Literally, I wish RIM would allow for organizing document files on the Playbook. I would like to be able to create folders within the Documents App. I could then create folders and be able to separate work files from personal files and then sub-folders to organize files even further: "Work Files", "Work Powerpoint Presentations", "Work Memos", "Personal Documents", "Personal Finances", etc.

It's not very helpful to have just a list of everything inside the Documents App in order of when it was created.

The same goes for the Photos App. Once I take pictures with my PlayBook, I'd like to drag them into folders to keep them organized. That way when I want to share photos with someone, I don't have to waste so much time scrolling through hundreds of photos to get to the one i'm looking for.

Also, the photo app has a search function, but i can't figure out how to name a photo taken with the playbook and i can't seem to figure out the default name the playbook gives each photo (i.e. 00053, 00054, etc.) any help in this area would be appreciated.
    Last edited by malanis5; 06-06-12 at 04:08 PM.
    FF22, Mr_Bunny, Rello and 8 others like this.
    06-06-12 04:04 PM
    It will or better be coming. Somewhere in there I posted a comment from the beta zone mod.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...equest-723362/
    Mr_Bunny and kennyliu like this.
    06-06-12 04:38 PM
    Rim's response: "Folders? What are folders? We don't need no stinkin' folders!"

It is absolutely appalling that we still have no hierarchy of folder access for the pb other than the ALBUM support in the photo app. But as you note, if you are even outside of the photo app, even the Album concept dissolves. I was trying two photo editing apps last night to try and rotate/fix a photo. Use the Open command and what happens - I now have over 1,000 photos to sort through to find the one I want. More appalling, I find it easily in the Photo app but that does not provide any access to the photo file's real name so I could at least search. No, now I have to find the photo, then go to a file manager, find the Properties (name), remember what Image Number it has and then go back to the photo editing app, Open and search for the file name - real simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

(in case you may not have detected, this is one of my greatest peeves about the pb!!!!!!!!!)
    06-06-12 04:39 PM

It is absolutely appalling that we still have no hierarchy of folder access for the pb other than the ALBUM support in the photo app. But as you note, if you are even outside of the photo app, even the Album concept dissolves. I was trying two photo editing apps last night to try and rotate/fix a photo. Use the Open command and what happens - I now have over 1,000 photos to sort through to find the one I want. More appalling, I find it easily in the Photo app but that does not provide any access to the photo file's real name so I could at least search. No, now I have to find the photo, then go to a file manager, find the Properties (name), remember what Image Number it has and then go back to the photo editing app, Open and search for the file name - real simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

(in case you may not have detected, this is one of my greatest peeves about the pb!!!!!!!!!)

Indeed. The fact that RIM have the gall to describe the PB as being 'professional grade' is an absolute joke and sadly the joke is on us. Does anybody actually have any evidence whatsoever that this critical functionality is on the way? No sign of it in the latest beta.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    06-06-12 04:54 PM
    Well it's not confirmation but if you bothered to look at the link I posted and my post quoting from the beta zone at least it is something.
    06-06-12 05:02 PM
    Well it's not confirmation but if you bothered to look at the link I posted and my post quoting from the beta zone at least it is something.
    Well, it would have helped had you been a little more specific as to where your quote actually featured (post 92 for those interested) but after having eventually found it, I think it's a pretty vague and nebulous response. At any rate it should be a priority for RIM to deal with this in 2.1 rather that wait for bb10, which is arriving for the PB, God knows when.
    sagec likes this.
    06-06-12 05:26 PM
    Sorry I had no clue where it was and didn't feel like looking. I was lucky to find the thread again

For others page 7 post 92.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-06-12 at 05:58 PM.
    06-06-12 05:50 PM
    Literally, I wish RIM would allow for organizing document files on the Playbook. I would like to be able to create folders within the Documents App. I could then create folders and be able to separate work files from personal files and then sub-folders to organize files even further: "Work Files", "Work Powerpoint Presentations", "Work Memos", "Personal Documents", "Personal Finances", etc.
    As to your original request for "help in this area", in point of fact you can organize your documents folder. All you need to do is download a few apps to do this. First, download a native file browser. Air Browser (free) or Files and Folders (paid) will work fine, and create sub-folders "Work Files", "Work Powerpoint Presentations", "Work Memos", "Personal Documents", "Personal Finances", etc., in your documents folder. Then transfer your documents into the appropriate sub-folders. Ghost Commander (free) is particularly good for doing this. Then, when you want to open a document, instead of opening Docs to Go or Adobe Reader, open one of your file browsers, navigate to the document, and open the document from within the file browser. All three of the browsers mentioned will let you do this, and Ghost Commander gives you the added flexibility of letting you choose from the native default app or any other android apps that are capable of opening the document.

Now, if you want to attach a document or pic to an email, the browser that appears when you click attach will not "see" the sub-folders you created, but at least it will let you search by name for a doc or pic. So if you first use one of the file browsers that I mentioned to navigate to the file you want to attach, you can get the name and then do a search. Thus, if you want to attach a pic named Pic000345.jpg, you can just search on 0325 and your pic should come up.

One caveat, avoid using Ghost Commander or any other android file browser to create sub-folders. While it is capable of doing this, you may run into problems with the playbook seeing files contained in these folders.
    06-06-12 07:51 PM
    Well, it would have helped had you been a little more specific as to where your quote actually featured (post 92 for those interested) but after having eventually found it, I think it's a pretty vague and nebulous response. At any rate it should be a priority for RIM to deal with this in 2.1 rather that wait for bb10, which is arriving for the PB, God knows when.
    Ah, come on, you've waited a year and two months, well, some of us have, what's another 6 to 8 months. That's just a week or two in rim time.
    06-06-12 07:51 PM

Mine also!!

How does Rim expect any COMPANY to roll the Playbook out to their employees without the ability to organize files into sub folders, rename files, add subfolders, etc. We were ready to hand these out to all our small job foreman until we realized that this was not possible. Why put a tablet into the field if it does not save time? Our employees expect to be able to go to their files and find them instantly without having to search through hundreds of files to find what they are looking for. where is the time savings?
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    06-06-12 08:23 PM
    No offense intended, but this "advanced feature" was requested literally at the moment the Playbook was launched. Heck, within an hour of people getting the device, there were question as to how to access the folder structure after individuals put hundreds of photos on their devices.

RIM's response was nothing more than vague assurances that they are working on it; cryptic responses; and other double-speak so that consumers couldn't actually get a straight answer nor be able to hold them accountable for their lack of response to rectifying this issue.

For this one issue, RIM should be ashamed; quite frankly, it is embarrassing that this issue is still ongoing.

Now where's my $22.00 Speak and Say Device - that has folders in it
    06-06-12 08:40 PM
    Sad that bbos kills the pb in functionality. The best part? Bridge is part of bbos, not so much the other way around. Bb10 better address this or it will be truly sad...
    06-06-12 08:48 PM

It's not very helpful to have just a list of everything inside the Documents App in order of when it was created.

The same goes for the Photos App. Once I take pictures with my PlayBook, I'd like to drag them into folders to keep them organized. That way when I want to share photos with someone, I don't have to waste so much time scrolling through hundreds of photos to get to the one i'm looking for.

Also, the photo app has a search function, but i can't figure out how to name a photo taken with the playbook and i can't seem to figure out the default name the playbook gives each photo (i.e. 00053, 00054, etc.) any help in this area would be appreciated.
    Same goes for the native Files Manager. It doesn't have any sorting or organization.

These can be done using 3d party file managers, but the trick is you are forced to use the native File Manager if you want to attach files to an email.

So RIM has three options:
    1) Make the native File Manager functional (its functionality now is a joke).
    2) Allow the messages app to use a third party file manager app (I don't know how this can be done though)
    3) Allow/encourage third party messaging solutions (at least to use when you need to send files quickly).

Of course, #3 above is impossible without background services. Who would want an email app that doesn't notify you?
    bbfan1040 and sagec like this.
    06-06-12 08:51 PM

Actually, that's not just RIM's attitude. I've read so many posts like:

"BBs are tools, not toys, we don't want no stinkin' [fill in the blank]"

(where the blank is Skype, file management, background services, basic browser functions, basic PDF functionality; you name it).

And it becomes more and more apparent to me that many people here in this forum have not even tried different platforms and don't really realize that those features that people want are standard on all other platforms.

Here is an example from a different thread

OP: "WOW, first firewall and now a built in call blocker? I just had a look at parental contol and I just noticed this, BB now has a built in call blocker."

Poster: "I always like how my coworkers think BB is basically a feature phone with email. Then I tell them I'm doing something quite advanced on my BB. I think they don't believe me. Of course, most of my coworkers are mo-diddly-doerons"

Call blocking = quite advanced?

I used to use call blocking on my Nokia phones ten years ago. Android has had this feature built-in (of course better implemented with user specified lists and text message responses) for as long as I remember.

The moral of the story is that BB software is missing so many basic features and RIM must start listening to people instead of relying on the brand loyalists to stay afloat.
    bbfan1040, brianatbb and sagec like this.
    06-06-12 09:07 PM
    Maybe one of you genius' ought to buy File and Folders. I think it would solve most of your problems. If 2.99 is too much there are a couple of freebies that might be in your price range. As to PDFs, I don't have problems with the native app working. I read about 10 a day on my playbook and have never run into a problem. There are a couple of good PDF apps that allow you to cut and paste and make notes. Again it might cost you 3 bucks but I'm pretty sure that is going to be way out of your price range. Anyways, your break is up and you to start cleaning the bathrooms. Time is a wasting.
    johnnyv_nl likes this.
    06-06-12 10:37 PM
    [/b] ;7442440]Maybe one of you genius' ought to buy File and Folders. I think it would solve most of your problems. If 2.99 is too much there are a couple of freebies that might be in your price range. As to PDFs, I don't have problems with the native app working. I read about 10 a day on my playbook and have never run into a problem. There are a couple of good PDF apps that allow you to cut and paste and make notes. Again it might cost you 3 bucks but I'm pretty sure that is going to be way out of your price range. Anyways, your break is up and you to start cleaning the bathrooms. Time is a wasting.

Thanks for your valuable input. As always

If you knew how to read you'd probably realize that you can't use Files and Folders (which I have) while attaching files to a message. But I guess reading people's comments before responding would be too much to ask of you.

Also, please do tell us which PB native PDF app is at least half as good as the native Adobe Reader apps do on all other platforms, and I'll spare much more than $3 bucks. Alas, all I've seen is significantly subpar to Android/iOS Adobe Reader both in quality and/or functionality. Yeah, do tell us which PDF apps can "cut and paste"

And no, the native PDF *VIEWER* app is not OK by any measure. It's just a viewer good enough for those who only view/read 10 PDF files.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-07-12 at 12:02 PM.
    brianatbb likes this.
    06-06-12 11:05 PM
    Once again, I tried used Picshot to edit a SPECIFIC photo. It was very gracious and took me to Photos where I had my choice of more than 1,000 photos to open. Darn, I'd like to search but what was its name? Open Photo app - oh, darn, that's right, photo app will show which album but does NOT provide the file's name. Open up a file manager, find that album folder, looks for the file and find its properties and make note of the 20 character name/number. Got back to where I started and open the Photos in Picshot. Now search for that 20 character filename. Yup, real powerful 21st Century tool (not toy!).

I want to open a pdf in a more useful pdf viewer. Again, presented with a list of 100 pdf files of every type and variety - manuals, ebooks, recipes, what-have-you..... yup, real helpful access organization.

Lame. Very lame.
    brianatbb likes this.
    06-07-12 12:22 AM
    But the fanboys tell us it's the best tablet on the market. I'm confused.
    06-07-12 08:12 AM
    STOP THE PRESSES!
    What the h*ll are you all complaining about? Yes, file management on the PB can probably be improved a little, but have you not heard of or used the Desktop Manager!!
    That is where I goes bananas in moving, copying, pasting, creating, renaming, etc. with any document/file, being it a photo, Word, Excel of video. Works like a charm.
    What's wrong? Do you all want to do eveything through an APP like Apple-idiots? I cannot even rename a file in iTunes, you need to sync everything.
    There, my rant is over, but I hoped I helped eased the frustation.
    06-07-12 08:57 AM
    STOP THE PRESSES!
    What the h*ll are you all complaining about? Yes, file management on the PB can probably be improved a little, but have you not heard of or used the Desktop Manager!!
    That is where I goes bananas in moving, copying, pasting, creating, renaming, etc. with any document/file, being it a photo, Word, Excel of video. Works like a charm.
    What's wrong? Do you all want to do eveything through an APP like Apple-idiots? I cannot even rename a file in iTunes, you need to sync everything.
    That's fantastic thank you. From now on I'll make sure that I pack my desktop with me whenever I go.
    rcm1301, Darlaten and kennyliu like this.
    06-07-12 09:05 AM
    Okay, let me clarify - I can create all the folders I want on the pb using either the Desktop over wifi or usb. I can also use Files/Folders and other FileManagers to do it. It is that having those folders does not help one bit when using the pb. Almost NO apps support the concept of folders. Rather they present all of the files in one huge list and ignore those folders. So, as noted above, if I attempt to open a file for processing, I am presented with a huge list of files (docs, or pdfs or photos) with no distinction about where that file resides in subfolders. Desktop Manager nor any other tool can help me sift through all of the files on my pb when I want to attach one or two specific files to an email.
    06-07-12 09:17 AM
    Okay, let me clarify - I can create all the folders I want on the pb using either the Desktop over wifi or usb. I can also use Files/Folders and other FileManagers to do it. It is that having those folders does not help one bit when using the pb. Almost NO apps support the concept of folders. Rather they present all of the files in one huge list and ignore those folders. So, as noted above, if I attempt to open a file for processing, I am presented with a huge list of files (docs, or pdfs or photos) with no distinction about where that file resides in subfolders. Desktop Manager nor any other tool can help me sift through all of the files on my pb when I want to attach one or two specific files to an email.
    Agree, but is that an APP or OS shortcoming?
    06-07-12 09:22 AM
    It's the native file manager and the apps since the os does support folder structures.
    06-07-12 09:33 AM
    RIM definitely needs to address this issue. Scrolling thru a bunch of files looking for the right one is very time consuming and frustrating. I love my pb but this is one of my main gripes as well.
    06-07-12 11:56 AM
    STOP THE PRESSES!
    Perfect. So all I have to do is carry a computer around with me to organize my Playbook?
    Now that is convenient.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-08-12 05:12 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD