This is the most dissapointing thing imaginable. The ability to side load is the only thing that makes this device worth anything. The app world is a total joke, the hardware is not all that impressive, if you don't have a wireless conenction when you first set up your playbook you can not use the damn thing until you find one (total bull in my book to require u to have a wi-fi conenction to access the device you paid for) and if you must re setup your wi-fi and there is a connection problem during set up you risk a system wipe which has heppend to me twice.
    The device just feels like it was bandoned half way in development and they just put a super low price tag to compensate.
    I really hope this is only rumor and I won't lose the ability to do the only worthwhile thing on the PB in order to gain the update benifits.
    Also don't give me any "gO gEt An I PaD u Loser PlAyBoOk IS fOr Us KoOl AltErnaTive PpL NoOb". Just becuz someone is unhappy with a prdouct doesn't give others the right to belittle them or assume they are an apple fan boy.
    I do enjoy the PB when it is working correctly it has a beautiful screen fantastic sound quality and being able to side load apps from actually well designed tablets makes it worth the money, without this ability though it is just a crappy half a.s.s. tablet
    ryder4587 likes this.
    09-29-12 08:00 PM
    I haven't heard that but I find mine very useful with nothing sideloaded. To each their own.
    09-29-12 08:11 PM
    09-29-12 08:13 PM
    I don't think they're going to disable Side-Loading, but what they are doing I believe is "Encrypting" the apps you download and make them tied to your PIN#. That way, you cant share apps you pay for and download with other people for free.

Side-loading as I understand will still be available as developers still need it for testing.
    bitek likes this.
    09-29-12 08:26 PM
    What rumor? Where are you getting your info from? You've been a member of this board for less than a month, have a total on 5 posts to your name, and somehow you know something that the rest of us don't know? Exactly, what is the source of your info?
    esk369, Harryl6134 and peter9477 like this.
    09-29-12 08:50 PM
    This is the most dissapointing thing imaginable. The ability to side load is the only thing that makes this device worth anything. The app world is a total joke, the hardware is not all that impressive, if you don't have a wireless conenction when you first set up your playbook you can not use the damn thing until you find one (total bull in my book to require u to have a wi-fi conenction to access the device you paid for) and if you must re setup your wi-fi and there is a connection problem during set up you risk a system wipe which has heppend to me twice.
    The device just feels like it was bandoned half way in development and they just put a super low price tag to compensate.
    I really hope this is only rumor and I won't lose the ability to do the only worthwhile thing on the PB in order to gain the update benifits.
    Also don't give me any "gO gEt An I PaD u Loser PlAyBoOk IS fOr Us KoOl AltErnaTive PpL NoOb". Just becuz someone is unhappy with a prdouct doesn't give others the right to belittle them or assume they are an apple fan boy.
    I do enjoy the PB when it is working correctly it has a beautiful screen fantastic sound quality and being able to side load apps from actually well designed tablets makes it worth the money, without this ability though it is just a crappy half a.s.s. tablet
    1. Alec Saunders, RIM's VP of Developer Relations: "We’re not getting rid of side-loading on the BlackBerry PlayBook OS or in BlackBerry 10." (source)

2. The hardware is actually really quite impressive, and even more impressive is the price considering the hardware you get. I don't know what you are comparing the hardware to but I think you are probably frustrated and added this one.

3. 2.1 will be getting rid of the required wifi connection during the setup (source)

So there you have it. Side loading should still be a go, and wifi connection at start up will not be necessary

EDIT: oh, and 4. I think this is another one that comes from frustration, but it is hard to deny that the PlayBook isn't impressively designed. The hardware is spot on in just about every sense, it is the apps (or lack thereof) that got them in trouble. That will change with BB10 (source). Also, it is hard to deny, comparing PlayBook native apps to Android native apps, that PlayBook's native app quality is a whole lot better... but you are probably looking more at being able to find quantity of apps. BB10 will allow you to have the quantity and quality.
    Last edited by BerryClever; 09-29-12 at 09:31 PM.
    scmosher and amjass12 like this.
    09-29-12 09:16 PM
    I know there is probably benefits to sideloading, but I. Have two PB and never sideloaded.
    Still its with me everywhere and I am always on it,if it's that useless for that reason why didn't you. By an android.
    kozmo68 and jsdhornby like this.
    09-29-12 09:20 PM
    I don't think they're going to disable Side-Loading, but what they are doing I believe is "Encrypting" the apps you download and make them tied to your PIN#. That way, you cant share apps you pay for and download with other people for free.

Side-loading as I understand will still be available as developers still need it for testing.
    Well that is not so bad, good to hear.
    09-29-12 09:32 PM
    1. Alec Saunders, RIM's VP of Developer Relations: "We�re not getting rid of side-loading on the BlackBerry PlayBook OS or in BlackBerry 10." (source)

2. The hardware is actually really quite impressive, and even more impressive is the price considering the hardware you get. I don't know what you are comparing the hardware to but I think you are probably frustrated and added this one.

3. 2.1 will be getting rid of the required wifi connection during the setup (source)

So there you have it. Side loading should still be a go, and wifi connection at start up will not be necessary

EDIT: oh, and 4. I think this is another one that comes from frustration, but it is hard to deny that the PlayBook isn't impressively designed. The hardware is spot on in just about every sense, it is the apps (or lack thereof) that got them in trouble. That will change with BB10 (source). Also, it is hard to deny, comparing PlayBook native apps to Android native apps, that PlayBook's native app quality is a whole lot better... but you are probably looking more at being able to find quantity of apps. BB10 will allow you to have the quantity and quality.
    I'll take your word for it as far as hardware goes. If BB 10 is everything you say it will be then my outlook on the PB will change drastically. TY for the info.
    BerryClever and jsdhornby like this.
    09-29-12 09:34 PM
    I am continually amazed that people still seem to have pride in "not" sideloading. Sideloading provides a whole universe of quality apps not otherwise obtainable thru the BB app store. If you are not sideloading, try it! It's easy and makes the PB totally usable. And since 2.1, there's absolutely no problem in running Android apps.
    osbook and tinker2000 like this.
    09-29-12 10:24 PM
    I am continually amazed that people still seem to have pride in "not" sideloading. Sideloading provides a whole universe of quality apps not otherwise obtainable thru the BB app store. If you are not sideloading, try it! It's easy and makes the PB totally usable. And since 2.1, there's absolutely no problem in running Android apps.
    I think it is really more of a personal preference and need. There are some things I wanted and sideloaded (Kindle for example), but I really, really hated it and deleted it. I want something native, something that didn't run on an emulator, and something that looked really nice. I don't like lag, I don't like functions missing or functioning like a different operating system than QNX, and I like a particular look to an app, a professional quality look to it. All of those things I think are a thresh hold issue, and I have a very low thresh hold. So it is primarily a personal preference in my opinion.

As for buying apps on App World, if it is ported then I would never buy it, not even for 99 cents. That is only because I bought a PlayBook and I want to support a developer who makes PlayBook apps, not Google apps and is trying for some extra income. Again, that is me.

I also use a Mac, so sideloading is a bit more of a pain in the bvtt (v=u, CB censored that "bad" word in the past on me) than using a Windows system.
    09-29-12 11:00 PM
    Some do not need or want those quality apps but it's great we have the option to or to not.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-30-12 06:37 AM
    I must admit I'm a lover of modding and tinkering. I have a Pre2 phone that I modded to run Preware etc. so I could get access to more apps etc.

However, had my Playbook for a month now and haven't felt the need to sideload anything.

I have got everything I need from the standard source.

I guess coming from the WebOS/Pre2 world prepared me well for two aspects of Playbook ownership. One is the swiping/gestures and two is the sparse, almost forgotten apps infrastructure.
    09-30-12 11:02 AM
    To each his own but I have pretty much everything I need to get through the day without sideloading and every one of these are native aps.

Files and Folders for organization of my file both on my playbook and my cloud accounts.
    Nexus for sharing files between the 2 playbooks we have in the house.
    ReadonTouch Pro for for viewing website of line (bought this one to support developer because with bridging to my phone I always have access to the Internet).
    Moneyplus for tracking my expense.
    Simple Stock for tracking stocks.
    Globe News and weather eye, I'm sure you can figure those out.
    Conqu and Groovy Notes for organization and note taking at work.. LinkNote is also pretty good but I find the other two I use more. Also trying out Notee, just because it looks pretty good.
    Grocery List for shopping, once the list is done you can email it to anyone.
    The Score mobile, NFL News Feeds and Basketball Central for sports news and updates. Looking forward to seeing Score Mobile on BB10.. The playbook app is already pretty cool so I'm sure it's going to rock out.
    Slotch for bedside clock.
    plus games plus sirius through browser plus on and on.

If sideloading is for you that's great however I didn't buy a playbook for sideloading apps. I bought it for what it was, but more importantly what it's going to be once it has BB10 running on it. Until then I support the men and women who will make a living from developing and bring apps to the playbook.

Edit: I forgot: Slacker Radio, Zino, Ontario highway traffic, poynt, mapping compas, blaq (for twitter), Inlink (for Linkin), Cozi, Solar express and NASA TV, TV Links... But I guess if you really want you could sideload something for each one of those.
    Last edited by kozmo68; 09-30-12 at 11:59 AM.
    webmn likes this.
    09-30-12 11:03 AM
    I know there is probably benefits to sideloading, but I. Have two PB and never sideloaded.
    Still its with me everywhere and I am always on it,if it's that useless for that reason why didn't you. By an android.
    At this time sideloading is important. lack of many native or even android based apps such as twitter, pinterest etc. makes sideloading important. i understand the issue of piracy and i know rim needs to address it. now most of native apps are available free for download in some places online. the solution that rim came up with i think is perfect.
    nofiz likes this.
    09-30-12 11:10 AM
    I must admit I'm a lover of modding and tinkering. I have a Pre2 phone that I modded to run Preware etc. so I could get access to more apps etc.

However, had my Playbook for a month now and haven't felt the need to sideload anything.

I have got everything I need from the standard source.

I guess coming from the WebOS/Pre2 world prepared me well for two aspects of Playbook ownership. One is the swiping/gestures and two is the sparse, almost forgotten apps infrastructure.
    Welcome and although the number of apps are limited next to the other two major app stores, there are some really great native apps who are supported and being developed for BB10.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-30-12 11:48 AM
    I have four playbooks and they all work great. I won't tell you to go get a ipad because if you find this playbook limiting without sideloading with the pad you can't put Anything to it unless you buy through itunes. That's limiting.

I don't think they will eliminate the sideloading because it just gives the user more options.
    09-30-12 11:54 AM

Why would they do that? This would prevent apps from being integrated through a users ecosystem and potentially requiring users to repurchase apps again on even replacement devices. I don't think tying apps to the pin# is a good solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    09-30-12 12:10 PM
    They just want to prevent the piracy aspect of sideloading that is currently prohibiting or stopping Android developers from porting their apps over to the Playbook. The rationale is that if people can find these bar files and sideload whatever they want, it would be a more attractive option than buying the app from app world, won't it?
    09-30-12 12:14 PM
    Why would they do that? This would prevent apps from being integrated through a users ecosystem and potentially requiring users to repurchase apps again on even replacement devices. I don't think tying apps to the pin# is a good solution.
    I think he misspoke, as your App World account is tied to your BBID, not your PIN.

Apps that are available for more than one device (e.g. BB10 phone and tablet) are expected to be installable on both devices without additional cost, provided they are both registered with the same BBID, just as it is now with the PlayBook.
    09-30-12 01:08 PM
    Ignoring the grammatical and spelling errors, I think you are suggesting that because he wants sideloading, he should have bought an Android device. I'd like to point out that the two are unrelated. "Sideloading" refers to installing any BAR file via a method other than App World. This is not limited to (but does include) converted Android apps. For example, there are emulators posted on these forums that are not on App World, and require sideloading.
    09-30-12 01:25 PM
    This is the most dissapointing thing imaginable.
    This rumour gets started every time an OS update is announced. So far the rumour mill has always been wrong.
    09-30-12 02:25 PM
    I think he misspoke, as your App World account is tied to your BBID, not your PIN.

Apps that are available for more than one device (e.g. BB10 phone and tablet) are expected to be installable on both devices without additional cost, provided they are both registered with the same BBID, just as it is now with the PlayBook.
    yes sorry, i made a mistake. i meant BB ID, not PIN#.
    09-30-12 06:17 PM
    This is the most dissapointing thing imaginable. The ability to side load is the only thing that makes this device worth anything.
    being able to side load apps from actually well designed tablets makes it worth the money,

Well...look at it this way.. you could always pick yourself up a second Playbook, keep that one updated, and keep the sideloading ability on the old one by not updating beyond the OS version that's on it.

But I don't think you have anything to worry about, really.
    09-30-12 07:25 PM
    Sideloading for developer testing using debug tokens will still be allowed. I'm certain of that. That's how I test out my apps.

Also, I am sure old apps on the internet can still be sideloaded because they were not assigned to a specific playbook. Unless the update requires all sideloaded apps to be assigned... Then old unassigned apps won't be allowed, but developers will still be able to test their apps because they can register the PIN of their test device easily.

But any NEW apps submitted to the app store will be assigned to your Playbook once downloaded. So even if your root your playbook and somehow copy the BAR file off, you cannot share it with others because that BAR will be encrypted using your device PIN or something along those lines.

My understanding is that the sideloaded apps were all obtained either by using an APK to BAR converter, or someone rooted and copied BAR files off their Playbook which were first legitimately downloaded from appworld.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    09-30-12 08:10 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD