I want to take advantage of the black Friday sale. If I buy an hdmi cable, can I download a movie onto my playbook and then watch it it by simply plugging one end of the hdmi cable to my playbook and the other end to my tv? thx
    11-22-12 04:42 PM
    Yes you can. You need an hdmi x micro hdmi

http://www.amazon.ca/GTMax-Micro-Bla...bUvbUpU7741882
    castoridae likes this.
    11-22-12 04:48 PM
    what about the Blackberry high speed HDMI cable? It costs $16.. versus $4.99 for the one from Amazon?
    11-22-12 10:28 PM
    what about the Blackberry high speed HDMI cable? It costs $16.. versus $4.99 for the one from Amazon?
    Found original Blackberry high speed HDMI vs generic but both will work.

Buy.com - RIM HDMI Cable - HDMI for TV, Monitor, Projector - 6 ft - 1 x HDMI (Type A) Male Digital Audio/Video - 1 x HDMI (Micro Type D) Male Digital Audio/Video
    11-22-12 10:47 PM
    Go for the amazon one, save yourself $11.
    11-23-12 01:26 AM
    The Amazon link, was just an example. But to be honest, I have a BB one and one I got from Amazon for. $.05, Both work great.
    castoridae likes this.
    11-23-12 04:38 AM
    11-23-12 06:37 AM
    After checking all the sale sites mentioned, I see quite a price difference, but one cost approx. $10 + $5 for shipping, so about the same. I did end up buying lots of toys for my BBPB from the Crackberry site; with the discount and free shipping, not bad. This has been my newbie experience. Thx so much.
    11-23-12 07:43 AM
    I know i'm in the UK but ebay has plenty of micro hdmi -> hdmi cables for a couple of bucks. I've had no issues with using these to play movies full screen on TV's with great quality after placing files on the PB. You can buy official - or you can save your cash & get a cheapo which will work just as well
    11-23-12 10:27 AM
    I know i'm in the UK but ebay has plenty of micro hdmi -> hdmi cables for a couple of bucks. I've had no issues with using these to play movies full screen on TV's with great quality after placing files on the PB. You can buy official - or you can save your cash & get a cheapo which will work just as well
    I think my problem is that I'm a relatively new Blackberry user. Just got my Playbook this spring, and don't know any f2f people with one, where iPod people are everywhere. That means I'm not as sure when buying generic vs BB stuff. Thx
    11-23-12 11:43 AM
    I think my problem is that I'm a relatively new Blackberry user. Just got my Playbook this spring, and don't know any f2f people with one, where iPod people are everywhere. That means I'm not as sure when buying generic vs BB stuff. Thx
    The most important factor in choosing an HDMI cable is electrical signal shielding. Everything else is personal preference for 99.9% of the population. I bought HDMI cables from ShopBlackBerry, ShopCrackBerry, and BestBuy.
    DC506 and castoridae like this.
    11-23-12 12:35 PM
    The most important factor in choosing an HDMI cable is electrical signal shielding. Everything else is personal preference for 99.9% of the population. I bought HDMI cables from ShopBlackBerry, ShopCrackBerry, and BestBuy.
    Well said
    11-23-12 02:00 PM
    If you want to watch movies in your bedroom, your BlackBerry PlayBook connected to a wall-mounted HDTV via HDMI cable and remotely controlled by your BlackBerry smartphone or a Bluetooth keyboard via BlackBerry Bridge works very nicely. If I recall, you can stream movies stored on a network attached storage (NAS) device or a WiFi-enabled external hard drive (Seagate GoFlex 500GB WiFi External Drive).
    castoridae likes this.
    11-23-12 02:59 PM
    I already had a HDMI cable for my camera. I got it off ebay (uk) for a few pounds. Works fine. Got a Dell travel mouse as well (off ebay) which works real nice. Sit back and enjoy.
    castoridae likes this.
    11-23-12 04:29 PM
    If you want to watch movies in your bedroom, your BlackBerry PlayBook connected to a wall-mounted HDTV via HDMI cable and remotely controlled by your BlackBerry smartphone or a Bluetooth keyboard via BlackBerry Bridge works very nicely. If I recall, you can stream movies stored on a network attached storage (NAS) device or a WiFi-enabled external hard drive (Seagate GoFlex 500GB WiFi External Drive).
    I seem to remember something about this - is it that if you just stream it, there is no downloading usage?
    11-23-12 04:37 PM
    I already had a HDMI cable for my camera. I got it off ebay (uk) for a few pounds. Works fine. Got a Dell travel mouse as well (off ebay) which works real nice. Sit back and enjoy.
    The Dell travel mouse sounds pretty neat, I must look into that
    11-23-12 04:39 PM
    Yeah, the mouse works great. All the swipe gestures work. The wheel works to scroll up and down.You can bring up the keyboard to enter text - ok that's a slow way of typing but if you just want to do some internet searching it's good enough.
    castoridae likes this.
    11-23-12 04:44 PM
    Yeah, the mouse works great. All the swipe gestures work. The wheel works to scroll up and down.You can bring up the keyboard to enter text - ok that's a slow way of typing but if you just want to do some internet searching it's good enough.
    well, one of the things I bought for black Friday was a mini keyboard. I almost never turn on my PC anymore since getting my playbook, but typing with one finger is tiring
    11-23-12 06:10 PM
    I seem to remember something about this - is it that if you just stream it, there is no downloading usage?
    If by "download usage" you mean "no need to download the video to the tablet and then watch the video" but simply stream it directly to the tablet for immediate watching, the answer is yes at least for the Seagate GoFlex. The only caveat for the Seagate GoFlex is that you must use the web browser to stream the movies - if my memory has failed me please correct me. A company representative used to post on this forum about the Seagate GoFlex but I cannot attest as to their visit frequency of late.
    castoridae likes this.
    11-24-12 03:36 AM
    If by "download usage" you mean "no need to download the video to the tablet and then watch the video" but simply stream it directly to the tablet for immediate watching, the answer is yes at least for the Seagate GoFlex. The only caveat for the Seagate GoFlex is that you must use the web browser to stream the movies - if my memory has failed me please correct me. A company representative used to post on this forum about the Seagate GoFlex but I cannot attest as to their visit frequency of late.
    Yes, that's what I was given to believe, but I haven't tried it yet. I only had my 8 G iPod touch at the time and I only have 2Gigs of wifi (cheapest Wifi lite billing from Rogers). Now that I have my playbook, I feel more comfortable utilizing this option. I will google Seagate; hadn't heard of them before. Cheers
    11-24-12 09:09 AM