Is there ever going to be a full functioning GPS Navigation Application for Playbook? Like Navigon, Tomtom with on device maps.

I had TeleNav on my blackberry for a few years, it was great when drive local in town, but it became useless when drive far away out of town, and it's very expensive too $10 /month + data usage.

I guess Blackberry and Playbook is so far the only mobile phone and tablet that does not have a Real GPS navigation application.

I still like Blackberry and Playbook, but I do really hope RIM work on those missing features seriously.
    03-09-12 02:20 PM
    First of all, it's not RIM's responsibility to turn its tablet into a TomTom. If a third-party developer sees a way to make such an undertaking reliable and thus profitable, then some day we may see an app.

There are two practical reasons, however, why the PB is not well suited for this application. First, the internal battery is not rated for the long-term temperature extremes of a typical automobile---especially when located near a hot windshield. Second, the unmoveable internal GPS antenna may not be in an optimal orientation to provide adequate satellite reception in a metal-roofed vehicle.
    VanCity778 likes this.
    03-09-12 02:48 PM
    First of all, it's not RIM's responsibility to turn its tablet into a TomTom. If a third-party developer sees a way to make such an undertaking reliable and thus profitable, then some day we may see an app.

There are two practical reasons, however, why the PB is not well suited for this application. First, the internal battery is not rated for the long-term temperature extremes of a typical automobile---especially when located near a hot windshield. Second, the unmoveable internal GPS antenna may not be in an optimal orientation to provide adequate satellite reception in a metal-roofed vehicle.
    Good excuses.

Actually, a few years ago, Garmin had tried to build a GPS navigation for Blackberry, but they were not allowed to have the map on-device. The reason of cause that RIM want the money for Data Usage. Garmin end up to follow the same model like Telenav to charge $10 dollar a month for a internet based GPS service.

If you are saying BB's battery is not as good as other mobile phones, then I have nothing to say.
    03-09-12 03:08 PM
    Is there ever going to be a full functioning GPS Navigation Application for Playbook? Like Navigon, Tomtom with on device maps.

I had TeleNav on my blackberry for a few years, it was great when drive local in town, but it became useless when drive far away out of town, and it's very expensive too $10 /month + data usage.

I guess Blackberry and Playbook is so far the only mobile phone and tablet that does not have a Real GPS navigation application.

I still like Blackberry and Playbook, but I do really hope RIM work on those missing features seriously.
    The GPS is there, RIM has provided the API's and the programming tools, they can't do everything. It's up to developers to provide the apps. RIM has provided the feature.

Have you checked out Magellan Compass in App World? It doesn't provide turn by turn...yet but it's coming and it's already an awesome app. Check them out in the apps forum where discussion about the app and upcoming features is going on.

There are several other GPS enabled apps I app world including What's Up, another awesome app if you ever want to know about the stars and planets you can see in the night sky.

It all depends on what you mean by "a real GPS program"
    03-09-12 03:08 PM
    Good excuses.

Actually, a few years ago, Garmin had tried to build a GPS navigation for Blackberry, but they were not allowed to have the map on-device. The reason of cause that RIM want the money for Data Usage. Garmin end up to follow the same model like Telenav to charge $10 dollar a month for a internet based GPS service.

If you are saying BB's battery is not as good as other mobile phones, then I have nothing to say.
    Can you provide a source for this?
    03-09-12 03:10 PM

There is no valid reason why the PlayBook could not be used in a car for navigation. I have done so with Magellan Compass as I know several other CB'ers have. Also have you not seen the QNX Porsche videos, I believe there were at least 3 Playbooks installed.
    eternalemb and TomJasper like this.
    03-09-12 03:16 PM
    Why bother with the PB for GPS ? Your Blackberry can do a better job. There are tons of apps. Seems like a waste of a perfectly good tablet to use it in this manner. But that's just my opinion.
    03-09-12 03:19 PM
    Waze on my phone works great (turn by turn voice instructions and real time traffic) and is free but it would be very cool to get Waze for Playbook just to have that extra viewing area. I would use it...
    03-09-12 03:31 PM
    There are a lot of people who may not care about the GPS with on-device map but there are also a big number of BB users want it since the day they introduced Blackberry with build GPS chips and MicroSD card slot (like 8800).

So many years passed by, there is still none! I don't care about all the excuses, this is a feature that as a BB user wanted. If other vendor can do it, BB surely can. It's really a matter of they care it or not!
    03-09-12 03:38 PM
    Why bother with the PB for GPS ? Your Blackberry can do a better job. There are tons of apps. Seems like a waste of a perfectly good tablet to use it in this manner. But that's just my opinion.
    It seems like there's some that wants to replace their BB with a PB.
    03-09-12 03:57 PM

Why do I hear this all the time? Lack of this and that on PB is not RIM's responsibility? Well, isn't PB RIM's product?

RIM may not develop such application themselves, but getting developers to do it for RIM's product is clearly in RIM's hand, not yours, not mine, or anyone else's for that matter.

I see it as a killer application for PB, a good off-line GPS software and good vehicle mount, it will become a killer in-car navigation and entertainment system. 7" portable navigation systems are very popular in far east, and accessory makers will jump on it to.

Right now, the GPS hardware in my PB is pretty much useless, again due to lack of suitable application for it.
    03-09-12 04:04 PM

What?!?

RIM is AWESOME! QNX is AWESOME! Android Player *will be* AWESOME!

I love the promise of Google Nav working in the near future. Do you realize Google Nav works in the Android Player- using Bridged data??? (Unfortunately it works for a split second though. I heard with hotspot it works flawllessly )

Wait til RIM makes Android Player more awesome, just wait... man I CAN'T wait

boy, some people

Posted from my computer, on my way out the door to go home, and just for laughs opening Telenav *free navigation om my Bold 9930 on Sprint wireless network <-- see I did my research
    03-09-12 04:26 PM
    I must agree with yeek a full voice turn by turn system with the maps saved on my bb or pb is required. People have to stop accepting second best. I had tom tom on the dell pda with bt gps receiver 6 years ago then moved it to the xda orbit 2 and so on. BB is the only mobile that does not have this type of solution.
    03-09-12 04:29 PM
    The next version of Magellan Compass will offer turn by turn navigation as well as offline map caching.

You plan a route while over wifi, map tiles are loaded to the PB and off you go, disconnect wifi and navigate.
    03-09-12 04:30 PM
    What?!?

RIM is AWESOME! QNX is AWESOME! Android Player *will be* AWESOME!

I love the promise of Google Nav working in the near future. Do you realize Google Nav works in the Android Player- using Bridged data??? (Unfortunately it works for a split second though. I heard with hotspot it works flawllessly )

Wait til RIM makes Android Player more awesome, just wait... man I CAN'T wait

boy, some people

Posted from my computer, on my way out the door to go home, and just for laughs opening Telenav *free navigation om my Bold 9930 on Sprint wireless network <-- see I did my research
    So are you saying everything is AWESOME because it will eventually work as people expect, but we don't know exactly when that will be, just know that all this make it AWESOME? Oh, this is AWESOME!!

Oh, Google Nav isn't available on App World, and ones I got from goodereader.com isn't google nav, and I certainly wouldn't rely on something that often crashes to provide real time directions. I'd rather have a good native offline GPS.
    Last edited by conix67; 03-09-12 at 04:39 PM.
    rjedge54 likes this.
    03-09-12 04:37 PM
    Google maps, which can be sideloaded, has turn by turn voice guided navigation. I have version 5.9.0, which while glitchy, actually works and allows you to pre-cache a number of maps. There are a few other versions of Google maps out there- I don't know if they work so well or have navigation- I tried loading version 6.3.0 but trying to get into settings to try and download maps caused the app to crash.
    03-09-12 04:45 PM
    Google maps, which can be sideloaded, has turn by turn voice guided navigation. I have version 5.9.0, which while glitchy, actually works and allows you to pre-cache a number of maps. There are a few other versions of Google maps out there- I don't know if they work so well or have navigation- I tried loading version 6.3.0 but trying to get into settings to try and download maps caused the app to crash.
    Where did you get it from? Link please? Do we really have to use side loading to get all useful apps onto PB? When is this going to get fixed? Is this really the future of PB - side load all apps?
    03-09-12 04:49 PM
    Good excuses.

Please enlighten me as to how RIM would receive any money from data usage?
    03-09-12 04:53 PM
    I believe just mater of time, the better gps app will come (like android copilte), because playbook physically has the GPS chip unless there is policy to prevent that happen. I am using converted android gps app, it works fine in PB.
    03-09-12 05:01 PM
    There are a lot of people who may not care about the GPS with on-device map but there are also a big number of BB users want it since the day they introduced Blackberry with build GPS chips and MicroSD card slot (like 8800).

So many years passed by, there is still none! I don't care about all the excuses, this is a feature that as a BB user wanted. If other vendor can do it, BB surely can. It's really a matter of they care it or not!
    It's not a matter of whether they care or not, at all. It's a matter of resources and expertise. If RIM provided all the apps that many people keep asking (and for free) for then there would be no resources left for them to work on the hardware and OS, and SDK's etc. They shouldn't distract themselves away from there core strengths and try to be too many things to too many people.
    kbz1960 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    03-09-12 05:13 PM
    Google maps does not allow local map storage and has a limit to user cached map data.
    03-09-12 05:17 PM
    Good excuses.

Incirrect re the Garmin app. They had one up to 6.x, at a $90 flat license fee. The problem was it was restricted to a singlle device - upgrade your phone and you had to pay again. I managed to get them to waive that through 2 upgrades but they just said no. Given I think their priciing model is antiquated I won't be going back, even though it was a good app. It's bott of a moot point anyway as they don't have an app for 7.x.

Anyway, I agree we need a true GPS app. And if the antenna and temperature issues are such a problem, someone better let Apple know because they have a dam4 good GPS app for the iPad.

- R.
    03-09-12 05:25 PM
    It's not a matter of whether they care or not, at all. It's a matter of resources and expertise. If RIM provided all the apps that many people keep asking (and for free) for then there would be no resources left for them to work on the hardware and OS, and SDK's etc. They shouldn't distract themselves away from there core strengths and try to be too many things to too many people.
    The difference between Android users and Blackberry users; android users don't make excuses as much as Blackberry users do. This latest excuse of yours implies that RIM is not run efficiently, they cannot multitask. Do you really think RIM is that poorly run?

Apple does not have a Navigation app, they have encouraged developers to make it happen. RIM can do this, easily. If it is not being done, it is because of two things. 1. they lack lack the means to make it happen. 2. They feel it is not a need because their user base are "settlers". Personally, I think it is option number 2. Too many people quick to explain off every flaw.
    Last edited by jbestman; 03-09-12 at 05:54 PM.
    03-09-12 05:52 PM
    Hmm...
    The 7"mount I bought for my Playbook for GPS use showed me just how much I CAN'T SEE OUT OF THE WINDOW OF MY TRUCK!! As a result the mount now fits my 9930 perfectly in portrait mode. Telenav is AWESOME! Just AWESOME!

Google Nav will be awesome in the future, but until then I'll drive safely and... GO TELENAV!!
    03-09-12 06:04 PM
    Google maps does not allow local map storage and has a limit to user cached map data.
    I'm not sure what the difference is. It's true there is a limit to cached maps, 10 maps total with each map area being 10 x 10 mile squares, I think. This is probably enough for most people most of the time. The point is, you can get full map detail without being on wifi. The biggest problem, as I see it, is it seems you have to be on wifi to plan your trip- just not during the course of your trip.
    cleveland216 likes this.
    03-09-12 06:26 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD