08-07-12 01:37 PM
61 123
tools
    RIM did NOT discover the issue. Users did.

The statement, 'Customers that have already successfully updated to version 2.0.1.668 are not affected and can continue using their PlayBook with the updated software' is beyond belief. What are they trying to say?, that those who updated are ok but those that didn't would have been the ones that would have had problems? Is the single most absurd statement that RIM have ever come out with.
    The key word there is "successfully". I suspect that the update process was not working in some situations.
    08-06-12 08:12 PM
    I understand now! They were taking the weekend off. Maybe they should have done what every multi-national tech company does when they post an update then takes a holiday. Put up a sign on the support page that says 'Goin Fishin!'
    They do have a team that works during the holidays --- which is why they have the staff who looked over the submitted bugs, pinpointed the problem and decided to pull the update.
    trinipoco likes this.
    08-06-12 08:44 PM
    RIM had this to say:

RIM discovered an issue with the PlayBook software 2.0.1.668 update. The update has been removed. Customers that have already successfully updated to version 2.0.1.668 are not affected and can continue using their PlayBook with the updated software.

Where did OS 2.0.1.688 for the BlackBerry PlayBook go? | CrackBerry.com

But yes, I see your point.. It's nice they gave us a reason but alas, not everyone reads CB.
    Today @michaelclewley tweeted "The update was pulled due to update issues from 1.0.7. No there reasons."
    08-06-12 08:50 PM
    The part I don't understand is where it says that whoever already updated will not be affected, yet there IS something wrong with the update and therefore had to be pulled. And somewhere else on their site even state to recommend downgrading to previous bulid. WTF is that supposed mean??? Either it's fine or it isn't!!!
    What a BULL!
    Today @michaelclewley tweeted "The update was pulled due to update issues from 1.0.7. No there reasons."

So, unless your one of the rare people running 1.0.7 you won't be affected.
    08-06-12 08:54 PM
    RIM did NOT discover the issue. Users did.

The statement, 'Customers that have already successfully updated to version 2.0.1.668 are not affected and can continue using their PlayBook with the updated software' is beyond belief. What are they trying to say?, that those who updated are ok but those that didn't would have been the ones that would have had problems? Is the single most absurd statement that RIM have ever come out with.
    No matter how much in-house testing your do, there's nothing like releasing software to thousands of average consumers to reveal any problems.

We see the same thing we're I work too.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    08-06-12 08:58 PM
    I understand now! They were taking the weekend off. Maybe they should have done what every multi-national tech company does when they post an update then takes a holiday. Put up a sign on the support page that says 'Goin Fishin!'
    If that where true, then who worked on the problem and eventually decided to suspend the update?
    08-06-12 09:01 PM
    Red hot eh.

My PB64 is perfect after the upgrade to .668.

You should use a infrared thermometer to check the temperature. That way you can quote a number and not just 'red hot', 'white hot' etc... lol

Wouldn't it be funny if the reason for pulling was the update server has crashed and no one there this long weekend to reboot it. Could that be a possibility?
    Are you seriously? If rim tell their corporation. Clients they don't have support during Canada long weekend,clients will run away. At corporation level,support is 24 *7.

Don't kidding yourself
    08-06-12 09:40 PM
    It is my opinion that .668 has been a very destructive update that has led many non tech savvy users to update and proceed business as usual without knowing their Tablets are being ruined by overheating and battery drain.
    You're welcome to your opinion but opinions aren't facts. I upgraded successfully and have experienced no symptoms of overheating or battery drain. There has to be a logical reason why some users were affected and others weren't. If there were corrupted data from some servers or files the common sense approach is to shut them all down until you have identified the source(s) of the problem and correct it. To say that the update itself is destructive doesn't match up with the facts. RIM has an issue no doubt and from all accounts have moved quickly to mitigate the risk to as many users as possible. I'm glad I haven't had any issues with the build and I am also glad this issue is is being fixed now and hopefully won't impact a major update such as 2.1 or BB10.

I understand the irritation factor for many people but I don't regard this as a major issue. RIM acted quickly as soon as it became apparent that some users were having problems. We all want perfection but I think RIM acted as they should have in this case.
    beavertail2 likes this.
    08-06-12 09:43 PM
    How many times do I have to say --- it's a public holiday today in Canada.

These people don't even have a summer vacation this year --- and all they have is this 3 day long weekend.
    LOL. You must be RIM HR VP lol
    08-06-12 09:45 PM
    This was all methodically planned so that when they release 2.1.0.811 with BBM and Skype this week everyone will shout to the mountains that RIM is awesome and the PlayBook is the best tablet experience hands down! RIM jedi mind tricks if you wanna call it that.

Now just imagine if they could pull off those three things right now with the launch of PlayBook 4G. They would probably sell and sell well along with creating momentum for BlackBerry10. Heck bgr couldn't write a bad article about that no matter how much they wanted too.

It's not gonna happen but man Oh man the what ifs.....Just those 3 things would breathe some much needed life into this company. For now it is what it is, I still love my PlayBook and I still love my phone and I'm crazy about the threesomes we have ,so ill wait for BlackBerry10 because right now the relationship is still pretty hott.
    beavertail2 likes this.
    08-06-12 09:52 PM
    still waiting for 2.1 haven't even bothered with 668
    08-06-12 09:57 PM
    kick the can along the alley..we'll get there...668..2.1...BB10...or any other dumb updates for the beta tablet...2013..soon...
    08-06-12 10:14 PM

So, unless your one of the rare people running 1.0.7 you won't be affected.
    You never know you know...

Attachment 115114

"WHAA?!" Was pretty much my reaction when I saw the report on my app's download...
    08-06-12 11:06 PM
    Is everyone complaining about this issue using a piece of technology for the first time? Do you have any idea how complex this stuff is?
    08-07-12 03:04 AM
    That is the whole point. They should clearly explain what is going on.

'It probably means' or 'There must have been' is conjecture.

They still haven't changed the main support page for os updates which is the place to
    start. It still shows the latest update as... 2.01.688

Astonishingly, mind bogglingly amateurish.
    Totally agree with you, but I'm sure I heard RIM say that "Amateur Hour is Over!"
    08-07-12 04:04 AM
    I don't always see abnormal heat production but I have several times since the update, plus my email doesn't work at all. And this update isn't supposed to have anything to do with email...
    08-07-12 04:29 AM
    They actually posted on their website not to update, but downgrade to .358 .
    They didnt gave me more information..
    Where is that post? I saw nothing like that. RIM has proven track record of no explanation needed.
    08-07-12 05:12 AM
    Red hot eh.

My PB64 is perfect after the upgrade to .668.

You should use a infrared thermometer to check the temperature. That way you can quote a number and not just 'red hot', 'white hot' etc... lol

Wouldn't it be funny if the reason for pulling was the update server has crashed and no one there this long weekend to reboot it. Could that be a possibility?
    Don't assume that simply because your PB is not experiencing problems, others are not. One of my brand new PBs is RMA'ed, going back tomorrow because the video malfunctioned and won't reboot. When the PB froze and bricked, my son was playing a graphic intense game. After reading all the comments about 668, I now suspect that the overheating killed the PB hware. If this is happening on a wide scale, RIM is right to pull the update and we'd be nuts to not downgrade. Esp those who are well beyond the warranty.
    beavertail2 likes this.
    08-07-12 06:42 AM
    If it is about an issue upgrading from 1.0.7, why did they recommend for everybody to downgrade to 2.0.1.358???
    I think there is something more serious going on. This recommendation sounds more like a hope that as much people as possible will follow. A mandatory downgrade would be too embarrassing.
    08-07-12 06:55 AM
    I would say that the majority of the typical Crackberry PB users are just dandy with the 668 update because we normally use it for non-graphic intense apps. When my son handed me the 668 frozen PB after hrs of nothing but gameplay, it was pretty dang hot. I may be wrong about this, but it would sure explain the lack of details surrounding the downgrade. We were lucky this PB is still under warranty.
    08-07-12 07:18 AM
    Whether individual users had problems with the 668 update or not - The Real Problem with the update is the lack of any information or statement from Rim regarding the situation.

No excuse. None.

It shows an utter contempt for their users.
    I have to deal with this on a daily basis. There is a such thing as too much information and much of which will just confuse most users. You give them the information they need to move forward and that's it.

I am extremely interested as to why they pulled the .688 update (I upgraded 3 playbooks with out issue), but my wife could really care less. She just wants to know her pb works.

If the update really only effected users on 1.07, I would have to think that this would be a small subset of the PB population.
    08-07-12 07:20 AM
    Why they allow PlayBook's to be running around on 1.0.7 is beyond me. Have they not learned from the fragmentation of Android or their current phone OS's.

One OS! Even in the future, you have 1 OS, with several levels of performance related features depending on the performance of the device.

An OS that adapts to the devices performance of the device.
    08-07-12 07:30 AM
    Could the 1.07 explanation be a.....

JeepBB likes this.
    08-07-12 07:46 AM
    Why they allow PlayBook's to be running around on 1.0.7 is beyond me. Have they not learned from the fragmentation of Android or their current phone OS's.

One OS! Even in the future, you have 1 OS, with several levels of performance related features depending on the performance of the device.

An OS that adapts to the devices performance of the device.
    If you really believe that the only reason RIM pulled 668, with the consequent impact on their reputation for competence, because a (surely vanishingly small?) number of PB owners with 1.07 were having problems... then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to show you! It's for sale!
    08-07-12 07:47 AM
    No overheating....no email connection issues....bridge connection is faster.....WiFi connectivity is stronger and performance is enhanced while using the Browser....Those of us who were not exotic in which previous OS version we were currently running seem to be unaffected..... side loaded apps still running smoothly and now perfromance on side loaded apps has improved also.....is that not what an upgrade is supposed to do?
    beavertail2 likes this.
    08-07-12 07:51 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD