Update:

There is still lots to iron out, but releasing the source and binaries as is, in hopes that it will be of use to others in the future! May come back to finish this project soon... depending on what you guys would like to see (other than the obvious bugs fixed), or if someone has a definite use case for something like this.

Source: https://github.com/evankale/RemoteTaskbar
    Binaries: Attached below

==========

Original post:

Hey there CB! I'm new here!

I admit I own a Playbook and its rotting on my table. Lately my guilty conscience has finally gotten to me, leading me to think about ways I could make use of my Playbook that I wouldnt use any of my other devices for.

My first thought was to shift the playbook from being an independent mobile device to an always docked device that offers desktop users more content and power. In other words, if this thing is going to be a paperweight on my table, I might as well make use of its touchscreen and turn it into an input device for my computer.

So then I started to develop this app that gives users a visual of all running programs on their desktop computer and lets users quickly switch between or close desktop programs (think of it as an Alt-Tab window that is always present on the tablet screen, but better ). This is especially useful for those who use two computers and want to avoid switching between keyboards/mice. A demo video is included below.

After I finished this app, I realized there is so much more that can be done (for example a dynamic macro board for MMOs, color palette for Photoshop, MIDI controller, etc.) , but unfortunately I do not currently have the use cases for it.

So thats why Im writing here today. I wish to open source this app to show the community how inter-device apps like these can be done, and hopefully spark an interest in some other developers into considering the 2 million Blackberry Playbooks units that are currently collecting dust.

I think the reason why these kinds of apps are best left for older devices like the Playbook is because those who own a new current gen device would not likely afford to dock and leave the device on for prolonged periods of time, risking the lifetime of their device, whereas the Playbook is nowadays seen as the disposable tablet or the tablet for my kids .

Not sure what kind of response Ill get from this no expectations so far. But Ill pack up the code and binaries for public if I see enough interest for this sort of thing.

All comments, suggestions, ideas are welcomed!
    -Evan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by EvanKale; 06-09-14 at 04:41 PM.
    scrapmetal58, KDB84, VR6 and 1 others like this.
    06-02-14 09:03 PM
    That's pretty neat. Not sure I'd use it, but I'm sure we have a lot of member that would.
    06-02-14 09:52 PM
    Very cool. I hope developers take advantage of this.
    06-02-14 11:39 PM
    There's an avenue I hadn't thought of. Good stuff! Thanks for sharing your idea.
    06-03-14 09:36 AM
    Dude! You had my FULL attention at "dynamic macro board for MMOs"!!!!

WANT!!!!!
    06-04-14 01:23 PM
    This would make using three screens and more very nice..... if the apps could be anchored to the screens within the app

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 01:26 PM
    A little confused on everything -

However, is it possible to use the Playbook to mimic what is on the phone? Could I use the playbook phone screen emulator?
    ChrisBB2011 likes this.
    06-04-14 01:35 PM
    I'm retired and have time to beta test stuff for you...send...and I'll be happy to write up my experience and suggestions. Looks like something a lot of people would like.
    So, where is this app and what's it called?

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    06-07-14 03:38 AM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I have updated the first post with link to the source as well as the download for the binary packages.

Please keep in mind that the app is still in it's pre-alpha state - meaning, plenty of bugs to iron out.
    I have temporarily stopped working on it since I don't actually find myself using it, but if there are some solid use cases, I would be happy to come back and polish this up.

TerribleTim68 - not an MMO macro board yet... but a bit of coding can get you there
    Gearheadaddy - thanks for the beta test offer! Please go easy on it, as it is not quite beta yet
    06-09-14 04:48 PM