Hi all, I am in the UK and love my new playbook. Unfortunately I've got a pretty long train commute to work and would love to be able to watch tv shows and movies on my PB - the wifi connection is really bad on the train so I'd need to be able to have them downloaded on my PB. Any really plain and simple explanations of any options I have to do this would be so appreciated! I'm totally non-techy, apologies for the really dim question.
    samson47 and lcgoldman like this.
    02-23-13 10:46 AM
    You can download them before the train straight to your Playbook or take them from your computer and copy/paste them onto your Playbook through the usb cable.
    02-23-13 01:08 PM
    if you or your friends have DVD's that you like, you can convert them via pc w/ Freemake Video Converter,,, Free Video Converter | MP3 MP4 AVI 3GP MKV DVD | FREE Download ,,, i've been using it lately & it's a good program,,, make sure to do a security scan before install,,, also try here, Free Movies Streaming | Watch New Movies Online for Free No Download Free Movies Streaming , not a great selection but it's a start...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 02-24-13 at 09:13 AM.
    ChrisMay and mezra14 like this.
    02-23-13 02:04 PM
    Just download a movie of the net in Avi or MP4 format.
    02-23-13 02:51 PM
    icefilms.info direct download to your playbook...or PC for that matter
    02-23-13 03:00 PM
    ...and laugh out loud a lot because Playbook CAN play avi, DivX, Xvid et - unlike most of the others (if not all of the others...). It has to be the most unadvertised feature of the Playbook - yet it's one area where it STILL trounces the competition.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    02-23-13 05:05 PM
    I find it easiest to transfer wireless from your computer to your playbook. You should purchase KalemSoft media player app as well. Will play almost every type of files.
    mezra14 likes this.
    02-24-13 06:11 AM
    Thanks again for this great tip, thanks to Freemake I've spent my commuting time this week catching up on some of my old box sets :-) Love it!
    SEAWARRIOR and djmm2 like this.
    03-01-13 07:47 AM
    Thanks again for this great tip, thanks to Freemake I've spent my commuting time this week catching up on some of my old box sets :-) Love it!
    good 2 hear,,, just b sure to select playbook in the dropdown menu so it renders correctly,,, i oopsed that way a couple times...
    03-01-13 02:44 PM
    Here's what I do with my own DVDs. I'm a bit of a movie junking so I have tons of movies and tv shows. And more and more, I watch them on my devices.

1. I copy the DVD to my hard drive with a program like MakeMKV

2. Once the DVD is copied, I shrink it for space with Handbrake. I usually choose the old iPhone 480 setting, which makes the file sizes smaller and don't look bad on a small screen, IMO.
    03-01-13 02:50 PM
    Here's what I do with my own DVDs. I'm a bit of a movie junking so I have tons of movies and tv shows. And more and more, I watch them on my devices.

1. I copy the DVD to my hard drive with a program like MakeMKV

2. Once the DVD is copied, I shrink it for space with Handbrake. I usually choose the old iPhone 480 setting, which makes the file sizes smaller and don't look bad on a small screen, IMO.
    ^^^yeah,,, freemake does that well,too,,, not to say one is better than the other,,, but i know it'll reduce the size of a movie by up to 75%,,, i.e. a 2GB dvd will compress to 500-600MB w/ great resolution...
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    03-01-13 03:25 PM
    ^^^yeah,,, freemake does that well,too,,, not to say one is better than the other,,, but i know it'll reduce the size of a movie by up to 75%,,, i.e. a 2GB dvd will compress to 500-600MB w/ great resolution...
    Looks awesome, but Windows only it seems.
    03-03-13 08:31 AM
    hmm,,, didn't know that,,, you're using Mac i guess??? did you try it??? i didn't see where it said win only,,, it has a ton of options & it's super ez to use...
    03-03-13 02:25 PM
    if you or your friends have DVD's that you like, you can convert them via pc w/ Freemake Video Converter,,, Free Video Converter | MP3 MP4 AVI 3GP MKV DVD | FREE Download ,,, i've been using it lately & it's a good program,,, make sure to do a security scan before install,,, also try here, Free Movies Streaming | Watch New Movies Online for Free No Download Free Movies Streaming , not a great selection but it's a start...
    Hi, Does Freemake work with commercial (ie copy-protected) DVDs (eg the copy of 'Pulp Fiction' I bought from HMV last year), or do I need something like DVD Decrypter to remove the encryption/copy protection first?
    03-04-13 05:57 AM
    hmm,,, didn't know that,,, you're using Mac i guess??? did you try it??? i didn't see where it said win only,,, it has a ton of options & it's super ez to use...
    Yep - on Mac. Freemake does sound great though. Only runs on Windows XP/Vista/7
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-04-13 07:51 AM
    Hi, Does Freemake work with commercial (ie copy-protected) DVDs (eg the copy of 'Pulp Fiction' I bought from HMV last year), or do I need something like DVD Decrypter to remove the encryption/copy protection first?
    it's worked w/ all the dvds i have & they're all legit copies so i'd say yes...
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-04-13 11:29 PM
    it's worked w/ all the dvds i have & they're all legit copies so i'd say yes...
    Cool, will give it a try when I have a bit of spare time. Thanks
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-05-13 02:45 PM
    Cool, will give it a try when I have a bit of spare time. Thanks
    np,,, yw...
    03-05-13 03:14 PM
    Sorry I'm also a newbie... Just bought a season of Downton from iTunes but would like to copy the entire season onto PB. Is it just as easy as click and dragging in the proper folder in PB? I want to put it on my wife's PB 16 gb. Should I go through the process of reducing the size first?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge guys
    03-05-13 03:24 PM
    Sorry I'm also a newbie... Just bought a season of Downton from iTunes but would like to copy the entire season onto PB. Is it just as easy as click and dragging in the proper folder in PB? I want to put it on my wife's PB 16 gb. Should I go through the process of reducing the size first?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge guys
    I would use this program particularly since you have a 16 gigger,,, freemake will compress the movie for you,,, on the botton of the page sidescroll to blackberry & just make sure you pick playbook from the dropdown menu,,, it takes about 10 mins. for an avg. dvd,,, it's free to download & free to use,,, just be sure to do a security scan before install,,, the link above will get you there...
    03-05-13 09:33 PM
    ROFL...

NONE of you suggested this to him? Click the image for more info... I think it's available in the UK, but even if it isn't, a proxy can solve the issue.

a real newbie - how can I download tv/movies to my PB?-theres-also-new-video-store-lets-you-download-rent-movies-your-playbook-selecti.jpg

Oh, and welcome to the forums, OP>
    03-05-13 09:46 PM
    how 'bout just providing good solid info instead of linkbait...
    03-05-13 10:02 PM
    ROFL...

NONE of you suggested this to him? Click the image for more info... I think it's available in the UK, but even if it isn't, a proxy can solve the issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theres-also-a-new-video-store-that-lets-you-download-or-rent-movies-on-your-playbook-the-selecti.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	139396

Oh, and welcome to the forums, OP>
    It's not available in the UK.

And what sort of proxy did you have in mind...

Also - why would going through those hoops, be a better / easier option? First he / she would have to get the app, then they'd have to try and fool the PlayBook into thinking it wasn't actually in the UK, then they'd magically, after all that, have the luxury of re-buying stuff they may well have already?

Am I missing something?
    03-07-13 02:44 PM
    who runs the marketing of the Playbook at RIM sorry Blackberry, are they dead?
    03-07-13 08:51 PM
    who runs the marketing of the Playbook at RIM sorry Blackberry, are they dead?
    wrong thread,,, but the short answer is they don't really market it anymore, but it is supported well as far as customer service goes...
    03-08-13 05:53 PM