Hello,

New, noobie seeks information. Please help. My new-to-me refurbished PlayBook, which just arrived today, is asking me for my Blackberry ID & password. There is already a username & a password associated with this PlayBook & I don't know how to change them. There is a Username in the space calling for it. An email address. I sent an email to that address explaining that I bought the PB & asked for the password.

I'm not holding my breath while waiting for a response.

So, is there some way to remedy this situation? Is there a way to delete the original username & password so I can put in my own info?

Thank you in advance for any information you can offer regarding this matter.
    05-09-14 07:51 PM
    Hello,

New, noobie seeks information. Please help. My new-to-me refurbished PlayBook, which just arrived today, is asking me for my Blackberry ID & password. There is already a username & a password associated with this PlayBook & I don't know how to change them. There is a Username in the space calling for it. An email address. I sent an email to that address explaining that I bought the PB & asked for the password.

I'm not holding my breath while waiting for a response.

So, is there some way to remedy this situation? Is there a way to delete the original username & password so I can put in my own info?

Thank you in advance for any information you can offer regarding this matter.
    You could try wiping it? Connect it to BlackBerry Desktop and it should be a option to take it to factory settings... Try that and see how you get on!
    05-09-14 08:00 PM
    I'm not sure about wiping it. I don't know how to do it yet, anyway, & also I'm not sure what the results would be. Plus, there are some paid-for apps on this PlayBook that I want to keep. Certainly it's something to consider. Thank you for the good suggestion. I appreciate you're help.
    ArmedHitman likes this.
    05-09-14 08:12 PM
    I think your only choices are to wipe it and lose the apps, or to get a hold of the password.
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-09-14 08:24 PM
    Should be wiped and your own ID which is an email address put in. All info on the pb will be lost except for the OS and PB furnished apps. You might have to connect to the desktop but the process should take place over the wifi I believe. Any apps purchased from the BB store do not belong to you but to the Blackberry ID of the previous owner. I believe there are ways of changing your BB ID email address but tthey require contacting support.

You say there is already a user name and password associated with this PB. I would write down any info I could see. The Blackberry ID password may be different from a password you might later use to lock the PB. Many people don't have this and their PB may be turned on and everhthing looked at by anyone.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    Last edited by jpash549; 05-09-14 at 08:45 PM.
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-09-14 08:32 PM
    Another comment. What kind of refurbishment leaves the previous owners info on aPlayBook. Who was supposed to have done the refurbishment?
    05-09-14 09:48 PM
    I'm not sure about wiping it. I don't know how to do it yet, anyway, & also I'm not sure what the results would be. Plus, there are some paid-for apps on this PlayBook that I want to keep. Certainly it's something to consider. Thank you for the good suggestion. I appreciate you're help.
    Anytime and your welcome

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 10:01 PM
    "cell-force" on eBay. Here's a link: Blackberry Playbook 16GB Wi Fi 7in Black Tablet eReader Touchscreen Camera 5052733934416 | eBay That's what I purchased. Says "Item condition: Manufacturer refurbished".
    05-09-14 10:34 PM
    I learned the demo mode password, which allows me to access Security, wherein there is "Security Swipe". Is this the same as, "wiping"?
    05-09-14 10:49 PM
    BTW, I can't connect with Blackberry Desktop, my PC does not see the PlayBook... it says "Connect To Device", or something like that, when my PlayBook was already connected to the PC via USB cable.
    05-09-14 10:53 PM
    Try starting the desktop and when it says connect PB do so.
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-09-14 11:07 PM
    Something doesn't make sense here. Demo mode doesn't allow you to access settings. You need to access settings in order to put the Playbook into demo mode. Second, the Playbook won't prompt you for your BB ID and password, except in the case of initial setup after the Playbook has been wiped. Third, what "paid for apps" don't you want to lose, since the ebay item description makes no mention of any paid apps (that I could see).
    jpash549 and Diana Graham like this.
    05-09-14 11:49 PM
    Something doesn't make sense here. Demo mode doesn't allow you to access settings. You need to access settings in order to put the Playbook into demo mode. Second, the Playbook won't prompt you for your BB ID and password, except in the case of initial setup after the Playbook has been wiped. Third, what "paid for apps" don't you want to lose, since the ebay item description makes no mention of any paid apps (that I could see).
    Agree this series of posts has a lot of confusion to it. It was also stated that this PB had another user name and password associated with it. How was that known? I assumed that the PB could be started and that this was found out under the settings. As to when the Blackberry ID and password were requested that this might have happened when access to PB world was tried. Agree about apps. Would not expect a PB sold on ebay to be in demo mode anyhow. Wonder whose factory this was refurbished in? Would think you should get a certificate with it and at least a 90 day guarantee.

I'm gone.
    05-10-14 12:26 AM
    The log in screen appears every 10 minutes. It prompts me to: "Sign in with your Blackberry ID". The username is filled in, ("[email protected]"), the password area is blank.
    05-10-14 01:45 AM
    The log in screen appears every 10 minutes. It prompts me to: "Sign in with your Blackberry ID". The username is filled in, ("[email protected]"), the password area is blank.

I went so far as to request help recovering the password, the security question is "What was your first phone number"
    05-10-14 01:48 AM
    "Demo Mode Password Required" appears when I touch the gear symbol in the upper right corner of the PB screen. It says: "Enter the demo mode to unlock system settings". A menu appears after the pw is put in offering access to: "Airplane Mode", Wi-Fi", "Software Updates", "Bluetooth", "Blackberry Bridge", "Internet Tethering", "Screen, "HDMI", "Sounds", "General", "Storage & Sharing", "Security", "Language", "Keyboard", & "Date & Time".
    05-10-14 01:49 AM
    Any new or refurbished unit should allow you to start from the very beginning to register your username and password. I wonder if you had purchase from individual who forgotten to wipe or reset to manufacturer setting. Worst fear is, it's a stolen unit, where the seller just simply claimed refurbished unit. Even without refurbishment an individual seller would have wipe the unit clean for safety precaution of sharing personal info with the new buyer.

Posted via CB10
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-10-14 02:52 AM
    Looks like the eBay seller is pretty reputable. However, the item is not as described and you have a great case to return it. Your only choice is to do the security wipe. This will remove all previous user settings and installed apps. That is true manufacturer refurb in addition to verifying that the device is performing factory spec regarding hardware and software. Does it have any email accounts on it? That is not right and they should be deleted off. Another thing to consider, after a security wipe and OS update, you may lose actual native PlayBook icons and they can be difficult to get back. You may have to debrick or load the OS from Desktop Manager or Link software so you will need to able to connect the PB to a PC. Depends on how much technical hassle you want to go through. It should just go through the setup routine right off the bat.
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-10-14 07:35 AM
    Hi. Desktop Manager does not see this device. I have tried starting DM, & then plugging in the device. I have plugged in the device & then started DM. I've left the device plugged into my PC, restarted the PC & then opened DM. DM still says: "Connect Your Blackberry". I'm using a brand new usb mini cable. I know the usb ports on my PC are working.
    05-10-14 09:52 AM
    Could this unit have started life as a demo unit in a sprint store? Perhaps #23?
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-10-14 10:43 AM
    Uninstall DM, install and run ccleaner, download and install DM. Open DM and with the pb off, make sure the screen is off, plug it in and choose update and or repair. Of course you won't be able to keep the apps on it but that the way it goes.
    05-10-14 11:34 AM
    Hi. Desktop Manager does not see this device. I have tried starting DM, & then plugging in the device. I have plugged in the device & then started DM. I've left the device plugged into my PC, restarted the PC & then opened DM. DM still says: "Connect Your Blackberry". I'm using a brand new usb mini cable. I know the usb ports on my PC are working.
    All cables are not equal. You should be using the one that came with the PB.
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-10-14 02:01 PM
    There's a rumor circulating that there's a relationship problem between Windows 7 & Blackberry Desktop Manager.
    05-10-14 02:16 PM
    Not sure if I missed it, but email the address and let the person know your predicament.
    Maybe they no longer have a BlackBerry, or didn't use their actual real email password for their person account.

Posted via CB10
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-10-14 04:05 PM
    I do not have any problems with Desktop Manager (v7.1.0.42). and Windows 7 - 2 PCs, 2 Playbooks and 2 BB9900s.
    05-10-14 04:35 PM
39 12