there's an app that detects magnetism or EMF ( electromagnetic fields), so of course, you download it and start using it...
    and find that its indicator skyrockets around magnets...
    but listen....some magnets are so powerful, they can wipe memory and kill your battery.

as a dj with oldn school technic turntables... I've messed up before with cell phones... even those the platter wasn't spinning the magnet underneath still works,.....before I knew about that stuff .... I had set my phone down on the platter....only to come back to it...dead...and not working at all...

I have no idea what a magnet can do to a playbook but oets hop RIM has thought about that ...m

to add, I do remember now... my playbook freaked out once after having it too close to my stereo reciever... I called my husband instantly, he said turn it off, wrap it in zip lock, and put in the bottom draw of the fridge for a few hours. its helps electromagnitism disapate.... so after 4 hours... it took it out...and yesss it still worked!

in addition, there's muchmore we don't know about the playbook than we do know... lol
    10-20-12 12:50 PM
    Yes, Gauss's Law proves that there is zero electromagnetic field in the bottom drawer of a refrigerator.
    Hgouck, Stewartj1, Just Me and 1 others like this.
    10-20-12 01:16 PM
    Isn't there a magnet around the door of refrigerators and freezers to help seal them when closed? Always good to keep electronics away from magnets.
    10-20-12 01:38 PM
    Placed my PlayBook in the fridge once. Had bridge on and walked to the living. Forgot I had it in there and used Bridge to open a link on the PlayBook.

After 5 minutes hunting the device down, I open the fridge and there it was... And the page was awaiting to be read.

reminding everyone to becareful around magnets....-true-story.jpg
    Andrew4life and currygoat like this.
    10-20-12 01:40 PM
    Placed my PlayBook in the fridge once. Had bridge on and walked to the living. Forgot I had it in there and used Bridge to open a link on the PlayBook.

After 5 minutes hunting the device down, I open the fridge and there it was... And the page was awaiting to be read.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	true-story.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	123393
    lmao awesome...
    diegonei likes this.
    10-20-12 01:55 PM
    Isn't there a magnet around the door of refrigerators and freezers to help seal them when closed? Always good to keep electronics away from magnets.
    the magnets I'm talking about aren't like small regular everyday magnets. my husband has weird parts all over the house so I have to be careful lol... but even like car batteries (he's a mechanic too) we haveba few car batteries that had very high readings of elecomagnetic flux..
    10-20-12 01:58 PM
    Just be sure that moisture doesn't get on the PB. Think it isn't a good idea to put PB in refrigerator. Magnets were a bad idea years ago when tapes and wires and other info storage devices operated through magnetism. Any evidence that they now cause trouble? Perhaps better to avoid that trouble nevertheless.
    Loonster and elbo like this.
    10-20-12 02:12 PM
    My physic teacher the other day drop a tea spoon worth of iron filling onto her phone. Tries to remove it with a magnet. Not the best idea ever and now she is walking arounf with a new phone now
    Lesson, keeps magets away from your phone. Except the ones use in holster to put your device to sleep.
    10-20-12 02:19 PM
    Good info to know, thanks
    10-20-12 03:20 PM
    Please tell me the OP is kidding.

The playbook can not pic up magnetic readings from devices.

I bet you believe the apps that detects ghosts is for real as well?

You put your playbook in the fridge to recover from being near a speaker??? hmmmm.. okay..

Magnets used to effect CRT monitors etc.. But not lcd
    Stewartj1 and Branta like this.
    10-20-12 04:03 PM

You put your playbook in the fridge to recover from being near a speaker??? hmmmm.. okay..

Actually, yes the playbook can. It has a built in Magnetometer.

It's the reason why you can use a compass app on it. (though I'm not talking about the native compass app since that one relies on GPS)

As for placing the playbook in the fridge to recover from being near a speaker? That is a new one I've never heard of. Simply removing the playbook from the magnetic source would yield the same result than putting it in the fridge. And whether or not it is damage, the deed is done. On the other hand, there aren't very many parts, if any, on the playbook that can be simply damaged by a magnet that you might have. Of course with a strong enough magnet, any electronics can be damaged, but you won't have that readily in your house, or even in someone's workshop.
    Tha.Housewife likes this.
    10-20-12 05:34 PM
    I'm not sure how long you leave your phone sitting on the platter but I've put mine down tons of times on top of my Tech-12s for half, maybe full hour with absolutely no effect whatsoever.
    10-20-12 05:59 PM
    If you put your Playbook in the bottom of your fridge you are basically puting it on top of the motor that runs the compressor. Even in a plastic bag, it will get condensation (water) on it if you take it out of the bag when still cold.
    10-20-12 06:08 PM
    I am sure the freezer bag was to protect it from the moisture, and I believe the bottom drawer is the dryer area of the fridge, right? Also, I don't know about DJ equipment, but I am sure the old school may have been different than what they have now. Andrew4life also mentioned that the PlayBook can read magnetic fields. Tha.Housewife already mentioned that it isn't the everyday household magnets that does harm, but it seems that it is the industrial/purposely strong consumer ones that can. Anyways, although it doesn't apply to me, it is good to know for those who have strong magnets around their house/workshops/business/etc. Thanks
    Tha.Housewife likes this.
    10-20-12 06:22 PM
    Putting it in the fridge???? No
    10-20-12 08:08 PM
    Putting it in the fridge???? No
    yeah! Cool PlayBooks are awesome to handle!
    10-20-12 08:28 PM
    If you put your Playbook in the bottom of your fridge you are basically puting it on top of the motor that runs the compressor. Even in a plastic bag, it will get condensation (water) on it if you take it out of the bag when still cold.
    have u tried it? I had it in there 5 hours...was dry and fine... just sayin...
    10-20-12 08:38 PM
    I'm not sure how long you leave your phone sitting on the platter but I've put mine down tons of times on top of my Tech-12s for half, maybe full hour with absolutely no effect whatsoever.
    were they on? or off tho....
    10-20-12 08:39 PM

Magnets used to effect CRT monitors etc.. But not lcd
    a reciever is different than a speaker
    10-20-12 08:40 PM
    What's the name of that app?
    10-20-12 09:01 PM
    yeah! Cool PlayBooks are awesome to handle!
    Like flipping the pillow over!
    10-20-12 09:41 PM
    A short search turned up at least three magnetic field detectors. Just search app world for magnetic. But these may not be what OP is talking about. If you put your BBPB in the refrigerator and don't get condensation count yourself lucky. BTW certainly above the forty-eighth and even down to my neighborhood if you leave your electronics in your car and then bring them into your cabin where the humidity is higher inside than outside better let them warm up a bit before opening up the container. As far as the Physics teachers experiment with the iron filings and the phone was this a joke? In any event such an experiment was poorly designed because there is no way to show whether iron filings or the magnetic caused the result and there is no reason to introduce the phone into an experiment designed show that a magnet attracts iron - filings or otherwise.
    10-20-12 09:54 PM
    What's the name of that app?
    I'd like to know too: What's the name of the magnet reader/finder app?!?
    10-20-12 09:55 PM
    I think I'll wrap my playbook in tinfoil to protect it from the magnetism.
    10-20-12 10:22 PM
    "I think I'll wrap my playbook in tinfoil to protect it from the magnetism. "
    Then test it by placing it (and running) microwave for a second ??!
    10-20-12 10:41 PM
43 12