "expected" statement back in November and would go crazy if it didn't arrive in February. RIM bleating that they never actually promised will cut no ice with anyone!

Which is why I'm convinced OS2 (containing whatever is working on the day ) will be released in February.
    01-12-12 06:44 AM
    I have an iPad from work. It literally sits in its pretty little box. I have no use for it (fortunately or unfortunately). Its not anywhere close to as portable as the Playbook, and lacks the integration with the BlackBerry I already use. And it doesnt do anywhere close to as much as my laptop. It sits in no mans land and thus doesnt get used.
    01-12-12 06:44 AM
    I can't check the video as I'm at work, but didn't the guy from RIM demo'ing OS2 email (Jeff Gadaway?) finish with something like: "...and it's coming in February".

If my grey cells have recollected correctly, that sounds like a promise to me!

Though it probably makes no difference what he actually said. The world has inferred a "promise" of February since the original VP "expected" statement back in November and would go crazy if it didn't arrive in February. RIM bleating that they never actually promised will cut no ice with anyone!

Which is why I'm convinced OS2 (containing whatever is working on the day ) will be released in February.
    From several people I know within RIM (of varying levels of responsibility), February was chosen so they would not miss it. They gave themselves enough time so they didnt have to say "oops" again. They have, internally, had working PIM for months now, and they would go through a couple builds a week for large scale internal testing (on 4G playbooks too)
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-12-12 06:46 AM
    iPad is too big for me to carry around.

I have several iPad-owning buddies who never take their iPads outside the house for the same reason.
    01-12-12 06:47 AM
    Here is one journalist who is at least positive, if not noncommittal about PlayBook's potential under OS/2. Note that he has an analyst who estimates that there will be approaching 5 million playbooks by end of fiscal 2013 (pales in comparison to Apple's 11.1 million sales last quarter).

RIM tries a PlayBook reboot - The Globe and Mail
    01-12-12 07:45 AM
    Here is one journalist who is at least positive, if not noncommittal about PlayBook's potential under OS/2. Note that he has an analyst who estimates that there will be approaching 5 million playbooks by end of fiscal 2013 (pales in comparison to Apple's 11.1 million sales last quarter).

Yes. I feel the sales will pick up now that the PB has the full PIM functionality. Apps are popping up daily and Android support is huge.

It will never match the Apple numbers. Or at least practically no one would predict so. But all it has to do is become a sustainable development platform. There's no telling where all this stuff is headed. QNX based integration with all kinds of devices and services is a grand plan. Lots of room for RIM to differentiate.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-12-12 08:08 AM
    still no usb host?
    01-12-12 08:57 AM

Even more interesting are the comments in that article. Finally, some balanced writing.

I gave up reading articles about RIM in the G&M because to me they are blatantly anti-RIM, attracting similar comments. This article has more comments from people who have actually bought a playbook for themselves and/or their families - and overwhelmingly love it. Several of them have ipads already and it's interesting seeing how they compare the PB and the iPad for themselves. The comparisons are quite funny in some places... PB portable work machine with games, iPad for home and play. Of course, the naysayers (who clearly don't have PBs but are happy to criticise them anyway) are there too, and doing their best to throw cold water, but signigicantly their voices seem increasingly overshadowed by the people who are loving their Playbooks and can't understand why people are slating it. And these are not people gasping for the OS2 changes, so they are going to be even happier when that drops.
    01-12-12 09:07 AM
    What is better, (1) Delay the release until they know the OS is ready, or, (2) Release it with bugs and send out updates?
    Option number two has worked for decades for Mr. Gates !!! I think RIM would do well to mimic a proven business practice. In software world if you wait for perfection your product will be " old " when it is born.
    01-12-12 09:21 AM
    Even more interesting are the comments in that article. Finally, some balanced writing.

I gave up reading articles about RIM in the G&M because to me they are blatantly anti-RIM, attracting similar comments. This article has more comments from people who have actually bought a playbook for themselves and/or their families - and overwhelmingly love it. Several of them have ipads already and it's interesting seeing how they compare the PB and the iPad for themselves. The comparisons are quite funny in some places... PB portable work machine with games, iPad for home and play. Of course, the naysayers (who clearly don't have PBs but are happy to criticise them anyway) are there too, and doing their best to throw cold water, but signigicantly their voices seem increasingly overshadowed by the people who are loving their Playbooks and can't understand why people are slating it. And these are not people gasping for the OS2 changes, so they are going to be even happier when that drops.
    I word-of-mouth recruited 4 people in 1 day after I let them see mine. All 4 bought. But I still hear "I thought that got panned in the reviews" a lot. Sheeple are Sheeple. It takes a geek to know an above average product. Sheeple never investigate what makes a gadget tick inside, they just read what John Q. Public Moron Esquire III wrote in a comment section of a year old review or ask the kid who used to hand him fries at the drive-thru but now works at BigBoxStore.

On a totally unrelated topic, I am so cleverly nasty after a few pints!
    01-12-12 09:23 AM
    ^^^ Definitely amusing. I should do more drunken posting. Then again, maybe I shouldn't...
    01-12-12 09:38 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD