Thanks Patrick, I appreciate you taking the time to do that! If you say you're on .358 too (I am on .358) then I am lost...LOL! I hope you meant to say .668 and not .358...could you please clarify that? Thank you.
    My PB is on .358. When I wrote "not like you on 668", I was referring to Eli.

My point is that I can use the "n" band just fine, no problem. Not confusing at all. I thought this was your issue. I thought you were wondering if the PB wifi would work ok with "n" on .358. The answer is yes, it does work really well with my DIR-825 router from D-Link.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 09-20-12 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Fix typo
    09-20-12 03:13 PM
    My PB is on .358. When I wrote "not like you on 668", I was referring to Eli.

My point is that I can use the "n" band just fine, no problem. Not confusing at all. Inthought this was your issue. I thought you were wondering if the PB wifi would work ok with "n" on .358. The answer is yes, it does work really well with my DIR-825 router from D-Link.
    Thanks for clarification, ya we just had our wires crossed. I am perplexed then that .358 will work on the DIR-825 at N speeds and not affect other machines/devices on your network. I am talking with another person over on the main Blackberry support forums who is having the sames issues as I am too. We're trying to work our way through the issue. It's very frustrating.

There is some setting that is different...I can't put my finger on it, but something, somewhere is not 100% the same. It's either a router setting (most likely) or the Playbook device itself...I am chasing my tail in circles.
    09-20-12 03:23 PM
    Look, chaos, there is no need for you to chase your tail.

Attached is a screenshot from my DIR-825 status screen. If you compare these settings with yours, you might find a clue to which setting is causing your problem.
    09-20-12 07:02 PM
    Look, chaos, there is no need for you to chase your tail.

Attached is a screenshot from my DIR-825 status screen. If you compare these settings with yours, you might find a clue to which setting is causing your problem.
    Patrick, I really appreciate you doing that but I was wondering if you could post a screenshot of the wireless settings themselves that list the cipher type you chose. I mean I can infer most of the things you chose because I've been at this a while but to see them would help. In the screenshot you attached it's the fifth menu item down from the top in the left hand navigation menu (near the bottom of the list). It has all the actual settings on it you have selected. If you could do that for me I would really appreciate it. Then I could match both screenshots.

There may be a third area under ADVANCED main heading that has advanced wireless settings too which I think (doing this from memory at the moment) has something like short GI and WMM settings too...those have been two of the problem settings we've run into that are causing problems. If they are checked off, the computers connect fine at N speeds, but the playbook doesn't. Unchecked, Playbook has N speeds but the computers won't connect at all - like no wireless at all.

Thanks again Patrick for your help!
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 09-20-12 at 07:28 PM.
    09-20-12 07:21 PM
    If you look at your own post # 17, above, where you quote one of my previous posts, you will see that I have already spelled out those settings. But, in an effort to go the extra mile to help a fellow PB owner, here are the wireless screenshots.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    09-20-12 07:38 PM
    If you look at your own post # 17, above, where you quote one of my previous posts, you will see that I have already spelled out those settings. But, in an effort to go the extra mile to help a fellow PB owner, here are the wireless screenshots.
    Thanks PatrickMJS. Well as I said something is different and I have to figure it out...so I appreciate you taking the time to post those images. I will go and try them out now. I hope it works.
    09-20-12 09:39 PM
    Thanks for your reply Eli.Bret - sincerely. I haven't given up yet and will eventually hunt this gremlin down (and if I figure it out, I will post detailed information here). But for now I have just let things work at G speeds. It works well but transferring files to and from the device over wi-fi is slow but otherwise it works fine. The device itself is a joy to use otherwise. I never use my Touchpad now.

If you don't mind and have the time, I am curious to ask you to check something on the Playbook. Under the gear icon (Playbook settings - top right corner of interface) please go to Wi-Fi and under Diagnostic Information choose Wi-Fi Information from the dropdown menu and scroll down to Network Type. Does it indeed show 802.11 n? What is the connection rate? Just curious. I know mine says 802.11g and the connection rate says 54 Mbps right above it. I am using a security type of WPA2 Personal.

Anyhow, I hear that the 2.1 OS release may help me in this situation. So I am hoping it drops soon so I can try it out. By the way I am running 2.0.1.358 and not OS 2.0.1.668 so maybe .668 does the trick too? Anyhow, I'll hold out a few days here for the 2.1 release and report back.
    Please see the attachements to clarify my settings.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    09-20-12 10:24 PM
    I wish to thank you two so much! Sincerely, I realize this is a PITA bigtime, but it helped me tremendously.

I have managed to get everything online on the SAME network now at N speeds on the D-link 825. One of my desktops gets 144 Mbps. My laptop only gets 65 Mbps though but the Playbook now gets 65 Mbps!!! That's up from 54 Mbps on G speeds.

The problem seemed to be the channel width setting. It was really the only different setting I had to change. If I set it to Auto 20/40 MHz, it would kill the Playbook connection rate. I mean web pages wouldn't ever fully load and the blue status bar would never reach the end of the interface. It would just stall out. Didn't matter which webpage I loaded either.

Now, the laptop took a speed hit by doing this setting change though. It went from 144 Mbps down to 65 Mbps and would not go any higher with this channel width change unless I turned it to 40 MHz or to 20/40 MHz. Again, if I did this, the Playbook connection stopped...

I also didn't touch any other default setting with the router. WMM remained enabled and Short GI also remained enabled.

So that's awesome and I am very pleased! So again gentlemen, thank you very much for your help!

(I have attached my settings to this post in case they help others in future - it's unfortunate that they are not high resolution but that's the limitation on dimensions imposed on the Crackberry Forums. I will see if I can post these images to the official Blackberry support forum thread I had going over there and link to it in this post. Update: here is a link to the post I made http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...1914499#M46131.)
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 09-21-12 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Added image quality notes.
    09-20-12 11:56 PM
    Thank you very much for solution appreciate your help
    12-02-12 09:44 PM
    I'm going to try this. (All my devices work on my Home router (Bold9900/laptops/iPadetc) but I have to stick a pen into the reset button everytime I want to use the Playbook. (which is getting less and less..)
    Stupid question though. How do I log into my router? Do I just go in through one of my laptops or do I have to connect it via a cable or something .
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by scott99lee; 12-05-12 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    12-05-12 02:42 PM
    I had wifi drop out from time to time, so after reading this thread, I changed the router settings from WPA to WPA2 with AES. Now my laptops work fine on the network, but the Playbook will not connect at all

I posted more detail here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9/#post7764980

Not to worry - got it working.
    Last edited by kwelamnp; 12-05-12 at 08:44 PM.
    12-05-12 08:27 PM
    It's true that you kind of get less and less interested by your PB when experiencing wifi connection problems.

Everything in my home hooks on the network perfectly: PS3, laptops, ipods, iphone, and my Torch 9810. Not my PB. When it does detect the network at all, it only shows one level of connectivity (weak connectivity), and of course browser speed is soso... If I want it to hookup, I go right by the router, then I have a few feet liberty to use the PB on wifi. I imagine that often, it is my bridged Torch that does all the browsing for the PB, not the wifi. But this has got to use data on my cell phone plan when it should not, because the PB should use wifi instead of bridge.

When I use the PB elsewhere, normally it works fine. I guess I should do a bit of observation to be sure about this. Be sure that it is not my Torch again that does the downloading.

So I'm going to read through this thread and try out changing the router settings, one after the other. And hope I get something out of this hassle. Still think it's a weakness of the PB. Have had mine for at least a year, and it was never reliable on wifi.
    01-20-13 08:16 AM
    Sounds like you should've called RIM a long time ago as it sounds like maybe a hardware issue. I do think if your phone is on wifi and you're bridged you're using wifi thru your phone, the bad about that is you're limited to Bluetooth speed instead of wifi speed on your pb.
    01-20-13 08:27 AM
    There it is, sitting right by the router with a full 4 bars connectivity symbol...

You may be right kbz... I would be curious to have another PB with me when testing the router changes, to see if it's a matter of chip, or a matter of the PB being just weak compared to the competition (ipods etc...), wifi-receptivity-speaking.

I can watch tv-programs wireless online using my laptop in the house. It is definitely not a matter of router, but a matter of the PB constantly disconnecting (can see it when I read the log) and badly receiving the network signal.
    01-20-13 05:54 PM
    Mine has a fair signal back in my bedroom with the router in the dinning room with 2 walls and 2 closets in between.
    01-20-13 09:33 PM
    Mmmmm. I don't know of anyone else with a PB around me. Glad to know the tablet can actually perform... brings back some confidence that was slowly going, going...

I'm hundreds of miles away from the store where I bought my PB, probably more that a year away from the date of purchase, and I have a feeling that if I send it by mail for inspection, they're going to say that everything is fine.

Either I solve this issue by changing router settings, or I am patient and wait until I get my next PB to get good wifi performance.

Do you really call RIM when you have a problem with your BB devices? I don't recall that's possible...
    01-20-13 10:32 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD