Different strokes...

Recently I was at a friends house and we got to talking about boxing. The conversation turned to a particular fight, which I happened to have on my PB (one of my favorites) so I took out my 64GB PlayBook and HDMI cable and hooked it up to his TV so we could review the fight. Couldn't have gotten that fight anywhere else (in a timely manner at least) other than my PlayBook oh and he had two laptops, an iPad 2 and a galaxy s 2 at his disposal.

Another one, my kid was at a bday party recently and I let him watch some episodes of his favorite show on my PlayBook because he was bored. As kids do, the other kids around him started crowding around him to watch too. I took out my hdmi cable, hooked the PB up to a tv they had in the living room and bam, all the kids sat on the couch and floor watching with my kid

So you see, just because you want to defend your nexus 7 by implying that hdmi out is "not that useful" you're portraying only your own needs. And not everyone is like you.
    Not being sarcastic or snarky or whatever but you carry an HDMI wire around with you everywhere? Does the case you have bought for you PB come with a wire holder or something or how does this work?
    07-22-12 08:40 PM
    Unless I was at someone else's home and they had no tech, and I can't think of a situation where I would use a tablet of any type to stream to my tv.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    That's you. It's a big factor to many. It's also what makes the PB a versatile business device, making a great presentation/PP device. It's saved me from carrying around a laptop for the same purpose. Quite a number of threads on movies and presentation use of the PB. Google "tablets with HDMI port" and see how many android forums come up with posts looking for this feature. Then google "no HDMI port on Nexus 7” and see how many reviews and opinions disagree with you. It's a deal breaker for a lot of folks.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-22-12 at 09:04 PM.
    07-22-12 08:58 PM
    power button eh, I think I pushed that once.

What's a power button??
    07-22-12 09:27 PM
    Unless I was at someone else's home and they had no tech, and I can't think of a situation where I would use a tablet of any type to stream to my tv.

Then why could it be that so many panties are twisted up because the PlayBook doesn't have Netflix? You really think all those people who want to stream videos to their tablets only want to watch them on their tablets? I thought flexibility was the name of the game. No HDMI is quite a bit of missing flexibility.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-22-12 09:27 PM
    Different strokes...

Recently I was at a friends house and we got to talking about boxing. The conversation turned to a particular fight, which I happened to have on my PB (one of my favorites) so I took out my 64GB PlayBook and HDMI cable and hooked it up to his TV so we could review the fight. Couldn't have gotten that fight anywhere else (in a timely manner at least) other than my PlayBook oh and he had two laptops, an iPad 2 and a galaxy s 2 at his disposal.

Another one, my kid was at a bday party recently and I let him watch some episodes of his favorite show on my PlayBook because he was bored. As kids do, the other kids around him started crowding around him to watch too. I took out my hdmi cable, hooked the PB up to a tv they had in the living room and bam, all the kids sat on the couch and floor watching with my kid

So you see, just because you want to defend your nexus 7 by implying that hdmi out is "not that useful" you're portraying only your own needs. And not everyone is like you.
    His galaxy has HDMI out.
    07-22-12 09:40 PM
    His galaxy has HDMI out.
    Yes.. As does the iPad. And I'd be really surprised if there isn't a work around (or cable) for the Nexus 7 for HDMI out and external storage....seeing as how my Galaxy Nexus is able to support up to a 1TB external harddrive

EDIT: Yes.. It can be done. Same way as my Gnex. Root and install Chain fire app. Easy peasy

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1769851
    Last edited by Rickroller; 07-22-12 at 11:20 PM.
    07-22-12 11:16 PM
    Not being sarcastic or snarky or whatever but you carry an HDMI wire around with you everywhere? Does the case you have bought for you PB come with a wire holder or something or how does this work?
    One in my laptop bag and one in my glove box in my car.
    07-23-12 12:14 AM
    I played with that crappy tablet today and damn it feels so cheap compared to the PlayBook. If I never owned a PlayBook maybe it woulds be a different story but I love my QUALITY and the smooth OS on the PB. BOOM!
    bitek likes this.
    07-23-12 12:23 AM
    I played with that crappy tablet today and damn it feels so cheap compared to the PlayBook. If I never owned a PlayBook maybe it woulds be a different story but I love my QUALITY and the smooth OS on the PB. BOOM!
    Pretty crappy getting the reviews they been getting.
    07-23-12 02:36 AM
    Different strokes...

I didn't say it wasn't useful, I just couldn't think of a place in which I would use it. As for defending the nexus 7 - it's a piece of plastic, it's not a puppy or a person it does not need defending.

07-23-12 02:57 AM
    Pretty crappy getting the reviews they been getting.
    Its not meant to be a high end tablet.

Compare a tablet that cost 500 bucks and not one that cost 200.

It doesnt matter if the PB is 200 now, because when it was released it was 499,599 and 699 at launch.

Its like comparing a $20k Honda Accord to a reduced price $20k Acura RL. For obvious reasons, the Acura would feel more luxurious.
    07-23-12 08:44 AM
    I much prefer, my PB over my Nexus 7, BUT I do like my Nexus 7.
    07-23-12 09:07 AM
    Its not meant to be a high end tablet.

Compare a tablet that cost 500 bucks and not one that cost 200.

It doesnt matter if the PB is 200 now, because when it was released it was 499,599 and 699 at launch.

Its like comparing a $20k Honda Accord to a reduced price $20k Acura RL. For obvious reasons, the Acura would feel more luxurious.
    That was sarcasm
    07-23-12 10:30 AM
    I bought my PlayBook at launch and I think I've pressed that power button about seven times since then (twice when I was on an airplane when I had to turn it off). All the fuss about how difficult the button is to press, that you can't tell you pressed it, and now some kind of "click" (mine does not click), disappear when your realize that you press it so infrequently.
    07-23-12 01:24 PM
    Amazing how many people come to a Blackberry forum for info on competitor's devices...

Those other guys' forums must be really dead.
    it is true. android central is not as active as this forum.
    as to nexus. great specs for android but Qnx is better than Android os
    and many apps look extra terrible on Nexus due to its higher resolution
    07-23-12 01:33 PM
    - I am one here too that presses the power button once a month if that. You gotta keep the PB charged and on b/c it takes so damn long to boot!

- Also use the HDMI out for viewing video content that I can download from my home server.

- Also like the fact that is supports flash. Watch a lot of flash content ( Can the Nexus 7 do flash?)

-Also like the stereo sound of the PB. (after all sound is half the picture! You don't really notice until you watch something on a different tab and its like wow something is really missing.

-Also in the camp that it really sucks no Netflix on the PB but whatever, their loss I will watch other content including Crackle & Tablet TV!
    07-23-12 03:46 PM
    Ok so I've gotten to play with the Nexus 7 tablet recently for a little bit. The idea that the Blackberry playbook has that much of a better build quality is false. The screen on the google nexus 7 tablet is actually better quality. Also the feel of the google nexus 7 is much lighter and it has the nice black rubbery texture in the back.

The performance is that much better. Everything is more responsive and much smoother. The lag I saw when using the playbook is gone from the nexus 7. Must be the quad core processor at work.

I'm using the ps3 logitech media keyboard as we speak on the nexus 7, and it works great.

Only 16gb of internal memory still sucks until someone finds out how to connect a usb stick to this thing some how.

What is cool is that I can use netflix on this tablet which was a big drawback with the playbook. Additionally the OS is better and the app selection is a lot better. It's definitely worth the $250, but I still miss the hdmi output of the playbook, the extra internal storage of the playbook, and the rear camera of the playbook.
    07-28-12 07:56 PM
    Ok so I've gotten to play with the Nexus 7 tablet recently for a little bit. The idea that the Blackberry playbook has that much of a better build quality is false. The screen on the google nexus 7 tablet is actually better quality. Also the feel of the google nexus 7 is much lighter and it has the nice black rubbery texture in the back.

The performance is that much better. Everything is more responsive and muuch smoother. The lag I saw when using the playbook is gone from the nexus 7. Must be the quad core processor at work.

I'm using the ps3 logitech media keyboard as we speak on the nexus 7, and it works great.

Only 16gb of internal memory still sucks until someone finds out how to connect a usb stick to this thing some how.

What is cool is that I can use netflix on this tablet which was a big drawback with the playbook. Additionally the OS is better and the app selection is a lot better. It's definitely worth the $250, but I still miss the hdmi output of the playbook, the extra internal storage of the playbook, and the rear camera of the playbook.
    The extra storage space issue is already resolved. Simply root the Nex7 and install the Chainfire app and your done. This works the same as it does for my Galaxy Nexus and allows me to install any memory stick or even an external hard drive (with its own power supply) up to 1 TB.
    07-28-12 08:13 PM
    The extra storage space issue is already resolved. Simply root the Nex7 and install the Chainfire app and your done. This works the same as it does for my Galaxy Nexus and allows me to install any memory stick or even an external hard drive (with its own power supply) up to 1 TB.
    I'm talking about the Google Nexus 7 tablet, I think your talking about the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 7 phone.
    07-28-12 09:04 PM
    I'm talking about the Google Nexus 7 tablet, I think your talking about the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 7 phone.
    No..I'm talking about the Nexus 7 tablet. There is no such thing as the Nexus 7 phone. But rooting the tablet and installing the Chainfire app works the same for the Nexus 7 tablet as it does for the Galaxy Nexus phone. Which means you can hook up external storage to the tablet.
    07-28-12 09:23 PM
    I don't understand the power button problem. Mine clicks too when I let it go after pressing but, since I only press it about once a month, it's not a problem. The PB is meant to be on all the time, so I switch it off just to clear the cobwebs every few weeks!
    Yeah I see no real need to ever turn the PlayBook off. Or if you do it is much much easier to use the on screen buttons.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-28-12 09:36 PM

The performance is that much better. Everything is more responsive and much smoother. The lag I saw when using the playbook is gone from the nexus 7. Must be the quad core processor at work.

Well you are talking about devices that were designed almost years apart. The PlayBook as I recall was designed and released in the 2010 to early 2011 time span. Google got Asus to design and build the n7 just mere months ago. I would certainly expect it to be superior.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-28-12 09:41 PM
    Don't have a PB yet, gonna get one. jvictor77 if you don't shut down your PB doesn't that drain the battery quicker? I have a Mac desktop which goes to sleep mode at prescribed intervals (I always shut it down before going to bed) but my nephew, who also has a Mac says he never shuts down his Mac. Hmmm.
    07-29-12 12:16 AM
    07-29-12 01:54 AM
    Don't have a PB yet, gonna get one. jvictor77 if you don't shut down your PB doesn't that drain the battery quicker? I have a Mac desktop which goes to sleep mode at prescribed intervals (I always shut it down before going to bed) but my nephew, who also has a Mac says he never shuts down his Mac. Hmmm.
    Standby does a pretty good job of slowing battery depletion, if you leave it with nothing special running it can lose a few percentage overnight - mine went from about 60% to 57% last night. Clearly, turning it fully off will preserve that power. But I charge it when it needs it. These batteries don't suffer from frequent charging (or so most say).

If I leave it for more than 3 or 4 days, I do turn it off - longer camping trip it does not come along on.
    07-29-12 08:45 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD