I work with a volunteer driver charity which is considering giving the drivers a Playbook (or a Nexus 7) to each driver so that they can fill in key details of journeys made - at present we are using the drivers' own home systems to update, but we cannot carry on like that. We use Dropbox to share the individual files with each driver, so that they can feed back to the central system. I have the Playbook we are using for testing and seem to have run into an issue.

Docs to Go can read docx (or xlsx) files when they are sent by email, but when the same file is in Dropbox it cannot be read. I have crawled all over the web, and there seems to some kind of issue but I cannot tie it down - doc files can be read, however.

Is this a Docs to Go problem, or is it a Dropbox problem?

I would appreciate some guidance.
    05-25-13 09:03 AM
    Welcome to the forums.

I don't use dropbox, but I don't mind helping you bugtest. Send me a link of a docx from your dropbox (a poem, a song or so. Not your real files!) and I'll try to figure out what the issue is.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-25-13 10:04 AM
    Many thanks for the quick reply.

The chap who runs the car service sent me a docx file this morning, but, when I could not read it, he deleted it and sent me a doc file instead. I cannot talk to him till tomorrow to do some more testing, as he has gone out for the day. He sent me an xlsx file on Thursday by email, and that was fine. In the main it will be xlsx files we will be sending to the drivers. There is a bit of noise about all this on the web, but nothing concrete.
    I will probably download one of the other office products in the next couple of days to begin to zero in on where the problems might be - I just hope it is not Dropbox, because that could kick our project into touch. We will be buying a Nexus 7 next week to see how things work out with that.

I had some super help yesterday, to help me side-load Dropbox in the first place, so I am grateful for the help being extended to us.
    05-25-13 10:29 AM
    In the mean time, I'll see if I can get a few links from DropBox and test.

My guess is there was a problem uploading the file to DropBox and you couldn't open it due to that.

EDIT: I guess my guess was right. I guess I am good at guessing.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...nd-dropbox-api
    Last edited by diegonei; 05-25-13 at 11:06 AM.
    05-25-13 10:43 AM
    I'm a bit surprised that the sideloaded DropBox app even allows you to open a docx file with Docs to go- I don't get that option. However, since you're already familiar with sideloading, you might try sideloading Kingsoft Office, which seems able to open some docs that Docs to go can't (DropBox will let you open docs with Kingsoft). You might also try sideloading ES File Explorer and/or X-Plore, both android file managers that will allow you to access DropBox and various other cloud services. Having several options is a good thing.
    05-25-13 05:28 PM
    Long time no see pao.Speaking of options, there is Files and Folders which will also let you access DropDox (and many other cloud services).But I still think the problem is the files getting corrupted.
    05-25-13 10:37 PM
    But I still think the problem is the files getting corrupted.
    It's possible, but I've found that some doc files open correctly with some programs but not necessarily with others. As an example, a file that I created on my PC using either Word Pad or MS Word 2003 opens correctly with those two programs. It will not, however, open in Docs to Go, Quick Office Pro, or Office Suite Pro. It does open in Kingsoft Office but is rendered completely wrong, while it both opens and is rendered correctly with Smart Office 2. I uploaded the doc to my SugarSync account, and it can be found here- https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D0606085_908_650221055
    05-26-13 12:02 AM
    Many thanks for the advice so far.

This morning we conducted a trial of what we will be doing.

The chap who runs the car service invited me firstly as a PC user, and secondly as a Tablet user (with two different email addresses - the tablet one being a gmail account) to a Dropbox folder. This has a .docx file in it.

The PC read the document file (Word 2010) OK, but the Playbook says "Can't open file. Please download an app to open this file".

The .doc file is still there, and can be read by both the PC and the Playbook with the resident Docs to Go.

So, I will need to try a different Android Office program to help with the diagnosis.

I can only sideload with Google Chrome as I have Windows 8, by the way.
    Last edited by bellandbottle; 05-26-13 at 06:26 AM.
    05-26-13 04:40 AM

So, I will need to try a different Android Office program to help with the diagnosis.

Then try Kingsoft, which can be downloaded here- Kingsoft Office for Playbook and BB10 - Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Business and Productivity Apps :: Android APP Store Blackberry Playbook & Z10 and Q10 Apps
    05-26-13 11:21 AM
    Many thanks for the link.

I have installed Kingsoft, and there are mixed results:

1) When I click on the .docx file in Dropbox, it clearly downloads the document, but I am held in Dropbox.
    2) When I open Kingsoft, the document is there.
    3) When I amend the document and Save, it does so, but not in Dropbox.
    4) When I go back to the .doc file and click on it, Dropbox asks me which app do I want - offering me Docs to Go and Kingsoft.
    5) When I pick Docs to Go, amend the document and Save, it saves to Dropbox, but it creates a new document in doing that.

It is clear that we need to experiment further and, as I mentioned before, we will purchase a Nexus 7 next week. It could be that we will need to pick an alternative to Dropbox as well as trying other office apps.

Many thanks for your help - it is much appreciated.
    05-26-13 01:01 PM
    OK. I think I know what you want to do, and it can be done. First, let me ask if the documents you've opened through the DropBox app were doc files or docx files, since DropBox doesn't give me the option to open docx files with Docs to Go (it does allow opening doc files with DTG). Anyhow, opening a doc or docx file from DropBox, then editing it, and then saving back to DropBox by overwriting the original, involves using another sideloaded app- X-Plore file manager, which can be downloaded here- X-plore File Manager - Personalization and Tools :: Android APP Store Blackberry Playbook & Z10 and Q10 Apps X-Plore is an android file manager which can access DropBox and other cloud services. First, open X-Plore and tap on "Web Storage" (if you don't see it tap on "Show" and then chek "Web Storage"). Then tap "Add Server" and choose DropBox to log on (you'll only have to log on once). Now tap the DropBox icon under Web Storage and navigate to your document. Tap the document and choose Kingsoft to open it. Kingsoft will open and allow you to edit your document. After you're done editing, choose Save in Kingsoft. You're not yet done. Now, do a bottom swipe in Kingsoft to go back to X-Plore. A box will pop up saying that the file was modified and asking it if you want to save it back to DropBox. Choose Yes, and the file will be saved to DropBox, overwriting the original file. Now, you're done.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-26-13 05:05 PM
    I now realise that I should have taken the time to explain exactly what we are hoping to do.

The car service is staffed entirely by volunteers, and provides a service to people who cannot drive, for whatever reason, to get to a doctor or to hospital - the hospital ambulance service is cutting back to a critical patient operation, so we are experiencing increasing demand.

We charge a standard amount for a journey, plus a little bit extra for admin costs. Our admin office operates 3 mornings a week, and we have developed a MS Access based system which tracks client, driver and journey details. The two admin systems operate in Dropbox, and this allows the system architect and the manager to keep an eye on what is going on. After a journey has been completed, we often need to alter the data record, because roadworks may force the driver onto a longer route, or the client may offer a donation in excess of the normal journey cost - that happens quite often. So, at the end of a working day, we send each individual driver a record of journeys to date, in Excel in Dropbox, and he, or she, updates any journey details and saves it back into Dropbox. The car service finance admin person then logs the changes to recognise the donations, and makes sure that the drivers receive the correct amount of money for the journeys done - by bank transfer. All of this is done with Windows 7/8 systems at the administrator end, and we have access (no pun) to the MS charitable system which lets us have MS Office Pro for a very reasonable (probably cost) price. We have discovered, however, that we are asking too much of our drivers in expecting their home systems, and them, to be up to a certain standard - they are selected for their driving and inter-personal skills after all. We are also putting the system developer under pressure, because he is not sure what his system is going to see at the far end.

Just by coincidence, I bought a Playbook last week, and am very pleased with it (I am the volunteer IT support person), and realised that having a tablet for each driver might be the way out of so many problems. We had a discussion on Friday last, we will now do a pilot project to see whether a tablet can do the work, in the way that we need - we can always sell off the Nexus 7 if it does not work out. The key thing is that it should be simple for the driver to what is necessary. It may be that we will have to wait for the (much trailed) $200 Windows tablet coming later in the year, but I think we can do something now.

I hope that helps, and I will do as you ask later today.
    05-27-13 03:49 AM
    OK. Note that the process I described above should work with Excell files too. Note also that the process is really easier than it sounds. Most of what I described involves setting up DropBox in X Plore, and you only need to do this once. X Plore actually will open in the same state in which it was last closed, so if you close the app when you are connected to DropBox,when you reopen it it will reconnect with the same folder open that was previously open- so no real navigation should be necessary. Thus the whole process should involve opening X-Plore, tapping on the file, choosing Kingsoft, editing, saving, then back swipe [maybe twice], then hitting "yes". Not too complicated.
    05-27-13 09:35 AM
    I am getting "failure 500 Package ID" from Chrome Installer for X Plore.

Edit 1: I think I found the problem - I have downloaded the .bar file now.
    Edit 2: I am now getting "please use official version from Google Play
    Last edited by bellandbottle; 05-27-13 at 10:49 AM.
    05-27-13 10:30 AM
    05-27-13 12:00 PM
    I am very much obliged - now installed.

It all works as you said, except a bit easier - after saving, I shut down Kingsoft (X in top RH corner) and X-Plore asked me "do I want to save it".

I saw my PC screen flash blue in the corner - bingo! I then did an update from the PC, and everything showed back on the Playbook.

I have just asked the car service manager to fire up one of the admin laptops, and everything shows fine there too.

He has asked me to pass on our thanks to you and the Crackberry community - this could make a real difference to a lot of people!

And I now understand (ish) what I am doing.
    05-27-13 03:02 PM
    You could give Files & Folders a try. It supports Dropbox, and as it is native to PlayBook it may eliminate any trouble the Android runtime is giving you.
    05-28-13 03:21 AM
    I am very much obliged - now installed.

It all works as you said, except a bit easier - after saving, I shut down Kingsoft (X in top RH corner) and X-Plore asked me "do I want to save it".

I saw my PC screen flash blue in the corner - bingo! I then did an update from the PC, and everything showed back on the Playbook.
    I found a faster way using the android app office suite, just add your dropbox account, open the file, edit it and then save it and the app will save it back to DropBox by overwriting the original.

Here is the bar file:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dwpn8ymyd...206.5.1010.bar
    06-13-13 10:18 PM