wow, after just 4 hours?! I don't know if I would call that a fair shot. You even mentioned that when you first got the PB you had wifi issues, yet you gave RIM a fair shot and worked through that. You praised RIM on their customer support, but yet without knowing if apple will provide you with the same or better.

I get it, and I agree that the PB is not a terrible device as some think it is, but I think this post has very little to do with the Ipad3. As someone mentioned, why did you not just try it in the store?

"Absolutely not good enough for my work needs." what does your work involve? I personally think that neither my PB or my iPad is good enough for my work, for I need to be on windows based programs. So besides email and logmein for some minor monitoring, neither tablet is ideal. Please don't take this question as a complaint. More interested in seeing if I can utilize either of my tables for better work use.
    richardat likes this.
    10-23-12 12:42 PM
    Good point here.
    It would be interesting to create a pinned post highlighting the strengths of the Playbook vs other tablets.
    10-23-12 12:47 PM
    LMAO @ claiming the iPad has 'poor battery life'

The iPad still remains one of the gold standards for battery life...well superior to that of the PlayBook.

Why do people have to tell deliberate untruths to support their electronic device of choice? That just seems so pathetic...
    Lol it's comical, I'm sure they don't believe half the stuff they type.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Rello, richardat and madman0141 like this.
    10-23-12 12:50 PM
    I purchased an ipad (32 gb) about three years ago. I used it until I bought my 64 gb Playbook. I sold the ipad to a friend (who uses it for school and loves it). I love my Playbook and use it for so many things. Like most Playbook / BB phone users, I am so thankful for ability to bridge. I still have unlimited data with Verizon, so it's works for me. I never thought that I would use an ipad again, but not too long ago I purchased a 16 gb ipad, and I am happy with it for what I use it for. It is so much easier to read a magazine or the newspaper!! I have a pretty extensive itunes library, so that's nice. I am an Amazon Prime member, so I can watch TV episodes in bed when there isn't anything on TV. I have a lot of books that I purchased for a Nook that I had, so I can read those on my ipad and books from my Kobo account on my Playbook.

This is a long way of saying that it is very easy to use more than one OS at a time and to like them BOTH. They serve different purposes, and I wouldn't want to give up either of them. Oh yeah, the best word game in the world (!) WorldJewels2, is on the ipad, but the best picture puzzles, Magic Puzzles are on the Playbook. See how it all evens out?! LOL.
    kdeckels likes this.
    10-23-12 01:58 PM
    OMG, me too! I had to rub my eyes. "Playbook wins on Native app support?" "Modestly diverse Apps Store?!?"
    10-23-12 02:08 PM
    This place is littered with people who have no idea what they are talking about. PlayBooks app store can't even see apples app store its so far ahead of it. Its gotten better no doubt, but they aren't comparable. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who claims the PlayBook has better battery life than a ipad is a fanboi in every sense of the word.

To the OP, I still feel like u didn't say exactly how the ipad doesn't meet your needs. Not that u owe any of us a explanation but how can u say u actually tried the device when u admit u had it for 4 hours? Any poster on crackberry saying they bought a playbook and tried it for 4 hours and then bought a ipad and claimed it was much better would instantly be labeled a troll. I don't think 4 hours means u gave the device a fair shot...
    richardat and kdeckels like this.
    10-23-12 02:32 PM
    For me, the PlayBook is just as good as an iPad. Why spend $300 more on something that does the same thing? (multi-tasking and USB media drive connectivity are bonuses on PB)

A lot of people say that the App Store is so much better. My question is, please tell me an app that you use every week on an iPad that I can't find an equivalent solution for on PB? I don't even use Skype every week, and I've got an iTouch for that.
    10-23-12 02:38 PM
    For me, the PlayBook is just as good as an iPad. Why spend $300 more on something that does the same thing? (multi-tasking and USB media drive connectivity are bonuses on PB)

A lot of people say that the App Store is so much better. My question is, please tell me an app that you use every week on an iPad that I can't find an equivalent solution for on PB? I don't even use Skype every week, and I've got an iTouch for that.
    10-23-12 02:38 PM

ummmm lol skype and netflix. the same apps people have been begging for from RIM for what seems like years. Many games that people want that just dont seem like they are coming to the platform. I personally would love to use something like slingbox... i cant though because there is no app. Apples apps store is better. That isnt debatable unfortunately

P.S. why is it nearly impossible to reply to comments with a quote? didnt have this problem until the new look of crackberry. I couldnt do it at all on my PlayBook. had to actually get on my computer just to do this one lol
    10-23-12 03:12 PM

P.S. why is it nearly impossible to reply to comments with a quote? didnt have this problem until the new look of crackberry. I couldnt do it at all on my PlayBook. had to actually get on my computer just to do this one lol
    The layout has changed a bit. I had to play with it for a few minutes to figure it out the first time. You just have to choose the right option (at the bottom I believe - sorry I'm on my 9930).
    10-23-12 03:28 PM
    I can't comment on apps on the ipad being so much better than on the playbook, since I'm not app crazy, but when you want to find an app, its generally there for the ipad, in my experience
    Here is a handful i used often that either I can't find on my PB or are not available or it just doesnt work. and don't worry im not going to name the 2 un-nameable on this forum

Rad-stat. this app controls the thermostat in my house.
    Cook-pad. this is a Japanese app for recipes.
    Fios remote Verizon fios DVR manager/tv remote, etc.
    Redbox browse/reserve redbox movies.
    Runkeeper allows me to view and modify my jogging log (app is available for iphone and android phones for actual tracking)
    watchESPN I believe you can watch ESPN3 through the browser, but I can't find the app for in on PB
    weekly ads & sales. this app shows you all the weekly circular flyers from super markets, kmarts, sporting goods, etc.
    Epicurious. I was told by a friend that this app is on the PB, but can't find it. is it under a different name?
    Amplitube, Allows me to plug my guitar and play/record/fx. etc.
    ABCmouse early learning and development for kids.

I'm sure some of this can be done through the browser, but that's not the point here. also sideloading was not a pleasant experience, so I haven't done that in a while.

if you could point me to some of these apps on the PB that would be great, since it could be just me missing them.

thanks
    10-23-12 04:02 PM
    It makes me laugh when people say "Playbook is bargain at xxxx" and "IPad is overpriced junk". What makes you think that drove price of Playbook and other Tablets to the price point of today? RIM is losing money on every Playbook sold at current pricing. Yes, it is good for consumers looking for a good bargain, but had there not been an iPad at the current price, you wouldn't be getting Playbook at the current price either.

iPad is definitely NOT cheap at starting price of $499, and Playbook is much better bargain at current price, no doubt about it, if you're simply looking for some tablet that has decent web browser with flash support. However, that's where it ends. Workhorse? Maybe, if the browser is all you need. Even for video streaming, Playbook has fallen behind except for the flash support. I've used both devices over a year, side by side, and unfortunately iPad wins by a big margin in terms of useability, mainly due to available apps. However, I still kept my playbook - because it is such a good device *for the price*.

The biggest problem of Playbook for me wasn't lack of apps. The wifi performance has been horrendous! Many people experience this issue, and I know when it works well it does, but in many other occasions it just doesn't work well enough to be a "reliable" workhorse. Of course, if you don't need best Wifi compatibility and performance, this is a non-issue but wireless connectivity is one of the critical features of today's tablet computers.

If you spent just 4 hours on iPad and came up with this conclusion it won't be very credible one. I suggest that you spend 4 weeks, instead of 4 hours, on both devices performing various tasks on a daily basis to come up with more objective conclusion. It may not be the same as mine, but I'm sure the price difference won't be the major factor in differentiating these two.
    10-23-12 04:48 PM
    ok I'm neither bashing nor kissing here. I appreciate the honest opinions put forward by the op, but also by others too.

to be honest I think, like with other things in life...cars...bikes...partners...when its right you just get a feeling. when uts wrong, well you just know. price doesn't always account for things, and I agree...the pb being a bargain these days should not be a law to bash other tabs. all new technology comes out high...everything...and fans will flock and spend their cash. others will wsit, others will review and select.

I used to swear by ios and the ipad, then I met android...thought it was love only to find it was just a lustful affair. I knew the pb and qnx system was right for me about 10 mins after use...noting my return of my android tab the next day and moving forth inti this land.

did price pay the ultimate factor...no. but if the pb was still at around �300+ id never considered it

each tabs has its merits, each system build for different use, the same way each of us have natural instincts or desires...some which take time, other times you just know. however my purpose of being on this forum is to share, provide debate, and hear others views, to which I thank the op and other intelligible commentators.

peace
    10-23-12 05:13 PM
    It makes me laugh when people say "Playbook is bargain at xxxx" and "IPad is overpriced junk". What makes you think that drove price of Playbook and other Tablets to the price point of today? RIM is losing money on every Playbook sold at current pricing. Yes, it is good for consumers looking for a good bargain, but had there not been an iPad at the current price, you wouldn't be getting Playbook at the current price either.

iPad is definitely NOT cheap at starting price of $499, and Playbook is much better bargain at current price, no doubt about it, if you're simply looking for some tablet that has decent web browser with flash support. However, that's where it ends. Workhorse? Maybe, if the browser is all you need. Even for video streaming, Playbook has fallen behind except for the flash support. I've used both devices over a year, side by side, and unfortunately iPad wins by a big margin in terms of useability, mainly due to available apps. However, I still kept my playbook - because it is such a good device *for the price*.

The biggest problem of Playbook for me wasn't lack of apps. The wifi performance has been horrendous! Many people experience this issue, and I know when it works well it does, but in many other occasions it just doesn't work well enough to be a "reliable" workhorse. Of course, if you don't need best Wifi compatibility and performance, this is a non-issue but wireless connectivity is one of the critical features of today's tablet computers.

If you spent just 4 hours on iPad and came up with this conclusion it won't be very credible one. I suggest that you spend 4 weeks, instead of 4 hours, on both devices performing various tasks on a daily basis to come up with more objective conclusion. It may not be the same as mine, but I'm sure the price difference won't be the major factor in differentiating these two.
    Roo Zilla and richardat like this.
    10-23-12 05:21 PM
    How about the advantages of a user accessible file system? Fun story: While traveling a colleague of mine needed to send a spreadsheet back to the office. He had a laptop, an iPhone, a good 3G signal, but no wifi. He could not send the file. I connected by BlackBerry, copied the file to my SD card, and emailed the file to his iPhone so he could send the file (forward with attachments). Now, that's not tablet related, but the point is that not having a user accessible file system makes many common tasks impossible on iOS; be it via the iPhone or iPad.

Dig through the posts here and you could easily put together a long list of things that their PlayBook can do that the iPad can not, but I think the point has been made well enough.
    Connect iPhone to the laptop with USB, enable Personal Hotspot. Now you have a laptop connected to the internet over a 3G connection. Don't have a USB cable? use wifi or bluetooth for the same thing.

The only point being made is that people are woefully ignorant of other ecosystems and like to imagine all sorts of negatives in order to feel better about their choices. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why Bridge is so wonderfully unique and exceptional because other than typing an email on my phone to send with the PlayBook (who would EVER do this?) or using the trackpad on a phone to control the cursor (this I admit has marginal use) I don't see how it differs from the iOS experience.
    10-23-12 05:44 PM
    Connect iPhone to the laptop with USB, enable Personal Hotspot. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why Bridge is so wonderfully unique and exceptional.
    Ummm, Personal Hotspot costs $$$/mo and Bridge is totally free. Is that unique and exceptional enough for you???
    kdeckels likes this.
    10-23-12 05:59 PM
    Connect iPhone to the laptop with USB, enable Personal Hotspot. Now you have a laptop connected to the internet over a 3G connection.
    That "solution" is carrier and plan dependent. This was not an option in the case described above. Still, we can see a difference between the two. Apple: Pay an additional monthly fee to your carrier for a service to handle an unusual circumstance. RIM: Just copy the file.

Of course, that non-solution *also* ignores the many other advantages of having a user accessible file system.
    10-23-12 06:04 PM
    *shrug* Personal Hotspot is included with my data plan. It's rare that a Canadian carrier offers better service than...well, anyone. There are also a plethora of free and paid apps that give filesystem access but when you're on the spot it's not ideal to have to download something like that to interface between systems, it's definitely a weak spot with the Apple architecture, no question.
    10-23-12 06:13 PM
    Ummm, Personal Hotspot costs $$$/mo and Bridge is totally free. Is that unique and exceptional enough for you???
    Where do you live? because this really depends on where you live and what kind of mobile data plan you have.
    in germany on almost all carriers all tethering is free, but you have a limited volume of data for the month, after that is used up you get only a slow connection (no extra costs!!!). The data volumes are imo enough for the monthly use of a smartphone and even a bit of tethering. if you are completly out of wifi it sure wont last but that isnt a problem many people have to face that often i guess and there are also options to get more volume for a few € for a month in most data plans.

And some oldschool devices also have the option to send files through bluetooth.
    10-23-12 06:16 PM
    I am editing my post as it seems to be annoying people, I was not having "a rant". I have been using Playbook since it came out. Ideal for my work and home use. Easily streaming video etc, which I need for work. We needed a new tablet for work and decided to try the new Ipad, it cost �479. Absolutely not worth that amount of money. Pretty to look at and for browsing from the sofa etc good enough. Absolutely not good enough for my work needs. The Playbook is a much superior "work horse" for a fraction of the price, I returned the Ipad and purchased a 64g Playbook for �110, an absolute bargain. That was my first experience with Apple, one which I will not be repeating. I am aware that many millions love the Ipad and everything Apple, I am not one of these people, I am glad I tried the Ipad and the Apple "Experience", its not for me.
    I agree. The Apple philosophy is how we consumers view as customer service. Not just genius bar or tech support. It's how they add every little thing every year to fleece the customers for more money. When you purchase an I Pad it's naked. Remember the IPOD? Only one model came with the charger adapter, every other model you have to get your own. With Playbook it comes with a Neoprene case and usb cable and charger. It's little things like that reflects the attitude of a company. Every time Apple upgrade it's I Pod touch, the change of the size require me to purchase new skin for it. It's great capitalism at work. But as consumer I am not going to keep doling out money to out fit my devices. I purchase an Imac a few years ago and did not extend the warranty, slightly over a year the defective of the Imac screen begin to surface. Of course I'm on my own to replace the screen. As the end user I dont think we should be rolling the dice and take a chance on a product that might be defectively manufacture. I can understand the wear and tear from usage. For this reason, I decided to curb my spending on company like Apple.
    100 Million people seem to disagree: Apple: 100 million iPads sold
    Wow that's a lot of sheep. LOL
    10-23-12 06:22 PM
    Be glad you returned it. iPad 4 just came out today and you avoided getting screwed by Apple...
    10-23-12 06:25 PM
    Where do you live? because this really depends on where you live and what kind of mobile data plan you have.
    I live in the USA and am on the country's largest carrier, Verizon. But I pay only $35/mo for an unlimited data-only plan. Personal Hotspot would be an additional $20/mo (for 2GB). Tethering would be an additional $30/mo.

So in my case at least, you can see why Bridge is such a unique and truly exceptional feature.
    kdeckels and elphie28 like this.
    10-23-12 06:29 PM
    I'm surprised only AT&T pulled the "Bridge is tethering" approach:
    AT&T finally approving BlackBerry Bridge (doesn't allow for free browsing!) | CrackBerry.com

$20 a month for web access over Bridge is pretty steep. Data used is data used, whether that's Youtube on my phone or Youtube on a tablet shouldn't matter.
    10-23-12 06:50 PM
    well i dont live in the usa but this sounds very outdated imo. but i can see and understand the use for bridge with this kind of plan. imo unlimited data on mobile only is just stupid because most people dont use more than 1 GB a month as far as i know.. i use (without tethering) arround 200mb a month. This includes push email, twitter, im, some websurfing, checking news and stuff like that. i guess you can get a really high usage on streaming media, big game apps or other huge files but i dont have any need for that when im on the move, i donwloa some pdfs from time to time but those arent bigger than 1-3 mb in most cases.

I pay 20€ a month for data flat (3G speeds until 300mb is gone, full tethering or mobile hotspot included, 1GB would be 5€ extra i think), texting flat, landline flat, same carrier flat and one other carrier of my choice flat.. no phone included.

PS: just a simple question but how can a carrier see or block any tethering and charge extra for it, a technical question. i mean everything still routes over the phone (with something like a mobile wifi hotspot). And most modern smartphone are capable of doing the same things as full PCs, its just more comfortable to do it on a tablet or notebook. So how do they detect that the website that is accessed by the smartphone is done by the phones browser or a other device accessing it.
    Last edited by Sonic-NKT; 10-23-12 at 07:15 PM.
    10-23-12 06:54 PM

There are apps in every field you can imagine that have no equivalent on the PlayBook. It is doing maybe a tenth of what the hardware is capable of because of the lack of software. Productivity apps are one example, things like mind mapping and outlining work great on tablets, but the PlayBook options are awful. The PlayBook shoots 1080p video but there is no way to edit it. It shoots good photos, but the only photo editing apps are simple filter-based ones, nothing with layers.

I will use audio as an example as I am a podcaster and musician. I can edit podcasts completely on an iPad, and, yes, I put out several episodes a week, I edit three podcasts. There is no way to do this on the PlayBook. Podcast editing is pretty simple though, I can also edit music, there are multitrack editors including one which can do 48 tracks in professional quality. Again, nothing close. When I travel, I take a guitar, I use AmpKit+, which has a large collection of amp simulations and effects. With that and a powered speaker for an iOS device, I don't have to carry effects, an amp, or a tuner or metronome.

Onre of my favorite PlayBook music apps is MorphWiz Play, a synth app developed by Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater. It is useful for anyone from professionals to kids. Even in this case, which is the rare one where the PlayBook has a good app, iOS has a more full featured verison, MorphWiz.

The PlayBook is behind software-wise in everything from the common apps that everyone mentions - Skype (absolutely essential for me), Kindle, Netflix all the way down to the very specific niche apps that it only makes sense to develop for tablets that sell in the tens of millions.
    Last edited by bdegrande; 10-25-12 at 02:04 PM.
    Sonic-NKT likes this.
    10-23-12 06:54 PM
63 123