I have the blinking light brick problem.....think the battery dies while on standby. Running latest os update. will the desktop "update" erase my videos and pictures? I did this once in the past and I think it erased all my data.
    08-21-11 07:07 AM
    If you can just run the update (options, software update), that just updates and does not disturb data generally.

but if you mean using Desktop Manager, I think you may lose your data.

Do you have any access via usb to the pb? If you do, you can copy stuff manually.
    08-21-11 09:25 AM
    cannot see the pb from pc other than desktop asking to do an update because it can't connect. The question is if I do that update via BB desktop is that like a wipe?
    08-21-11 09:41 AM
    either way do a backup via desktop manager to make sure you don't lose it in any event
    08-21-11 09:48 AM
    Thats my point....can't do a backup if the PC can't see the device. Just came back from vacation and have a bunch of pics and vids on there.
    08-21-11 09:50 AM
    A forced update with dm is a debrick and will erase all data.

Is your charger faulty? Is your pb now dead and only the red light flashes when attempting to charge?
    08-21-11 10:04 AM
    A forced update with dm is a debrick and will erase all data.

Is your charger faulty? Is your pb now dead and only the red light flashes when attempting to charge?
    That's what I thought on the update. The charger is fine, has always worked right up to yesterday. The light flashes twice, then pauses, twice...repeat. If I do the three button reset the light will stop flashing and stay dark. If I press the power button it will start the flash pattern again. It has been plugged into the charger at least 12 hours. I can't lose my vacation content!!

Any other ideas?
    08-21-11 10:09 AM
    That's what I thought on the update. The charger is fine, has always worked right up to yesterday. The light flashes twice, then pauses, twice...repeat. If I do the three button reset the light will stop flashing and stay dark. If I press the power button it will start the flash pattern again. It has been plugged into the charger at least 12 hours. I can't lose my vacation content!!

Any other ideas?
    Try the charger from your curve
    08-21-11 10:56 AM
    Try the charger from your curve
    Or maybe purchase a rapid charger that provides more juice. It does sound like a charging issue. Either a faulty charger or connection problem.

You can always return the charger if that's not the solution. I seem to recall another poster with similar problems that was told by RIM Support to power off the pb and leave it off for a few hours before plugging back in.
    08-21-11 11:14 AM
    I would also suggest a different charger. Even if you go to a store and ask to use theirs for an hour or so. It for some reason it is not charging it might give those signs. And it can take an hour or so to overcome a fully dead battery before you even see signs of life.

AT&T sells a data only cable for $10 which works faster on usb ports.

Good luck
    08-21-11 11:14 AM
    I can assure you guys there is nothing wrong with the charger. This is the second time it has happened so its an issue with the PB, not the charger. I use the charger every day. I am going to try a friends fast charge dock to see if that helps tomorrow. USB or a standard BB charger barely touches the battery on a PB so not going to bother with anything less powerful than the charger that comes with it.
    08-21-11 11:40 AM
    Please keep us informed. Very curious on the solution.
    08-21-11 11:51 AM
    Please keep us informed. Very curious on the solution.
    I will. I know that the DM update will fix it but also wipe the device. I have a bunch of videos from a cruise that I just came back from so I have to find another solution!!
    08-21-11 12:02 PM
    I am in the same boat. Also not a charger issue. I am desparate. This really sucks
    08-22-11 12:07 PM
    You guys really need to call RIM support. This is important to you, call the experts. Just make sure they understand the situation and that your files cannot be erased.
    08-22-11 03:40 PM
    Was going to but past my free support term.

Here is the update:
    I borrowed a rapid charger dock. Left it on there all day. No difference so I resigned myself to doing the DM update and losing my data.

I ran it and it failed part way through then the device went to red flash followed by 5 green. I then put it back on the rapid charger and it eventually booted to the setup process.....which then stopped saying the battery was critically low and the setup would continue once it got to 20%. I let it sit on the charger for about an hour with the big battery graphic showing 0%. This says that when it was down and out it was not charging at all. It stayed at 0 for a long time, tried it on and off and still....0%. I then put it in standby and that seemed to make the difference....it then came up to over 20% and the setup continued....and I am back running again.

Very frustrating but at least I am back live.

Lesson here is never leave it in standby to die on the battery and that if it goes critically low it doesn't seem to charge with the device off.....oh....and backup with some frequency. My restore was from May!
    08-23-11 06:20 AM
    Did you lose all your pictures then? What a shame. I think I may have to go the same route.
    08-23-11 07:05 AM
    ..and I am back running again.

Very frustrating but at least I am back live.

Lesson here is never leave it in standby to die on the battery and that if it goes critically low it doesn't seem to charge with the device off.....oh....and backup with some frequency. My restore was from May!
    Great to hear it's working again.

What's disappointing is the fact that it wasn't charging while off. This was supposed to be corrected in update 1.0.7
    08-23-11 08:52 AM
    Did you lose all your pictures then? What a shame. I think I may have to go the same route.
    yes, it was actually a bunch of videos that I took. Would be interesting to know if they could have been saved but I suspect not.
    08-23-11 08:56 AM
    Great to hear it's working again.

What's disappointing is the fact that it wasn't charging while off. This was supposed to be corrected in update 1.0.7
    I think that is the case with a healthy os state....but in limbo it probably won't charge.
    08-23-11 08:56 AM
    yes, it was actually a bunch of videos that I took. Would be interesting to know if they could have been saved but I suspect not.
    Two more things the playbook needs that a pc is capable of.

The ability to use a recovery program and to partition the 'hard drive'.

I tried a recovery program once, but it couldn't recognize the drive on the playbook.
    08-23-11 09:21 AM
    Glad to hear you got it back but sorry about those lost files.

BUT your story convinced me to do a backup of pics/videos RIGHT NOW. (that darn ip address keeps changing for me to get wifi sharing up!). My music/videos/etc are already copies of stuff on my computer - so it is content created on the pb that needs more vigilant backups.
    08-23-11 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD