Well, had my heart set on a TouchPad but now that HP has almost killed it wont be holding my breath for new devices anytime soon. Played with my Mother in Law's Playbook and was pleasantly surprised... My wife wants one now for our anniversary.

I have a few questions. Is is worth it to get the extra storage? 32g or 64g? Will likely be playing some video, music etc... Does it have an extra storage capabilty (SD)?

Would also like to get a bluetooth keyboard & speakers. Also want to print directly to a bluetooth printer. Will it handle doing this smoothly or is it cumbersome?
    02-22-12 12:07 PM
    1.) Storage - more is always better, since there is no external (SD) storage slot. I'd go for the 32 or 64 myself. 16GB can be hard to turn up at the awesome $199 price though.

2.) Bluetooth Keyboard & Speakers - most bluetooth keyboards should pair nicely with the PB & A2DP audio is now working so speakers should function as well. I'd wait for confirmation from others first though, or do some searching for specific models & cases where people have had success. If you have a BlackBerry phone, you can use that keyboard via BlueTooth/BlackBerry Bridge, and that works nicely now.

3.) BlueTooth Printer - I can't comment on this one specifically. I have a WiFi printer, and I send e-mails w/ attachments to an e-mail address from the PB and this prints okay. A BlueTooth Printer though... I'm guessing is not supported yet.
    Last edited by BrizzadMan; 02-22-12 at 12:16 PM.
    02-22-12 12:11 PM
    U wont be disappointed with the playbook, its awesome,though it doesn't have extra storage, i think 64 gigs is more than enough, and at 300$ its a steal, its amazing, the speakers itself are pretty good, and im getting a bluetooth keyboard soon also, idk about the printer thing so if anyone can fill us up with that its appreciated, but everything else its awesome, go abead ans buy one!
    02-22-12 12:13 PM
    I bought and filled a 16gig pretty quickly with music apps and games so went with a 32 gig and love it. There is no sd memory though.. There is the bluebox? App that gives you 50gig of online storage when u download there app and sign up (all free) so along as you have a net connection you can kinda consider cloud storage....
    Bluetooth stuff works fine with the pb but I personally haven't tried to print anything as I don't have a bt printer and the pb has 2 front berry nice sounding speakers so I've never needed to try bt speakers.. I'm sure there is probably a way to print via bt printer but can't confirm that .
    The crackberry search engine is your friend when it comes to anything playbook related though hope that helps
    Last edited by Alt-F4; 02-22-12 at 12:21 PM.
    02-22-12 12:17 PM
    Well, had my heart set on a TouchPad but now that HP has almost killed it wont be holding my breath for new devices anytime soon. Played with my Mother in Law's Playbook and was pleasantly surprised... My wife wants one now for our anniversary.

I have a few questions. Is is worth it to get the extra storage? 32g or 64g? Will likely be playing some video, music etc... Does it have an extra storage capabilty (SD)?

Would also like to get a bluetooth keyboard & speakers. Also want to print directly to a bluetooth printer. Will it handle doing this smoothly or is it cumbersome?
    hold on a second, what do you mean HP has 'almost killed' the touchpad? its been discontinued since last August, at least in canada.

it does not have SD card capabilities so get at least 32gigs.

the speakers on the playbook are second to none, you probably don't need bluetooth ones, not sure on the printer though.
    02-22-12 12:19 PM
    If budget allows get a 64 gig as if you buy a unit wth less memory there is no upgrade path.... I manged to fill up my 16 gig in less than a month.... As for Bluetooth... as posted they should work... As for the printer you may want to contact RIM directly as I have not heard any working but he OS 2 only dropped yesterday.... The printer issue may be more what model printer you have vesus being bluetooth..... good luck.... and if you go Playbook welcome to the community....
    02-22-12 12:20 PM
    32 GB would be advisible based on your video requirements. I have a bunch of movies on mine and have about 10 GB free. At the moment there is not ability to add storage to the playbook.

Bluetooth keyboard and mouse should work just fine and many have been using them already.

I don't believe it can print to a wifi or bluetooth printer yet. but i haven't looked into it yet.
    02-22-12 12:27 PM
    If by movies and music you mean voluminous collection of DRM free media from various niches of the Internet then I'd definitely go with the 32gb model. I have the 16gb model and it's manageable but now I regret not getting more space as a 720p movie can take ~2.5 gigs alone. So could consider the quality of your movies -and to a lesser extent music- in your decision.

As for email I'm not sure about bluetooth but some users here were able to print wireless by using a printer with an email address and sending a file to print it.
    02-22-12 12:30 PM
    If you can get the 64GB for $299, buy it. Heck, you can buy two 64GB for the original price of one 32GB. Do it man.
    02-22-12 12:34 PM
    hold on a second, what do you mean HP has 'almost killed' the touchpad? its been discontinued since last August, at least in canada.

it does not have SD card capabilities so get at least 32gigs.

the speakers on the playbook are second to none, you probably don't need bluetooth ones, not sure on the printer though.
    Thanks for all the input guys. I meant Webos not TP.

My question in reality is if I have 2 or 3 bluetooth device connected at the same time with PB will it work smoothly or cough up an hairball?
    02-22-12 12:37 PM
    32 GB would be advisible based on your video requirements. I have a bunch of movies on mine and have about 10 GB free. At the moment there is not ability to add storage to the playbook.

Bluetooth keyboard and mouse should work just fine and many have been using them already.

I don't believe it can print to a wifi or bluetooth printer yet. but i haven't looked into it yet.
    Just how many movies are you talking here? What is a bunch? I am asking because one day I will get a Blackberry PlayBook to bridge with my 9900 and would like to know how many movies the Playbook can actually handle? Right now I have a 32GB Micro SD card on my 9900 and I have 25 movies on there.
    02-22-12 03:07 PM
    I have both a TouchPad (since early November 2011) and a Playbook (since early this month) and honestly, IMO the Playbook is a better device largely because it has much better build quality. (The gesture interface on the Playbook is also a little better than the gesture interface on the TouchPad IMO; the TouchPad does not have a "back-swipe" gesture like webOS smartphones do.) The TouchPad probably has a slight edge with apps, but that's largely due to webOS smartphone apps being able to run on the TouchPad (either in a scaled screen version or in a mini, smartphone-sized screen version). With the gesture interface similarities between Blackberry QNX OS and webOS, you should really like the Playbook. The built-in speakers are spectacular for a tablet. I concur with everyone else that you'll want a 32 GB or 64 GB if you are putting a lot of media on the device.
    02-22-12 03:20 PM
    I have both a TouchPad (since early November 2011) and a Playbook (since early this month) and honestly, IMO the Playbook is a better device largely because it has much better build quality. (The gesture interface on the Playbook is also a little better than the gesture interface on the TouchPad IMO; the TouchPad does not have a "back-swipe" gesture like webOS smartphones do.) The TouchPad probably has a slight edge with apps, but that's largely due to webOS smartphone apps being able to run on the TouchPad (either in a scaled screen version or in a mini, smartphone-sized screen version). With the gesture interface similarities between Blackberry QNX OS and webOS, you should really like the Playbook. The built-in speakers are spectacular for a tablet. I concur with everyone else that you'll want a 32 GB or 64 GB if you are putting a lot of media on the device.
    The speakers sound truly excellent on this device and plenty loud as well.
    02-22-12 03:26 PM
    I went for the 16gb cos i bought right at the beginning when PBs were big bucks. If I was buying now I'd certainly go for at least 32gb.

Despite my (personal) disappointment with OS 2 the PB is still a great tablet ... Well build and nice to use.

Be careful of some bluetooth keyboards ... Sure they all work ... ie the letters and numbers work, but some of the other symbols are hard coded, so they only map correctly on a US keyboard layout. The best thing to do would be to take the PB with you and try them out. Also my preference would be a keyboard with a mouse/trackerball included ... You need this for the gestures !

I find the bluetooth range very good for headsets, speakers and keyboards.
    02-22-12 03:44 PM
    The speakers sound truly excellent on this device and plenty loud as well.
    I was referring to the Playbook in my comments about the speakers above.
    02-22-12 04:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD