07-11-13 09:53 AM
35 12
tools
    This is what Richard from Customer Support said when I told him that giving me a brand new PlayBook almost made up for them not bringing BB10 to PB as promised:
    "I would like to advise you that our developers did attempt to bring the BlackBerry 10 software to the PlayBook. They spent a great deal of time and energy to implement solutions that could move the BlackBerry 10 experience to the PlayBook. Unfortunately they were not satisfied with the level of performance and user experience achieved, and as a result, they made the difficult decision to stop these efforts and focus on our core hardware portfolio."

I'm not gonna respond, I'm gonna leave well enough alone, they just gave me a new PB so I'm happy for now.
    07-10-13 01:18 PM
    How about a simple browser update? BBM for PlayBook? I would have been happy with JUST these two improvements. It would have been nice to get an Android Player update and time-shift camera software...but that would most likely be pushing it. I don't think it was unrealistic to want a better web browsing experience and to use BBM which works very well on Java based OS 5, 6 and 7 phones even with well below 1GB of RAM.
    hf199 and nappp like this.
    07-10-13 01:22 PM
    @ThaSwapMeetPimp:
    News at 11!
    ThaSwapMeetPimp likes this.
    07-10-13 01:22 PM
    I like your post.
    07-10-13 01:23 PM
    How do we suggest to those developers that one of them should leak the dev. progress here and let us decide ourselves if the performance is bad? We have an excellent community here and I'm sure one of these guys would have a hybrid built in a few weeks that would satisfy most of us.
    07-10-13 01:24 PM
    This is what Richard from Customer Support said when I told him that giving me a brand new PlayBook almost made up for them not bringing BB10 to PB as promised:
    "I would like to advise you that our developers did attempt to bring the BlackBerry 10 software to the PlayBook. They spent a great deal of time and energy to implement solutions that could move the BlackBerry 10 experience to the PlayBook. Unfortunately they were not satisfied with the level of performance and user experience achieved, and as a result, they made the difficult decision to stop these efforts and focus on our core hardware portfolio."

I'm not gonna respond, I'm gonna leave well enough alone, they just gave me a new PB so I'm happy for now.
    they dont know how to kiss (keep it simple stupid) with respect to development. adding stuffs after stuffs doesnt make it attractive it slows down the expansion of universe.
    i almost felt so sleepy. that i pressed the q (quit) in mplayer. they used a camera from 1960's!
    thanks!
    -paul
    p.s. it talks nothing about kernel much......
    07-10-13 01:33 PM
    How about a simple browser update? BBM for PlayBook? I would have been happy with JUST these two improvements. It would have been nice to get an Android Player update and time-shift camera software...but that would most likely be pushing it. I don't think it was unrealistic to want a better web browsing experience and to use BBM which works very well on Java based OS 5, 6 and 7 phones even with well below 1GB of RAM.
    wake up, its morning. had a good night sleep. because you are dreaming. its not happening. :-D
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-10-13 01:35 PM
    @ThaSwapMeetPimp:
    News at 11!
    Lol it was more of the tone of the part where he says "I would like to advise you" like he was chiding me for even saying something about BB10 when they just gave me a brand new PB.
    07-10-13 01:38 PM
    Two possibilities why they were not satisfied with the level of BB10 performance and user experience achieved in PlayBook... either QNX is not really that efficient and optimize as what we thought of... or, those programmers are not on that competent level to make BB10 efficient and optimize on PlayBook...

Posted via Z10
    07-10-13 01:53 PM
    OK... there is also possibility that they just really don't do it and making excuses only... after all, QNX was acquired by BlackBerry in April 2010... they should know long time ago that BB10 would not be a pleasant experience in tablet running 1 GHz Cortex-A9 dual-core and having 1GB RAM... and wouldn't make promise to deliver it to PlayBook...

Posted via Z10
    07-10-13 02:05 PM
    Two possibilities why they were not satisfied with the level of BB10 performance and user experience achieved in PlayBook... either QNX is not really that efficient and optimize as what we thought of... or, those programmers are not on that competent level to make BB10 efficient and optimize on PlayBook...

Posted via Z10
    Another possibility, which is more likely probable. The economics ($$ and cents) they were spending on supporting the playbook didn't meet the executives budget constraints. There is no bottom line revenue to be had by supporting the playbook.

I suggested to BB -Product Manger "John" in the beta forums that I'd be happy to pay for an upgrade to BB10 if that what it would take. John told us in a separate thread, that the playbook would need to be "couched" into their new context of "blackberry as a platform" (BAAS) in order for resources to be spent on it. This was the most telling message that I've ever heard from them on the subject. All of their budget and resources have to be going to their new vision - as they described to share holders. Supporting a non-revenue generating piece of tech - an experiment if you will - does not get a line item in their current diminishing budgets.

Personally - it sucks and I think someone should start a class action suite - but that's the way it is.
    07-10-13 02:20 PM

Posted via Z10
    There is no doubt of the efficiency of QNX to operate on some very basic hardware.

BB10 is NOT QNX.

BB10 was built upon the QNX kernel - and I imagine started with a basic UI that QNX already had in house, but a lot was added to it to create a new mobile os. Also as a last resort they had to dumped some BBOS on top of it, which I bet wasn't a very pretty thing to do.

The fact that an extra GB of RAM (which eats battery life) was dumped into the hardware between beta testing and finial hardware gives a good indications that BB10 is not optimized at all. Could BB10 run on the PlayBook - not as it is and function properly, but with some work, I bet it was possible - no radio needed from most of the PlayBooks, Hub could have been dropped. But it would have taken more resources than BBRY wanted to dump into an already lost cause... or so they think. Personally I think a "lite" version of BB10 is necessary for BBRY to produce low in BB10 smartphones. Don't see the Q5 being able to compete with devices that are over $100 cheaper. And we all know that the Premium devices get all the headlines, it is the entry level devices that make most of the sales.
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    07-10-13 02:23 PM

I know the response you received doesn't really satisfy Playbook users (including me), but at least you ended up getting an educated response. Richard obviously knows of the issue and attempts to provide BB 10 on the Playbook. That's better than the typical answers from most customer support reps.
    deemgee likes this.
    07-10-13 03:45 PM

Posted via Z10
    That's what I have been saying all along, incompetent bungling idiots they are.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    07-10-13 04:02 PM
    Did he say it in his best God of Thunder voice too?
    07-10-13 04:51 PM
    Richards response sounds scripted.
    Tim1131 likes this.
    07-10-13 06:51 PM
    I'd be very satisfied with the level of performance and user experience achieved with dev alpha devices
    (with the same hardware as PB)
    EchoesFX likes this.
    07-10-13 07:24 PM
    Richards response sounds scripted.
    No more CRACKS out of you!
    David in Durham likes this.
    07-10-13 08:33 PM

Please note, this is the same boiler-plate answer that was fed to the media by Thor and PR bodies verbatim. Ex-RIMers have confirmed that flagship effort had never been applied to the Playbook, just lip service to move the residual inventory over the past year. If Blackberry had publically acknowledged that the Playbook would not get BB10 last year like they said about the BB7 phones, would they still be holding onto a half-million Playbooks? Go figure.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    07-10-13 08:50 PM
    I'll be happy with a good android port and let it go at that.

Eckhard.
    07-10-13 09:04 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, Thorsten said that BBRY is still supporting the PlayBook, just not bringing BB10 to it...so I'm curious where some people got the assumption that they weren't releasing any future OS updates with enhancements like BBM, Jellybean Android player, BB10 app support, BB10 browser, etc. Does anyone know for sure that BB is done with the PB or is everyone just making doom and gloom assumptions?
    07-10-13 09:15 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, Thorsten said that BBRY is still supporting the PlayBook, just not bringing BB10 to it...so I'm curious where some people got the assumption that they weren't releasing any future OS updates with enhancements like BBM, Jellybean Android player, BB10 app support, BB10 browser, etc. Does anyone know for sure that BB is done with the PB or is everyone just making doom and gloom assumptions?
    I asked Alec Saunders about any Playbook updates head on. Here's what he had to say:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post8799735

P.S. Did I just headshot you in modern combat 2 a few hundred times?
    07-10-13 09:58 PM
    There was a Tweet posted today confirming NOTHING new for the pb from a bb big (liar) wig!
    07-10-13 10:08 PM
    If they say nothing there is a chance.
    We know they usually lie
    07-11-13 06:23 AM
    How do we suggest to those developers that one of them should leak the dev. progress here and let us decide ourselves if the performance is bad? We have an excellent community here and I'm sure one of these guys would have a hybrid built in a few weeks that would satisfy most of us.
    I doubt they ever did it. Or it was killed by someone higher up based on financial and blamed on technical difficulties. Either way I am quite convinced that it was possible and the fact that there is no update announced at all (even OS 2.2) makes me unhappy...

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-11-13 06:45 AM
35 12