01-23-13 02:10 PM
39 12
tools
    Where did you get it from? Link please? Do we really have to use side loading to get all useful apps onto PB? When is this going to get fixed? Is this really the future of PB - side load all apps?
    I forget where I got it, since I've downloaded bar files from all over the place. Anyhow, here is a link to version 6.3.0, which, like I said, crashed on me if I tried to go into settings to "cache" maps, but still has a usable navigation function. http://www.mediafire.com/?8he09dob5y9tacy
    03-09-12 06:35 PM
    Telmap Navigator is amazing! The android version has been converted to .bar and works perfectly on my playbook.

See here: Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras
    03-10-12 02:48 PM
    RIM has a GPS app already. Blackberry Traffic works quite nicely on my Torch. There are times when the traffic problem/accident indicator is more accurate than my Garmin!! Wouldn't one think RIM would make it available for the Playbook before some developer writes code to convert a GPS app to the Playbook!! Just a thought!!
    03-10-12 03:51 PM
    Telmap Navigator is amazing! The android version has been converted to .bar and works perfectly on my playbook.

Seems that their service is available by subscription only.
    03-10-12 04:41 PM

Maps are ONline or offline?
    03-10-12 05:44 PM
    ^^AFAIK, maps are online.
    08-13-12 01:12 PM
    I use Sideloaded Google Maps, and for Caching Google Maps i use "Maps-" which is again sideloaded.
    Works Perfectly for me.
    My whole city is cached, and directions can be asked for in real time thanks to BB Bridge.

That said however, there need to be better native driving apps

Also i am sure if BB10 hits the market we will see a huge increase in quantity and quality of all kinds of apps for the Playbook. Not because BB10 is going to be awesome (which it is .... most likely) but because for the first time BB Phones and Tablets will share the same OS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using CB App
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    08-13-12 01:37 PM
    In BB App World.

Has OFFLINE maps you download, works great, voice guidance (a bit wonky/choppy), but it stores all your maps on the Playbook.
    You pick the state you want and download 'em.

A much easier interface to use than Maggellan. Maggellan's only issue is downloading the maps to the cache at the level you want. You CANNOT download a whole state (s) tiles, and then bring then to street level as this cause a condition that states that the file number count is to high. You have to zoom in/down to a lower level to get all the streets to save.

It does work, but as it states in the user guide, the downloading to cache for an entire state can be "time consuming.

if maggellan fixes this, OR gives a step by step to do this ( I've tried different workflows and map picks for 4 weeks and still have not gotton the state of California completely down to the street level.

so for right now, Navigator seems to work the best, at this time.........

Waiting for Maggellan update(s) to hopefully rectify this issue.

C
    08-13-12 02:31 PM
    Both Navigator, which Carl mentioned above, and OsmAnd are in App World (OsmAnd is free). Both use Open Source Maps for offline downloading, and each offers multiple online choices such as Google, Bing, etc. Carl's comment about being "wonky" is also correct, but they do provide voice guidance. From my own experience, BlackBerry Traffic (free on Bold 9900, even on AT&T, but somewhat basic) and AT&T Nav (Telenav) at $9.99/month are more reliable and faster, primarily because getting GPS on PlayBook can also be tricky. I don't know if 4G PlayBook improves that.
    08-13-12 04:39 PM
    Is there ever going to be a full functioning GPS Navigation Application for Playbook? Like Navigon, Tomtom with on device maps.

I had TeleNav on my blackberry for a few years, it was great when drive local in town, but it became useless when drive far away out of town, and it's very expensive too $10 /month + data usage.

I guess Blackberry and Playbook is so far the only mobile phone and tablet that does not have a Real GPS navigation application.

I still like Blackberry and Playbook, but I do really hope RIM work on those missing features seriously.
    Try the Osmand (Open System Map Android). It is better that the Google navigation as it hae not only turn-by-turn navigation, but also the rerouting feature. Something you would get in Tom Tom or Garmin.

Besides rerouting, there is offline feature which is great for out of town navigation where you might not have Internet. Offline maps around the world and multiple languages as well, are available.

Copy and paste of what I wrote in another thread.

First I list all the options:
    1) For maps, you can use online map or offline map. Online map you have a choice of using Google maps, Mapnik, CycleMap or others. Offline map you can download from the Open Source Map.
    2) For routing, you can use online routing or offline routing. Online routing, I have Cloudmade and YOURS. Offline routing is Osmand.

For online, it means you have Internet connection. Offline means no Internet connection.

So there are a few combinations.
    1) Online map with online routing
    2) Online map with offline routing
    3) Offline map with online routing
    4) offline map with offline routing

The routings all work.

For the voice navigation,
    #1 works perfectly, along with rerouting.
    #2 and #3, I believe works fine. I need to try it again. Easily confused when there are some many options.
    #4 has some bugs. I suppose being offline there is no frequent update and map information is a bit out of date.

In conclusion, Osmand is better than the Google Map already. Osmand can do the Google baseline (online map with online routing). Osmand outshines Google navigation in terms of rerouting.
    Osmand will be one more step ahead of Google map when it perfects its offline voice navigation. It is 90% there as it is still in 0.8.1 beta. I look forward for the first release of the Osmand.

Hope this help. Go and have fun with the Osmand on your Playbook!!!
    esk369, BigAl_BB9900 and suzieque like this.
    08-13-12 08:19 PM
    I don't understand why no one is trying viewranger. It can download maps for offline use and has really good GPS support. There are also a number of third part maps that can be downloaded to it. They say that fifty percent of mountain rescue teams in UK use it for guidance in their work.

It is available in Appworld for download.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-02-12 07:50 AM
    Did you all forgot that:

- BB10 maps will be powered by TomTom;
    - Playbook will get BB10

I stick to my Bold for GPS/Turn by turn, but I can't wait to TomTom away with my PB.
    09-02-12 10:00 AM
    I've prepped my standalone tomtom for a trip this coming week. It is such a pleasure. All maps, US, Canada and Europe are on the unit. Yes, they are now older but still pretty good for getting around.
    09-02-12 06:41 PM
    I've prepped my standalone tomtom for a trip this coming week. It is such a pleasure. All maps, US, Canada and Europe are on the unit. Yes, they are now older but still pretty good for getting around.
    I tried Osmand and it is not ready for prime time. Poor maps and flaky navigation. A stand alone GPS is no doubt the best answer if getting some where is the aim, rather than coming up with another use for a PB

Having said that, I used an old iPaq for navigation for years and it still works well. Unfortunately maps are dated and there are no updates. (from iNav/iGuidance/Navteq). I presently use a stand alone GPS (Nokia500) which turned out to be a very poor GPS. But it was based on a WindowsCE platform (as are several GPSs) On-line hackers published ways that made it possible to load alternative GPS software. There were illegal hacks of many well known systems available, but I used a public domain program and still use it today, albeit with about 4 year old mapping.

One obstacle I see for PB, is that much of the development is for phones with limited memory. The units I have have removable SD cards that can store any amount of mapping, so no need for wifi or cell connection. the PB has enough memory, but it seems developers don't design for it's use. In this respect it seems technology has gone backwards. I don't hold out much hope for better BB10 gps, because of the same problems and the desire to sell data time.
    01-23-13 02:10 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD