Often times when using the Android player, you will realize that after you close the android app there is a chunk of memory that is missing. This memory remains absent ("utilized in the background") for the most part until a reboot or the playbook is in stand-by mode for sometime. I have found a nifty little solution to this. I launch 15 - 18 apps and have the playbook's memory go below 100mb or so. Afterwards, I kill all the apps and voila... All my memory is recovered. I suppose what this does is force QNX to prioritize and distribute the system RAM to the foreground applications... Thus completly killing the android player's memory leak (for lack of a better word). The system is able to recover all the memory that it would have after a fresh OS boot... Which is 650mb or so. The other 350mb is dedicated to the running of the OS.

Thought I'd share this bit of user experience... Perhaps it's a common know how to the more tech savy but hope it helps anyone experiencing the same problems. Another reason to never reboot your playbook!
    Last edited by digtech; 06-24-12 at 09:46 PM.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    06-24-12 08:50 PM
    The memory is not absent, the Android app continues to run in the background, and can display notifications and when you tap its icon again it opens quickly where it is instead of restarting. When the PlayBook runs low on memory it kills things, simple as that so you are forcing a kill and the app will not be in the background, will display no notifications and will take longer to load when you tap its icon again.

The OS preloaded android system makes it faster to start android apps but does take some memory if you don't need it.
    Last edited by hpulley; 06-24-12 at 09:03 PM.
    06-24-12 09:01 PM
    So let me get this straight? Even with QNX there are still memory leaks present? If this is the way it is going to be with BB 10 running QNX with apps open in the background all of the time, I don't know if I am going to be able to deal with that all over again. I thought with QNX it was going to solve the memory leaks? Apparently not
    06-24-12 09:04 PM
    Its not leaking memory. The OS is design to assign a portion of that memory to the android player as the person above mentioned. This allows the system to deliver the android notifications and reduces the time it takes for the android player to start.
    DJM626 likes this.
    06-24-12 09:11 PM
    The memory is not absent, the Android app continues to run in the background, and can display notifications and when you tap its icon again it opens quickly where it is instead of restarting. When the PlayBook runs low on memory it kills things, simple as that so you are forcing a kill and the app will not be in the background, will display no notifications and will take longer to load when you tap its icon again.

The OS preloaded android system makes it faster to start android apps but does take some memory if you don't need it.
    Well as ive stated in a previous Android player thread... thats very stupid, and its by no means the best way for a tablet thats suppose to be proficient at multitasking to be reserving a portion of memory, for apps that i may or may not use. How is it that QNX is reserving a whole 200mb for a dictionary app! That doesnt make any sense however you try to twist it. Im yet to encounter the android app that runs and gives notifications even when the android player is closed. That is not true. Even after running the player the 10th time, it doesnt load noticebly faster so that is very counter productive if you ask me. Kill the player and utilize that 200mb to run the sometimes laggy browser maybe? im sure less people would complain about checkerboarding if they knew that sometimes a whole chunk of memory is reserved for apps that u arent running. The point of the thread is RECOVERING that memory that is MISSING when nothing is running in the foreground.
    Last edited by digtech; 06-24-12 at 09:53 PM.
    06-24-12 09:38 PM
    Its not leaking memory. The OS is design to assign a portion of that memory to the android player as the person above mentioned. This allows the system to deliver the android notifications and reduces the time it takes for the android player to start.
    The BlackBerry Android subsystem is another example of inept software development by Research In Motion. When an Android-based application is closed by the user all memory associated with that application should be released immediately and no "missing in action" excuses please. And when I close an application I want it closed, not running in the background consuming resources. Hopefully, the new smartphones will not include the BlackBerry Android subsystem and avoid these headaches for the users. When I move to QNX on the smartphone I do not want a repeat of the Java memory issues nor the constant reboot requirement after installing or removing an application.
    06-25-12 12:50 AM
    You can try running that 'Memory Eater' thing that was posted by someone earlier.. That should in theory kill the app.. And free the memory..

I do not know if one of those Android app managers will work as expected..
    06-25-12 07:38 AM
    It would be nice if rim had provided a way to gracefully recover memory. I've done the "load as many apps as possible until Android shouts Uncle..." or just waited. Does not always work.

KermEd provided an app that needs to be sideloaded to recover memory. It just gobbles memory until the Android app finally closes. The version posted does not always work immediately.

I will say, I do find it interesting but inconsistent when I do suddenly get a notification that the other person has made a move in Words w/ friends even if there is NO trace that the game is still "out there" So notifications do work occasionally.
    06-25-12 08:38 AM
    Often times when using the Android player, you will realize that after you close the android app there is a chunk of memory that is missing. This memory remains absent ("utilized in the background") for the most part until a reboot or the playbook is in stand-by mode for sometime. I have found a nifty little solution to this. I launch 15 - 18 apps and have the playbook's memory go below 100mb or so. Afterwards, I kill all the apps and voila... All my memory is recovered. I suppose what this does is force QNX to prioritize and distribute the system RAM to the foreground applications... Thus completly killing the android player's memory leak (for lack of a better word). The system is able to recover all the memory that it would have after a fresh OS boot... Which is 650mb or so. The other 350mb is dedicated to the running of the OS.

Thought I'd share this bit of user experience... Perhaps it's a common know how to the more tech savy but hope it helps anyone experiencing the same problems. Another reason to never reboot your playbook!
    I am not doubting this workaround works, but what is the time comparison? If the Android player get slow, I just hit restart and quickly do something else or go make coffee or whatever. Restart (or shutdown and startup) takes just under 4 minutes (I timed it). Now you are suggesting using most of that time to open 15-18 apps AND kill each app gain? Can you time the effort to do that and compare to restart time? Doubt that yours is actually much faster. For me that 4 min restart time is more productive (but still hates that I have to do it - big pet peeve )
    06-25-12 09:43 AM
    Just so you guys know, this HAS BEEN posted before here on the forums.

You gotta oppen apps till you get an error (12, if I remember right.). When you start approaching the memory limit, apps will start closing on their own, just keep opening them (not only the big ones, open small ones too) till you get the notification.

When that happens, it means the Player is down and some memory is recovered. Till you boot, at least.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-25-12 09:56 AM
    I am not doubting this workaround works, but what is the time comparison? If the Android player get slow, I just hit restart and quickly do something else or go make coffee or whatever. Restart (or shutdown and startup) takes just under 4 minutes (I timed it). Now you are suggesting using most of that time to open 15-18 apps AND kill each app gain? Can you time the effort to do that and compare to restart time? Doubt that yours is actually much faster. For me that 4 min restart time is more productive (but still hates that I have to do it - big pet peeve )
    Do you actually own a playbook? Lmfao.... For people on the go, restarting the playbook isn't always an option. Lololol it literally takes 1 sec to click an app to open it. Roughly 25 secs to get 18 apps open and it's literally a swipe away to kill them. Less than a minute. It's not rocket science, what's to doubt. You are opening apps all the time when using ur playbook so I don't see the time and effort you speak of.

Well Stupid me for sharing a thought. I've come to realise that because of the usual bashing that people come to crackberry to dish out on the playbook that people always tend to go on the defensive even when intentions are kind. If you want to restart ur playbook no big deal, I find that my solution works for the two playbooks in my house. To each their own...
    Last edited by pkcable; 06-29-12 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Content Edit!
    06-25-12 10:20 AM
    The BlackBerry Android subsystem is another example of inept software development by Research In Motion. When an Android-based application is closed by the user all memory associated with that application should be released immediately and no "missing in action" excuses please. And when I close an application I want it closed, not running in the background consuming resources.
    As someone who has been in IT since 1966, I can see that you know very little about how an operation system works.
    06-25-12 03:56 PM
    The BlackBerry Android subsystem is another example of inept software development by Research In Motion. When an Android-based application is closed by the user all memory associated with that application should be released immediately and no "missing in action" excuses please. And when I close an application I want it closed, not running in the background consuming resources. Hopefully, the new smartphones will not include the BlackBerry Android subsystem and avoid these headaches for the users. When I move to QNX on the smartphone I do not want a repeat of the Java memory issues nor the constant reboot requirement after installing or removing an application.
    Friend... It doesn't work like that even on Android phones... But don't worry, it is a lot better on 2.1.

*rolls eyes*...
    06-25-12 05:18 PM
    Sorry for wasting your time by asking an honest question, arsehole. Are you insulted for me asking you to do a little testing and comparison?....
    Yeah... You have a playbook and asking me to do a comparison, really?...does that deserve an "honest" response. You really looking to compare launching 15 apps (literally 15 clicks) to a reboot sequence that takes 4minutes?....yea indeed you were looking to waste my time.

Before writing the thread I did a search and nothing came up, it's the first time uve come across the workaround so my mission is accomplished. Providing a simple solution to a continuing problem, whether it was said before, I didn't get the memo then. It has been a solution acquired through my own experience frm being on the playbook 24/7.
    06-25-12 05:46 PM
    Yeah... You have a playbook and asking me to do a comparison, really?...does that deserve an "honest" response. You really looking to compare launching 15 apps (literally 15 clicks) to a reboot sequence that takes 4minutes?....yea indeed you were looking to waste my time.
    ...... and suddenly it goes dark around me. What happened to the sun?
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-25-12 at 06:23 PM.
    06-25-12 06:10 PM

Before writing the thread I did a search and nothing came up, it's the first time uve come across the workaround so my mission is accomplished. Providing a simple solution to a continuing problem, whether it was said before, I didn't get the memo then. It has been a solution acquired through my own experience frm being on the playbook 24/7.
    Did I say you didn't figure it out by yourself? I said it has been posted before and it has, by goku_vegeta, robsteve and myself.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0/#post7377635

Now go chill out will you?
    06-25-12 06:12 PM
    Everyone chill out or Big Moderator will introduce the Big Chill.

I asked for a Memory Eating app in the App subforum (twice actually since I could not find my original post to renew my request) to take the place of loading/unloading 15+ apps and KermEd was gracious and provided an app. Someone else created a cheap tool to also do it.
    diegonei and rcm1301 like this.
    06-25-12 07:15 PM
    Did I say you didn't figure it out by yourself? I said it has been posted before and it has, by goku_vegeta, robsteve and myself.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0/#post7377635

Now go chill out will you?
    If you could read! I stated in my original post that maybe it's common knowledyge to more tech savy persons! But I didn't find that solution on crackberry, it was through my own experience that I realize that this worked. So I'm not claiming to be the founder of the solution..Ur the one that needs to chill... And u think u deserve credit??? (maybe ill edit my OP and give u all the thanks)... Fyi I've known this solution for quite awhile now... I just cannot be bothered half the time to create a thread.
    Last edited by digtech; 06-25-12 at 07:35 PM.
    06-25-12 07:27 PM
    If you could read! I stated in my original post that maybe it's common knowledyge to more tech savy persons! But I didn't find that solution on crackberry, it was through my own experience that I realize that this worked. So I'm not claiming to be the founder of the solution..Ur the one that needs to chill... And u think u deserve credit??? (maybe ill edit my OP and give u all the thanks)... Fyi I've known this solution for quite awhile now... I just cannot be bothered half the time to create a thread.
    And the point is? I didn't discredit your post. What are you complaining about?

I obviously can't read so feel free not to reply... :/
    06-25-12 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD