When BlackBerry announced that Blend would support "all devices", and I later found out that "all devices" didn't include the Playbook, I was discouraged.

BlackBerry no longer supports the PlayBook, and I regret buying it. I don't always need the latest and the greatest. I could live without new features, I just need what I already have to work. So when BlackBerry said they wouldn't be fixing existing bugs in the PlayBook, it became a real problem.

I don't know if BlackBerry will make a "comeback", I only know that they don't treat their customers well.

Shane.
    12-24-14 11:35 PM
    Shame they didn't make more of it, but it is a 3 year old tablet.
    southlander, dmlis and kbz1960 like this.
    12-24-14 11:46 PM
    How did you manage to reach a conclusion that PlayBook would support Blend?

BlackBerry Blend is for BlackBerry 10 devices only.

PlayBook is no longer supported and BlackBerry has officially stated that a long time ago.

Legacy BlackBerry devices are also not supported by blend although they are still being supported.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 09:34 AM
    How do you find the updates to the original Samsung Galaxy Tab that came out a few months before the PlayBook? It shipped with Android 2.2.x, and end-of-life was Android 2.3.x released in September, 2011 - less than a year after launch.

PlayBook did a lot better than that! It was released April of 2011, and received its last update in March 2014.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-25-14 10:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    MS Windows
    MAC
    iOS
    Android

Why would you say it is for BB10 devices only?

I didn't expect it to work on PlayBook... because I long ago learned to accept BlackBerry's lies... but it certainly is not unreasonable for someone
    have such an expectation!

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 10:05 AM
    When BlackBerry announced that Blend would support "all devices", and I later found out that "all devices" didn't include the Playbook, I was discouraged.

BlackBerry no longer supports the PlayBook, and I regret buying it. I don't always need the latest and the greatest. I could live without new features, I just need what I already have to work. So when BlackBerry said they wouldn't be fixing existing bugs in the PlayBook, it became a real problem.

I don't know if BlackBerry will make a "comeback", I only know that they don't treat their customers well.

Shane.
    I think its wrong to say that BlackBerry doesn't look out for its Customers.
    I'm still using Legacy Products with no problems.My Playbook is functioning just Fine.It Fair to say,If you want to use a Device with OS 10,Then upgrade to a newer device.BTW.....I Think Blackberry has successfully made a comeback with all their services and newer devices World Wide.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-25-14 11:00 AM
    MS Windows
    MAC
    iOS
    Android

Why would you say it is for BB10 devices only?

I didn't expect it to work on PlayBook... because I long ago learned to accept BlackBerry's lies... but it certainly is not unreasonable for someone
    have such an expectation!

Posted via CB10
    Ok. I thought you wanted the PB to act as source for Blend (BB10 only).

PlayBook is still no longer being supported and you should not expect any apps or updates for this platform (PB OS 2.1.x)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jpvj; 12-26-14 at 05:25 PM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-25-14 05:32 PM
    and end-of-life was Android 2.3.x released in September, 2011 - less than a year after launch.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    It wasn't even a proper update, just a patch that broke my accelerometer -____-

 Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.1016 
    12-25-14 06:01 PM
    Blend is basically a 2nd iteration of BlackBerry Bridge, which was *only* supported by the PlayBook. Luckily you can still use some version of Bridge for most of the functionality that Blend provides except connect across mobile network (which is flaky on Blend, and eats up your data, anyway).

Bridge even let's you (or at least did back in BlackBerry OS days) use your phone's data plan to browse without any tethering or hotspot charges.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-25-14 06:08 PM
    "Now access to all your files on any device!" - see the official announcement.

It is for IOS 7+ and Android 4.4+ tablets, but not the PlayBook - see the Blend page.

PlayBook is no longer supported and BlackBerry has officially stated that a long time ago.
    Yes - see my first post.

Shane.
    12-25-14 07:57 PM
    My question is why would you want to use Blend for your tablet anyway? Are you saying you want Blend to have bridge-like functionality with newer BlackBerry devices? I could see that, but I can't understand if you want the desktop to connect to the tablet.
    12-25-14 11:06 PM
    "Now access to all your files on any device!" - see the official announcement.

Well. It also not working on Symbian, Meego, Jolla, Palm and probably a lot more... guess what: Not supported and/or EOL. If you want to make it a war on words so be it.

It is for IOS 7+ and Android 4.4+ tablets, but not the PlayBook - see the Blend page.

No. Of course not. PlayBook OS is a retired platform.

Yes - see my first post.

Shane.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 05:24 PM
    Blend is basically a 2nd iteration of BlackBerry Bridge, which was *only* supported by the PlayBook. Luckily you can still use some version of Bridge for most of the functionality that Blend provides except connect across mobile network (which is flaky on Blend, and eats up your data, anyway).

Bridge even let's you (or at least did back in BlackBerry OS days) use your phone's data plan to browse without any tethering or hotspot charges.

Posted via CB10
    Correct. Bridge is/was for BlackBerry OS devices as host and PB as clients.

Blend is for OS 10 as host and several current in-market platforms as client.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jpvj; 12-27-14 at 02:12 PM.
    12-26-14 05:27 PM
    Correct. Bridge was for BlackBerry OS devices as host and PB as clients.

Blend us for OS 10 as host and several current in-market platforms as client.

Posted via CB10
    Understand what you're saying. And it is technically correct... but...

The least BlackBerry could have done for all the PlayBook fans they lied to before would have been to at least provide an app that would allow PB to use blend as a client.

Would that have been so hard? It is NOT that old of a device and would have been a token of good faith to all the loyal BlackBerry fans who spent handsomely, in good faith, only to be blindsided by ineptness for the whole fiasco that became PB.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 05:39 PM
    Understand what you're saying. And it is technically correct... but...

The least BlackBerry could have done for all the PlayBook fans they lied to before would have been to at least provide an app that would allow PB to use blend as a client.

Would that have been so hard? It is NOT that old of a device and would have been a token of good faith to all the loyal BlackBerry fans who spent handsomely, in good faith, only to be blindsided by ineptness for the whole fiasco that became PB.

Posted via CB10
    But Bridge already allows you to use the PlayBook as a client for essentially the same things that Blend offers. It even allows for data connection sharing.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 12:35 AM
    I regret nothing.
    The PlayBook is a daily used tablet in my household.
    Sure it was released in 2011 and I bought my tablet January 2013 - I had to have one, and it started me on the path of BlackBerry 10 phones.

My PlayBook is still an amazing machine, it's not as fast as other newer tablets, but I love the gesture based UI and the true multitasking capabilities it offers. It's almost 4 years old it does multitasking better than all tablets (that I have played with)... Still.
    It's too bad I cannot add more RAM, update to a new SoC, and make this tablet run faster.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-27-14 01:59 AM
    In my house we have4 PlayBook. I actually sold my ipad to buy another for myself
    12-27-14 11:06 AM
    But Bridge already allows you to use the PlayBook as a client for essentially the same things that Blend offers. It even allows for data connection sharing.

Posted via CB10
    Bridge doesn't come close to functionality of Blend:

Text messages
    BBM messages
    File management
    Call ID

Not to mention that Bridge used up the Bluetooth connection which then is unavailable for BT headset.

Posted via CB10
    ShaneGoodman likes this.
    12-27-14 03:27 PM
    I've used my PB for 4 years and have 3. I don't regret it at all. However, OP made a point. About not treating customers right and to me that is the point. Granted given what happened to the business BB had many constraints. Not many could disagree that it was mishandled badly. For me it raises the bigger issue for future support for devices and probably impacts the adoption of BB10. Insert beaten dead horse here.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    12-28-14 09:45 AM
    Yes - the point (rant) I was trying to make was about BlackBerry abandoning customers (not Blend vs. Bridge). BlackBerry seems to be focused on chasing after new customers, but existing customers (like me) have been abandoned.

This has created other problems. For example, Evernote is now blocking their app, claiming their were just following BlackBerry's decision.

Shane.
    12-29-14 01:31 AM
    2.5 million Playbooks sold, of those I venture to guess a small percentage were 4G LTE, the only ones it would make any sense to develop Blend for. I totally understand the point of the rant. Do y'all understand what little point there is in BlackBerry spending money developing Blend to work for it, considering the device was already placed in a coffin?

I'll say it again, it was a shame, but it's long since over. Time to let go the ill feelings, and embrace reality.
    Umaima_B_Dia, sam81 and andy957 like this.
    12-29-14 02:13 AM
    2.5 million Playbooks sold, of those I venture to guess a small percentage were 4G LTE, the only ones it would make any sense to develop Blend for.
    That doesn't make any sense at all. Blend for the client works over wifi not LTE.

For the client all that is needed is wifi. We're not talking about using PB as host here but as client.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 06:47 AM
    That doesn't make any sense at all. Blend for the client works over wifi not LTE.

For the client all that is needed is wifi. We're not talking about using PB as host here but as client.

Posted via CB10
    In which case you have bridge, correct? Either way it's spending money to make a few users who have already been told support ended content, instead of focusing forward.
    12-29-14 06:55 AM
    The 4g playbook had a little higher specs.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 07:23 AM
    In which case you have bridge, correct? Either way it's spending money to make a few users who have already been told support ended content, instead of focusing forward.
    Did you read whole thread?

Bridge doesn't compare:

No text messages
    No BBM
    Not comparable file management

And it uses up bluetooth which then is not available for head set.

And yes, we know it's no longer supported. But providing a client app would not have been difficult... and would have gone a long way in good faith for all those who bought steeply into the whole failed PB fiasco.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 07:32 AM
45 12