And it includes android. Email etc but why not a confirmed release date
    http://m.economictimes.com/tech/hard...w/11434387.cms
    01-10-12 07:01 AM
    February 2012
    01-10-12 07:15 AM
    we shall see soon.it was on the local cbc news a few weeks ago that the os will be delayed till late 2012 causing rim stocks to go lower.i posted the day it was on tv and got shot down and yelled at for posting it.
    01-10-12 08:17 AM
    we shall see soon.it was on the local cbc news a few weeks ago that the os will be delayed till late 2012 causing rim stocks to go lower.i posted the day it was on tv and got shot down and yelled at for posting it.
    Gene, you're confusing the PlayBook OS with the handset OS (which will eventually be the same thing). That's what you heard on the news. The handset OS (BlackBerry 10) is delayed until late 2012, the PlayBook OS (Tablet OS 2.0) will be released in February.
    Megacharge and cogsinister like this.
    01-10-12 08:21 AM
    I can see why...
    01-10-12 08:22 AM
    kind of a boring read...let see what happens in February.
    01-10-12 08:27 AM
    I can see why...
    Ditto. My sentiments as well.
    01-10-12 09:08 AM
    Good news! And I like seeing RIM go on the record... I would think by now they only dare do so if they are confident about it after 2 years of snafus.
    01-10-12 09:09 AM
    It is still "expected February 2012". They are giving themselves an out in case they do a repeat performance of missing dates like they have with all dates given for anything Playbook related, which wouldn't surprise me at all.
    01-10-12 09:16 AM
    It is still "expected February 2012". They are giving themselves an out in case they do a repeat performance of missing dates like they have with all dates given for anything Playbook related, which wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Hah, good point. They were careful to say expected, not scheduled... Which wont matter anyway because ... um... they didnt promise it in February 2011 right?
    stevedee likes this.
    01-10-12 10:03 AM
    Hah, good point. They were careful to say expected, not scheduled... Which wont matter anyway because ... um... they didnt promise it in February 2011 right?
    Oh another "promised" discussion. It is clear that RIM has missed everything on the Playbook to date that they have said in public statements:

- Release Q1 or Playbook
    - 60 Day PIM and Native e-mail
    - Summer PIM and Native e-mail and Android
    - End of Summer PIM and Native e-mail and Android
    - Fall 2.0 (Alec Saunders stating we'd see 2.0 by Fall)
    - BBX/10 available early 2012.

They have now publicly said we would have 2.0 now in February. Did they "promise" it, no I didn't get a pinky swear from Mike or Jim personally or any other RIM exec just another statement from the company, but of course they have little credibility anyway from the statements that they listed above that were blatantly false. If they miss February it won't surprise me, but it will only further erode the companies lacking credibility. There is a reason why Crackberry Kevin called 2011 "The year of broken promises" in the last podcast.
    Serkle K and Daeve like this.
    01-10-12 10:15 AM
    Oh another "promised" discussion. It is clear that RIM has missed everything on the Playbook to date that they have said in public statements:

- Release Q1 or Playbook
    - 60 Day PIM and Native e-mail
    - Summer PIM and Native e-mail and Android
    - End of Summer PIM and Native e-mail and Android
    - Fall 2.0 (Alec Saunders stating we'd see 2.0 by Fall)
    - BBX/10 available early 2012.

They have now publicly said we would have 2.0 now in February. Did they "promise" it, no I didn't get a pinky swear from Mike or Jim personally or any other RIM exec just another statement from the company, but of course they have little credibility anyway from the statements that they listed above that were blatantly false. If they miss February it won't surprise me, but it will only further erode the companies lacking credibility. There is a reason why Crackberry Kevin called 2011 "The year of broken promises" in the last podcast.
    Exactly... my comment about expected vs. scheduled vs. promise was sarcasm. Seriously i think the whole war about words used was silly and blatantly just apologetics. Imagine showing up to church on your wedding day and your betrothed is no where to be seen. Yea, he/she did say they would marry youon this day, but they never used the word "promise" so... anyway.

I want this OS 2 in February for sure... but based on what do I trust rim? Anyway we will see. Each brokenpromise from rim sends the stock down another X Amount of points. They cant afford to many more disappointments.
    01-10-12 10:20 AM
    Exactly... my comment about expected vs. scheduled vs. promise was sarcasm. Seriously i think the whole war about words used was silly and blatantly just apologetics. Imagine showing up to church on your wedding day and your betrothed is no where to be seen. Yea, he/she did say they would marry youon this day, but they never used the word "promise" so... anyway.

I want this OS 2 in February for sure... but based on what do I trust rim? Anyway we will see. Each brokenpromise from rim sends the stock down another X Amount of points. They cant afford to many more disappointments.
    Sorry about that I thought you were defending them like some people blindly do . Yep if they miss February then I think it would set a horrible start to 2012 after a miserable 2011 for them. They need to turn it around and managing expectations would be a good start.
    01-10-12 10:53 AM
    What is better, (1) Delay the release until they know the OS is ready, or, (2) Release it with bugs and send out updates?
    Assuming it's functional enough to demo, this time around it would be far better to do option 2 than 1. They simply have no choice but to release, and if some feature in it is not good enough, leave it out and release anyway. They plan more frequent updates after 2.0 anyway.

I think they know that, and will release "on time" (i.e. in Feb or within the first couple of days of March at the latest). I have no real worries left about that at this point.
    Last edited by peter9477; 01-11-12 at 12:32 AM. Reason: fix typo
    k1ward likes this.
    01-10-12 11:45 AM
    At this point... (2) Release it with bugs and send out updates

Edit: Read the article again and this is a blatant repost from another news source yesterday, exactly the same info word for word. In all though, nothing new when compared to the info we got yesterday.
    Last edited by dejanh; 01-10-12 at 12:10 PM.
    01-10-12 12:01 PM
    Assuming it's functional enough to demo, this time around it would be far better to do option 2 than 1. They simply have no choice but to release, and if some feature in it is not good enough, leave it out and release anyway. They plan more frequent updates after 2.0 anyway.

I think they know that, and will release "on time" (i.e. on Feb or within the first couple of days of March at the latest). I have no real worries left about that at this point.
    I agree, at this point they don't have a choice they have to launch os2; it may be a vanilla flavour update with only what is currently working and then have the frequent updates. The complainers will always complain regardless of what is released, RIM needs to satisfy the core believers in the Playbook
    01-10-12 12:11 PM
    Is bbm thru bridge going to remain half baked, or will we have access to bbm groups? -_-
    01-10-12 03:11 PM
    At this point... (2) Release it with bugs and send out updates

Edit: Read the article again and this is a blatant repost from another news source yesterday, exactly the same info word for word. In all though, nothing new when compared to the info we got yesterday.
    ya u can use the developer beta. no ones stopping you. . .
    01-10-12 11:16 PM
    What is better, (1) Delay the release until they know the OS is ready, or, (2) Release it with bugs and send out updates?
    or (3) They can just STFU and say nothing until it's really ready to be released.
    gschep likes this.
    01-10-12 11:30 PM
    In 2.0, because of the bigger cards used to switch between apps, is the number of apps allowed to be open at a time going to be reduced from 7?
    01-10-12 11:40 PM
    In 2.0, because of the bigger cards used to switch between apps, is the number of apps allowed to be open at a time going to be reduced from 7?
    The only limit on the number of apps open is available memory. Early on, when I got my PlayBook in May, I launched 13-14 apps simultaneously. Note that none of them were the browser.... it and some others are a bit piggish with memory, so if you have one or two such apps open you may think there's a limit.

So to answer: 2.0 will not change the "limit" because there is none, and because any limit you see has nothing to do with the UI and everything to do with RAM.
    01-10-12 11:48 PM
    Good news! And I like seeing RIM go on the record... I would think by now they only dare do so if they are confident about it after 2 years of snafus.
    You give the co-clowns too much credit for rational thought. As I have said before, if Research In Motion fails to deliver on every announced product and service come February 2012 the shareholders will be ready to boil the "Dollar a Year Boys" in oil. The demonstration at CES better not be another "we anticipate this functionality" charade.
    01-10-12 11:53 PM
    You give the co-clowns too much credit for rational thought. As I have said before, if Research In Motion fails to deliver on every announced product and service come February 2012 the shareholders will be ready to boil the "Dollar a Year Boys" in oil. The demonstration at CES better not be another "we anticipate this functionality" charade.
    And if they do deliver?
    01-11-12 12:05 AM
    You give your ideological value system too much credit.
    01-11-12 09:40 AM
    Anybody know if bbm groups are going to be included? if so i would basically have no reason to take my phone out of my pocket.
    01-11-12 09:44 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD