Great story.

If I manage to get my way, I'll have 800 service techs using the PB by the end of the year. Just need to knock some clarity into my boss's thick skull.
    Snap51 likes this.
    01-27-12 08:27 AM
    i love reading stuff like this, and the word workhorse is spot on.

apple has completely brainwashed ppl, they spend tons of money on advertising. yet when you break it down to the actual apple product in your hands the bb/pb is far superior of a product.

i know i went on a tangent but i needed to vent.
    While it is good to hear some markets see PB as better product for certain uses (I agree 7" portability + dedicated apps will do the job for doctors/nurses), it HAS to extend to general public.

And I don't want to hear this is all because of "Apple brainwashed people and advertisement" type of argument again, which is simply ignoring reality.

PB has to appeal to general public to sell and RIM needs to make money off by selling it, sooner than later.

Even in this story, iPad was out of choice due to size. I want to hear people choosing PB for its strong points besides obvious reasons - performance, feature, app selection.
    01-27-12 08:32 AM
    Awesome story, bruh.
    01-27-12 08:34 AM
    @rotorwrench I have a suggestion: Take your Playbook (if you have one or borrow) to your next appointment, record a video of your and the offices expiriences with the PB and sell it to RIM so that they can use it as a commercial. The most frustrating thing about the PB is that its features, and sometimes existence is a secret.
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-27-12 08:48 AM
    when it comes to blackberry,some people cant see the forest through the trees(iphone android).
    azrin640 and PoJoTheCrooked like this.
    01-27-12 08:59 AM
    I am totally anti-apple but I have to admit that they make many good products, I don't think apple devices are so popular because of marketing. I do think that RIM is weak on marketing, because even now, most people don't even kmow what a Playbook is.
    01-27-12 09:20 AM
    While it is good to hear some markets see PB as better product for certain uses (I agree 7" portability + dedicated apps will do the job for doctors/nurses), it HAS to extend to general public.
    The BB phone took off because it first took over the work place. It didn't keep the lead because it lagged behind on the sparkle. I believe if RIM were to actively promote the PlayBook as a work place tool (which is their goal), then people will take it from the office to the home.

And, when I say "actively promote", I mean giving PlayBooks at a discount to companies that develop customized apps or field/industry specific apps that are sold on the market place. Once you get your foot in the door, then more PlayBooks would be bought as well as BB phones, BES, subscriptions, etc....
    01-27-12 09:51 AM
    Thanks for sharing this! I'll have to tell my family members who are doctors. They might want to consider the same approach!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-27-12 09:58 AM
    I'm actually working on an app for a private medical clinic that will be used for their patients' yearly checkup.

I've already done a few tests with them and so far they're loving what it can do and how they can do things much more efficiently so they're already planning on adding more apps.

They have 5 PlayBooks so far but I know they'll be getting more!
    Nice, I am developing LIS (Laboratory Information System) for small and medium hospital which use a browser based apps and I am planning to integrate pb for doctors.
    01-27-12 10:33 AM
    Oh yes, the PlayBook is the best tablet on the market.
    01-27-12 10:46 AM
    Woops double post.

Cool story man, thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by FMB8900; 01-27-12 at 10:48 AM.
    01-27-12 10:46 AM

And I don't want to hear this is all because of "Apple brainwashed people and advertisement" type of argument again, which is simply ignoring reality.

PB has to appeal to general public to sell and RIM needs to make money off by selling it, sooner than later.

Even in this story, iPad was out of choice due to size. I want to hear people choosing PB for its strong points besides obvious reasons - performance, feature, app selection .
    Read the post again. Size was the first reason for the iPad, then she brought up security through bridge, strong performance and UI.

I agree with you 100% on the other. Whereas RIM's main niche and primary focus used to be enterprise and business, to stay viable, it needs to make more effort to appeal to the general consumer, through stronger advertising campaigns, which is where Apple has excelled,and as much as I hate to admit it, additional general consumer features. Which I think RIM is starting to do.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-27-12 10:51 AM
    The BB phone took off because it first took over the work place. It didn't keep the lead because it lagged behind on the sparkle. I believe if RIM were to actively promote the PlayBook as a work place tool (which is their goal), then people will take it from the office to the home.

And, when I say "actively promote", I mean giving PlayBooks at a discount to companies that develop customized apps or field/industry specific apps that are sold on the market place. Once you get your foot in the door, then more PlayBooks would be bought as well as BB phones, BES, subscriptions, etc....
    I agree. I don't necessarily believe they need all the same apps as the ipad or other tablets/phones. Their "specialty" or "niche" has always been the business world. Most corporate folks don't care for frivilous apps (meaning time wasters) on their devices. Even while at the airport, it's more often than not about emails and spreadsheets.

Apples and oranges, man. Apples and oranges.
    01-27-12 10:58 AM
    Read the post again. Size was the first reason for the iPad, then she brought up security through bridge, strong performance and UI.
    Unfortunately, the only thing post stated was "there were other concerns". If they were the security through bridge, of course iPad would be out of question. If the security through bridge was a *requirement*, they have no choice except PB.

I don't find performance deciding factor or advantage over iPad. They are both equally good at that. UI of OS is subjective, but I must agree PB's UI is very well done, but I don't know if that will be such a critical factor.
    01-27-12 11:02 AM

I've been trying to use PB as main device at work, without BB. It has not gone very well at all so far, and the marginal success was mainly due to Android apps. I'm hoping big change in this with OS 2.0.

The scary trend is that many companies are now offering non-BB phones to employees. Our company has begun doing that, offering both BB and iPhones for business use and many (if not all) are choosing iPhones.

What this means is RIM cannot rely on PB + BB bridging configuration as main driver for PB in corporate market. PB needs to become a complete solution by itself, which is what OS 2.0 is supposed to address.

Advertisements will help, but as it stands there's not much to show without bridge setup. Looking forward to refreshed advertisements with OS 2.0 though.
    01-27-12 11:10 AM
    RIM needs to know about such success stories - I am sure many of their employees read these threads.

I would love to see RIM actively encourage businesses in this way (discounts and/or developer assistance) and to advertise/market such successes which would be a great start to changing public perception of RIM and the Playbook.
    01-27-12 11:20 AM
    The main apps called HIS (Hospital Information System) such as used in clinics and hospitals can easily converted to run on QNX since it is usually based on HTML5. No adjustment needed.
    So the hospital converted the application to run on playbook which is connected to their server.
    If I am not mistaken a few company like the insurance company and a lot more did this, also I see the future in its usage.
    ^^ This finished to plant a huge smile on my face.
    Finally, there we are ...
    Business, safety, reliability ... and apps from anywhere ...
    Loved it !
    Thanks to the OP and U.
    azrin640 likes this.
    01-27-12 11:27 AM
    Unfortunately, the only thing post stated was "there were other concerns". If they were the security through bridge, of course iPad would be out of question. If the security through bridge was a *requirement*, they have no choice except PB.

I don't find performance deciding factor or advantage over iPad. They are both equally good at that. UI of OS is subjective, but I must agree PB's UI is very well done, but I don't know if that will be such a critical factor.
    I understand what you're saying, but in the end, as you said, it is subjective, I believe. They had an iPad to use, they preferred the UI of the PB, they also thought the performance was better, whether you, I or anyone else feel different, they thought otherwise. Some prefer the UI, size and features of the iPad or Galaxy Tab. Good for them, they should use what works for them.

What I have personally seen and think is important for RIM to address, is the reaction of people who have used another tablet and then tried the PB. People are surprised at how much they like it, and question why they've never tried one before or heard more about them. There are also those that prefer what they have, but I've seen more of the former.

I recommend to anyone who asks me, to try them all, read reviews, research and then decide what fits your needs most. I have loaned my PB out quite often, and the most common result has been a new PB purchase for RIM.
    01-27-12 11:39 AM
    RIM needs to know about such success stories - I am sure many of their employees read these threads.

I would love to see RIM actively encourage businesses in this way (discounts and/or developer assistance) and to advertise/market such successes which would be a great start to changing public perception of RIM and the Playbook.
    They are giving us a new PB for updating to BES 5
    01-27-12 11:41 AM
    The scary trend is that many companies are now offering non-BB phones to employees. Our company has begun doing that, offering both BB and iPhones for business use and many (if not all) are choosing iPhones.

What this means is RIM cannot rely on PB + BB bridging configuration as main driver for PB in corporate market. PB needs to become a complete solution by itself, which is what OS 2.0 is supposed to address.
    I know where you are comping from. The execs want to use their iPhones and Adnroids on the network, but don't understand that we have 800 (had 1600 before the downturn) techs that have a custom business application.

So, here comes Mobile Fusion. We can put the execs iOS or Android equipment on the network so that they access what they need, with their own phone. However, if they need a company application, then they have to get a BB. And with the BB 7.1 devices, we can offer mobile hotspots to their laptop if needed.

I think it all comes down to the "sparkle" with the execs. If I were to show them one of our graphical dashboards running the 50" tv off of the PlayBook and remotely controlled by a BB phone, they would drop their other phones immediately in the trash.
    Mattman3234 and CDM76 like this.
    01-27-12 01:00 PM
    And with Balance, you can keep secure or proprietary data separate from personal, which will allow BES administrators to not be put in the position of tyrants by having to lock down phones and PBs. It will be nice to be able to have some personal apps on our BES phones.
    01-27-12 05:42 PM
    You just have a crappy IT dept...LoL I can download and install almost any app on my BES device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-27-12 05:46 PM
    LOL I'll admit I call them names sometimes, but it's not them so much as what we're restricted to because of security requirements. Balance is the only way to securely manage sensitive and personal data on the phone and PB without conflicts, as explained to me. Its a common problem with any phone on enterprise if security is an issue.
    01-27-12 06:12 PM
    Beast mode
    BB10FTW and rotorwrench like this.
    01-27-12 09:01 PM
    Awesome! I returned my ipad2 in lest than 24hrs for many reasons, but bottom line it isn't a PlayBook. Great story, thanks for sharing.
    Out of curiousity, what were some of the reasons??
    01-27-12 09:08 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD