Hey Crackberrians!

If you could customize a gesture for a right diagonal swipe from either the home-screen or any application, what would you have the said gesture do?

(Entirely out of curiosity!)

I would probably use it as a Universal Search, like on the OS 6 devices and above; for quicker access to Apps (and App World Search), Search Engines, E-mails, contacts, tasks & appointments when OS 2.0 finally launches!

Last edited by shaunj539; 02-14-12 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Better wording.
    02-14-12 09:04 AM
    Hey Crackberrians!

If you could create a gesture for a right diagonal swipe from either the home-screen or any application, what would you have the said gesture do?

I would probably use it as a Universal Search, like on the OS 6 devices and above; for quicker access to Apps (and App World Search), Search Engines, E-mails, contacts, tasks & appointments when OS 2.0 finally launches!

One word: standby.

(Or is that two words?)
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-14-12 09:08 AM
    Hey Crackberrians!

If you could create a gesture for a right diagonal swipe from either the home-screen or any application, what would you have the said gesture do?

It should be customizable, like the blank key you normally get on the side of a bb phone.
    02-14-12 09:22 AM
    Airplane mode + standby
    02-14-12 09:27 AM
    I was thinking the same thing peter. Convenience swipe.
    pcotton likes this.
    02-14-12 09:27 AM
    It should be customizable, like the blank key you normally get on the side of a bb phone.
    ... Didn't even think of that!

Even so, what would you use the gesture for anyway?
    02-14-12 09:30 AM
    Convenience swipe would be the NUTS!!

i would change it all the time (depending what new apps i have and what i use the most!)

love it!
    shaunj539 likes this.
    02-14-12 09:33 AM
    Open the phone app to make a call. Don't forget that this OS will bee used on the BB10 phones.
    02-14-12 09:38 AM
    I want it to open a cursor keypad.
    DocDRM likes this.
    02-14-12 09:51 AM
    I've heard someone say that RIM was saving that swipe for the "phone" application in BB10.

That would eliminate the need for a dedicated phone button, thus keeping with the PlayBook aesthetic of having no face buttons. Just a clean sheet of glass.
    02-14-12 09:58 AM
    As mentioned...one or two customizable swipes would be awesome.
    02-14-12 10:05 AM
    ... Didn't even think of that!

Even so, what would you use the gesture for anyway?
    Id set it to a search feature as mentioned above. Hate having to troll though my files.
    02-14-12 10:10 AM
    Gestures instead of buttons was such a genius idea. Full screen apps, quick entry & exit and no buttons is truly amazing!
    02-14-12 10:10 AM
    open crackberry.com
    00stryder likes this.
    02-14-12 11:08 AM
    That would be perfect!
    02-14-12 12:07 PM
    Isn't right diagonal swipe taken by "pull down notification bar" already?
    02-14-12 12:28 PM
    kennyliu, he means the bottom-right corner swipe. I was confused for a while too...
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-14-12 12:30 PM
    Maybe double the options, with fast and slow gestures - like single and double clicks/taps in various UIs.

Fast diagonal swipe from lower left = keyboard, slow swipe = F2's cursor keypad : stackable - with keyboard open - slow swipe to open cursor keypad on top of keyboard for cursor control, then a slow swipe to close and return to keyboard. And vice versa

Similar dual speed use on other swipes . . . maybe customizable.
    02-14-12 12:36 PM
    This is it! The user customized swipe. I don't know what I would put there but hope this is either already coming or someone from RIM reads this! Can't believe I didn't think of this already, moreover I can't believe RIM didn't. Fantastic, RIM make it happen
    Last edited by axllebeer; 02-14-12 at 12:47 PM.
    02-14-12 12:37 PM
    I would like top-left to be Standby, and bottom-right to be Search, or maybe quick-launch a selected app. An app for configuring the corner swipes would be a HOT seller!
    02-14-12 12:41 PM
    Maybe double the options, with fast and slow gestures - like single and double clicks/taps in various UIs.

Fast diagonal swipe from lower left = keyboard, slow swipe = F2's cursor keypad : stackable - with keyboard open - slow swipe to open cursor keypad on top of keyboard for cursor control, then a slow swipe to close and return to keyboard. And vice versa

Similar dual speed use on other swipes . . . maybe customizable.
    I like your thinking. Might confuse people of how slow/fast to swipe though so what do you think about having current swiping as it is but add in the other functions by tapping the bezel instead?
    Last edited by axllebeer; 02-14-12 at 12:48 PM.
    02-14-12 12:44 PM
    Don't get me started on swipe gestures. ever since I got this Playbook (few days ago) i'm trying to quit an app by swiping from bottom to top... on my iPhone... So simple it drives me crazy!!!

But then yeh i too would choose to go to the stand by mode. Foro some reason I did notice that this was missing yesterday
    02-14-12 12:48 PM
    Widgets!!!! That would rock and allow lot of options to be present there. See the clock, turn off or on something fast, see information etc. It would be very fast!
    02-14-12 12:55 PM
    Make it user customizable where possible

universal search, bbm, email, file explorer, camera, sleep, airplane mode...

I also foresee multi-finger frame gestures, such as opening two apps within one screen at the same time
    02-14-12 01:03 PM
    I like your thinking. Might confuse people of how slow/fast to swipe though so what do you think about having current swiping as it is but add in the other functions by tapping the bezel instead?
    That's a good thought, too. Valuable brainstorming sessions here at CB! So . . . maybe three uses per swipe/swipe area? Might be able to change coffee maker settings with that many choices.

Regarding swipe speed, I was thinking it would be in settings much the same way double-click speed is in Windows settings, or in BBOS6 (my Torch 9800) the Touchscreen Sensitivity settings (Tap Interval and Hover Period) and the Trackpad Sensitivity settings (Horizontal and Vertical) : instead of numeric values, though, a mini-session to teach the device "my" definitions of fast swipe/slow swipe, then save and exit.
    02-14-12 01:16 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD