ok, i've downloaded a few .99� from the video store & they look, sound & play great,,, only thing is i'd like to remove the black bars on top & bottom of the screen without zooming, so i don't lose the whole picture, if you know what i mean,,, the bars are on the pb screen & also on my hdtv when connected via hdmi,,, i've tried all the different settings on the tv & play book, which when set to "fill", seems to work best, but i'd love to get the pb to go full screen, as the hd quality is so good...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 12-08-13 at 10:04 AM.
    12-07-13 04:38 PM
    That's a resolution issue. Your TV does not exactly matches the movies res so it "adds" bars to fill in the space.

You could try setting the HDMI to match the TV's res. Or get a new TV, but that would be going too far.

If you an find a fill option within your TV's menus, that would probably work (without distorting the movie too much).
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-07-13 04:47 PM
    ok, i've downloaded a few .99� from the video store & they look, sound & play great,,, only thing is i'd like to remove the black bars on top & bottom of the screen without zooming, so i don't lose the whole picture, if you know what i mean,,, the bars are on the pb screen & also on my hdtv when connected via hdmi,,, i've tried all the different settings on the tv & play book, which when set to "fill", seems to work best, but i'd love to get the pb to go full screen, as the hd quality is so good...

That's a resolution issue. Your TV does not exactly matches the movies res so it "adds" bars to fill in the space.

You could try setting the HDMI to match the TV's res. Or get a new TV, but that would be going too far.

If you an find a fill option within your TV's menus, that would probably work (without distorting the movie too much).
    the display is the same on the playbook,,, it's not the tv,,, the resolution matches when hooked up via hdmi,,, no prob there,,, & the tv is less tha a year old,,, it's got all the bells & goodies,,, it's the display of the playbook & how it plays the movie is where the solution lies...
    diegonei likes this.
    12-07-13 08:50 PM
    You could try sideloading mVideo Player, which has a stretch function that will allow you to fill the Playbooks screen. I kinda doubt it will play movies from the video store, though, since I don't think they're in a standard format, but it will work with normal vids.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-07-13 09:32 PM
    There is nothing wrong with the movie. That's how it is supposed to look. Most movies are filmed in an aspect ratio that is wider than your tv...which is 16:9. The movie is 2.39:1. When they make the file for the movie (or bluray or dvd) many studios choose to preserve the entire image which would not fit perfectly inside a 16:9 screen, so there is simply blank space on top and bottom (sort of a square peg, round hole issue). Some studios for some movies decide to cutoff the edges on each side so it fits perfectly in the standard tv size, but in some cases this cuts off critical information. Most movies you watch on tv, hbo etc have been chopped, or zoomed in, depending on how you want to describe it. You can always use your tvs zoom function if it bothers you to see the whole movie.
    12-07-13 09:59 PM
    You could try sideloading mVideo Player, which has a stretch function that will allow you to fill the Playbooks screen. I kinda doubt it will play movies from the video store, though, since I don't think they're in a standard format, but it will work with normal vids.
    you're right about the format,,, it's .ismv,,, never heard of it 'til i got a few movies from the vid store...
    12-08-13 07:00 AM
    There is nothing wrong with the movie. That's how it is supposed to look. Most movies are filmed in an aspect ratio that is wider than your tv...which is 16:9. The movie is 2.39:1. When they make the file for the movie (or bluray or dvd) many studios choose to preserve the entire image which would not fit perfectly inside a 16:9 screen, so there is simply blank space on top and bottom (sort of a square peg, round hole issue). Some studios for some movies decide to cutoff the edges on each side so it fits perfectly in the standard tv size, but in some cases this cuts off critical information. Most movies you watch on tv, hbo etc have been chopped, or zoomed in, depending on how you want to describe it. You can always use your tvs zoom function if it bothers you to see the whole movie.
    so i'm guessing this applies to movies downloaded to the playbook??? i understand there's nothing wrong w/ the movie,,, i'm looking for a solution to the way they format them,,, the tv is just mirroring what it, (the playbook), plays,,, & if i zoom the movie in w/ tv settings, i'm looking @ a 50" head, & losing approx. 25% of the frame,,, ,,, & the other fill or stretch options aren't any help,,, the playbook settings only have 1:1, ,fill (the best option), zoom & stretch, (one of them actually works out to 4:3),,, i've been taking advantage of the .99� sale in video store, but i'm not gonna buy a bunch of movies that won't render full screen correctly...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 12-08-13 at 07:14 AM.
    12-08-13 07:04 AM
    Like Red said, there's nothing wrong. The only thing you can do as a consumer is find out the aspect ratio of the movie you're going to buy. I have several DVDs and Blurays that are letterboxed and several that are 16x9. The big question is, is that info available on the website? It's on the back of the box you buy at the store, but probably not on the website.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    12-08-13 08:07 AM
    In many cases, you'd find DVDs that have exactly the same aspect ratios that will give you the bars, as well.
    12-08-13 08:23 AM
    so i'm guessing this applies to movies downloaded to the playbook??? i understand there's nothing wrong w/ the movie,,, i'm looking for a solution to the way they format them,,, the tv is just mirroring what it, (the playbook), plays,,, & if i zoom the movie in w/ tv settings, i'm looking @ a 50" head, & losing approx. 25% of the frame,,, ,,, & the other fill or stretch options aren't any help,,, the playbook settings only have 1:1, ,fill (the best option), zoom & stretch, (one of them actually works out to 4:3),,, i've been taking advantage of the .99� sale in video store, but i'm not gonna buy a bunch of movies that won't render full screen correctly...
    Yeah, it's a bear that the whole screen isn't used on big screen but that is completely normal and not limited to PB. On dvds, there used to be a format choice, wide screen (full cinematic effect) or full screen (you lose some peripheral aspects). Haven't seen that lately on the Bluerays, tho... Maybe only for those "old" crt tube tvs. I initially thought like you that buying a new tv would get rid of those bars, but it doesn't.
    12-08-13 09:05 AM
    i'm looking for a solution to the way they format them,,, the tv is just mirroring what it, (the playbook), plays,,, & if i zoom the movie in w/ tv settings, i'm looking @ a 50" head, & losing approx. 25% of the frame,,, ,,, & the other fill or stretch options aren't any help,,, .
    Most TVs zoom function solves this problem perfectly, but not all. You want to zoom straight in with no side to side stretch. You actually lose 20% of the movie when you zoom enough so top and bottom edges of the movie frame touch your screen edges. That's just geometry, not much you can do about it.

, i've been taking advantage of the .99� sale in video store, but i'm not gonna buy a bunch of movies that won't render full screen correctly...
    They are rendering full screen perfectly. The file (that contains the movie) is 16:9 (most likely 1920x1080), just like the aspect of both of your screens. The file includes blank areas on top and bottom. Even if you opened this file on a computer somehow, you'd see the same blank areas. Again, square peg, round hole.

This issue gets to the core of why some studios chop off the movie. They know some consumers will look at the nice big screen and think they are not seeing the "whole" movie. My sister complained about this. My mother complains about this. I tell them they ARE seeing the whole movie, but if it bothers you to see the whole movie, just chop off the excess with the magic zoom button. This issue used to be MUCH worse back when we watched VHS movies on 4:3 TVs. Movies on television included the disclaimer (as some still do today) at the front of the movie that says: "This movie has been altered to fit this screen".

Many movies and studios are still preserving the original aspect ratio but some notables....for some reason...went to the consumer world chopped. The most notable was Avatar. The most recognized, technologically advanced piece of cinema for that year, with a very picky director, and they make the decision to cut off 1/5th of the movie. Perhaps it had something to do with selling the 3D aspect, and the marketing department won that battle.

For those of us with 2.39:1 screens, we appreciate seeing the entire movie and having the option to zoom if we are just watching on the plasma instead. When they chop, we have no option to get that 20% back.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    12-08-13 09:14 AM
    Yeah, it's a bear that the whole screen isn't used on big screen but that is completely normal and not limited to PB. On dvds, there used to be a format choice, wide screen (full cinematic effect) or full screen (you lose some peripheral aspects). Haven't seen that lately on the Bluerays, tho... Maybe only for those "old" crt tube tvs. I initially thought like you that buying a new tv would get rid of those bars, but it doesn't.
    that's not how i was thinking,,, i bought this tv early spring to replace my 20 yr. old 27" toshiba,,, it was time & it served me well,,, got a helluva deal on it too...
    12-08-13 10:00 AM
    Wide screen is the best.... you will get used to it

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    12-08-13 10:13 AM
    Wide screen is the best.... you will get used to it

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    maybe,,, i went thru the roof after i bought my plasma & noticed that there's actually a 1/4" black border all the way around, where there is no picture,,, took me a while to come to terms w/ that,,, almost returned it 'cept the picture on this thing is A-MAZE-ING,,, all the "smart stuff" is just icing...
    12-08-13 10:21 AM
    In many cases, you'd find DVDs that have exactly the same aspect ratios that will give you the bars, as well.
    yeah, a few of my older ones are like that,,, i can't believe they did that to Avatar,,, i've been waiting on a deal for that one,,, THE most technologically advanced movie ever, & they friggin' chop it up like that,,, now i'm wondering if i should even get it...
    12-08-13 10:27 AM
    maybe,,, i went thru the roof after i bought my plasma & noticed that there's actually a 1/4" black border all the way around, where there is no picture,,, took me a while to come to terms w/ that,,, almost returned it 'cept the picture on this thing is A-MAZE-ING,,, all the "smart stuff" is just icing...
    So, it sounds like you're saying you just bought your first ever 16:9 TV. Why would you consider returning it, and presumably go back to a less wide 27" CRT (that's 4:3) that would have even more of a space on top and bottom?
    12-08-13 10:43 AM
    yeah, a few of my older ones are like that,,, i can't believe they did that to Avatar,,, i've been waiting on a deal for that one,,, THE most technologically advanced movie ever, & they friggin' chop it up like that,,, now i'm wondering if i should even get it...
    Sounds like you are confused here. You were just complaining about a movie that is not chopped, that is shown in OAR (original aspect ratio) because it has space on top and bottom. But now you are saying you are upset that Avatar IS chopped with no space on top or bottom.

So, do you prefer OAR or just "fit the consumer screen" viewing?
    12-08-13 10:46 AM
    Sounds like you are confused here. You were just complaining about a movie that is not chopped, that is shown in OAR (original aspect ratio) because it has space on top and bottom. But now you are saying you are upset that Avatar IS chopped with no space on top or bottom.

So, do you prefer OAR or just "fit the consumer screen" viewing?
    i might've misunderstood what you said,,, what i prefer is a movie that plays on the tv, (or playbook, since they're both 16:9, that plays full screen without modification, like when you watch a hdtv channel,,, when i said avatar was chopped, i thought that you implied that it had the bars,,, the way i used the word might've been different than how you did,,, & i'm not complaining or upset,,, i'm just talking...
    12-08-13 11:08 AM
    So, it sounds like you're saying you just bought your first ever 16:9 TV. Why would you consider returning it, and presumably go back to a less wide 27" CRT (that's 4:3) that would have even more of a space on top and bottom?
    i didn't say i would've gone back to a 27" & i didn't just buy it,,, you're reading too much into my posts...
    12-08-13 11:11 AM
    No, if it has blank space (some people call them "bars"), it's original....no chopping has been done. The only way to get a movie that Hollywood produces for theater screens (the vast majority of which are 2.39:1 or similar) to play on a screen that consumers have at home (a 16:9 TV set) is to "chop" off part of the image on each side, which is the result of zooming in. Either the studio does this when they create the Blu-ray/DVD/download file....OR...you do this by simply using your DVD/Blu-ray player or TV to zoom in.

Since I saw Avatar in the theater, I know that it was shot 2.39:1, so the home version being only available as 16:9 means they chopped off some of the movie that was seen in the theater so it would nicely fit into home screens.
    12-08-13 11:29 AM
    i didn't say i would've gone back to a 27" & i didn't just buy it,,, you're reading too much into my posts...

What brand of TV is this? I can't seem to see the picture anymore (perhaps you deleted it). I know Samsung and Panasonic will zoom in nicely. Vizio have poor zoom options.
    12-08-13 11:37 AM
    This constantly comes up. You canNOT fill the screen with a movie that has dimensions not intended to fill certain screen sizes UNLESS you are willing to either stretch the images and distort them or to zoom and cut off the tops/bottoms or sides. Just take any photos that is not 4:3 or 16:? and try to fill the screen by zooming. Something will give if the image was not designed specifically for that screen size.

Now, I do have problems with my own "dvd" slide shows on my Z10. These are videos I've created using Magix software to combine digital photos. It automatically distorts the size for some reason, widening the images so that people look wider than they are - it is also noticeable with other subjects (landscapes are too wide, etc) but people are the most noticeable. Now, commercial dvd films, don't have this issue. I don't know what "internal info" MY slideshows contains that causes the z10 to stretch them side-to-side. When the same video is played on the pb, this distortion does not occur.
    12-08-13 12:53 PM
    This constantly comes up. You canNOT fill the screen with a movie that has dimensions not intended to fill certain screen sizes UNLESS you are willing to either stretch the images and distort them or to zoom and cut off the tops/bottoms or sides. Just take any photos that is not 4:3 or 16:? and try to fill the screen by zooming. Something will give if the image was not designed specifically for that screen size.

Now, I do have problems with my own "dvd" slide shows on my Z10. These are videos I've created using Magix software to combine digital photos. It automatically distorts the size for some reason, widening the images so that people look wider than they are - it is also noticeable with other subjects (landscapes are too wide, etc) but people are the most noticeable. Now, commercial dvd films, don't have this issue. I don't know what "internal info" MY slideshows contains that causes the z10 to stretch them side-to-side. When the same video is played on the pb, this distortion does not occur.
    What is a "DVD slide show" on the Z10? When it stretches on the Z10, are you missing part of the image on the left and right sides?
    12-08-13 02:14 PM
    What is a "DVD slide show" on the Z10? When it stretches on the Z10, are you missing part of the image on the left and right sides?
    I use software on my computer to link a series of digial PHOTOS into a video presentation. It can add fades between images, titles, pan and zoom, music and other effects. After it is tweaked, you can burn it to dvd or you can export it in a number of formats. I have taken to skip the burn-dvd (which I then ripped to standalone) to exporting as mp4 (other formats are available). So my vacations become a fascinating (a boring to others) movie! When copied to the Playbook, they play and appear fine and when projected to the tv (hdmi), also fine. The Z10 seems to have trouble with them - it appears to stretch them left-to-right, so that images are wider including me (I don't need that WIDTH!). I have played with the settings (upper right in the Video app) and also the hdmi settings but nothing seems to fix the distortion. (I posted a separate thread a while back on this). I am going to check this now that I loaded the leaked 10.2.1.xxx.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...o-wide-849144/

If you can provide any guidance, I would appreciate it. As it is definitely easier to carry around the z10 than the Playbook.
    12-08-13 02:39 PM
    I use software on my computer to link a series of digial PHOTOS into a video presentation. It can add fades between images, titles, pan and zoom, music and other effects. After it is tweaked, you can burn it to dvd or you can export it in a number of formats. I have taken to skip the burn-dvd (which I then ripped to standalone) to exporting as mp4 (other formats are available). So my vacations become a fascinating (a boring to others) movie! When copied to the Playbook, they play and appear fine and when projected to the tv (hdmi), also fine. The Z10 seems to have trouble with them - it appears to stretch them left-to-right, so that images are wider including me (I don't need that WIDTH!). I have played with the settings (upper right in the Video app) and also the hdmi settings but nothing seems to fix the distortion. (I posted a separate thread a while back on this). I am going to check this now that I loaded the leaked 10.2.1.xxx.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...o-wide-849144/

If you can provide any guidance, I would appreciate it. As it is definitely easier to carry around the z10 than the Playbook.
    I just read a good portion of that thread. It does sound like a bug. If the video is 16:9 then there is no reason that the Z10 should stretch them. That must be frustrating. I actually have a similar issue with the PB....when making a 16:9 video in h.264, it squeezes the top and bottom up/down to look slightly letterboxed. Doesn't do this anywhere else.
    ???
    12-08-13 03:06 PM
30 12