After seeing the performance comparison to the wifi model in the CB review it just doesn't seem worth the upgrade. I would have hoped it would have been quicker where in fact it looks almost dead even. Kind of disappointing given no change in resolution or other bits of hardware other than the radio. Am I missing something?
    08-30-12 10:52 PM
    1.5 GHz processor, 4G LTE radio, and NFC. Here's another comparision BlackBerry PlayBook 4G VS PlayBook | All Things Mobile // atmobile.ca

I think the general consenus is if you have a PlayBook, there's no need to go for the PlayBook 4G.
    Jamaicangirl81 and Harryl6134 like this.
    08-31-12 06:28 AM
    1.5 GHz processor, 4G LTE radio, and NFC. Here's another comparision BlackBerry PlayBook 4G VS PlayBook | All Things Mobile // atmobile.ca

I think the general consenus is if you have a PlayBook, there's no need to go for the PlayBook 4G.
    With those positives, don't forget about the 3 hour battery life. Not worth it.
    08-31-12 06:52 AM
    With those positives, don't forget about the 3 hour battery life. Not worth it.
    That's if you have the screen brightness on full and if you select LTE only.
    Given that the PB will select the network used by default and will go to wifi automatically when in a saved hotspot the killer LTE isn't that bad.

It is noticeable but isn't a major issue for me.
    08-31-12 08:31 AM
    Bridge is good but Bridge and Hotspot don't make up for built in network support. If you hotspot, you kill your phone battery.. worse than playbook dying.. and Bridge is not fast enough..
    08-31-12 09:41 AM
    Honestly, the price of a 4G/LTE Playbook is flat out rape. Yes, LTE can go up to, what.. 300 megabit/sec download speed. I don't know what cellphone service provider you use, but where I am, average LTE speed is only 10 megabit/sec... which is 1.25 Megabytes/second.

At home my Wifi playbook gets just a bit under what my wired PC gets in terms of Internet speed.. PB gets 1.5 Megabytes per second down, PC gets 1.65.

From my perspective.. being that I already have a Wifi playbook, I'd be crazy to buy an LTE model. Instead, I'd consider something like a pocket 4G/LTE device that offers a mobile hotspot for Wifi devices. They're less than $100. There are also ones that have built in SD Card slots... that's a nice convenient way to get more storage for your Playbook!
    Last edited by BennyX; 08-31-12 at 11:10 AM.
    08-31-12 11:08 AM
    I use Sierra Wireless AirCard 754S Mobile Hotspot (AT&T) and it works great. There is really no need to get the 4G LTE version as I am already getting LTE.
    Yes, I have a 32GB micro SD card in the device and I can use that to store stuff instead of on my Playbook.

Last edited by EWY; 08-31-12 at 12:47 PM.
    08-31-12 12:39 PM
    I use Sierra Wireless AirCard 754S Mobile Hotspot (AT&T) and it works great. There is really no need to get the 4G LTE version as I am already getting LTE.
    Yes, I have a 32GB micro SD card in the device and I can use that to store stuff instead of on my Playbook.

Click to view quoted image
    just out of curiosity, what are u paying per month for data? I mean, what's your cap before your speeds get throttled, or before you get charged extra?
    08-31-12 01:07 PM

but the processor isn't really adding any benefit other than maybe a second or two per the CB test. I like the idea of the radio but with the 9900 hotspot the original PB seems to work great. NFC - just don't see any current or widespread benefit for this on tablet unlike on a phone.
    08-31-12 02:27 PM
    but the processor isn't really adding any benefit other than maybe a second or two per the CB test. I like the idea of the radio but with the 9900 hotspot the original PB seems to work great. NFC - just don't see any current or widespread benefit for this on tablet unlike on a phone.
    Yep, and there's no difference in speed when inside an app.
    08-31-12 02:48 PM
    ...or even booting for that matter.
    08-31-12 03:17 PM
    I was really hoping for a 1280x720 screen with the same contrast and saturation the current PB has which is the best among tablets IMO.
    08-31-12 07:24 PM
    Ive had my playbook for about 11mths now, i see no real reason to upgrade to the lte version, for a number of reasons.
    Here in australia our lte roll out has just started, the pb 4g runs on 700 and 1700 but here in australia telstra my network carrier runs their 4g on 1800 .
    Secondly alot of people here in australia alotta people arent that keen with a second bill for their 3 or 4 gb device. We tether our tablets with our phones or in my case use bridge .
    Personally unless my pb dies i wont bother. We use the tablet for mainly pop3 email and some light web browsing and the girls use it for facebook .
    Internet speeds well if i need to have reasonable fast speeds 2-3mbps i tether it to my bold , otherwise use bridge or use the office wifi .
    The speeds below 1mbps are via when i had bridge connected the rest are either wifi or telstra next g mobile connections .

NB: my business plan i pay $100 per month, get unlimited text. Callz.mms and 3gb data plus BIS included
    Last edited by thefirm81; 08-31-12 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added footnote
    08-31-12 08:04 PM
    just out of curiosity, what are u paying per month for data? I mean, what's your cap before your speeds get throttled, or before you get charged extra?
    It is $50.00 for 5 GB and it is $10 for every GB over the limit. I have a FAN account so I do get a 25% discount. The cost is $41.36 with all the tax and fees. This is probably the way to go as I could use this HotSpot with my notebook or whatever that needs a net connection. I just watch the usage and keep it below 5 GB.

FAN = Foundation Account Number
    08-31-12 11:45 PM
    If you already have a WiFi PlayBook there is very little incentive to get a 4G LTE version, it's not worth the overall cost of ownership. Yeah, it's cool but not necc. by any means. Heck, you can't even use it as a 4G HotSpot -- I really hope RIM fixes that in a later update.
    08-31-12 11:50 PM
    If you already have a WiFi PlayBook there is very little incentive to get a 4G LTE version, it's not worth the overall cost of ownership. Yeah, it's cool but not necc. by any means. Heck, you can't even use it as a 4G HotSpot -- I really hope RIM fixes that in a later update.
    What do you mean? Can you not use your phone as a hotspot like you currently can with the wifi version or do you mean using the PB as a hotspot?
    Last edited by mhw100; 09-01-12 at 12:44 AM.
    09-01-12 12:16 AM
    The other thing I worry about in buying the 4G LTE is that is it seems to not be supported by any marketing by RIM that would create market demand and thus to create demand for developer's to get on board.
    09-01-12 02:39 PM
    My only concern is the 32gb storage. I don't want to buy the 32gb and couple month down the road a 64bg comes out eh
    09-01-12 02:46 PM
    Well although I live on the wrong side of the pond I have a friend over there and have got him to purchase one for me so I could well be the first owner of one of these in the UK. Why buy one? Well I have a 16Gb model ATM and find it too small and I travel alot and could do with the radio. There is no 4g here yet but it will run on 3g and data plans here are dirt cheap.
    09-01-12 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD