Microwaves are ideal to get rid of the moisture, and warm ones socks and undercrackers on a cold and frosty morning. Perhaps a new thread..... 101 unsual microwave tips!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-24-13 02:57 PM
    Microwaves are ideal to get rid of the moisture, and warm ones socks and undercrackers on a cold and frosty morning. Perhaps a new thread..... 101 unsual microwave tips!
    Easy for you to say. I haven't got one. Just went to the local office licence and they don't sell them. How can I unfreeze my brie now.
    02-24-13 03:07 PM
    Normally i would suggest down the front of your freshly warmed undercrackers, enhances the flavour! Could try the local mobile phone transmitter.
    sad_old_man and FF22 like this.
    02-24-13 03:11 PM
    And I whole heartedly agree with whatever it was that happened. YOU KILLED A CORNISH PASTY.

Anyway I'm in a hurry so tonight your sins are forgiven and the pasties family forgive you as well.

Right, that said just give me some time boys. I'm just popping out to the deli for some frozen brie and donuts so I can try that microwave thingy with them like F2 did.
    Please, I know you are reluctant to take advice, but please ply yourself with enuogh liquor so that you are loose and limber so that when the microwave explodes, you can roll with the "punches" as it were.
    02-24-13 03:15 PM
    Normally i would suggest down the front of your freshly warmed undercrackers, enhances the flavour! Could try the local mobile phone transmitter.
    Well how about this then smarty pants. Studied the equipment in the kitchen and analyse the problem. Solution place the frozen brie into the kettle. Fill with water and switch on. Haa Haa job done. Now retire to the conservatory and have a well deserved bottle of hobgoblin while I wait for the kettle to boil. Violla!
    02-24-13 03:18 PM
    $20 for a bulb. New microwave is under 40.
    Here's a link to a UK version. But the one in my oven was 120v 20W. Could not locate it.

Signals UK - 20Watt 240V 2pin + 90Deg Bracket Microwave Lamp #03
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-24-13 03:20 PM
    Ive boiled eggs in the kettle; and at a push noodles. Never tried defrosting though.
    02-24-13 03:23 PM
    WASTED, not KILLED... there's a difference.

I don't think I can look.... I'm not good with pain, even other people's pain...F2, tell me when it's safe to open my eyes!
    Never in proximity to my self-repaired microwave oven.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-24-13 03:23 PM
    Never place a turkey leg wrapped in foil inside a microwave oven - my experience the first time ever using one - happened in my school's lunchroom. No one would go near it for the full 4 minutes I dialed it to run! (still can chuckle over that one)

As for drying socks - doesn't work too well as the fan is not really meant to deal with that level of moisture - don't ask me how I know...........
    02-24-13 03:27 PM
    Here's a link to a UK version. But the one in my oven was 120v 20W. Could not locate it.

Signals UK - 20Watt 240V 2pin + 90Deg Bracket Microwave Lamp #03
    Many thanks F2 but there seems two be two problems for me.

1. My kettle doesn't have a light inside it.
    2. If it did, we use 240v in the UK.

P's it will come in handy though when I come to chicago, if I ever get a microwave and it goes wrong.
    02-24-13 03:28 PM
    Me thinks F2 has a fixation with microwaves? If you ever go to Chicago Old Man id be wearing a tin foil hat
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-24-13 03:31 PM
    Me thinks F2 has a fixation with microwaves? If you ever go to Chicago Old Man id be wearing a tin foil hat
    Not likely. F2 will put me in his microwave
    02-24-13 03:36 PM
    Why not - things you put in their cavity get nice and warm!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-24-13 03:45 PM
    Not likely. F2 will put me in his microwave
    That foil-wrapped turkey leg was placed in a microwave in a school in the Loop of downtown Chicago - just saying. Of course, it was more than 30 years ago.
    02-24-13 03:47 PM
    Why not - things you put in their cavity get nice and warm!
    But your advice is flawed and doesn't work, well nearly doesn't work, well nearly worked but needed some help and ended up differently.

Firstly panini grills are no good for heating up jam donuts. Enough said about that!

Secondly the brie I put in the kettle ended up like a thick gloopy custard that tasted like brie. At that point I had a revelation.

Remove plastic brie wrapper from thick gloopy mess in kettle. Add pepper, salt, Worcester sauce, add half a bottle of chardonnay and a liberal sprinkling of brandy (not French, they stole my audio boost button). switch the kettle back on and while waiting for it to boil, make some toast and cut into cubes. Result is something that tastes similar to that strange dish that they eat in Switzerland that I can't spell.

You do have a lot to answer for F2
    02-24-13 03:59 PM
    But your advice is flawed and doesn't work, well nearly doesn't work, well nearly worked but needed some help and ended up differently.

Firstly panini grills are no good for heating up jam donuts. Enough said about that!

Secondly the brie I put in the kettle ended up like a thick gloopy custard that tasted like brie. At that point I had a revelation.

Remove plastic brie wrapper from thick gloopy mess in kettle. Add pepper, salt, Worcester sauce, add half a bottle of chardonnay and a liberal sprinkling of brandy (not French, they stole my audio boost button). switch the kettle back on and while waiting for it to boil, make some toast and cut into cubes. Result is something that tastes similar to that strange dish that they eat in Switzerland that I can't spell.

NOT "raclette."
    02-24-13 04:16 PM
    NOT "raclette."
    Don't know I can't spell it but the dip pieces of bread stuck on sticks into it.
    02-24-13 04:19 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the most useful crackberry thread?
    02-24-13 04:38 PM
    Bringing this thread full-circle...

When I was a young engineer, I was working with radar (don't ask!). In case you didn't know, radar operates at microwave frequencies. When we felt a bit peckish during a long day, it became the "done thing" to place a Cornish pastie in front of the transmitter and throw the switch. A short time later, a piping hot pastie was yours to enjoy.

Ermmm... Thing is... airborne radars don't generally come with a clock and a little bell that dings to tell you the food is cooked... and one day, the inevitable happened and the entire lab was filled with the stench of burning pastie.

Cue stiffly worded memo from management over misuse of company property and a ban on food in the lab. LOL
    What I used to do as a teenager in my little 1969 mini Cooper ( which I still have) is stick my pie or pasty under the bonnet/hood. Get to where you are going and there it is - lunch.

Luxury
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-24-13 04:45 PM
    it's very helpful for safety precautions while cooking, something everyone does at least once in their lives
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-24-13 04:45 PM

Plastic wrapper? Doesn't brie come in little circular wooden boxes?

A top tip is to remove any wrappings. Then put the brie in an oven at around 180c until the wood browns on the outside. The natural oils from the wood and the charing will infuse the brie.

When the box is charred, not burned, remove from the oven. Discard the brie and eat the box
    ctuffy, sad_old_man and JeepBB like this.
    02-24-13 04:53 PM

I know you need to get a microwave but surely you will need a new kettle now. Best way to clean it is with petrol. Bring to boil, lift lid and chuck in a burning match. Job done. I will visit you in hospital with a large bottle of brandy.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-24-13 05:20 PM
    I know you need to get a microwave but surely you will need a new kettle now. Best way to clean it is with petrol. Bring to boil, lift lid and chuck in a burning match. Job done. I will visit you in hospital with a large bottle of brandy.
    Hmmm, this thread is most interesting, and extremely instructive, but I feel it should come with a health warning, and a rather large disclaimer!!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-25-13 06:48 AM
    I have not entered any particular quote from an individual member because, a) I loved every post, b) your all as mad as each other.

I must say though that I am very upset because I feel a conspiracy building up on this thread that I would like to put a stop to immediately, if not before that time. I am regarded as the most stupid, idiotic, half baked, non functional ******** member on this hallowed forum and and attempt to overthrow my rule will be vigorously defended. Maybe even with a jam donut duel at dawn, so beware all aspiring conspirators.

I would just like to thank F2 while I'm here for being responsible single handedly for me having to go out this morning and buy a new panini grill, new kettle and a microwave. (won't blame you for the microwave F2 because I never had one before) but I will get you when I come to chicago!
    02-25-13 07:12 AM
    who the **** took a bite outta my pastry????....and its a BIG bite too!

Now I am hungry

Attachment 137507
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-25-13 07:40 AM
291 ... 34567 ...