What is the procedure to remove the yellow lock on the Wi-Fi icon on the Wi-Fi Connectivity screen?

Thanks for your help.
    01-25-12 08:09 AM
    I dont think you can remove it. Unless you make your wifi network un-secure. Thats why its there, it shows that the network you are connected to is secure.........
    grnnreg likes this.
    01-25-12 08:12 AM
    BB support told me that the reason I can't establish the Wi-Fi connection between my PB and my computer is because I have to unlock the Wi-Fi network so that the desktop computer can see the PB.
    01-25-12 08:20 AM
    I googled your question and the first answer i got ,I am sure apples to you question.I probaly could have searched CB but google was handy.Try a google
    grnnreg likes this.
    01-25-12 08:22 AM
    BB support told me that the reason I can't establish the Wi-Fi connection between my PB and my computer is because I have to unlock the Wi-Fi network so that the desktop computer can see the PB.
    That's what vpblaze was telling you. You will have to turn off the security on your wifi network. That doesn't make much sense to do that, though. I think you asked Support the wrong question. I think what you really want to know is "How can I use wifi sharing between my PlayBook and my PC?" In that case, go to "Storage & Sharing" on the PlayBook and turn on Wi-Fi Sharing. You will have to set a password when you turn it on, and you will have to use that password on your PC when you try to access your PlayBook's files from your PC over wifi.

On your router settings, you will need to make sure you don't have "wireless segregation" (or some variation of that verbiage) turned on. If it's on, turn it off. However, based on how you asked your question, I would recommend you leave the router settings to someone with more experience. Otherwise, you're probably going to mess up your network.
    Last edited by tayl0rd; 01-25-12 at 08:42 AM.
    grnnreg likes this.
    01-25-12 08:40 AM
    That's what vpblaze was telling you. You will have to turn off the security on your wifi network. That doesn't make much sense to do that, though. I think you asked Support the wrong question. I think what you really want to know is "How can I use wifi sharing between my PlayBook and my PC?" In that case, go to "Storage & Sharing" on the PlayBook and turn on Wi-Fi Sharing. You will have to set a password when you turn it on, and you will have to use that password on your PC when you try to access your PlayBook's files from your PC over wifi.

On your router settings, you will need to make sure you don't have "wireless segregation" (or some variation of that verbiage) turned on. If it's on, turn it off. However, based on how you asked your question, I would recommend you leave the router settings to someone with more experience. Otherwise, you're probably going to mess up your network.
    You do not have to set a password for Wifi Sharing, although it will be recommended that you do so. It's possible that maybe they wanted the OP to turn off the password protection on the Wifi sharing if they had it turned on, but I'm not sure.
    grnnreg likes this.
    01-25-12 09:20 AM
    I think you guys have this going in right direction. I'm using WPA2 Personal encryption, and use WiFi sharing a lot. I also do *not* set a password. I'd rather turn it on for the short period of time when I need it and then off when I'm done.
    grnnreg likes this.
    01-25-12 09:38 AM
    This may not be the simplest answer, but it works for me. The part that threw me off is looking for the documents folder in the media folder. I hope this helps others.

The following sections outline different methods of transferring files to and from the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet.

Wi-Fi® Sharing

Complete the following steps to share files over a Wi-Fi connection:

From the BlackBerry PlayBook home screen, select the settings icon.
    Select Storage and Sharing.
    Toggle Wi-Fi Sharing to ON.
    Tap Properties to verify network identification information. (PlayBook name, password etc)
    From a Windows® or Mac based computer on the same network as the BlackBerry PlayBook, navigate to the IP address of the BlackBerry PlayBook which can be found under Settings > About > Network.
    On a Windows computer, open the Run dialog box and type file:\\127.1.1.1 or \\127.1.1.1 (where 127.1.1.1 should be replaced with the actual IP address of the BlackBerry PlayBook)
    On a Mac computer, select Go -> Connect to Server... and type smb://127.1.1.1 (where 127.1.1.1 should be replaced with the actual IP address of the BlackBerry PlayBook)
    When connecting to the media folder which contains several sub-folders such as documents, music, photos, videos, etc, the BlackBerry PlayBook user can then move files between the computer and these folders.
    01-25-12 04:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD