03-22-13 04:45 AM
54 123
tools
    No..I'm talking about the Nexus 7 tablet. There is no such thing as the Nexus 7 phone. But rooting the tablet and installing the Chainfire app works the same for the Nexus 7 tablet as it does for the Galaxy Nexus phone. Which means you can hook up external storage to the tablet.
    I unlocked mine and with astro and stickmount I am able to access pretty much everything with external storage now.

The problem is that using the usb otg cable makes me lose the power source. So when I'm accessing say a flash drive, my nexus tablet won't recharge. So if I need that external storage connected for long periods of time, my battery is going to run out.
    07-29-12 06:39 PM
    Like you I own a PB. I have only used the Nexus 7 at the local electronics store. I just ordered one today. I agree, you can't compare screen quality nor is the performance comparable. The Nexus 7 smokes the PB.

A couple things to note on the Nexus 7:
    1. It now has a 32Gb version, which is the one I ordered.
    2. It also has 4G wireless antenna.
    3. Its rooted! So you can simply plug in a SIM card and you are off and running with 4G mobile speed.
    4. With AT&T, you are not forced to a long term data plan. You can go month to month and it includes 30,000 wireless hotspots. Not a bad deal.
    5. There is a USB dongle accessory that allows you to attach USB storage devices and keyboards.
    6. The power cord is mini USB - I can use the same one for my Gallaxy Note 2. No need to carry a power brick... aka PB.
    7. The apps - I hated the apps on PB and Blackberry AppWorld is a joke compared to Android.
    8. I can care less about HDMI out. I never used on my PB (but you may be different - I get it). Like another reviewer said, buy yourself a Roku. I have 3 in my house. They work great and I bring it to my boat for the weekend.

I will be very interested to find out if my PB Mini Keyboard works with the Nexus 7, especially the mouse (fingers crossed). The Nexus 7 does support a mouse so I'm hopeful. I'm done with the PB. Its an investment gone wrong.
    03-21-13 08:31 PM
    Like you I own a PB. I have only used the Nexus 7 at the local electronics store. I just ordered one today. I agree, you can't compare screen quality nor is the performance comparable. The Nexus 7 smokes the PB.

A couple things to note on the Nexus 7:
    1. It now has a 32Gb version, which is the one I ordered.
    2. It also has 4G wireless antenna.
    3. Its rooted! So you can simply plug in a SIM card and you are off and running with 4G mobile speed.
    4. With AT&T, you are not forced to a long term data plan. You can go month to month and it includes 30,000 wireless hotspots. Not a bad deal.
    5. There is a USB dongle accessory that allows you to attach USB storage devices and keyboards.
    6. The power cord is mini USB - I can use the same one for my Gallaxy Note 2. No need to carry a power brick... aka PB.
    7. The apps - I hated the apps on PB and Blackberry AppWorld is a joke compared to Android.
    8. I can care less about HDMI out. I never used on my PB (but you may be different - I get it). Like another reviewer said, buy yourself a Roku. I have 3 in my house. They work great and I bring it to my boat for the weekend.

I will be very interested to find out if my PB Mini Keyboard works with the Nexus 7, especially the mouse (fingers crossed). The Nexus 7 does support a mouse so I'm hopeful. I'm done with the PB. Its an investment gone wrong.
    You need to go to the Nexus7 forum and check Blackbery Mamba's posts to see about that persons experience with the N7. I suppose you have explored that forum. Lot of complaints about battery life. wifi and slow charging. Believe Blackberry Mamba had a lot of quality problems with the N7 and may have moved on to something else.

I have had a 16 GB N7 for about 8 months and it is a nice machine with the 4.2.2 OS. I have not had any quality problems that I have noticed. I miss the magnetic travel charger. I haven't rooted mine and probably won't because it makes installing OS updates more difficult and I have not seen any advantage to me. And there certainly more apps in the Android world with the free ones usually having lots of advertising. Big Daddy Google has great maps and will follow you everywhere. My HP Touchpad Bluetooth keyboard and generic bluetooth keyboard work with the N7 but this is essentially useless to me with the small screen while with the Playbook I can use the HDMI cord to connect to a TV or monitor and at the same time attach the magnetic travel charger to keep the battery charged.

Hope you are satisfied with your new device. I'll await your posts on the Nexus7 forum. And maybe your experience with AT&T.

Sorry probably should have just let this thread die but couldn't resist adding my dime's worth.
    03-22-13 12:27 AM
    Some people are very sensitive.
    Indeed - bless - it must be very difficult for them.

They have my sincere and empathetic consideration for what must be of real concern.

Sorry, I tried, but I just can't keep it up... somebody returned a device because the power button "clicked"?
    03-22-13 04:45 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD