RIM BlackBerry PlayBook: Unfinished, unusable

Without a doubt, this is the harshest PB review I have read, and I have read quite a lot of them. Here is a sample:

At the core of it all, the design of the PlayBook as a BlackBerry-dependent device was simply a boneheaded decision by executives who hoped a hit product might entice more BlackBerry sales. Hint: You need to actually deliver a hit product for that strategy to work. The iPad has been around for a year, so the benchmark for a hit tablet was not exactly a mystery.

In the six months since RIM announced the PlayBook, observers like me have raised concerns and questions. RIM executives basically said their customers like the direction RIM had for the PlayBook and naysayers would see the truth when the product launched. If RIM's customers really liked what they saw, then they deserve what they got.

But I doubt that RIM actually listened to customers or outsiders -- the train wreck is just too complete for there to have been anything other than heads deeply buried in sand. Still, it's one thing to see an impending train wreck and fret. It's another to view the aftermath -- it's a lot worse than I could have imagined, and it feels awful to look at it.

Why RIM chose to ship the PlayBook in such a state is unfathomable. The iPad 2 and Xoom have been out for weeks, so there's no heading them off at the pass. Instead, the PlayBook debuted with all eyes on it -- but instead of a world-class performer, we got the homeless guy who plays air guitar in front of the mall.
    You may not like the reviewer or the review, but these kinds of opinions are more the rule rather than the exception in the tech media. Pundits like Leo Laporte and Tom Merritt, who both preordered the device, have had their disappointments aired publicly as well. Leo just outright admitted he wasted $500. Tom has said more with his silence than with overt statements, though I am waiting for him to speak out more definitively. Like it or not, this stuff matters.
    04-25-11 10:20 AM
    remember, if its a review that says the Playbook isn't the best, it must be the media bias for Apple.

All of the media loves apple and hates RIM. RIM has better products, but Apple is better at marketing...Blah blah blah
    04-25-11 10:24 AM
    All reviewers are biased against RIM.They don't care about anything but bashing the PlayBook. As the unbiased commenters here at "crackberry.com" can attest, ANY criticism of RIM is unfounded, and any reviewer that fails to point out the PlayBook's positive features (such as the fact that it comes out of the box easily and without a scratch, and that the battery reliably recharges) is sucking at the teet of Jobs.

Or, maybe they're just right. You decide.
    Perspective1.

Get off these forums. No one cares about any of your posts. We get it, you love Steve Jobs. We don't. We don't care about Apple, or what you think of the PB. We understand that you don't like anything about the PB or anything about RIM. So just leave these forums.

answer this

why are you here? is your life that boring that you have to come over here just to justify your purchases of apple products?

i have to say out of all the fanboys apple has the most immature
    you dont see android or windows7 fans here ******** about how much our choice sucks

do you see legions of bb fans on apple sites saying your os sucks and how much steve jobs is laughing to the bank cause you idiots will buy anything he puts out with the apple logo on it. no

so in summery either add something useful or go back and continue stroking steve jobs well ego i am sick and tired of reading a good thread and then you idiots ruining it with your constant whining
    jessi449, bacon.jay, buwee and 8 others like this.
    04-25-11 10:28 AM
    All devices on release are unfinished.
    Apple: zero apps, iphones couldn't MMS (!!!!!)
    Motorola Xoom: 11 apps, crashed and is buggy. Motorola cutting back production.

Unusable? Mine is very useful. No problems.

Troll attempt: total failure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jessi449 likes this.
    04-25-11 10:35 AM
    All devices on release are unfinished.
    Apple: zero apps, iphones couldn't MMS (!!!!!)
    Motorola Xoom: 11 apps, crashed and is buggy. Motorola cutting back production.

Unusable? Mine is very useful. No problems.

Troll attempt: total failure.

don't forget you couldn't change the wallpaper for a while too!
    04-25-11 10:37 AM
    Personally I think RIM should have pushed the launch back 30 days busted tail and got native PIM support on this at release. People here probably would have moaned and groaned but the flack that RIM is taking now will have some sort backlash on future sales and developers may not fully embrace it IMO.

I think RIM should have also had a few native apps ready at release. They should have looked at the popular BB downloads. Got a NDA and the SDK out to a few of those guys and had some native apps ready. It would be different if you could some how ran BB apps even if they weren't optimized it would tide some people over.

Also what's going on with AT&T is going to hurt. The simple home consumer will use the work around but the Corp level guys aren't going to allow a hacked version of bridge on the network. They'll wait for the official AT&T release and probably will pay for the feature. This may or may not cause some IT depts to rethink their BB/PB usage.

I came close in talking myself into buying a PB but decided at this point it wouldn't serve my needs. I've decided to wait till June. This gives RIM time to put out somethings, if not I'll probably go with the Samsung 8.9 tablet that will be released in June as Android already has some of the tools I'd like to use for work available now.

I also wish RIM had waited on mentioning the Android stuff and pushed their OS software rather than piggy backing off another OS apps

The PB has some great hardware and the UI is nice but from playing with it has a few quirks but that is to be expected from a new OS but it does feel like it's not quiet complete.

Time will tell
    slbailey1 likes this.
    04-25-11 10:47 AM
    remember, if its a review that says the Playbook isn't the best, it must be the media bias for Apple.

All of the media loves apple and hates RIM. RIM has better products, but Apple is better at marketing...Blah blah blah
    LOL, so if a review says that PB isn't the best, it's not a valid review?
    04-25-11 10:48 AM
    From my experience with Playbook and the iPad2. I have to say, the iPad2 is currently a better 'overall' experience because it has had a year to mature, and iOS has had 4 years to mature. However, every thing that the Playbook can do in its current form---it does a lot better than the iPad2 does. (namely consumption of media - playing/streaming video, surfing the internet, multitasking, music, etc.) When the software has matured, the features are complete, and apps are in place, I imagine it will beat the iPad2 in every metric. By summer time we should be seeing more robust 1.1, as I said the current form of OS is great for 1.0 and does best what it does.
    bdad14 likes this.
    04-25-11 10:58 AM
    "When the software has matured, the features are complete, and apps are in place,"

Problem is, all of those things happening in a timely manner are not a foregone conclusion. RIM's track record on any one of those points is shoddy to say the least.
    04-25-11 11:04 AM
    unusable? so me sitting here, in the airport, surfing the web, reading the BS trolling, full web experience, multitasking is unusable?

how does someone so clearly off base get credible air time.

better yet, why do people give a crap what some limp weiner gas bag has to say about their playbook when you know you like it. i don't need some apple munching blow hard to tell me i chose right or wrong, when i know i bought something i like. are people so insecure that they need someone else to tell them what device they should think is best for them?
    Last edited by ericdude; 04-25-11 at 11:09 AM.
    bdad14 likes this.
    04-25-11 11:06 AM
    Some of those reviews are suprisingly shortsighted for tech "critics". They don't bring up the positive things about this tablet like the OS, UI, full web browsing with flash, solid browsing speeds, portability, etc.

Instead I hear the BB Bridge is a terrible idea, even though it was announced months ago, rather than how or if it works? Or acknowledging the fact that with over 60 million BB users, there might be many, such as myself that buy it for that very reason. Not a helpful review from many. I will say the Bridge does not work well in Bridge Browsing, but works well in everything else.

Next, harping on native email on a WiFi device? Hello... you guys do realize if you leave a WiFi area, your email would be inaccessible on any WiFi only Tablet? They are suggesting and even spreading outright disinformation that you cannot access email without a BB. Simply not true, you just go to the browser or site where you email is, just like on a laptop/desktop. Its nitpicking really.

The power button? I luv it, you have to press it down all the way and hear a click. Why do I feel thats good? You can hold this tab with one hand, so when gripping it, you might accidentally turn it on/off when you didn't intend to. By making it require a full press, it minimizes that from ever happening. Good design, not a flaw.

I am not saying the PB is perfect, but I have read some really scathing reviews that scream Apple fanboyism from many sites. After buying and trying it, I will agree the software needs fine tuning, Bridge browsing needs an overhaul/fix, and RIM has to work out issues with bridge with the carriers. Overall though, its still the best 7'' tablet out there right now even with its flaws and can only get better...
    04-25-11 11:07 AM
    LOL, so if a review says that PB isn't the best, it's not a valid review?
    Seriously....people here call those reviewers biased and even being paid by Apple? That is ignorance beyond all definition.

"When the software has matured, the features are complete, and apps are in place,"

Problem is, all of those things happening in a timely manner are not a foregone conclusion. RIM's track record on any one of those points is shoddy to say the least.
    Absolutely. There is no guarantee of anything. And by the time something is released, a new and possibly more polished competing product will be out. Some people are oblivious to both the speed of technology lately....and the speed of RIM.
    Last edited by stevelord; 04-25-11 at 11:24 AM.
    04-25-11 11:19 AM
    unusable? so me sitting here, in the airport, surfing the web, reading the BS trolling, full web experience, multitasking is unusable?

how does someone so clearly off base get credible air time.

better yet, why do people give a crap what some limp weiner gas bag has to say about their playbook when you know you like it. i don't need some apple munching blow hard to tell me i chose right or wrong, when i know i bought something i like. are people so insecure that they need someone else to tell them what device they should think is best for them?
    That about sums the whole thing up. You bought it, you like/love it. That's all that should matter. It's not like this thing is your mom or kid.
    04-25-11 11:21 AM
    Perspective1.

Get off these forums. No one cares about any of your posts. We get it, you love Steve Jobs. We don't. We don't care about Apple, or what you think of the PB. We understand that you don't like anything about the PB or anything about RIM. So just leave these forums.
    If you are reduced to telling those you disagree with to go away, you have already lost the arguement. It's the internet equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears/head in the sand.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    04-25-11 11:24 AM
    Next, harping on native email on a WiFi device? Hello... you guys do realize if you leave a WiFi area, your email would be inaccessible on any WiFi only Tablet? They are suggesting and even spreading outright disinformation that you cannot access email without a BB. Simply not true, you just go to the browser or site where you email is, just like on a laptop/desktop. Its nitpicking really.
    Your email may be inaccessible when you leave wifi but if there was a native app on the PB you could respond back to emails offline or review emails. Would you rather use the bridge email interface or web base interface? The native is designed with the screen size in mind and also made for ease of use.

I'm anxious to see the native support myself
    Last edited by Daps; 04-25-11 at 11:27 AM.
    04-25-11 11:25 AM
    If you are reduced to telling those you disagree with to go away, you have already lost the arguement. It's the internet equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears/head in the sand.
    I'm not saying it because I disagree with him, I said it because he's been going into almost every PB thread, and posting negative things about it. That's all I've seen him do. What's the point in that? There is none. What do his posts contribute to the topic? Nothing.
    04-25-11 11:30 AM
    To be fair when Apple released a 4th generation 600.00 phone that required you to FIRST wrap it with a rubber band in order to make phone calls, the press was VERY unforgiving. Mostly.

04-25-11 11:35 AM
    it's just not fair!

lol!!!
    04-25-11 11:40 AM
    Pundits like Leo Laporte and Tom Merritt, who both preordered the device, have had their disappointments aired publicly as well. Leo just outright admitted he wasted $500. Tom has said more with his silence than with overt statements, though I am waiting for him to speak out more definitively. Like it or not, this stuff matters.
    Where did Leo Laporte say this?

04-25-11 11:45 AM
    OK that was pretty funny. The PB eyes in the next to last frame was LOL

What's the deal with Mike and it's not fair? Did he actually say that or something? I saw someone else mention it and thought they were just trying to be funny.....
    04-25-11 11:48 AM
    I am not going to say RIM did everything right with the PB, they did miss a few things at launch (yes, yes flame away). But the bottom line is RIM took a different approach in the fundamental design and functionality of the PB, and people just don't like that.

It works differently, looks different, operates different and therefore it must suck. It is not an iPad clone, or a clone of an iPad clone... There is a market expectation these days that everything Apple creates is gold, and everyone must follow. Does Apple make a decent product? Sure. Is it the best? No. But don't tell anyone I said that... Is the PlayBook the best? Nope. The Xoom? Nope. Galaxy? Nope. They all have their ups and downs, it all comes down to preference. Do i miss Angry Birds on my PlayBook? **** no... Do I want 300,000 Apps? Don't care... Do I want a tablet with a fast browser that multitasks and supports Flash? Yes I do. I don't care about Apps that re-purpose Flash content to work on my device because there is no choice... I can browse on a giant app called the Internet. There will be more apps.

The issues with the PlayBook I have no doubts will be fixed in the near future. Did RIM jump the gun on launch? I think so, but does that mean it is a **** product forever? No. It isn't dead RIM is not dead, the product is only getting better. The difference is RIM will no doubt listen to the users and make this thing better, instead of making an OK product that everyone is told is perfect and the flaws are features, only to come out with version 2 12 months later that fixes half the issues.

I for one, am very pleased with my PlayBook, I haven't put it down. It does most of what I want it to, and as I said, will no doubt get better.

Everyone has different needs, style, opinions, and different brands appeal to different people... I don't care for Apple, used their products for years and got tired of the constant hardware updates and lack of backward compatibility (my company is one of only a handful that doesn't use Apple products). I love my BlackBerry, and my PlayBook and I am looking forward to seeing this thing evolve over the coming weeks.
    Mattman3234 likes this.
    04-25-11 11:53 AM
    Look guys,

The purpose of these forums, IMO, is to see what users are saying about the release of the Playbook and their experiences so far with it. you come to forums to decide on a product.

There is enough information on these forums to make a purchase without all the hate involved. I've had enough of the people who are pro-apple, pro-android, or pro-blackberry.

Why stay loyal to one company? I for one went from a bold 9650 to the iphone on verizon when it came out. Both great devices. No need to bash on one another. I make my purchases based on reviews and user feedback. Reviews aren't pro-one company either. Calling the media all biased for a certain product is ludicrous.

Buy what suits your needs. No need to bash if a certain product doesn't meet your eye.

btw, you probably all hate me for getting the verizon iphone, but I am on this forum and reading because I'm interested in using the mobile hotspot and playbook. Haven't decided yet.
    04-25-11 12:00 PM
    RIM has better products, but Apple is better at marketing...Blah blah blah
    That is completely laughable. You are a typical fanboi, no matter what you won't see through your foggy glasses. I wouldn't be surprised if you still used a Motorola Startac.
    04-25-11 12:04 PM
    (my company is one of only a handful that doesn't use Apple products).
    I think more than a handful of companies don't use Apple products.
    04-25-11 12:04 PM
    That is completely laughable. You are a typical fanboi, no matter what you won't see through your foggy glasses. I wouldn't be surprised if you still used a Motorola Startac.

It was drenched in sarcasm. I am not loyal to one company.
    04-25-11 12:05 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD