These are different although it is not obvious. Powering off and on is cleaner start and can eliminate some software problems that the restart option can't deal with.
    04-13-12 11:31 PM
    I think you need to provide at least some form of evidence before your claim has any standing... Observations? Inside knowledge? Read it in a blog somewhere?
    04-14-12 12:24 AM
    I think you need to provide at least some form of evidence before your claim has any standing... Observations? Inside knowledge? Read it in a blog somewhere?
    I concur......

Nexus S 4G
    04-14-12 12:42 AM
    In my experience it has resolved a problem with the PlayBook accessing my usual wireless network. The wireless receiver on the PlayBook seems to quit sometimes. Restart wouldn't do it but on off seemed to reset it to operate again. Also had similar situation with Kindle sideloaded app repeatedly hanging even after restarts but problem cured with on off procedure. It also seemed to be the cure for a common problem people seem to be having with email getting error about not being able to access server. This seemed to again be resolved for me but on off cycle rather than the reset... These experiences lead me to my conclusion.
    jamesbondOO7 and peter9477 like this.
    04-14-12 02:57 AM
    Check out this thread for more discussion:

| http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-resets-689646
    peter9477 and Perogy01 like this.
    04-14-12 05:50 AM
    Perogy01, thanks for expanding on your description. What you describe is certainly possible.

Note that doing a reset, as opposed to a restart, would very likely give the same results as powering off for such cases, for reasons explained in the thread VerryBestr linked.
    04-14-12 07:43 AM
    Powering down does help.

I installed the Droid app BeWeather and it ran terrible. Crashing all over the place.

Did a full power down, let it sit for a while then powered it back up.
    BeWeather seemed to like it and has not crashed since. So far.

So doing a full power down and back up does help to settle things in.

Tim
    04-14-12 08:26 AM
    Powering down does help.

I installed the Droid app BeWeather and it ran terrible. Crashing all over the place.

Did a full power down, let it sit for a while then powered it back up.
    BeWeather seemed to like it and has not crashed since. So far.

So doing a full power down and back up does help to settle things in.

Tim
    And is powering down and restarting in any way different than a hard reset?
    04-14-12 10:47 AM
    And is powering down and restarting in any way different than a hard reset?
    It is theoretically possible, but highly unlikely that it would account for the things trsbbs describes.

It's far more likely that it's a simple case of "correlation does not imply causation". That's pretty common with anecdotal reports of magic fixes for things, including in my opinion the reports that a "hard reset" fixed things where powering off did not (i.e. the reverse situation from this one).

The reason it's possible is that when you do a reset, the power is not actually removed from all the chips, and certain "state" can in theory be preserved through a reset differently than it would through a power off/on cycle. It's extremely rare to see something like this actually show up in user-visible behaviour differences, and it would be generally considered a hardware bug by the chip manufacturers, to be fixed in a subsequent revision of the mask used to create the circuitry in the silicon of the chip.
    04-14-12 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD