"I think I'll wrap my playbook in tinfoil to protect it from the magnetism. "
    Then test it by placing it (and running) microwave for a second ??!
    Yes, good idea. If that doesn't work I'll try a flux capacitor instead.
    10-20-12 10:45 PM
    I'd like to know too: What's the name of the magnet reader/finder app?!?
    magnetic field detection by guenole
    published by:Handster Inc.
    10-20-12 10:49 PM
    my husbands iphone 4s has a bunch of emf detection apps as well, and same thing, the indicator read the same on certain objects.
    10-20-12 10:50 PM
    It is very much possible to use the magnetometer to detect metals/magnets.. android apps are already doing it.
    Though the magnetometers in our devices are not too powerful and may get confused with all these other devices around us..

but it would be fun anyway.. Should try to convert a few android apps.. may work if the magnetometer api is provided..
    10-20-12 11:07 PM
    If you want to support a good playbook developer, the excellent What's Up from Maurice Rice also has a magnetometer built into it.
    dugggggg and solomon_grundy like this.
    10-20-12 11:17 PM
    Yes, good idea. If that doesn't work I'll try a flux capacitor instead.

if you wear a pointy tinfoil hat the sonic radio waves don't get transferred through you into your playbook. it protects it.
    10-20-12 11:42 PM
    Aww. I thought someone was going to mention Buckyballs or some small rare earth magnets at some point in this thread.
    Oh well, keep them all away from your mouth, nose and BlackBerry's.
    10-20-12 11:59 PM
    If you want to support a good playbook developer, the excellent What's Up from Maurice Rice also has a magnetometer built into it.
    A second vote for What's Up, one of the premier native apps for the PB.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    10-21-12 12:41 AM
    When you deep freeze your Playbook it will detect the improved cooling and automatically overclock to 4 GHz. The extra oomph makes games like Modern Combat 3 much more playable. It will also be able to prove Riemann's hypothesis.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    10-21-12 01:55 AM
    Yes, Gauss's Law proves that there is zero electromagnetic field in the bottom drawer of a refrigerator.
    It was Mrs. Gauss who discovered that.
    10-21-12 07:29 AM
    F**ckin' magnets. How do they work?
    Last edited by mathprof08; 10-21-12 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Link
    10-21-12 08:49 AM
    Actually, yes the playbook can. It has a built in Magnetometer.

It's the reason why you can use a compass app on it. (though I'm not talking about the native compass app since that one relies on GPS)

As for placing the playbook in the fridge to recover from being near a speaker? That is a new one I've never heard of. Simply removing the playbook from the magnetic source would yield the same result than putting it in the fridge. And whether or not it is damage, the deed is done. On the other hand, there aren't very many parts, if any, on the playbook that can be simply damaged by a magnet that you might have. Of course with a strong enough magnet, any electronics can be damaged, but you won't have that readily in your house, or even in someone's workshop.
    In simple terms... this thread seems to be based on junk science. (Resisting the temptation to say "bullsh..-")

There is nothing in a PlayBook or mobile phone which is likely to be damaged by the kind of magnetic field accessible to the public. I can imagine a few ways to damage a device by magnetism, but all would require very close proximity to an exceptionally powerful magnet (the kind of field strength more likely to be found in research physics or a medical NMR scanner). Very few members of the general population can afford to buy a magnet with the required field strength. Having said that, don't put a PB into a particle accelerator or NMR scanner, because it will get launched with high velocity in the general direction of "away".

* The device probably contains some ferromagnetic parts (like steel screws). If they become magnetised it could disrupt the magnetometer functionality - but it would need a monster magnet to make it happen.
    * Moving a conductor (a wire) in a magnetic field will induce electrical current in the conductor (in the real world that's called a "dynamo" or "generator"). Move it fast enough in a strong enough field and it could induce enough current (or voltage) to cause damage. It ain't going to happen in the real world.
    * The converse also applies... if a current exists in a conductor which is within a magnetic field, a force is created and may cause movement (we call that a motor - or a loudspeaker). With a large enough magnet and enough current it could generate enough force to rip components from the circuit board. The simple fact is that the currents and magnetic field required to generate enough force are unlikely to exist together in a portable device.
    * If an AC electromagnet is used it could be fairly easy to demagnetise the speaker magnets. That's a degaussing coil, readily available and commonly used in machine tool shops where magnetic clamps are used to hold steel workpieces.
    10-21-12 08:58 AM
    All battery packaging has always said store in a cool dry place.Over the years people then take it to the extreme. More is better only if it is beer lol.
    10-22-12 04:50 AM
    Don't forget, it also keeps the aliens from reading your Platbooks memory..............

C
    10-22-12 08:50 AM
    This magnet stuff is B/S. I have used this magnetic mount in my car for two Bolds and my current Torch for about five years. You simply place the phone onto the mount and it grabs it.
    RAM Magnetic Power Plate III for Radar Detectors
    It holds them in place with a powerful magnet even while the car is in motion. For my torch, I don't even use the supplied metal plate. (makes the phone too thick and heavy). works perfect No degridation in signal or function. The best part is that there are no clips or brackets to get in the way.
    10-22-12 07:59 PM
    BB holsters have magnets for the BB phones to be put into standby when holstered and taken out of standby when removed. This done by a magnet in the holster. There is also the wireless charging that is if I'm informed correctly done via induction. All this won't harm the phones either.
    10-22-12 08:46 PM
    My physic teacher the other day drop a tea spoon worth of iron filling onto her phone. Tries to remove it with a magnet. Not the best idea ever and now she is walking arounf with a new phone now
    Lesson, keeps magets away from your phone. Except the ones use in holster to put your device to sleep.
    I did something similar, inadvertently. I put my 9000 in a tool apron, next to a steel wool pad. I ended up using a rare earth magnet and then a vacuum cleaner to get most of the metal bits out of the phone and regain some functionality in the speaker. The phone died a few months later. But it was killed by the steel wool bits, not the magnet.
    10-22-12 08:51 PM
    Yeah I think we're talking about magnetic fields far greater than most of us will ever be around so no worries. My Cygnett case has a magnetic closure and I love it...just had to add that. It's purple leather and beautiful...and I won it here on Crackberry.
    10-23-12 11:01 AM
43 12