A real disappointment

Loaded it onto my PB and on my wife's iPhone 4s and let me tell you... it's so jittery and full of echo.

UTTERLY useless. A phone call would be best unless you like spitting on your device due to the need to yell so hard to even get the audio to work.

Instant delete.
    05-07-12 01:59 AM
    A real disappointment

Loaded it onto my PB and on my wife's iPhone 4s and let me tell you... it's so jittery and full of echo.

UTTERLY useless. A phone call would be best unless you like spitting on your device due to the need to yell so hard to even get the audio to work.

Instant delete.
    Thanks for the heads up..
    05-07-12 02:07 AM
    A real disappointment

Instant delete.
    Agree. Tried it once and it was terrible.
    05-07-12 07:49 AM
    i had decent results...you just have to be on a fast wifi connection. The clarity isn't there but its a free app so...
    05-07-12 10:08 AM
    Hey,
    I certainly respect your opinion but my experience has been completely different. I've gotten quite a few people to get Playbooks and now help them ALL load ReelPortal, Scrapbook, Nexus, and BlueBox.
    ReelPortal can be loaded with any PC or Mac or just run from the webbrowser. I have found this to be quite good and most people look like I pulled a rabbit out of a hat when we get someone on the other side.
    I also really like the chatroom concept. You can set it up so anyone that enters your room just shows up.

I suggest everyone that has a Playbook try it and judge for themselves. It is FREE so give it a go. I've gotten a bunch of people to use it and they seem pretty happy. Just be sure to note that the video camera, your audio is turned on. You can control this on the bottom left. Just click on camera and microphone to turn on. I like having that kind of control. You can mute in and out and also text.
    reelportal and litig8or98 like this.
    05-07-12 10:36 AM
    I've had mixed results too. Mostly good. Most problems were the other end not knowing what to do and their wifi having other people on it sucking it up which isn't that fast to begin with.
    05-07-12 10:56 AM
    Works OK for me. It's not broadcast quality, but gets the job done better than just complaining about Skype.

Headphones will resolve the echo...
    Princepia likes this.
    05-07-12 11:02 AM
    I use ReelPortal for home monitoring using a webcam on a spare computer. Works great for that purpose, since you can access it anywhere from any computer's browser. And more than one person can look in (my wife and I can both go into the room and check up on things).
    05-07-12 12:03 PM
    I use ReelPortal for home monitoring using a webcam on a spare computer. Works great for that purpose, since you can access it anywhere from any computer's browser. And more than one person can look in (my wife and I can both go into the room and check up on things).
    Who else is able to monitor your home? How good is their security?
    05-07-12 12:06 PM
    Weird. I'm in Canada and used Reelportal with my friend in Orlando and it worked FLAWLESSY. It actually worked so well and she was so impressed, we are going to use it over Tinychats video conference rooms.

I personally loved it.

Also, I was using headphones. Which you really should be using for any audio chat to avoid echo and unnecessary background noise.
    05-07-12 12:38 PM
    I use Reelportal to video chat with my GF,I use the playbook she uses her android phone. We really enjoy it, I recommend this app.
    05-07-12 04:19 PM
    Worked good for me too, I used PB native browser, not an app.
    05-07-12 06:14 PM
    What kind of headphones were you using to carry on the conversation?
    05-07-12 06:24 PM
    @G7 It is rare to find a user who really 'get it' on the design, which deviates greatly from the usual video chat approach. You are one of the few . Most people do take time to learn to set it up correctly. But it's inevitable there's a few outliers. Okay, more than a few (I'd say a third).

Thanks for spreading the word on ReelPortal. If I have a company, I would hire you as marketing director :P. Unfortunately, I'm just a one-man show, as this app is just a night/wkend job for me.
    guerllamo7 likes this.
    05-08-12 02:48 PM
    Who else is able to monitor your home? How good is their security?
    ReelPortal uses RTMP and RTMFP (Adobe's protocols). You can google them regarding their transmission security. If you are concerning about the server, it is merely a routing agent. It doesn't store any video/audio data.

As a matter of fact, I also provide the server software for FREE, so you can run your own service. I actually prefer users run their own servers, so I don't have to pay for a beefy server.

Check this thread out on setting up your server:

Server Software - setting up a server

If you are truly paranoid about your data, you should definitely host your own service . Now do any of the other chat apps let you run your own server?
    05-08-12 02:57 PM
    Fortunately or unfortunately, this thread is an example of the fact different users like and/or expect different things. For some the app is not their cup of tea while others appreciate it utility.
    05-08-12 03:53 PM
    try out reelportal last night and love it.
    we now have our HTPC with a webcam on so we can check up the house while we at work
    05-08-12 04:09 PM
    'ello 'ello

Just searched reel portal on the app world and found ReelPortal Private, for 3.00. Is there a free version or is this the version to get? Wanted for cross platform voice/video chat...

Thanks
    12-27-12 08:00 PM
    Sometime back the developer starting charging for it - more than that I don't know.
    12-27-12 11:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD