I bought a playbook about one week ago. I had never planned to buy one and we were going to get the Amazon Fire when it came out. But when I found out about the bridge capabilities with this and the price drop, well I was sold. My wife hated the idea as she wanted an iPad the most, but due to cost we planned on the Fire just for home couch use. Well skip forward a week and I have now purchased another playbook because I cant get my wife to let me have anytime on the first one! She lives on that thing now!

We are both newbs and are learning how to use it, but so far just having it to surf the web on normal web pages wherever we go is enough for us. Obviously I wish we had more apps like everyone of course but that is secondary to us. Google maps never seems to work right for some reason on it though. Anyway to make it work? We have our phone for maps but would be nice to use on the bigger screen. Angry birds would be nice as she loves that game and really wants to have it. I wouldn't mind either naturally. Any recommendations on fun playbook games that would make us forget the Angry Bird desires?

The second playbook I bought is used but described as being in mint condition and the seller has great rep on Ebay. Guess I will find out for certain when it gets here. I forgot to ask him if he has updated the OS though to the latest version. Do updates happen automatically for playbook owners like it does when you first take a new one out of the box, or do you have to manually go get it somewhere?

And unlike most, I like the fact that the playbook mirrors my 9930 and I dont see yet why I would want to have a separate email app on the playbook. I dont want my email on that to be honest, unless it is completely synched to my phone and I wont have to worry about tending to messages on both my phone and on this. That's cool then I guess. But for now I like it just being mirrored through bridge so I dont have to worry about mail and messages on a second device. I just wish I could play music and my videos that are on my 9930's memory card through the playbook. That would be...rad.
    10-26-11 12:57 PM
    It is what it is. Ignore the negative publicity about the company you will enjoy the Playbook more and more like me.

If you are tech savvy, you can update the PB to OS 2 and have Angry Birds Rio and Google Maps installed on the embedded Android virtual OS. Just have to do a little researching on the forums on how to do so.
    clowrym likes this.
    10-26-11 01:24 PM
    Welcome to the PlayBook family. Like you, I love my PB. It does a very fine job of doing just what I need to be done. E-mail is something for the phone for me. Reading on the PB is fine but the virtual keyboard keeps me away from much responding.

Check out Burn the City for an Angry Birds type game. Not my style but friends love that one.

For updates try the icon in the upper right corner and check. Update notifications do come along but if you miss one or if the software is not up to snuff you can process manually.
    10-26-11 01:24 PM
    I use Map Search for Google to get Google maps working. It is 2.99 I believe. Also try Battle Frogging if you like Angry Birds.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-26-11 01:27 PM
    It is what it is. Ignore the negative publicity about the company you will enjoy the Playbook more and more like me.

If you are tech savvy, you can update the PB to OS 2 and have Angry Birds Rio and Google Maps installed on the embedded Android virtual OS. Just have to do a little researching on the forums on how to do so.
    Agreed. Not too tech savy here but if its simply like updating a leaked OS on my phone than thats easy enough. I am just concerned it wont work as well as the latest officially released OS for us though if its just in dev beta right now. But as long as we can surf the web still via bridge and of course wifi and it is stable, then thats good enough for me

Welcome to the PlayBook family. Like you, I love my PB. It does a very fine job of doing just what I need to be done. E-mail is something for the phone for me. Reading on the PB is fine but the virtual keyboard keeps me away from much responding.

Check out Burn the City for an Angry Birds type game. Not my style but friends love that one.

For updates try the icon in the upper right corner and check. Update notifications do come along but if you miss one or if the software is not up to snuff you can process manually.
    Thank you for the tips! I will have to go find out about how to do a manual OS update on this feller once I get it if it turns out to be an older OS still. I would guess it's not too difficult to do and be something similar to any blackberry phone manual update...I hope
    10-26-11 01:32 PM
    I use Map Search for Google to get Google maps working. It is 2.99 I believe. Also try Battle Frogging if you like Angry Birds.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Thank you! Will look into those!
    10-26-11 01:32 PM
    Try Angry Apes, it's very similar to Angry Birds.

You can access your music from your phone.
    10-26-11 01:52 PM
    Try Angry Apes, it's very similar to Angry Birds.
    Gracias will check it out!

You can access your music from your phone.
    Ah yes...touche, touche. Videos would be cool though.
    10-26-11 01:58 PM
    want to buy mine?
    10-26-11 02:10 PM
    I would have yesterday for the right price. Unfortunately I don't have a desire to own 3 playbooks....yet.
    10-26-11 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD