I am editing my post as it seems to be annoying people, I was not having "a rant". I have been using Playbook since it came out. Ideal for my work and home use. Easily streaming video etc, which I need for work. We needed a new tablet for work and decided to try the new Ipad, it cost �479. Absolutely not worth that amount of money. Pretty to look at and for browsing from the sofa etc good enough. Absolutely not good enough for my work needs. The Playbook is a much superior "work horse" for a fraction of the price, I returned the Ipad and purchased a 64g Playbook for �110, an absolute bargain. That was my first experience with Apple, one which I will not be repeating. I am aware that many millions love the Ipad and everything Apple, I am not one of these people, I am glad I tried the Ipad and the Apple "Experience", its not for me.
    Last edited by peacebelfast; 10-22-12 at 06:53 AM.
    10-22-12 05:25 AM
    Having never used Apple products myself I'm curious to hear what, specifically you found lacking in the iPad. What can't it do that the PlayBook can? This isn't a dig, btw.
    10-22-12 05:41 AM
    No offense but where is your problem with the ipad? You just say the apple store people annoyed you...
    Its a different tablet with another OS, the hardware is much better than the one in the playbook, well its a much newer device and way more expensive and no other tablet has that much quality apps available. I can understand that some dont like the apple ecosystem but you dont have to use it if you dont want to...
    Why is apple trying to make you spend more money with the ipad? Because of the appstore or itunes app? Similar apps are on every other tablet.

Im not an apple fanboy and dont own a ipad (to big imo and to expensive) but its not a bad device and this just sounds like a stupid rant...
    10-22-12 05:44 AM
    I understand for frustration with the iPAD3. It is far too expensive for what you get. I further dislike Apple's corporate philosophy of fleecing the customer every step of the way so much so that they poorly support their native software. When you compare the tablets, my impression is that the playbook wins on price, Native App support, power use and UI experience. Apple wins on a modestly more diverse App store. Hardware is a little bit better on the newer IPAD3 but I would argue that these resources are poorly utilized (sort of explains the poor battery life). My view is that if you are willing to live with a work around for SKYPE, then the playbook wins.

The truth is that the natural price for a tablet is something around 200-250 dollars given it's current level of functionality. It is no accident that Apple is bringing in the mini iPAD and willing to sacrifice prices margins on the iPAD3. The iPAD3 had its day but in today's world, it looks clunky and outdated. The 7 inch form factor is where the action is.
    10-22-12 07:03 AM
    Thank you for replying, I agree with everything you say. Unlike a lot of people I am not overly interested in thousands of apps and I have found all the apps I require for the Blackberry Playbook. Apple are great at marketing, and I fully agree that they try and fleece the customer - doing so under the guise of "Mr Nice Guy". I repeat that I am glad I tried out the Ipad, it just confirms for me how good Playbook is. When I purchased my first Playbook I had trouble with WIFI, RIM telephoned me on many occasions and stayed on the job until everything was sorted. Also after the initial "free" support period they continued to give help and support with other problems free of charge.
    FSeverino likes this.
    10-22-12 07:19 AM
    Couldn't you have demoed it at the store for a while before deciding to purchase it? I suppose it'll be sent back to Apple and they'll sell it as refurbished. Having said that, the Playbook does have a huge (unintentional) advantage: its price. Despite the smaller screen and lack of apps, it's 1/6 the cost of an iPad which makes its flaws easier to overlook. It also packs a lot of power and is able to suit most user's needs.
    10-22-12 07:24 AM
    [/b] ;7689238]I understand for frustration with the iPAD3. It is far too expensive for what you get. I further dislike Apple's corporate philosophy of fleecing the customer every step of the way so much so that they poorly support their native software. When you compare the tablets, my impression is that the playbook wins on price, Native App support, power use and UI experience. Apple wins on a modestly more diverse App store. Hardware is a little bit better on the newer IPAD3 but I would argue that these resources are poorly utilized (sort of explains the poor battery life). My view is that if you are willing to live with a work around for SKYPE, then the playbook wins.

The truth is that the natural price for a tablet is something around 200-250 dollars given it's current level of functionality. It is no accident that Apple is bringing in the mini iPAD and willing to sacrifice prices margins on the iPAD3. The iPAD3 had its day but in today's world, it looks clunky and outdated. The 7 inch form factor is where the action is.
    I own both an iPad 3 and a PlayBook and I love the 7" form factor. Your notions that the PlayBook wins on native app support and that Apple has a modestly more diverse App Store are the most bizarre things that I have ever read on these forums.
    10-22-12 09:19 AM
    I agree. The Apple philosophy is how we consumers view as customer service. Not just genius bar or tech support. It's how they add every little thing every year to fleece the customers for more money. When you purchase an I Pad it's naked. Remember the IPOD? Only one model came with the charger adapter, every other model you have to get your own. With Playbook it comes with a Neoprene case and usb cable and charger. It's little things like that reflects the attitude of a company. Every time Apple upgrade it's I Pod touch, the change of the size require me to purchase new skin for it. It's great capitalism at work. But as consumer I am not going to keep doling out money to out fit my devices. I purchase an Imac a few years ago and did not extend the warranty, slightly over a year the defective of the Imac screen begin to surface. Of course I'm on my own to replace the screen. As the end user I dont think we should be rolling the dice and take a chance on a product that might be defectively manufacture. I can understand the wear and tear from usage. For this reason, I decided to curb my spending on company like Apple.
    Jonesy1966 and bb624 like this.
    10-22-12 09:22 AM
    I own both an iPad 3 and a PlayBook and I love the 7" form factor. Your notions that the PlayBook wins on native app support and that Apple has a modestly more diverse App Store are the most bizarre things that I have ever read on these forums.
    I agree, and I have read many, many bizarre things.
    10-22-12 09:23 AM
    The big difference between ipad and playbook is browsing.... With playbook I can almost use the Internet as I would using a PC, with ipad and all apple products I would be getting a error "download flash " and just stock using a app even to watch vettle.com which I can just browse on my playbook, but ipad obligate me to use vettle app. If RIM can fix the annoying chekboard and of course Skype or any other cross platform video chat playbook would be better than any laptop for browsing
    peacebelfast, kbz1960, MTL and 1 others like this.
    10-22-12 09:36 AM
    Once you go Black(berry) you'll never go back!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-22-12 09:49 AM
    So basically all you're looking for is a device to browse the internet ?
    10-22-12 09:52 AM
    Clearly you have been avoiding all of my posts.
    10-22-12 09:53 AM
    Really, so how is that unified inbox coming along on the iPAD. Right, it isn't. So let's talks Apps. 400-500K of dead Apps in the iStore. Now there is a selling feature.

All sarcasism aside, Apple's App store is modestly stronger if you are willing to wade through all the junk. As research analysis has shown over, and over and over, approximately 150 apps make up 90-95 percentage all downloads. This is what RIM needs to focus on.
    10-22-12 10:01 AM
    The big difference between ipad and playbook is browsing.... With playbook I can almost use the Internet as I would using a PC, with ipad and all apple products I would be getting a error "download flash " and just stock using a app even to watch vettle.com which I can just browse on my playbook, but ipad obligate me to use vettle app.
    But if the website requires Silverlight, then you'ld be thankful if there are apps for that website. And for websites such as Crackberry or Fox news, the browsing on the iPad actually works better. Let's not even get into basic things like bookmark management, Find on page, and going to the top of the page.

The integration that Chrome provides is so useful that I've given up Firefox and use Chrome on the Windows and mac desktops, and all of my mobile devices. Having synced bookmarks, synced tabs, and synced history is just so convenient and saves a lot of time.

The PB does flash really well. While I can run flash on the Galaxy S3, the PB browser feels faster and more responsive. However flash is dying and on its way out. Every reputable web presence is moving away from it. Cross-browser support is always desired, and the first requirement on the list isto make it work with the iPad?
    richardat likes this.
    10-22-12 10:12 AM
    Flash, like RIM, is not dead yet.
    10-22-12 06:29 PM
    Even though flash is not important, it is quite nice to save eh
    10-22-12 07:48 PM
    I can see for magazines where the size of the Ipad would be nicer, but, otherwise, I like the smaller PB size. I'd be curious from the OP what his work use is.

I know for me, 90% of my home computer use is now done on my playbook instead of laptop (if I could print directly to my wireless printer, that # would be even higher ). I've only played with ipads in stores - actually went to buy one, and after playing, couldn't bring myself to spend the money for what I was getting, compared to the playbook.
    THBW likes this.
    10-22-12 08:49 PM
    Boy, it seems the iF ANs are getting a bit touchy.
    10-22-12 09:34 PM
    I recently realized I was addicted to the internetz (Yeah I know, right?), which explains why I prefer my Playbook over my iPad. It's funny cuz I couldn't quite understand why at first, but then I realized The Bridge + Bold 9930 = Internet Heaven for mobile web junkies like me. I know, I know.. I need help, but Chrome isn't helping me kick my internet habits either :smdh:
    10-22-12 10:15 PM
    I can see for magazines where the size of the Ipad would be nicer, but, otherwise, I like the smaller PB size. I'd be curious from the OP what his work use is.

I know for me, 90% of my home computer use is now done on my playbook instead of laptop (if I could print directly to my wireless printer, that # would be even higher ). I've only played with ipads in stores - actually went to buy one, and after playing, couldn't bring myself to spend the money for what I was getting, compared to the playbook.
    Which wireless printer do you have ? I just bought me a new LaserJet Pro printer and can print wirelessly from my non PB tablet. I just want to find out if it's the PB or the printer keeping you from printing.
    10-23-12 01:09 AM
    LMAO @ claiming the iPad has 'poor battery life'

The iPad still remains one of the gold standards for battery life...well superior to that of the PlayBook.

Why do people have to tell deliberate untruths to support their electronic device of choice? That just seems so pathetic...
    10-23-12 04:17 AM
    I think it more and more common knowledge that apple does a Tick/Tock update cycle. I got the iPad 2 not the 3 but will look at the 4.

Also you never answered what the Playbook did that the iPad didn't for your needs. I'm not trying to start a war but I have seen many instances where people say that the (insert Idevice here) doesn't do this or that when in reality it does do that.

Flash? Are we still on that?

I believe that the iPad is plenty powerful and those that mention price. Remember the Playbook was the same price as the ipad but didn't sell so they had to lower the price. So I think it's a little unfair to classify the Playbook as a $200 dollar tablet when it was not that from the beginning.
    10-23-12 08:42 AM
    Yes, we're still on Flash. See, like it or not, Flash is still a big part of the web. It doesn't matter that it's (slowly) on its way out -- it's still a major part of the web today, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. The iPad doesn't do flash and thus provides an inferior web browsing experience.

On alternatives to Flash, again the iPad is lagging. Outside iAds, for example, the iPad does not support WebGL content. The PlayBook, in contrast, has excellent WebGL support.

Want more?

How about the advantages of a user accessible file system? Fun story: While traveling a colleague of mine needed to send a spreadsheet back to the office. He had a laptop, an iPhone, a good 3G signal, but no wifi. He could not send the file. I connected by BlackBerry, copied the file to my SD card, and emailed the file to his iPhone so he could send the file (forward with attachments). Now, that's not tablet related, but the point is that not having a user accessible file system makes many common tasks impossible on iOS; be it via the iPhone or iPad.

Dig through the posts here and you could easily put together a long list of things that their PlayBook can do that the iPad can not, but I think the point has been made well enough.
    ralfyguy and hpjrt like this.
    10-23-12 12:37 PM
    Glad to see you returned the ipad and came to your senses. The Iexperience is overated by the Ipeople.
    10-23-12 12:41 PM
63 123