Once again, I tried used Picshot to edit a SPECIFIC photo. It was very gracious and took me to Photos where I had my choice of more than 1,000 photos to open. Darn, I'd like to search but what was its name? Open Photo app - oh, darn, that's right, photo app will show which album but does NOT provide the file's name. Open up a file manager, find that album folder, looks for the file and find its properties and make note of the 20 character name/number. Got back to where I started and open the Photos in Picshot. Now search for that 20 character filename. Yup, real powerful 21st Century tool (not toy!).

I want to open a pdf in a more useful pdf viewer. Again, presented with a list of 100 pdf files of every type and variety - manuals, ebooks, recipes, what-have-you..... yup, real helpful access organization.

Lame. Very lame.
    As I think I stated in an earlier post, there is often an easy way to do things and a hard way to do things. If you prefer the hard way, then that's on you. I'm specifically thinking about searching for that "20 character file name". The point is, you don't have to search for that 20 character file name in Pic shop or any other app that uses the native file browser (like messages). If the file you want to edit is named, say "IMG_00000243.jpg", (as the camera names its pics), you can search on that full name OR you can simply search on "0243" and you'll get a hit, maybe two if another pic has 0243 in its file name. I would assume that you could narrow it down from there if such is the case, and I also assume that remembering 4 characters is within your capability.

As to the PDF viewer, again, you don't have to open PDFs from within the PDF viewer. Organize your PDFs into sub-folders as you wish in your Documents folder, navigate to the document you want to open in any one of a number of available file browsers (Air, Files & Folders etc.) and open the PDF from there. I don't know about you, but I have Adobe Reader on my desktop PC and I never open PDFs from within the reader- I don't even keep a Reader icon on my desktop. I navigate to the document I want to open using Windows Explorer and open the PDF from there. Its no different on the PB.
    06-08-12 01:18 PM

As to the PDF viewer, again, you don't have to open PDFs from within the PDF viewer. Organize your PDFs into sub-folders as you wish in your Documents folder, navigate to the document you want to open in any one of a number of available file browsers (Air, Files & Folders etc.) and open the PDF from there. I don't know about you, but I have Adobe Reader on my desktop PC and I never open PDFs from within the reader- I don't even keep a Reader icon on my desktop. I navigate to the document I want to open using Windows Explorer and open the PDF from there. Its no different on the PB.
    In other words, download a third-party app (paid or free) and use that to navigate your files because RIM's native file manager is unable to recognize such advanced and futuristic concepts as folders. But this misses the criticism that is being raised.

For the record I use Smart Office 2 when viewing my files (pdf, doc, ppt, etc) as this app recognizes folder structure and, quite frankly, offers a much more robust PDF experience than the stock pdf app.

But isn't the real question: why should consumers have to go to a third party app in the first place? Shouldn't RIM have provided a File Manager app that was actually capable of recognizing folders? The fact that other apps, and developers, have recognized the importance of folders and *gasp* actually created apps that use them leaves me with only two conclusions: (i) either RIM rushed their File Manager app out and did not have time to making it feature rich; or (ii) RIM was lazy.

I'm not trying to argue with you as I do appreciate it your suggestions. And I would suspect that most people have found ways around the problem using other applications. But the fact of the matter is that we shouldn't have had to. Folder structures - a basic concept - should have been in the Playbook from the get go.
    06-08-12 01:40 PM
    Am I missing something? No matter which file browser I use (files & folders etc) if I navigate to a pdf file that way, I'm only seeing the option to open in Adobe. So even if I reorganize all my pdfs into folders, it's pointless to open them from a file browser unless I want to use Adobe? Try to use PDF Reader (which actually saves my place) and I get the endless list under Documents because my folders aren't recognized. Kinda defeats the purpose of reorganizing my pdfs I'm guessing.
    06-08-12 05:16 PM
    Perfect. So all I have to do is carry a computer around with me to organize my Playbook?
    Now that is convenient.
    Well, you need it to do backups, don't you? At that time do your re-organization. Smartarse.
    06-08-12 05:22 PM
    That's fantastic thank you. From now on I'll make sure that I pack my desktop with me whenever I go.
    Don't you do backups to DM? So don't try to be smartarse to make as if you do not need a computer. You do connect your PB to a computer more often than you think.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-08-12 at 05:26 PM.
    06-08-12 05:24 PM
    Am I missing something? No matter which file browser I use (files & folders etc) if I navigate to a pdf file that way, I'm only seeing the option to open in Adobe. So even if I reorganize all my pdfs into folders, it's pointless to open them from a file browser unless I want to use Adobe? Try to use PDF Reader (which actually saves my place) and I get the endless list under Documents because my folders aren't recognized. Kinda defeats the purpose of reorganizing my pdfs I'm guessing.
    Nope, you aren't missing a thing. Until RIM Fixes (hopefully) the file manager we are stuck with it being like this.
    06-08-12 05:27 PM
    Nope, you aren't missing a thing. Until RIM Fixes (hopefully) the file manager we are stuck with it being like this.
    Correct. Since we are stuck with Adobe, it will open with it. @Chrysalis1156 However, I do not have PDF Reader install. Is there no setting within it to force opening in PDF Reader?
    Here is a forum at Adobe for PB. http://forums.adobe.com/community/ad...orums/playbook
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-08-12 at 05:43 PM.
    06-08-12 05:35 PM
    Well, you need it to do backups, don't you? At that time do your re-organization. Smartarse.
    Organizing files with the pc doesn't help in the least. Mine are perfectly arranged into a very nice folder structure that I spent quite a bit of time working on, which is exactly the way they are stored on my pc. Open email, add attachment and every single file shows up under docs, vid, pics, etc. So are you suggesting I open up files and folders, find the exact pics I want to email, then open the email app, click attach, then search for the files one at a time? Seems like a lot of extra steps, a complete waste of time, and no where near as easy as any bb phone.

Yes, people were replying to you sarcastic because your connect to a pc answer was kind of silly and defeats the whole purpose of using the pb in the first place. The email and file manager are weak suck at best. I have 40gbs+ used up on my 64gb with mostly work photos and documents. On my pc it takes a few mouse clicks to find what I want, on my 9850 a few short cuts added to the file manager and I have what I want, on the pb.....
    Last edited by h20work; 06-08-12 at 05:51 PM.
    06-08-12 05:40 PM
    Correct. Since we are stuck with Adobe, it will open with it. However, I do not have PDF Reader install. Is there no setting within it to force opening in PDF Reader?
    Here is a forum at Adobe for PB. Adobe Forums: Forum: Adobe Reader for Playbook
    Nope, no options whatsoever. bbos let's you pick what app you want though, if I click the menu on a photo I can open it, send it, open with photo editor extreme, etc, etc.
    06-08-12 05:43 PM
    Organizing files with the people doesn't help in the least. Mine are perfectly arranged into a very nice folder structure that I spent quite a bit of time working on, which is exactly the way they are stored on my pc. Open email, add attachment and every single file shows up under docs, vid, pics, etc. So are you suggesting I open up files and folders, find the exact pics I want to email, then open the email app, click attach, then search for the files one at a time? Seems like a lot of extra steps, a complete waste of time, and no where near as easy as any bb phone.

Yes, people were replying to you sarcastic because your connect to a pc answer was kind of silly and defeats the whole purpose of using the pb in the first place. The email and file manager are weak suck at best. I have 40gbs+ used up on my 64gb with mostly work photos and documents. On my pc it takes a few mouse clicks to find what I want, on my 9850 a few short cuts added to the file manager and I have what I want, on the pb.....
    Well, until the OS bug is fixed or decent app developed, my suggestion is still the best alternative with what is available. Correct?

My pet peeve is with everybody wants it perfect and the easy way. If you cannot improve (develop) it yourself, then suggest a sollution or go to some other basic alternative, even if that is not the best. The OP wanted a way to create and organize his files and the best current alternative is to do it in DM, which I at least suggested.
    Still waiting for Haseleyman and Angus_CB suggestions to help OP instead of them ********.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-08-12 at 05:57 PM.
    06-08-12 05:47 PM
    Well, until the OS bug is fixed or decent app developed, my suggestion is still the best alternative with what is available. Correct?
    This is exactly why we are frustrated, and why the title of the thread is a plea to RIM to fix it!!!!
    06-08-12 05:50 PM
    This is exactly why we are frustrated, and why the title of the thread is a plea to RIM to fix it!!!!
    Agree 100% with you.
    06-08-12 05:57 PM
    Appreciate your response. I thought maybe I was missing a setting somewhere that would allow me to open it in PDF Reader darn it!
    06-08-12 05:59 PM

My pet peeve is with everybody wants it perfect and the easy way. If you cannot improve (develop) it yourself, then suggest a sollution or go to some other basic alternative, even if that is not the best. The OP wanted a way to create and organize his files and the best current alternative is to do it in DM, which I at least suggested.
    I really wonder sometimes when reading your posts whether you are the full deck. It's not an 'os bug', it's a fundamental flaw. You are the only person, who thinks, if indeed you actually understand the issue, that it is a minor inconvenience and that somehow it is OUR fault because we are complaining about it.
    06-08-12 06:04 PM

Still waiting for Haseleyman and Angus_CB suggestions to help OP instead of them ********.
    I get that you are trying to offer a work around, but you are missing the point. It does not matter if you take the time to organize your files, the pb apps don't care and will show you every file instead.
    06-08-12 06:33 PM
    Contrary to what an earlier poster said, yes, you're missing everything. The point is not which app you read your PDFs on, it's a matter of finding the PDFs you want to open. If you have a few hundred PDFs on your PB, to make them easier to find, you can create and put them in sub-folders, i.e. work, school, home, etc. This makes it easier to find them when you go looking for a particular document. However, if you open the PDF reader, the reader doesn't "see" your subfolders and just lumps all of your PDFs together, making the effort of organizing your PDFs into subfolders kind of pointless. However, if instead you open Files and Folders or another file browser, navigate to your documents folder, F & F will see your sub-folders, so you just open the appropriate sub-folder and launch the PDF from there. Thus there is no need to scroll through hundreds of PDFs to find what your looking for.

Further, there are a few android file browsers that will allow you to choose the app that you want to launch the file in, assuming you have multiple apps capable of launching it.
    06-08-12 06:49 PM
    I really wonder sometimes when reading your posts whether you are the full deck. It's not an 'os bug', it's a fundamental flaw. You are the only person, who thinks, if indeed you actually understand the issue, that it is a minor inconvenience and that somehow it is OUR fault because we are complaining about it.
    OS bug or flaw? What's the difference? Doesn't matter. It is a PROBLEM which RIM has to fix. Again, a smartarse comment from you. And your suggestion/solution for OP is?.....
    06-08-12 07:01 PM
    Contrary to what an earlier poster said, yes, you're missing everything. The point is not which app you read your PDFs on, it's a matter of finding the PDFs you want to open. If you have a few hundred PDFs on your PB, to make them easier to find, you can create and put them in sub-folders, i.e. work, school, home, etc. This makes it easier to find them when you go looking for a particular document. However, if you open the PDF reader, the reader doesn't "see" your subfolders and just lumps all of your PDFs together, making the effort of organizing your PDFs into subfolders kind of pointless. However, if instead you open Files and Folders or another file browser, navigate to your documents folder, F & F will see your sub-folders, so you just open the appropriate sub-folder and launch the PDF from there. Thus there is no need to scroll through hundreds of PDFs to find what your looking for.

Further, there are a few android file browsers that will allow you to choose the app that you want to launch the file in, assuming you have multiple apps capable of launching it.
    You missed everything.... PDF reader is an app, not the native adobe reader. No folder support, and neither air browser nor files&folders allow you to set it as the default.

Have you tried any of these work arounds before saying we are wrong?
    06-08-12 07:01 PM
    You missed everything.... PDF reader is an app, not the native adobe reader. No folder support, and neither air browser nor files&folders allow you to set it as the default.

Have you tried any of these work arounds before saying we are wrong?
    You're right, I should have said Adobe Reader, not PDF Reader. And while I don't know about PDF Reader, the stock Adobe Reader does not see sub-folders. Air Browser and F & F both do see sub-folders. So if you navigate to your organized sub-folders using Air or F & F, you can open the appropriate sub-folder, tap the file you want to open, then tap "Open". And yes, I do this all of the time. It just makes it easier to FIND your files once they've been organized into sub-folders.

And, as I said, if you use an android file browser, Ghost Commander for example, and navigate and to and try to open the file here, Ghost will give you the option of opening it with Adobe Reader or any other Android PDF readers that you may have on your PB. Hereare 2 examples- one for opening a PDF, the other for opening a video-
    Last edited by pacoman03; 06-08-12 at 07:33 PM.
    06-08-12 07:16 PM
    All I can say, I have organized all my videos, photos, Word and other files with folder structure in DM and with the paid app Files & Folders, I can easily find any file I want. The search function in F&F has so far find all my searches for a file.
    So unless some of the smartarses in this forum can suggest something better or prove me wrong, they can keep their mouths shut.
    As for big pdf files not keeping bookmark within Adobe, I have no solution for that. That's a bug - or is it a flaw?
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-08-12 at 07:33 PM.
    06-08-12 07:19 PM

I haven't missed anything. Organizing my pdfs into folders is great if I want to use Adobe Reader and only Adobe Reader which I don't and is what I said. I can't launch my pdfs in PDF Reader from Files and Folders and I don't want to use an Android app.
    06-08-12 09:04 PM
    All I can say, I have organized all my videos, photos, Word and other files with folder structure in DM and with the paid app Files & Folders, I can easily find any file I want. The search function in F&F has so far find all my searches for a file.
    So unless some of the smartarses in this forum can suggest something better or prove me wrong, they can keep their mouths shut.
    As for big pdf files not keeping bookmark within Adobe, I have no solution for that. That's a bug - or is it a flaw?
    You can find anything you want, and I don't think anyone is disputing that fact. You just can't always open it in the app of your choice. As long as I'm using Docs to Go and Adobe Reader I'm fine. The lack of bookmarking, annotating, and highlighting is a flaw - Adobe Reader is absolutely nothing more than a bare bones reader...you can read and nothing more.
    darmarat likes this.
    06-08-12 09:09 PM

Perhaps you should read the original post again. Your suggestion is not a solution to the problem.
    Literally, I wish RIM would allow for organizing document files on the Playbook. I would like to be able to create folders within the Documents App. I could then create folders and be able to separate work files from personal files and then sub-folders to organize files even further: "Work Files", "Work Powerpoint Presentations", "Work Memos", "Personal Documents", "Personal Finances", etc.

It's not very helpful to have just a list of everything inside the Documents App in order of when it was created.

The suggestion of using DM to create folders does nothing to help the OP. There are several apps that will allow us to create folders. This does not alleviate the problem with the native Document and Media apps displaying all files at once, no matter how many sub-folders are created. F2 reminded you of this after you posted the DM suggestion.
    I do create folders on the Playbook so I can find files when connected to a PC. It's easier to do it through the Playbook mapped network drive than through DM.
    As the OP has pointed out, only RIM can fix this problem.

I've reviewed the forum rules again. It appears that we can agree with the OP without actually supplying a resolution.
    h20work likes this.
    06-10-12 09:08 AM
    Perhaps you should read the original post again. Your suggestion is not a solution to the problem.

The suggestion of using DM to create folders does nothing to help the OP. There are several apps that will allow us to create folders. This does not alleviate the problem with the native Document and Media apps displaying all files at once, no matter how many sub-folders are created. F2 reminded you of this after you posted the DM suggestion.
    I do create folders on the Playbook so I can find files when connected to a PC. It's easier to do it through the Playbook mapped network drive than through DM.
    As the OP has pointed out, only RIM can fix this problem.

I've reviewed the forum rules again. It appears that we can agree with the OP without actually supplying a resolution.
    I did not said I solved his problem to "create folders in the Documents app"? My suggestion "is an alternative with what is available", being DM.
    I did said RIM has to fix the Documents app.
    At least better with what you suggested. Which was nothing, just sarcasm to my response which was suggesting a workaround. Do you have a better workaround?
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-10-12 at 12:40 PM.
    06-10-12 12:36 PM
    Yes. It's been suggested many times that there are several file management apps that can create folders and folders can also be created through the mapped network drive when the Playbook is connected to your PC.
    The OP isn't having a problem with creating folders in general. It's creating folders on the fly. The same way you can on your computer when you save a file. Also retrieving files from selected folders rather than seeing every file on the Playbook when you browse.
    As far as I know there is no work around for that.
    06-10-12 12:57 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD