At home I have a Linksys e3000 router. When I tried on my PB with os 2.1 beta to test the Internet speed using speedtest.net. I was only getting less than 1Mb/s downloading. On my computer which also uses a wireless N card I can get 18Mb/s. And the test on PB was done right by the computer.

But If I test the speed at work which we use a wireless g router, the speed seems to be decent. We have a 10M Internet connection at work and I can get 8M downloading speed.

Any one else tried this and have you seen such huge difference with wireless n? I'm wondering if it is the wireless connection or the something else on the PB causing such a slow connection.
    08-14-12 08:05 AM
    the playbook is finnicky with wireless N. Especially if you flashed your router with DD-WRT. Make sure that in the security settings you're using WEP,WPA,WPA2 personal. not enterprise. and you're using AES for the algorithm. Otherwise the playbook has fits. I see much higher results on speedtest now.
    08-14-12 09:34 AM
    the playbook is finnicky with wireless N. Especially if you flashed your router with DD-WRT. Make sure that in the security settings you're using WEP,WPA,WPA2 personal. not enterprise. and you're using AES for the algorithm. Otherwise the playbook has fits. I see much higher results on speedtest now.
    I did flash the router with DD-WRT. But my settings are WPA2+AES. I don't experience any connection drop but only low speed.
    08-14-12 11:24 AM
    The problem with DD-WRT is twofold:

(1) it is a Frankenstein firmware where the open source people basically NEVER touches the actual radio source codes. All their efforts are spent on "cool" features like wireless bridge. You would download the latest DD-WRT firmware --- yet the radio codes maybe ancient. I switched back to stock firmware because I know that my stock firmware has a newer radio code than the DD-WRT firmware.

(2) a lot of default DD-WRT settings are wrong for most situations. A lot of default settings are for power users --- i.e. people who run summer camps and wants a mile of coverage.

Switch back to stock firmware and see if the speed would increase.
    08-14-12 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD