I just got the Mini Keyboard for the PlayBook from the Source and think it's great, but haven't found a lot of info in the forums about it like I thought I would. I thought this might be a good opportunity to create a Tips/Tricks/Wishes topic to address some questions and concerns people have with the keyboard that may hopefully be answered or solved with future updates.

A couple questions for Keyboard users from a new buyer:
    - is there an easy way to Copy/Paste? I've tried right-clicking on an area but it only selects one word and there doesn't seem to be a way to expand the selection. Maybe I'm missing something?
    - is there a keyboard shortcut to switch between apps (ALT-TAB kind of thing)?

Wishes
    - more gestures on the trackpad (like swiping to switch between apps instead of having to go to the side to click the edge); same goes for swiping down for options and up to close
    - customizable settings to change sensitivity and create shortcuts
    - function in all apps (doesn't work with some games - same as Bridge Remote)

Post any answers to these questions you may have and any more wishes you have for the future. Maybe RIM will take notice and make this even better!
    BBplaybookJS likes this.
    05-23-12 02:43 PM
    I have two keyboards for my and my wife's PB, and I use mine quite a lot (including now). I've found its a different typing experience than the virtual keyboard, I recently figured out that the Predictive Text function does not work with the mini-keyboard connected. Basic spell check and typing assistance do not work either. So now I use my mini keyboard for some tasks, and the virtual for others.
    For Select text, touch the word/phrase you want, and touch it again. You'll get two blue arrows to highlight the letters/words. Select from there and cut or copy.
    For more help, download the mini keyboard user guide and have a read.
    05-23-12 03:47 PM
    Thanks for this, there doesn't seem to be very much information at all out there regarding functions of the Mini Keyboard (I even had trouble figuring out how to turn it on when I first got it.)

I have to say so far I am very pleased. Other than the occasional laginess it works great. I don't have much to add to the conversation but would like to see this thread as a sticky as I hope to come back regularly to check on new tips and tricks.

I intend to try recording the minutes of my next union meeting with this rather than my laptop, something I resisted before due to my weakness with the virtual keyboard.
    05-23-12 05:14 PM
    I wish it supported language specific characters more. There are some letters it doesn't support at all. I also wish it wasn't that complicated to type lets say "�" (alt+'+a).
    I hope RIM will improve the Mini Keyboard somehow, sooner or later.
    05-23-12 05:30 PM
    You can do the swipe to switch between apps by using the tap-tap-hold gesture.
    Basicially, you do a double tap but don't lift your finger after the second tap. Wait for 1/2 a second and then swipe.
    It takes a lot of trial and error to get the timing right to make it work.
    mszbzltn and Vorkosigan like this.
    05-23-12 05:45 PM
    My biggest problem is the mini keyboard seemingly freezing up and not working in particular apps (especially Citrix). What I find is that there seems to be some interference between the Bridge remote control and the mini keyboard. Once I disconnected Bridge, everything was working fine on the mini keyboard....
    05-23-12 07:47 PM
    There may be some interference between the mini keyboard and BB Bridge Remote... only because the two use the same Bluetooth drivers to function. Maybe make sure that bridge remote is fully closed (but you should be able to keep bridge connected for email and BBM and such).

I don't have the mini keyboard yet... unfortunately because the PB doesn't yet have basic accessibility features, the keyboard is a moot accessory. Looking forward to OS 2.1 or BB10 when these features finally make the cut for RIM. Then, I will buy this keyboard.
    05-23-12 08:53 PM
    The mini keyboard uses a lot of the same shortcuts that a regular keyboard uses - e.g. Ctrl+C is copy, ctrl+V is paste

To select words is similar to a bb phone - hold down the caps key and use the arrow keys to select the word(s). If selecting all the text you can use ctrl+A

Now I find it much easier to use the keyboard than the virtual one.

1 thing I wish for though would be spell check to work with the keyboard. It will underline a word if you type it wrong - but it doesn't offer any corrections and you have to go back and erase the word and try again.
    05-23-12 09:14 PM
    I have had the mini keyboard for around a week now and have picked up on a few bugs and started to add a functionality wish list. With regards to bugs, I find that now and again the cursor will move to a different line without me knowing so half a sentence will get typed in between a sentence that has already been typed. When this happens I'm not hitting the track pad by mistake. In fact these seems to happen quite a lot and I find it infuriating.

Typing some of the additional symbols does no work, If I try and type a Pound sign by pressing alt+L+- it doesn't work I just get 'l-'. The RIM manual has these keystrokes under the 'Documents To Go' section so I thought they may only be supported in these apps, but I can't get a pound sign to work there either.

I find the T button sometimes doesn't register or will register twice tt.

I wish I could assign a different currency symbol to he 4/$ key like I can on my BlackBerry handset.

I wish I could use he tab key to move to the next text field in the browser like I can on a desktop/laptop.

I will continue to add to this list as I find more things I would like to see fixed/added to the mini keyboard with the hope someone from RIM might read some of this. Also if any of you guys have come across any of these please let me know so I know it isn't just me.
    01-25-13 11:43 AM
    While I love the keyboard, I find the case atrocious.

This may be blasphemous to some but I modded the convertible case by getting rid of the heavy plastic part that would normally surround the playbook. Got rid of the middle spine part but sewed the two remaining pieces to a stretchy band material to allow flip open access to the keyboard. Also modded my i-CON carbon fiber case with some small clips and couldn't be happier.

The benefits of the sleek/light carbon fiber case with of the keyboard when I do work. Can't beat that.
    01-25-13 03:16 PM
    I intend to try recording the minutes of my next union meeting with this rather than my laptop, something I resisted before due to my weakness with the virtual keyboard.
    You could record the union meeting as well in case you need to fill in additional details to the minutes. Of course the legality of recording is jurisdiction-dependent.

From my own experience the BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard transforms the BlackBerry PlayBook into an excellent research and writing companion much lighter and easier to carry than a notebook computer or even a netbook computer.
    01-25-13 10:26 PM
    I wish it supported language specific characters more. There are some letters it doesn't support at all. I also wish it wasn't that complicated to type lets say "�" (alt+'+a).
    I hope RIM will improve the Mini Keyboard somehow, sooner or later.
    At the very least the BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard should allow accented characters via ALT+three-digits like most desktop and notebook computers running most modern operating systems have permitted for years. Although your idea is easier to remember. The TAB key is an other sore spot because instead of inserting 4 or 8 space characters into the current edit field it causes the cursor to move out of the current edit field.
    01-25-13 10:30 PM
    While I love the keyboard, I find the case atrocious.

This may be blasphemous to some but I modded the convertible case by getting rid of the heavy plastic part that would normally surround the playbook. Got rid of the middle spine part but sewed the two remaining pieces to a stretchy band material to allow flip open access to the keyboard. Also modded my i-CON carbon fiber case with some small clips and couldn't be happier.
    Honestly, the BlackBerry Convertible Case makes the BlackBerry PlayBook look like a book instead of a tablet; very covert when carrying it out and about or storing it on a bookshelf. The only change I would make to the case shipping with the BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard is to use the same rigid rubber frame to hold the keyboard instead of the flimsy elastic straps.
    01-25-13 10:39 PM
    I have had the mini keyboard for around a week now and have picked up on a few bugs and started to add a functionality wish list. With regards to bugs, I find that now and again the cursor will move to a different line without me knowing so half a sentence will get typed in between a sentence that has already been typed. When this happens I'm not hitting the track pad by mistake. In fact these seems to happen quite a lot and I find it infuriating.

Typing some of the additional symbols does no work, If I try and type a Pound sign by pressing alt+L+- it doesn't work I just get 'l-'. The RIM manual has these keystrokes under the 'Documents To Go' section so I thought they may only be supported in these apps, but I can't get a pound sign to work there either.

I find the T button sometimes doesn't register or will register twice tt.

I wish I could assign a different currency symbol to he 4/$ key like I can on my BlackBerry handset.

I wish I could use he tab key to move to the next text field in the browser like I can on a desktop/laptop.

I will continue to add to this list as I find more things I would like to see fixed/added to the mini keyboard with the hope someone from RIM might read some of this. Also if any of you guys have come across any of these please let me know so I know it isn't just me.
    I had problems with the cursor jumping but found it got less the more I used it. The trackpad is very sensitive and I concluded that I was in fact brushing it without realizing it.

I haven't experienced problems with my T key.

I do wish the tab key worked in more areas.

I can't speak to your other issues as I'm in Canada and use the standard (for us) $ sign.

Overall I find the keyboard has greatly added to my productivity with my pb.
    01-26-13 08:02 AM
    Honestly, the BlackBerry Convertible Case makes the BlackBerry PlayBook look like a book instead of a tablet; very covert when carrying it out and about or storing it on a bookshelf. The only change I would make to the case shipping with the BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard is to use the same rigid rubber frame to hold the keyboard instead of the flimsy elastic straps.
    I actually like the fact that I can easily remove the keyboard. When I'm in training sessions at work I can't always get a spot at a table so I will take out the keyboard and just prop the playbook off to a side table in the case and then use the keyboard on my knees. Works very well and I can leave the full table spots for the people who cart in their laptops.
    01-26-13 08:05 AM
    Let me start by saying ....I LIKE the OEM PlayBook Mini Bluetooth Keyboard + Case, it works for ME. The design of the case itself is VERY NICE (wish it was REAL leather), as well as the bluetooth mini keyboard.....IMO. What I try to do is adapt to the product(s) that I buy and also understand that needs of the MANY out weigh the needs of the FEW. I have on occasion modified products that I purchased and it is never as good as the original (i try to fool myself into thinking it does). I guess I'm not that handy as some . I also find that doing RESEARCH helps me in my buying decisions as I have a pretty good idea about the products I'm purchasing and what they can and cannot do.
    01-26-13 08:29 AM
    Do you have a picture of how you Modded your case with the clips for the keyboard?
    02-17-13 03:22 PM
    I just got my keyboard the other day and got it charged and hooked up and so far love it. Just need more tips and tricks from other users
    02-17-13 03:27 PM
    You can do the swipe to switch between apps by using the tap-tap-hold gesture.
    Basicially, you do a double tap but don't lift your finger after the second tap. Wait for 1/2 a second and then swipe.
    It takes a lot of trial and error to get the timing right to make it work.
    I know this is a bit late to the quoting game but I was just trying to use the minikey board to play Words W/Friends. I'm trying to move letters to the board but I'm pretty much failing miserably. I now notice that the double-tap/hold and drag kind of works. Well, it starts but there does not seem to be a way to move letters a longer distance without losing my "grip" on them. A "broken" scroll releases them and they fall back to the rack.

Hints or ideas on how to move letters/stuff around, if possible.
    02-17-13 04:13 PM
    I know this is a bit late to the quoting game but I was just trying to use the minikey board to play Words W/Friends. I'm trying to move letters to the board but I'm pretty much failing miserably. I now notice that the double-tap/hold and drag kind of works. Well, it starts but there does not seem to be a way to move letters a longer distance without losing my "grip" on them. A "broken" scroll releases them and they fall back to the rack.

Hints or ideas on how to move letters/stuff around, if possible.
    That's a limitation of the touchpad on the keyboard. Your only option other than using the screen is a bluetooth mouse (which works great!)
    FF22 likes this.
    02-17-13 08:36 PM
    That's a limitation of the touchpad on the keyboard. Your only option other than using the screen is a bluetooth mouse (which works great!)
    I found I can sought of stagger across the playing board. Move a square or two. Land somewhere, try again and again. Not very efficient. Placing 4 or 5 letters could take a day.
    02-17-13 09:38 PM
    a good place to start w/ any MKB moves...

BlackBerry Mini Keyboard Review | CrackBerry.com
    05-01-13 06:53 AM
    Has there ever been word if the Rim OFFICIAL keyboard is still being produced or has it been discontinued? With Thor's recent pb/tablet type comments, I would think it is GONE. Maybe to be replaced at some time with a better approach to HIS IDEA of a mobile environment.

This is a question our leaders here at CB should be directing at Thor or Rim. All of these UNanswered questions are ridiculous. Why is the existence of a keyboard top secret???????????????
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    05-01-13 09:00 AM
    Does anyone know where you can buy a keyboard from? Looked everywhere and can't find anything? Even on c rack berry?

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 09:12 AM
    Has there ever been word if the Rim OFFICIAL keyboard is still being produced or has it been discontinued? With Thor's recent pb/tablet type comments, I would think it is GONE. Maybe to be replaced at some time with a better approach to HIS IDEA of a mobile environment.

This is a question our leaders here at CB should be directing at Thor or Rim. All of these UNanswered questions are ridiculous. Why is the existence of a keyboard top secret???????????????
    so many questions, so few answers,,, about this & everything else,,, it could be they don't want to ruffle the feathers & lose access,,, i seriously doubt they're working on anything that's not already out there or being worked on elsewhere,,, playing things too close to the vest it only hurting them,,, no answers just puts people on the fast track to another platform...
    FF22 likes this.
    05-01-13 10:58 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD