After I updated to .668, I had no problems. I downloaded OsmAnd Navigator and turned off wi-fi to try it offline. When I tried to connect to wi-fi, I couldn't connect. I thought it might be the update, so I backed up and tried to downgrade. I wasn't able to, so I did a security wipe so that it would reload with the prior OS. When it finished, it had .668 as the most recent upgrade. How did this happen? I thought it was pulled. Everything seems to be working fine, but I'm confused about getting .668 again.
    08-08-12 10:47 AM
    Glitch in the matrix I assume. Nobody outside of RIM knows how their update system works exactly but I do know it tracks which OS your device is eligible for, if for some reason it managed to capture your device as being eligible for .668 when it was around the first time, it likely allowed it to go through again. Speculation of course, but seems plausible in my mind.
    08-08-12 11:57 AM
    I am not certain since it has been a while but I don't think a security wipe removes the OS. It clears off data and settings. I could be wrong. A Debrick using DM may reload the current os offered by rim.
    08-08-12 11:57 AM
    Thanks for the info. When I used DM to reload my media (which I had backed up before the security wipe), my music and videos were reloaded (except the demo video) - but my pictures were not there. I don't know if they backed up. Any idea where they might be or if they are retrievable?
    08-08-12 12:23 PM
    I don't know why everyone automatically assumes that there is something wrong and then automatically goes to the most drastic measures available (debrick, security wipe, custom firmware, downgrade OS...).

If you have wifi problems, then first try --- turn your Playbook off, turn your router off and then turn them both back on.
    Heavens1 and axeman1000 like this.
    08-08-12 01:24 PM
    I'm sorry. I should have mentioned that I spent two days researching and trying all of the ways that I found to get wifi back. Nothing worked.
    08-08-12 02:15 PM
    That happened to me also, just wish my paid for apps would return?
    08-08-12 02:29 PM
    Thanks for the info. When I used DM to reload my media (which I had backed up before the security wipe), my music and videos were reloaded (except the demo video) - but my pictures were not there. I don't know if they backed up. Any idea where they might be or if they are retrievable?
    I am not sure what's what with the backups these days but DM used ZIP files even though they had a different file extension. So search for your backup and try and of the UNzip tools. Within the HUGE backup zip are smaller zip files. If I recall each type of media had its own zip. You might find your photos inside one of them. You might also try selective restore and see if you have an option.

I tend to backup my media manually myself using drag/drop.
    08-08-12 03:01 PM
    I use a program called Second Copy to sync my Media on my Playbook to a folder on my computer via Wifi every night while its charging.
    08-08-12 05:16 PM
    I wonder if it is worth unloading it. Many users have downloaded it with no problems. It may be easier just to run it until a problem shows itself. Then try to unload it.
    08-08-12 06:57 PM
    Well, Ive had nothing but trouble with OS 668, Ive posted about it on other threads, and now Im stuck with .668 until a new update comes along, could be months away.
    RIM should of pulled the update straight away as soon as the issues appeared but also republished the previous version so that we could roll back if we wanted to, all they needed to do was rename the previous image to a higher version, my playbook has become a joke, I am ashamed to use it in front of people now as it just doesnt do what it is meant to do, I had no issues whatsoever with the previous OS. and no one from RIM is explaining properly what is going on, it reminds me of how they behaved last year when their service was down for nearly a week, this kind of behaviour doesnt gain you customers. and im not generally a complainer, I just hate seeing something so good being spoiled by someones carelesness.

Cheers
    08-08-12 08:26 PM
    That happened to me also, just wish my paid for apps would return?
    I lost my paid apps purchased from app world too. I went to app world to purchase again....to my surprise I got a message "I purchased the app already". I was able to download all of the apps that disappeared with no additional cost.
    08-08-12 09:01 PM
    Well, Ive had nothing but trouble with OS 668, Ive posted about it on other threads, and now Im stuck with .668 until a new update comes along, could be months away.
    RIM should of pulled the update straight away as soon as the issues appeared but also republished the previous version so that we could roll back if we wanted to, all they needed to do was rename the previous image to a higher version, my playbook has become a joke, I am ashamed to use it in front of people now as it just doesnt do what it is meant to do, I had no issues whatsoever with the previous OS. and no one from RIM is explaining properly what is going on, it reminds me of how they behaved last year when their service was down for nearly a week, this kind of behaviour doesnt gain you customers. and im not generally a complainer, I just hate seeing something so good being spoiled by someones carelesness.

Cheers
    From your previous posts, you said you have wifi issues, browser issues, not finding location (which is probably wifi related).

Try turn your wifi router off, clear your Playbook's browser cache, turn off and turn on Adobe Flash Player setting, turn your Playbook off and then turn the wifi router and Playbook on. That's the standard practice for any kind of PC and laptops --- you have a wifi issue, turn your router off and on, you have a browser issue, clear your browser cache.

You don't wipe your laptop and re-install Windows anytime you have a slight problem. I don't know why people try the most drastic measures first (i.e. debrick, security wipe, OS downgrade, custom firmware...).
    08-08-12 09:25 PM
    From your previous posts, you said you have wifi issues, browser issues, not finding location (which is probably wifi related).

Try turn your wifi router off, clear your Playbook's browser cache, turn off and turn on Adobe Flash Player setting, turn your Playbook off and then turn the wifi router and Playbook on. That's the standard practice for any kind of PC and laptops --- you have a wifi issue, turn your router off and on, you have a browser issue, clear your browser cache.

You don't wipe your laptop and re-install Windows anytime you have a slight problem. I don't know why people try the most drastic measures first (i.e. debrick, security wipe, OS downgrade, custom firmware...).
    First off, it is RIM customer reps suggested downgrade. Second, how do you know they didn't try that? Let's face it,we all know turn on turn off game,right?
    08-08-12 10:05 PM
    First off, it is RIM customer reps suggested downgrade. Second, how do you know they didn't try that? Let's face it,we all know turn on turn off game,right?
    People don't give the customer reps all the information that is required --- that's like going to the doctors and not give them a complete medical history. You give them a generalized history and they give you a generalized solution.

Secondly, neither the OP nor der_mit had actually stated whether they shut off their wifi router or not.
    08-08-12 10:15 PM
    Hi all,
    I have done all those things you suggested, turn off router, actually deleted router and re instaled ,re-booted , i re-boot several times a day anyway, clear cache , i clear the cache after every session, and switching off and on flash, all to no avail, and anyway you shouldnt have to do all those things every time you want to use your playbook, and with windows you can uninstal an update that cause problems .
    08-09-12 04:55 AM
    Of course, we shouldn't have to do all these things --- but that is not my point. My point is that you should try these simpler things before you do something more drastic.

A lot of wifi problems are caused by outdated "draft 2.0" router firmware, incorrect router default settings (particularly dd-wrt default settings), and incorrect user configuration (i.e. hiding SSID violates wifi specification and using wide 40 MHz wifi channels in 2.4 GHz is just plain madness)... The Playbook is within its rights to refuse connecting to wifi routers that hides their SSID --- of course there will be end-users who are going to blame RIM for actually following the wifi specification.

A lot of browser problems are either corrupted browser/flash player cache or that they are isolated to certain websites. And I am not blaming these specific websites. I am saying is that if one person goes to these specific websites all the time, they will have their browser crashes all the time.

Wiping your playbook will clear the corrupted browser/flash player cache --- but it is a lot easier to just clear the browser/flash player cache directly.
    Last edited by samab; 08-09-12 at 02:19 PM.
    08-09-12 02:13 PM
    Hi samab, youre speaking sense, i wasn't considering wiping or debricking my playbook, its way too drastic an option for my issue, but as i said before i have cleared the cache and ajusted the flash settings, deleted routers and re installed etc, i do the clearing several times a day, i was just saying that Os 668 was flawed to a lot of devices and it would be nice if rim let us roll back if we wanted to,
    On the whole i agree with ya
    Cheers
    08-09-12 03:34 PM
    There were quite a few Playbook OS updates during the last 16 months that did not even touched the wifi drivers. Of course, every time the Playbook was updatedl --- there were a bunch of people screaming that the new OS update ruined their wifi connection.

Then there are always a bunch of people screaming that this thing runs hot and drains battery like there is no tomorrow --- after they had their Playbook updated. Their only observation was the first handful of hours after the OS update. It is supposed to be drain battery and run hot --- because during the OS update, the Playbook has to unzip hundreds of MB of data, write them to the hard drive, and doing it while the Playbook has no power management. And after the Playbook is fully boot up, it probably has to rebuild the email database.

The number of these flawed complaints are going to vastly outnumber the number of legit complaints. And if you have a flawed router configuration, turning the router off and on ain't going to solve your problem either. They would be worse off if they go back the older OS.
    08-09-12 04:22 PM
    There were quite a few Playbook OS updates during the last 16 months that did not even touched the wifi drivers. Of course, every time the Playbook was updatedl --- there were a bunch of people screaming that the new OS update ruined their wifi connection.

Then there are always a bunch of people screaming that this thing runs hot and drains battery like there is no tomorrow --- after they had their Playbook updated. Their only observation was the first handful of hours after the OS update. It is supposed to be drain battery and run hot --- because during the OS update, the Playbook has to unzip hundreds of MB of data, write them to the hard drive, and doing it while the Playbook has no power management. And after the Playbook is fully boot up, it probably has to rebuild the email database.

The number of these flawed complaints are going to vastly outnumber the number of legit complaints. And if you have a flawed router configuration, turning the router off and on ain't going to solve your problem either. They would be worse off if they go back the older OS.
    Fact PB 64 was working perfectly before update. After allowing a week to "settle in", several reboots and restarts, the battery would drain in a matter of a few hours, with the playbook in standby mode. I really didnt have any browser or wifi issues just the battery. playing Bejeweled would kill the battery in 1.5 hours. Fact Got tired of it and just went to the 2.1 beta and everything works just fine. battery life is back to a full day and several days on standby.I have 2.1 beta on both Plabooks and have had no issues with it. Fact 668 Sux!
    08-09-12 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD