There're a number of reports about a possible partnership between rim and Amazon. This could serve two purposes in my opinion. First, it would create an immediate and healthy ecosystem for the blackberry playbook. Books, movies and applications all in one place, simple and easy to purchase and download. This first aspect may help in pushing playbook sales.

The second aspect is something I would love to see happen but is highly improbable. I'd like to see the blackberry bridge on the Kindle fire. Market it as 3G access from your Kindle fire through a BlackBerry smart phone. It wouldn't do anything to sell playbooks but it would probably sell a lot of BlackBerry phones.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    purijagmohan likes this.
    12-21-11 08:03 AM
    Bridge will probably not make it to the Fire unless the Fire adopts QNX. The whole point of Bridge is the security it offers for the data on the phone. I doubt if RIM will allow it on an unsecure tablet running a derivative of an open source os.
    12-21-11 08:10 AM
    I think RIM already burned that bridge...
    peter9477 likes this.
    12-21-11 08:12 AM
    My thinking is I don't want to see my BB/PB screens as a virtual dumping ground for non stop banner ads from Amazon. Amazon charges a premium for the same Kindle model if you want to forgo their ads, and I wouldn't want to see that happening for owners of Playbook and BB phones. A partnership might be a good thing, providing the financial benefits are in RIM's favor (RIM getting a larger piece of the app pie for apps sold via a RIM device), and not create an increase in ownership costs for RIM users.
    12-21-11 08:16 AM
    I just don't see a merger adding features to old products.
    12-21-11 08:26 AM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    nothin from Amazon i want ...
    12-21-11 08:33 AM
    Insightful, although I think you might be missing the point. it's not whether or not YOU personally would want anything from Amazon, it's whether or not you think a partnership of some kind would be benificial to RIM in the long run. Put your own needs/wants aside and think about the platform as a whole.

I'm not talking about a buyout, just a marketing/ecosystem partnership.

nothin from Amazon i want ...
    12-21-11 08:39 AM
    I guess it would give the playbook and phones more content but would do nothing for apps except for kindle. Not sure maybe for someone that all ready uses Amazon for those things but isn't there a chance that could hurt Fire sales except for those wanting the apps? The playbook is a far better tablet in specs and hardware alone.

As for a bridge app if possible wouldn't someone just get a playbook if they have access to all of the content other than the android apps and if Feb. brings the new OS and apps?
    12-21-11 08:49 AM
    .As for a bridge app if possible wouldn't someone just get a playbook if they have access to all of the content other than the android apps and if Feb. brings the new OS and apps?
    The bridge aspect would be more of a way for RIM to move blackberrys IMO. If all these millions of Fire purchasers had an option to tether to a blackberry for free it might spur a number of them to adopt the phone and generate new customers for RIM. It would be a pretty good marketing ploy if you ask me. People are going to buy the Fire regardless so why not try to gain something from it.

12-21-11 08:58 AM
    The bridge aspect would be more of a way for RIM to move blackberrys IMO. If all these millions of Fire purchasers had an option to tether to a blackberry for free it might spur a number of them to adopt the phone and generate new customers for RIM. It would be a pretty good marketing ploy if you ask me. People are going to buy the Fire regardless so why not try to gain something from it.

So does the bridge include everything or just browsing? Couldn't people all ready wifi hotspot to their phone? This can also be done for free if you know how. Trying to look at it from different perspectives.
    12-21-11 09:05 AM
    So does the bridge include everything or just browsing? Couldn't people all ready wifi hotspot to their phone? This can also be done for free if you know how. Trying to look at it from different perspectives.
    Bridge is just an application linked to the blackberry so it could include everything that the current bridge includes. They'd just have to write the app for the Fire.

I know that this can be accomplished with wifi hotspot, it would merely be another option and a way for RIM to gain access to a massive user base to market their phones to. If 1% of the Fire purchasers took advantage of a blackberry tie in to get 3G access, RIM would be quite happy I'm sure.

The way I look at it we cannot count on the playbook being a financial success so branching out a little to increase their smartphone user base can't hurt.

Last edited by xandermac; 12-21-11 at 09:14 AM.
    12-21-11 09:11 AM
    Rather then a partnership with Amazon, I would prefer that an app would be offered that would allow bridging with any smartphone on the market; surely, those with non-BB phones would take a second look at the PB if they knew they could bridge effortlessly with their droids, iPhones, etc.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-21-11 09:16 AM
    That would be nice but would not help RIM in any way, that maket is tiny compared to the number of Fire purchasers. RIM need to sell Phones! The PlayBook has proven to be a loss leader already. A amazon partnership might help to move a few extra PlayBooks but I'm certain it could move a ton of blackberries with the right marketing approach. Giving PlayBook owners the option to tether to any phone is the reverse of what RIM needs to do. Whereas giving Fire owners the option to pick up a blackberry to gain addition features, that might help the bottom line. RIM have to sell phones and they need a hook to do it.

Rather then a partnership with Amazon, I would prefer that an app would be offered that would allow bridging with any smartphone on the market; surely, those with non-BB phones would take a second look at the PB if they knew they could bridge effortlessly with their droids, iPhones, etc.
    12-21-11 09:36 AM
    Bridge is just an application linked to the blackberry so it could include everything that the current bridge includes. They'd just have to write the app for the Fire.

I know that this can be accomplished with wifi hotspot, it would merely be another option and a way for RIM to gain access to a massive user base to market their phones to. If 1% of the Fire purchasers took advantage of a blackberry tie in to get 3G access, RIM would be quite happy I'm sure.

The way I look at it we cannot count on the playbook being a financial success so branching out a little to increase their smartphone user base can't hurt.

I can see some of that. One thing that does bother me about the playbook is that it is always portrayed as RIM's demise when they make many more phones. The playbook all though viewed as RIM's biggest mistake is actually RIM's rebirth. Without it they would never have a competitive OS etc. for their future phones.

Sorry for getting off topic.
    12-21-11 09:36 AM
    But I thought that the KF was running on android? If this were to happen, that would be a fine line for RIM to walk of licensing out their QNX based OS to the Fire.

IMHO, I wouldn't think they should go that far. I mean, when the PB was announced, Amazon was supposed to have a deal with RIM for a PB app... and then they renegged on that and released their own tablet eerily similar to the PB... kinda shady to me, and then kind of "tail between your legs" to go to Amazon with your OS, and their "less than" hardware to make a deal... I dunno... in the end I wouldn't do it. I would focus more on improving what you have to make it stronger, not just better.

If RIM starts to license apps out, then the first one I would go for is Bridge... this way people that think you "need" a BB to use the PB, can still experience the PB with whatever platform they already have.

just my .02.
    12-21-11 09:43 AM
    But I thought that the KF was running on android? If this were to happen, that would be a fine line for RIM to walk of licensing out their QNX based OS to the Fire.

IMHO, I wouldn't think they should go that far. I mean, when the PB was announced, Amazon was supposed to have a deal with RIM for a PB app... and then they renegged on that and released their own tablet eerily similar to the PB... kinda shady to me, and then kind of "tail between your legs" to go to Amazon with your OS, and their "less than" hardware to make a deal... I dunno... in the end I wouldn't do it. I would focus more on improving what you have to make it stronger, not just better.

If RIM starts to license apps out, then the first one I would go for is Bridge... this way people that think you "need" a BB to use the PB, can still experience the PB with whatever platform they already have.

just my .02.
    It's not a matter of RIM licensing anything. It's about writing a bridge app for the Fire and telling Fire owners that if you buy a blackberry that you'll get all this additional functionality. It would also save amazon from having to make a 3G fire and get into carrier partnerships in the mean time. A win win for both is you ask me. Fire owners have the opportunity to get "free" 3G access and RIM get the opportunity to attract some new smartphone customers. A little cross marketing.

Like I said in the first post, improbable, but I'd like to see it.

Last edited by xandermac; 12-21-11 at 09:57 AM.
    12-21-11 09:52 AM
    Would this mean we could get playbooks shipped in a day?

I do like the combined power idea - but it would worry me if Amazon became the boss for their own self serving interests as opposed to RIM being the boss of a highly technical experienced company. It could dilute the innovation factor. Big companies tend to absorb, swallow, destroy and spit out small ones when this happens.

A partnership or licensing agreement maybe - a merge would scare me. RIM would no longer be RIM and would only be subservient to the whims of Amazon. Not sure I'd want to see the bridge on fire and burned.

Regarding the Kindle and bridge, does Kindle even have bluetooth? I suppose it would be cool, although it would not likely be to a blackberry or QNX phone - it would open the door to bridging to android phones instead. And there goes your security.

Not sure I would like to see bridges to other phones either - It is what makes blackberry stand out and unique - the tight integration of having both by the same designers on both ends is what makes it awesome and potentially more awesome .Besides - the other companies would have to admit that playbook doesn't suck and that RIM is a leader and innovator in technology.

They would not work with RIM on this. Blackberry bridge in the apple store? Ha! wont happen. Only ibridge to the iphone from the ipad.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-21-11 at 10:41 AM.
    12-21-11 10:31 AM
    Would this mean we could get playbooks shipped in a day?

I do like the combined power idea - but it would worry me if Amazon became the boss for their own self serving interests as opposed to RIM being the boss of a highly technical experienced company. It could dilute the innovation factor.

A partnership or licensing agreement maybe - a merge would scare me. RIM would no longer be RIM and would only be subservient to the whims of Amazon.

Regarding the Kindle and bridge, does Kindle even have bluetooth?

Not sure I would like to see bridges to other phones either - It is what makes blackberry stand out and unique the tight integration of having both by the same designers on both ends is what makes it awesome and potentially more awesome.
    I don't mean a merger, just a marketing tie in. Good point about bluetooth, I have no idea if it does actually have BT.
    12-21-11 10:35 AM
    well seeing as there is no bt on the fire, youre pretth much asking for the impossible.
    12-21-11 10:43 AM
    well seeing as there is no bt on the fire, youre pretth much asking for the impossible.
    There it is then. May as well delete this.
    12-21-11 10:50 AM
    check the more recent news, RIM shot Amazon's offer down. Amazon wanted to buy them outright IIRC
    12-21-11 11:00 AM
    The point of bridge is to NOT have to drag around or pay for a wifi hotspot...
    of course it would be beneficial to fire - but that's why there is a playbook.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-21-11 11:01 AM
    There it is then. May as well delete this.
    It's still a good topic.
    12-21-11 11:02 AM
    From what I understand talks of a buyout were shot down but talks of an ecosystem deal were still on the table.

check the more recent news, RIM shot Amazon's offer down. Amazon wanted to buy them outright IIRC
    12-21-11 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD