Ladies and Germs,

I know there is a 'I got a PB thread' but i figured I would share my story of how I finally landed in my PlayBook. I bought a Xoom from Staples three weeks ago. I enjoyed it thoroughly; solid build quality, nice array of periph. ports and of course the new Anroid flagship OS. Then, Staples began their $100 promotion so I decided to upgrade to the new GT10.1.

Again, I was satisfied with my decision. The ultra-thin design was right up my alley. But, after playing with it, I began to think to myself "I bought an iPad"...thin design with a single proprietary port, but with an unrefined interface. I cant believe i thought I could live with only one connection option. I know that Samsung was planning on releasing USB adapters, HDMI adapters, etc, but obviously these would come at an Apple-esque premium. The one major selling point for me was the integration of my (numerous) Google accounts throughout the tab, as my life revolves around them. The final nail in the coffin was a defect in the GT10.1 screen. The glass was beginning to separate from the housing. Originally this was only a problem with the Galaxy I/O given away at Google's developers conference, but has been popping up at the retail level now as well (Google it).

So, I wandered back to the store and walked out with my new PB. I was a big RIM fan for the longest time and began to worry about the direction they were heading (down the toilet?) But all of my fears have been resolved, I am in LOVE with this thing and i cant wait for RIM to implement QNX in their new phones.

The Andoid tabs feel like toys when compared to the PlayBook. I'm still peeling away the layers of the tablet and am more and more content with my choice. The PB has reaffirmed my faith in RIM and look forward to the progress that they make with the PB and QNX in general.

With that said, it's not perfect...yet. There are a few key features which RIM must release ASAP for the PB to remain viable in this fierce tablet market. Auto-correct, SMS/MMS through BBBridge, Netflix/Skype are my biggest peeves currently. They also need to implement native e-mail apps, particularly for those who do not have a BB and cannot take advantage of BB Bridge. I have faith that RIM will wise-up and fix these issues promptly.

Sorry for the long winded post, but in short, I'm proud to be a BlackBerry fanboy once again and will recommend the PlayBook to all of my co-workers and friends. I also believe that a lot of the "RIM on the verge of death" hype is obviously biased and fueled by ignorant Apple/Android diehards. I was once a heavy iPhone/iPod user and acknowledge their benefits. But with that said, RIM has hit a homerun with the PlayBook and look forward to owning many more BB's in the future.

Cheers,
    T

P.S. I work at the operations level for Officemax and coordinate regional operations for numerous OM retail locations. Thus, I feel like a bit of a traitor heading over to our largest competitor, but with $100 off a tablet (and the tablet margin is very small at ~7%) I was actually hurting their bottom line. It's the little victories, right?
    07-25-11 04:58 PM
    P.S. I work at the operations level for Officemax and coordinate regional operations for numerous OM retail locations. Thus, I feel like a bit of a traitor heading over to our largest competitor, but with $100 off a tablet (and the tablet margin is very small at ~7%) I was actually hurting their bottom line. It's the little victories, right?
    I love it
    07-25-11 05:07 PM
    OP, I too love your justification for turning to Staples for your PlayBook. Haha!

Also, I may send you a DM about other thoughts you have about the Galaxy Tablet.

Welcome to the PlayBook family!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-11 05:22 PM
    Welcome to the PlayBook World

You may not find a lot of apps currently but just wait for the official release of the Android store and you will start having amazing time with your PB
    bpdude likes this.
    07-25-11 05:28 PM
    welcome, the playbook need more apps, but,.... is starting in time you are going to find more and more apps....
    07-25-11 07:05 PM
    High five! or fist pump or nose rub or whatever you prefer. Well almost whatever. Thanks for posting, always happy to hear happy experiences with Playbook eventually this will become a friendly happy place....
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-25-11 at 07:49 PM.
    07-25-11 07:38 PM
    Welcome to the PlayBook World

You may not find a lot of apps currently but just wait for the official release of the Android store and you will start having amazing time with your PB
    Already having an amazing time - what apps do I need - used a total of one on my phone...still using it - Slicktasks does everything that's worth doing, its all I need for life.

Now for the Playbook version? hint hint
    07-25-11 07:39 PM
    Ladies and Germs,

The glass was beginning to separate from the housing. Originally this was only a problem with the Galaxy I/O given away at Google's developers conference, but has been popping up at the retail level now as well (Google it).

The Andoid tabs feel like toys when compared to the PlayBook. I'm still peeling away the layers of the tablet and am more and more content with my choice. I also believe that a lot of the "RIM on the verge of death" hype is obviously biased and fueled by ignorant Apple/Android diehards. But with that said, RIM has hit a homerun with the PlayBook and look forward to owning many more BB's in the future.

Cheers,
    T

P.S. I work at the operations level for Officemax and coordinate regional operations for numerous OM retail locations.
    Germ here...

I keep telling people "it's the hardware stupid" Playbook in comparison is rugged and solid as a rock.

My bold has been with me for three years and running strong, never a glitch - I thought I had finally worn the USB connector out - it got flaky and intermittent and ordered a new connector dreading having to install it...then I found the charger connector was the problem not the BOLD!

No true reason to upgrade other than adding touch would complete the deal (9900 come to me!)

Did you happen to compare display also?? Playbook in the lineup has the best contrast (whiter whites darker blacks) and the sharpest, brightest crispest display hands down.

Now tell us why OfficeMax is not selling it and what will you be doing about it?
    Working for Staples or best Buy I hope ...

Fanboy and proud of it.
    07-25-11 07:47 PM
    I am in LOVE with this thing and i cant wait for RIM to implement QNX in their new phones.
    Same here, never really wanted a blackberry phone but I plan to snap up the first new blackberry QNX phone I can get my hands on. Goodbye Iphone.
    07-25-11 07:50 PM
    welcome!......
    07-25-11 08:57 PM
    Amy - Feel free to message me any questions you have about the GT10.1. I put quite a few miles on it before it went back.

Blackjack - Every single Officemax sells the Blackberry PlayBook. It was actually the first tablet they began offering at a retail level. I make sure that every one in my jurisdiction is up to date and has the stellar hi-def demo on loop.

I did compare the screens between the GT10.1 and the PB. The real estate on the GT screen is pleasant, with a noticeably higher resolution than the Xoom. The GT10.1 claims to be 1080p when in reality it is not. It is trimmed down to about 1920x900 (or something along those lines due to the ever-present android navigation bar). The colors on the GT are super saturated which makes for nice eye candy, but also leads to a bit of bleeding into the blacks.

The slate is nice, but not practical for my uses. I have a a 16" Toshiba laptop and a 10.1" Samsung Netbook...why would I need another 10" screen. The PB is exactly what I needed; small enough to throw in a jacket/suit pocket for business portability and on the same device I can also kick back and watch a true 1080p movie. And I know people say that you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at that size, but trust me you can. There are certain instances where some images just make you say "Wow!"

Cheers,
    T
    07-25-11 10:15 PM
    Are you pairing it with a BB handset, Snozberries?
    07-25-11 10:27 PM
    Yes, I've bridged it with my Style with no issues so far. The Style on the other hand is a POS, but that's besides the point.

And just to clarify...BB Bridge Browser is free, but slow and stuck with a 'mobile' interface. I understand that tethering through Sprint would cost me $30 bones a month. I just want to triple check before running Bridge Browser and being surprised with a nasty bill come next month.
    07-25-11 11:06 PM
    welcome. the next thing you buy SHOULD (with emphasis) be a ZAGG screen protector. GREAAAT product. i've put one on every blackberry i've had. except for the one in my profile picture. check out their video(s) on youtube if you dont know about them.
    07-26-11 12:27 AM
    Yes, I've bridged it with my Style with no issues so far. The Style on the other hand is a POS, but that's besides the point.

And just to clarify...BB Bridge Browser is free, but slow and stuck with a 'mobile' interface. I understand that tethering through Sprint would cost me $30 bones a month. I just want to triple check before running Bridge Browser and being surprised with a nasty bill come next month.
    Whoa... a BB Style user! That's rare (at least in here)
    Congrats for ur 'latest' Tablet.
    oh and btw, welcome 'home' bud..
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    07-26-11 04:13 AM
    I got my PB after returning Motorola Xoom 3G that I used for one week. The Xoom for Europe is not an Android GED therefore is as I write still at Android 3.0.1. Still the Xoom experience was horrendous. The browser freezes, Flash HD videos played at 2-5 fps, I had to reset the tablet 6 times in two hours, etc.

Then I got the PB. What a difference! The browsing was like on my PC, HD video was flawless, it had not the Xoom washed colors but crisp and vivid images and deep blacks. I really like the Playbook and I am looking forward to new functionality.

And Android seemed to me as a half baked OS rushed to the market with a long way in front in order to become a decent support for a real tablet. But my experience is restricted to the 3.0.1. Still after my Xoom experience I will stay away of Motorola for good and Android for a while.
    07-26-11 04:57 AM
    Good post OP
    I hope I would have my story soon, when I buy the playbook in the coming weeks .m just hope I won't change my mind before then

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-11 06:41 AM
    Shoulda got the Transformer instead, I returned my Playbook 32GB for a 16GB TF + dock and never looked back, it ownz it. While I did enjoy the 7" form factor of the PB and the OS was slick, it was pretty worthless due to cruddy apps and no email. The battery life wasn't all that great either compared to even the ipad. On my TF I get 10 hours alone but 16 hours when paired with the dock, phenominal! Plus I have 2 USB ports that I can connect and use USB thumb drives and my external 500GB as well as my PS3 gamepad, SD card slot and MicroSD card slot. Plus it's $200 cheaper than a Playbook! That was my biggest beef with PB was it's overpriced by at least $100 or so. Not saying everybody should sell their PB and go Honeycomb, PB certainly had some upsides such as better speakers, better HDMI out, nicer screen but the useability factor killed it for me. Just my 2 cents.
    07-26-11 09:46 AM
    By getting the dock, you spent more than me my friend, but to each his own.

Why was e-mail a sour point? You are a Blackberry owner and thus can bridge everything over, no?

Also, instead of plugging all that hoopla into your TF, why not just buy a desktop? Just because you CAN do something, it doesn't technically mean there is much value to it. All those features you listed are basically what sold me on the PB over Android. But again, to each his own.

Cheers
    07-28-11 06:22 PM
    The playbook does need some improvements but right now I'd be happy with yahoo IM or an IM app that supports yahoo IM. And no none of the web yahoo IM options work worth a crap on the playbook.

Welcome
    07-28-11 07:10 PM
    Have you tried webmessenger.yahoo.com in a browser?
    Sure have, it refreshes constantly and drives me nuts since every time it refreshes or loads a new add if the keyboard is open it goes away, open keyboard it goes away, rinse and repeat.
    07-28-11 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD